Is it just me or do Barcelona get game changing favors from refs every game?

Have we balls had a ridiculous amount of dodgy decisions, does your memory only cover the last few games or something? At the start we had loads going against us.

/threadderailment

We have had loads going against us and loads going for us. That's my point.

Cheers.

Barça needed an astonishingly poor opposition goalkeeping display and the willpower and determination to score 3 more goals in the final minutes of the game. The ref can't control that. They went through with virtually the last kick of the game. If the ref wanted to put them through, he would've found a much easier way to do it, such as giving Suarez a penalty for his first dive where he produced a yellow instead. It's a ridiculous thought process.

That said he did still make mistakes. The second penalty was a terrible call but the blame is with Suarez, not necessarily the ref. The ref needs help in these situations. Video reffing can't come soon enough. The Di Maria - Mascherano incident is interesting but again, very hard to see. I've seen the replay several times and I still can't say. A video ref with access to much better images would've helped here too.

It's Suarez who is the main villain in my opinion, not the ref.

What about that blatant handball by Mascherano?

Dude ffs Monaco vs. City had only 3 minutes added even tho there was more goals and same amount of penalties.

How would a handball and holding down a player not to score be a soft call?

Barcelona got 2 ridiculous penalties, 3 weren't called for PSG that were much more persuasive and easier to call.

You can dance around it as much as you want but the truth remains that ref's pushed Barcelona through... As they always do.

If tables were turned and same decisions were in barcas favor you'd be fuming right now.

If barca would have got foul for that kind of handball you would have been outraged, you would have been right. Its about two yards away and natural position. You could just as much give a freekick/pen for the cavani handball in the wall. No way is that even a debate. The other one he has already shot, it would be about as soft as the suarez pen, if he'd have given it then it would have been soft but so was suarez, so fair enough on that one.

First barca one was a penalty. Second one probably not but there is contact.

I would be fuming definitely, in the same way I'd be fuming if I was a Southampton fan, or a Bournemouth fan, or a united fan, for different games different reasons, the referees aren't perfect.

I'm gunna call it quits there as we will go around in circles and you seem very bitter/outraged about this which is fair enough if you believe theres a global conspiracy for Barcelona to win it. The result made me happy, great comeback

They do seem to get a lot of luck in the CL, it surely can't all be coincidence.

Drogba: "It is a disgrace!" :lol:

3xwa3yv.jpg

There you have a video of Mascherano post game interview where he openly admitted fouling Di Maria.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5ybbzx/mascherano_admits_to_fouling_di_maría_in_the_box/

I talked with a colleague of mine today about Barca. He thinks that whenever there is a pen or a decision against them there is rehearsed procedure happening where each player has a specific role. 3-4 players sprint toward the official. Goalkeeper towards the linesman, one player to the ref behind the goal each player complaining about the decision. Over a game they would put enough pressure on the ref to give them one dodgy decision. I wonder if they practice this in training.

If barca would have got foul for that kind of handball you would have been outraged, you would have been right. Its about two yards away and natural position. You could just as much give a freekick/pen for the cavani handball in the wall. No way is that even a debate. The other one he has already shot, it would be about as soft as the suarez pen, if he'd have given it then it would have been soft but so was suarez, so fair enough on that one.

First barca one was a penalty. Second one probably not but there is contact.

I would be fuming definitely, in the same way I'd be fuming if I was a Southampton fan, or a Bournemouth fan, or a united fan, for different games different reasons, the referees aren't perfect.

I'm gunna call it quits there as we will go around in circles and you seem very bitter/outraged about this which is fair enough if you believe theres a global conspiracy for Barcelona to win it. The result made me happy, great comeback

Milan 2006 Shevchenko's 100% valid goal disallowed due to a foul on Puyol. Upon video review it's shown that not only Shevchenko did not foul Puyol, but there was no contact between them at all.

Chelsea 2009, really no need to write about it.

Arsenal 2011 RVP gets sent off for kicking the ball after ref's whistle. Preposterous decision that happen to occur in moments when Arsenal scored and had Barca on the ropes. Worth mentioning that there was 100K barca fans on the stands and great amount of them whistling. Crazy decision.

Real 2011 Pep's red card even tho the video later showed he didn't touch Alves. Many other decisions in favour of Barcelona.

Milano 2012, penalty awarded to Barcelona without the ball even being in play. There were waiting for Barca player to take corner kick when ref gave them a penalty.

Chelsea 2012, that red card on Terry, penalty and other questionable decisions.

Last year that red card for Torres and nothing for Busquets that almost killed Atletico player.

PSG 2017.

There's no denying that Barcelona gets a lot of help from refs. A LOT.

I talked with a colleague of mine today about Barca. He thinks that whenever there is a pen or a decision against them there is rehearsed procedure happening where each player has a specific role. 3-4 players sprint toward the official. Goalkeeper towards the linesman, one player to the ref behind the goal each player complaining about the decision. Over a game they would put enough pressure on the ref to give them one dodgy decision. I wonder if they practice this in training.

Dude remember Guardiola times? You had all 11 players running to ref to pressure him. Valdes sprinting 100 yards for it every time.

Milan 2006 Shevchenko's 100% valid goal disallowed due to a foul on Puyol. Upon video review it's shown that not only Shevchenko did not foul Puyol, but there was no contact between them at all.

Arsenal 2011 RVP gets sent off for kicking the ball after ref's whistle. Preposterous decision that happen to occur in moments when Arsenal scored and had Barca on the ropes. Worth mentioning that there was 100K barca fans on the stands and great amount of them whistling. Crazy decision.

Real 2011 Pep's red card even tho the video later showed he didn't touch Alves. Many other decisions in favour of Barcelona.

Milano 2012, penalty awarded to Barcelona without the ball even being in play. There were waiting for Barca player to take corner kick when ref gave them a penalty.

Last year that red card for Torres and nothing for Busquets that almost killed Atletico player.

PSG 2017.

There's no denying that Barcelona gets a lot of help from refs. A LOT.

My advice is to stop watching barca, you clearly don't enjoy it.

I really don't care for conspiracies.

PSG 2017.
And there's an equally long list of decisions that went against them, often from those same matches. I'm sure resident fans of the club could write it for you immediately. We're talking about the team that lost the league title on the last day, and going through CL semi-finals also, with clear goals disallowed in final minutes. Yet somehow nobody seemed bothered.

And there's an equally long list of mistakes that damaged them, often from those same matches. I'm sure resident fans of the club could write it for you immediately. We're talking about the team that lost the title on the last day and going through CL semi-finals with clear goals disallowed, yet somehow nobody seemed bothered.

Those are just some of the examples dude, there is more, a lot more.

What about that blatant handball by Mascherano?
I would've given it, but I disagree that it's blatant. The handball happened during his tackling motion, that's always a tough one. At least the ref was consistent and didn't give any of the other handball shouts. He clearly didn't want to give one unless he could see clear intent, so I can more or less accept that. It makes his decision to give the second penalty all the more disappointing though.

I understand some people have strong beliefs and tend to be irrational. But really, why bother with football if it gives you so much grief and negativity? It's a game after all, and it's supposed to be fun an beautiful. Better stick to actual conspiracy theories or whatever, if you're into hate and paranoia.

Some of them were decent decisions. Terry and Torres deserved to be sent off, Terry kicked Sanchez for no reason at all whilst Torres was fouling players despite being booked. You also totally disregarded in the arsenal tie Barcelona scored a perfectly legitimate goal but was ruled out for offside.

Why some people tend to undermine the influence of favourable decisions for Barcelona by saying it's a conspiracy theory .

There's no conspiracy theories, there are facts.

Ffs you all have eyes, rewatch those moments and that's it. People aren't making shiit up, it's there on the tape.

Just ask Barca fans, and they'll give you even more decisions that went against them, for example in famous Chelsea and Inter ties. But what's the point, really?

I understand some people have strong beliefs and tend to be irrational. But really, why bother with football if it gives you so much grief and negativity? It's a game after all, and it's supposed to be fun an beautiful. Better stick to actual conspiracy theories or whatever, if you're into hate and paranoia.

No hate and no paranoia.

Like any player on a pitch, a referee is a human being who can be influenced by diverse things.

A referee is part of the game: his good or bad decisions impact the game.

Nobody denies the fact that PSG delivered an atrocious performance.

What you care for is up to you and you alone but the fact stand - Barcelona always gets favourable decisions from ref's.

There will be many going against them as well. Its not difficult, if you dominate a game as they did yesterday and there are an array of 'incidents' due to that pressure you are bound to get lucky on some. Its the same reason united apparently had the refs in their pockets, if the ball is in the box for the majority of the game, there are going to be incidents, refs will get some wrong. bookings, reds etc again refs aren't infallible.

Barcelona's firs goal: Suarez comes from an offside position.
Neither penalty was anywhere close to cast iron. First was a total nonsense; if that was a penalty we should have had about 10 more than we have this season. Second: did someone assassinate Suarez? Awful referring - was it Kevin Frioend?
4th goal: no idea what the keeper was doing.
Best goal of the night, by a mile: Cavani's

Wow.

Alternatively you could just watch a game of football without giving two shits about any of that. Care all you want about the off field stuff, but on the pitch it's 11v11, always been the same.
They are diving on the field.:)

Barca should have had 2 penalties and they got them. Suarez was definitely fouled from behind and ref gave the correct decision.

PSG should have had a penalty but the ref was not brave enough to give the decision in such a hostile atmosphere.

Is Calciopoli a conspiracy? A myth?

Actually yes, do you want a PhD thesis in coups & coups d'etat here on the caf? It is incredible how much purity fans pretend to see in football and its environment. Referees are mere humans and always favour the alpha team on the pitch, it is anthropology on one side and self preservation instinct on the other.

Barca should have had 2 penalties and they got them. Suarez was definitely fouled from behind and ref gave the correct decision.

PSG should have had a penalty but the ref was not brave enough to give the decision in such a hostile atmosphere.
And that's about all there is to it. Two marginal penalties, one given and another not. It happens, for various reasons: flow of the game, pressure, compensation, or simple fact of human perception. Barca also arguably had one that wasn't given, in final minutes vs Atletico last year, IIRC? It goes around.

Last edited:
They are also scoring 6 goals when they need them. When was the last time we looked even remotely capable of doing that?
Well we aren't but that's not relevant to the discussion. They wouldn't have scored six without help from the ref. And that second goal was as flukey as it can get, not really a display of their capabilities.

Last edited:
And that's about all there is to it. Two marginal penalties, one given and another not. It happens, for various reasons: flow of the game, pressure, compensation, or simply bad judgement. Barca also arguably had one that wasn't given, in final minutes vs Atletico last year, IIRC? It goes around.

Pretty sure for these exact reason they will have a very bad game with referees going on in the competition, so that the same pretending being saints today will cry wolf in force tomorrow.

Pretty sure for these exact reason they will have a very bad game with referees going on in the competition, so that the same pretending being saints today will cry wolf in force tomorrow.
Well, that's only natural, people being subjective and all. But for some reason there is a strong and pervasive sense of hostility towards that club from large number of fans, often instigated through media by perpetuating certain myths and misconceptions.

:)

If I had to blame somebody, it would be the coach who made some mistakes.

Unai Emery

Yep, definitely tactically outclassed there, he fell in to similar pressing traps as he set in the first game. I doubt he thought barca had the balls to press as high as they did, because it was genuinely unbelievable how high risk they played, it was fifa all out attack. He didn't adapt quick enough because I guess he thought ultimately with that amount of space on the counter eventually they would get a goal which they did. That last 8 minutes though, he just needed them to try and play a pass, I don't think they played a single pass outside of kick offs in the last 8 minutes, players so mentally weak. its like that city qpr game where they gave them the ball straight back, i'm still bitter about that.

Actually yes, do you want a PhD thesis in coups & coups d'etat here on the caf? It is incredible how much purity fans pretend to see in football and its environment. Referees are mere humans and always favour the alpha team on the pitch, it is anthropology on one side and self preservation instinct on the other.

No, thanks!

In the 2000s, Aulas (Lyon) used to terrify the French referees.

It wouldn't surprise me. Anything to get an edge and I think ref's are so annoyed by it they just give in and hope that's enough.