Is it just me or do Barcelona get game changing favors from refs every game?

I think the first and the most obvious thing is obviously the ref isn't cheating, his reputation would be severely damaged if he is judged to be the key factor in a game of this magnitude. United have had a ridiculous amount of dodgy decisions this year, probably our most since fergie retired. I get there is a bad taste in the mouth but that game was neigh on impossible to judge, there was debatable calls every couple of minutes, it was all over the place, psg could have had a man sent off in the same way barca could with verratti. I think the first penalty isn't outrageous at all and the second one came amidst a period of huge pressure where given there is contact its a difficult call for the ref.
Maybe not clear (or not understood)... I meant cheating by some players not the ref.

I was quite clear in last post that United have had dodgy decisions too?

I also get there are decisions that can go either way at times but last night, Barca got a chunk of them. We've all had our say on the pens, I've watched loads of times and nothing anyone can say will change my mind, but each to their own eh? Suarez dived as did Neymar.... defender maybe naive in touching Suarez but he dived. Iniesta's pass turned defender round,you can see he twists and slips but unless he's found a way to overcome basic laws of physics (momentum and gravity), he had no way to choose where he fell - Neymar trod on him then kneed him in the head and went down.

The final slap in the face is Mascherano admitting he fouled Di Maria in the box at 3-1. Which brings back to original point... media rose tinted glasses and their Barca love in. No replays on BT and ITV just said "he fluffed his chance".

No one is saying Barca weren't good last night but I watched it, watched the tape, watched the highlights (I like good football) and I'm comfortable with what I think .... poor decisions, two poor pen decisions for Barca, mistake for Mascherano foul (he's admitted it?), Pique lucky not to get red as would Suarez if ref had correctly given second dive.

Here endeth the passage.... good luck in next round Barca

Milan 2006 Shevchenko's 100% valid goal disallowed due to a foul on Puyol. Upon video review it's shown that not only Shevchenko did not foul Puyol, but there was no contact between them at all.

Chelsea 2009, really no need to write about it.

Arsenal 2011 RVP gets sent off for kicking the ball after ref's whistle. Preposterous decision that happen to occur in moments when Arsenal scored and had Barca on the ropes. Worth mentioning that there was 100K barca fans on the stands and great amount of them whistling. Crazy decision.

Real 2011 Pep's red card even tho the video later showed he didn't touch Alves. Many other decisions in favour of Barcelona.

Milano 2012, penalty awarded to Barcelona without the ball even being in play. There were waiting for Barca player to take corner kick when ref gave them a penalty.

Chelsea 2012, that red card on Terry, penalty and other questionable decisions.

Last year that red card for Torres and nothing for Busquets that almost killed Atletico player.

PSG 2017.

There's no denying that Barcelona gets a lot of help from refs. A LOT.
I'm glad somebody mentioned the AC Milan semi-final. I rarely see that one mentioned but remember it being one of the strangest decisions I have ever seen. Back then I thought "What a minute.." and ten years later it's still just as blatant.

Inter-Barca were Barca fans complain they got robbed is funny considering Pique scored an offside goal and Busquets cheated to get them a man advantage for 70 mins. Fair to say they were the benefactors of poor decisions in that tie.

I see Barca fans defend the decisions and are so brazen as to claim they get the short end but most neutrals it seems tend to agree they get A LOT. Not everybody is a Real Madrid fan or Barca hater. I know people that like them and enjoy their football and can admit they get the most preferred treatment of any team. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Maybe not clear (or not understood)... I meant cheating by some players not the ref.

I also get there are decisions that can go either way at times but last night, Barca got a chunk of them. We've all had our say on the pens, I've watched loads of times and nothing anyone can say will change my mind, but each to their own eh? Suarez dived as did Neymar.... defender maybe naive in touching Suarez but he dived. Iniesta's pass turned defender round,you can see he twists and slips but unless he's found a way to overcome basic laws of physics (momentum and gravity), he had no way to choose where he fell - Neymar trod on him then kneed him in the head and went down.

The final slap in the face is Mascherano admitting he fouled Di Maria in the box at 3-1. Which brings back to original point... media rose tinted glasses and their Barca love in. No replays on BT and ITV just said "he fluffed his chance".

No one is saying Barca weren't good last night but I watched it, watched the tape, watched the highlights (I like good football) and I'm comfortable with what I think .... poor decisions, two poor pen decisions for Barca, mistake for Mascherano foul (he's admitted it?), Pique lucky not to get red as would Suarez if ref had correctly given second dive.

I'd agree that Suarez dived, but I disagree that Neymer dived. That's not to say that Neymer didn't look to create contact, but I think it was perfectly normal for him to take a path to the ball. Whether you want to say no to the penalty call doesn't mean he dived. Suarez - absolute dive.

Also, you're right about the penalties no called against Barcelona in this match (and other matches).

:lol: This thread. Some guy even said that Terry's red in Barca - Chelsea 2-2 was actually a proof of Chelsea being robbed. There goes any sense of reason. If there ever was one.

Well we aren't but that's not rellevant to the discussion. They wouldn't have scored six without help from the ref. And that second goal was as flukey as it can get, not really a display of their capabilities.
It is relevant because it isn't a dubious 1-0 or 2-1. Yes, the ref gave a soft penalty but they still had to score another 5 totally legit goals. Hats off to them for doing so.

You can get cheated and still win. I remember Chelsea getting a raw deal in 2005 also and still qualifying. Atletico last season too. The list goes on.

People saying it was 6-1 so how can the ref's influence your not taking the context of the tie into affect. Barca HAD to win 6-1 and they did. Barely. To suggest it was fair and square is insane.

Last edited:

And I am comfortable with what I've landed on but completely respect why you think differently and I think you've put it across well, you're not holding an out there view like some in here, its just one I personally don't agree with.

In the bigger picture though if we were to rate in order of importance why we got the outcome we did, I would say 1) Neymar was inspired, 2) barca were incredibly brave tactically, Enrique 3) barca players playing well 4) Unai emery poor starting tactics 5) psg failing to adapt after they got the goal, or after any other even in the match both on the part of players and manager 6) psg players to a man being poor 7) referee 8) atmosphere etc etc.

You know the bitterness has reached a different level when a 6-1 bottle job is because of the ref.

Keep it up guys. This is hilarious.

You know the bitterness has reached a different level when a 6-1 bottle job is because of the ref.

The refereeing is one factor amongst others obviously.

You see Life Black or White. Hilarious.

Strikes me as RAWK esq, just switch out United with Barcelona.

You can get cheated and still win. I remember Chelsea getting a raw deal in 2005 also and still qualifying. Atletico last season too. The list goes on.
Wait. That's the game where Ronaldinho scored that beautiful goal, and where Chelsea went through because of a goal scored after the most blatant foul in the box? Atletico, where Barcelona perhaps had penalty denied at the very end? You are trolling now, right?

You also mentioned the Inter tie. Feel free to check out not only that Pique's goal wasn't offside and Inter player actually deservedly got second yellow, but that there also was an offside goal for Inter, at least one stonewall penalty for Barcelona in the first leg, not to mention Barca had goal denied in final minutes.

Just sit down and watch it all again, then read what you wrote. But then again, I know arguments and reason mean nothing to your ilk.

The refereeing is one factor amongst others obviously.

You see Life Black or White. Hilarious.

It feels to me as though some are pushing it as the factor. As i said earlier in this thread, i'll accept the view that we got some controversial calls go our way but it would be nice if factors away from the ref are also acknowledged.

It feels to me as though some are pushing it as the factor. As i said earlier in this thread, i'll accept the view that we got some controversial calls go our way but it would be nice if factors away from the ref are also acknowledged.

You should look at all the threads related to PSG :D

I haven't changed view since end of match.... if Barca had won 6-1 without dodgy decisions, it'd be greatest come back ever. If they'd won 4-1 without dodgy decisions, it'd be a great effort. But it's the fact that the media are ignoring the decisions and only focussing on the result/record books that annoys some people.

In fact, that's the exact point you're making.... that some people are being blinkered?

You want people to acknowledge the other factors and I definitely do... Neymar was superb and Barca as a team were very good last night. I'd like the media to say it was a great effort and decisions went their way/helped.

Well, this thread has been busy since last night. I don't buy into conspiracy theories at all, think that PSG has pretty much only themselves to blame in a 6-1 loss but I don't understand another thing.

Both Suarez and Neymar are known for their daving antics. All referees prepare themselves for a match and know that very well, as it is a case with our Ashley. They will try to make and provoke a penalty out of a slight contact in the box. With that in mind referees should punish such a behavior not encourage it. If you know that a player has a history of simulating than you should be aware of it and be extra careful when you judging a situation in the box.
That second penalty was a clear evidence of it. A slight contact and he goes down. For me, it wasn't a penalty but even if it is a 50-50 situation you don't make the call because it's Suarez and because of his history on the pitch.

This way and with these kind of criteria you just encourage such behavior. No wonder that they keep on doing it. These goes for all such players, that's why I mentioned Ashley.

http://www.punditarena.com/football...tant-mascherano-vs-di-maria-penalty-incident/

Quick Google search and this comes up.... ignore the actual comments (unless you think the pens were dodgy) but the video on the Neymar pen is v clear (for me). The defender has turned and slipped.... at no point does he try and move his body position and if you watch, he's looking away from Neymar? Meanwhile Neymar (who can run anywhere he wants to), decides to tread on him and knee him in the head and THIS is what means he "falls".

I'm easy with everyone having their own view of whether it's a pen .... but I don't think the defender can be accused of controlling his fall (and gravity) and trying to twist to land in front of Neymar, who he's not looking at. There's no intent (for me) and we'd have a load of pens for honest slips

Football eh.... bloody hell!

Last edited:

Oh so you dont agree suarez dived ? Neymar was also not a penalty one bit. It was unintentional like in the case of machcerano handball.

Oh so you dont agree suarez dived ? Neymar was also not a penalty one bit. It was unintentional like in the case of machcerano handball.

Intention has no baring on a foul.

Inter player actually deservedly got second yellow
What. You can't be serious here. Btw that tie had a million mistakes by the refs, beginning with milito's offside(was 2 meters onside) early in the first leg, 1-on-1 with valdes

Everybody who says the Neymar incident is not a penalty doesn't not understand basic football rules. An attacker has the right to follow the ideal trajectory towards the ball without being tackled by an opponent. He doesn't have to jump over tackles that go his way, or go round players that block his normal run towards the ball. Meunier slips, and goes into Neymar's running path. Neymar follows through with his run towards the ball and is tripped by the PSG payer. Clear penalty. I've seen some stupid things being said regarding this incident, like Neymar dived (lol), or that it was not a penalty because the PSG player didn't intend to commit a foul, without even knowing that the element of intent only exists in hand ball situation. Or that Neymar ran into him. Neymar does not have to do anything else than follow the ball, which he does. The rules protect him in this case. If the ball moves in a direction, and Neymar moves the other way and makes contact with the defender, it's an offensive foul. But Neymar follows the ball here. It's Meunier who moves towards Neymar (because he slips), and not towards the ball. Clear pen all day long. Not even sure why some keep claiming otherwise. I've watched at least 6 different transimissions (ESPN brazil, russian transmission, BT spots, another english station, sky sport Italia and oters), and all said it was a penalty

What. You can't be serious here. Btw that tie had a million mistakes by the refs, beginning with milito's offside(was 2 meters onside) early in the first leg, 1-on-1 with valdes
Well, feel free to watch it again. Of course, there were numerous bad decisions in that tie, but count them all and come up with conclusion who actually benefited in the end.

Last edited:
Then Mascherano's handball should have been a penalty. Also, Mascherano's trip on di Maria was missed by the ref, the linesman and the dude behind the goal line.

That is a hand ball. Everybody should know by now that intenton is very important in deciding hand ball cases in today's football. It's different with fouls.

Everybody who says the Neymar incident is not a penalty doesn't not understand basic football rules. An attacker has the right to follow the ideal trajectory towards the ball without being tackled by an opponent. He doesn't have to jump over tackles that go his way, or go round players that block his normal run towards the ball. Meunier slips, and goes into Neymar's running path. Neymar follows through with his run towards the ball and is tripped by the PSG payer. Clear penalty. I've seen some stupid things being said regarding this incident, like Neymar dived (lol), or that it was not a penalty because the PSG player didn't intend to commit a foul, without even knowing that the element of intent only exists in hand ball situation. Or that Neymar ran into him. Neymar does not have to do anything else than follow the ball, which he does. The rules protect him in this case. If the ball moves in a direction, and Neymar moves the other way and makes contact with the defender, it's an offensive foul. But Neymar follows the ball here. It's Meunier who moves towards Neymar (because he slips), and not towards the ball. Clear pen all day long. Not even sure why some keep claiming otherwise. I've watched at least 6 different transimissions (ESPN brazil, russian transmission, BT spots, another english station, sky sport Italia and oters), and all said it was a penalty

I can agree with the Neymer penalty. Even if a player jumps out of the way and ref feels that the tackle impeded the attacker, he can still call a foul.

It is relevant because it isn't a dubious 1-0 or 2-1. Yes, the ref gave a soft penalty but they still had to score another 5 totally legit goals. Hats off to them for doing so.
Yeah of course, I'm not denying that but the fact still remains that they would have been out had only one penalty not been given, and that's without even factoring in all the other bad decisions. That's why I'm saying it's irelevant how good Barca played or how bad Psg did.

Then Mascherano's handball should have been a penalty. Also, Mascherano's trip on di Maria was missed by the ref, the linesman and the dude behind the goal line.

Its hand ball, go and review the rules, in the case of handball intention is important. Not sure why you're bringing up the Mascherano's trip. The point is, with regards to a foul, intention is not important.

That is a hand ball. Everybody should know by now that intention is very important in deciding hand ball cases in today's football. It's different with fouls.
It's one thing to say the rule reads as ......... but, practical application, in my opinion, says that is a handball because they say that the hand is extended from the body. I'd say that is given at least 3/4 of the time. United got one like that v Bournemouth and were penalized for one v Liverpool.

Well, feel free to watch it again. He was already on the yellow, and the second one would have been deserved, regardless of histrionics and embellishing.

Of course, there were numerous bad decisions in that tie, but again, feel free to count them all and come up with conclusion who actually benefited in the end.

Watch that tie few times. Both teams got wrong decisions, but overall Inter fully deserved to go through, no doubt about it.

It's one thing to say the rule reads as ......... but, practical application, in my opinion, says that is a handball because they say that the hand is extended from the body. I'd say that is given at least 3/4 of the time. United got one like that v Bournemouth and were penalized for one v Liverpool.

Have you seen the handball by Lichtsteiner in the CL final, Barcelona - Juventus 3-1? Hand is away from the body, but in a normal position. Not a penalty. Same here. Hand extended from the body, but in a perfectly natural position when doing a sliding tackle. Not a penalty according to the FIFA rules. If some guys here want to judge by their own rules though, fine by me.

Well, feel free to watch it again. Of course, there were numerous bad decisions in that tie, but count them all and come up with conclusion who actually benefited in the end.
nobody really did, final result was fair. Were many mistakes on both sides.

Have you seen the handball by Lichtsteiner in the CL final, Barcelona - Juventus 3-1? Hand is away from the body, but in a normal position. Not a penalty. Same here. Hand extended from the body, but in a perfectly natural position when doing a sliding tackle. Not a penalty according to the FIFA rules. If some guys here want to judge by their own rules though, fine by me.
actually, i'm not sure about that. Hand was on the ground for leverage, i don't remember what Collina said about that. I do remember him saying if a player goes into a sliding tackle and extends his arm over the ground, it's penalty.

actually, i'm not sure about that. Hand was on the ground for leverage, i don't remember what Collina said about that. I do remember him saying if a player goes into a sliding tackle and extends his arm over the ground, it's penalty.

Maybe years ago. Now it isn't. FIFA says, and I quote, 'position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement'. Does the hand move towards the ball? No. Is the ball in a normal position for a sliding tackle? Yes. Not a penalty for me. There was also a hand ball incident in PSG's 16m. box as well. Also not a penalty.

Maybe years ago. Now it isn't. FIFA says, and I quote, 'position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement'. Does the hand move towards the ball? No. Is the ball in a normal position for a sliding tackle? Yes. Not a penalty for me. There was also a hand ball incident in PSG's 16m. box as well. Also not a penalty.
Was 2014 when Collina said that(and he's still the boss of UEFA refs?). Used a handball by manolas against city in City-Roma as an example. It wasn't given and he said it was a mistake

Was 2014 when Collina said that(and he's still the boss of UEFA refs?). Used a handball by manolas against city in City-Roma as an example. It wasn't given and he said it was a mistake

Either way, the rules must be unitary. If Mascherano's was a penalty, so was Lichtsteiner's in the CL final. From the FIFA rules, the tendency is not to give penalties for handball unless you are sure that there is a deliberate intent from the defender to commit a handball. Concepts like ball - hand distance, hand to ball or ball to hand case are important. Both these things are in favour of Mascherano (short distance, and ball to hand case).

I just disagree, he needed to alter his trajectory by an inch or two.
He initiated the contact not the defender who's obstruction was minimal.

Its the kind of bullshit 'foul' and gamesmanship that makes football increasingly tiresome to watch.

I just disagree, he needed to alter his trajectory by an inch or two.
He initiated the contact not the defender who's obstruction was minimal.

Its the kind of bullshit 'foul' and gamesmanship that makes football increasingly tiresome to watch.

OK. I respect that. For me, it's a blatant penalty, and it's also what the rules say. Also, in every single transmission (from russian, to italian, to brazilian or argentinian, even the two british broadcasts) I saw the commentators called it a penalty as well.

OK. I respect that. For me, it's a blatant penalty. Also, in every single transmission (from russian, to italian, to brazilian or argentinian) I saw the commentators called it a penalty as well.

Maybe because you were given a penalty?
Like how good a grasp of these languages do you have to understand the context of them saying penalty?

Maybe because you were given a penalty?
Like how good a grasp of these languages do you have to understand the context of them saying penalty?

Good enough. I watch broadcasts in other languages often. Plus, romanian language is of latin heritage, as well as italian, spanish, portuguese or others. In romanian, 'claro' means 'clar' (clear in english), just an example. So when a guy says 'Penal, claro (or claramente)' I have a pretty good idea what he is saying.

Good enough. I watch broadcasts in other languages often. Plus, romanian language is of latin heritage, as well as italian, spanish, brazilian or others. In romanian, 'claro' means 'clar'. So when a guy says 'Penal, claro (or claramente)' I have a pretty good idea what he is saying.

Fair enough, I still disagree.
It might fit the letter of the law but i think its very much against the spirit of the rules.
I'd wave play on and encourage him to stay on his feet if given a chance like that in future (he easily could have imo)