Is it just me or do Barcelona get game changing favors from refs every game?

In this thread we see a very concentrated dose of salt. I hope barca win the final via 3x non penalties so I can come and watch everyone cry like babies here :lol::lol::lol:

So when you go by the rules, Neymar should get a penalty for sticking his leg out in front of a running opponent? Because that's what brings him down. Meunier literally does nothing other than run (while they grapple at each other, mind), Neymar throws his right leg out, Meunier runs into it (and could literally do nothing in order to avoid doing so) and Neymar goes down. How in the world is that ever a penalty?

As for Messi: I can't, with any kind of certainty, tell whether the tug continued into the area or not, so claiming that to be a clear penalty reeks of desperation.

Neymar follows the ball in the first instance. Meunier doesn't even look at the ball goes straight to stop Neymar with both hands (you could even see he is moving away from the ball and his eyes only follow Neymar). Neymar is not grappling Meunier, he is trying to get to the pass made by Iniesta. You have both elements for what constitutes a penalty. You have no intent of playing the ball from the defender, and you have contact with the other player who is normally trying to reach the through ball provided by a teammate. That is a clear penalty for me. No matter if it is Barca, Chelsea, Bayern, Zenit or whoever.

2nd one, I stopped the frame when Verratti let's go of Messi and is also inside the box. Certainly not outside. That is also a penalty, but I agree it's harder to spot in normal speed. However, the referee didn't even award a free kick, and the foul is out of the question. The freekick could have easily been another goal.

Bias aside, those two instances are what I would conisder legitimate penalty claims for several reasons, namely PSG players not even trying to play the ball, only going to stop the attacking player, contact exists, and the occurence is inside the box, even if it's close in Messi's case.

But it's Barca, they are cheats, so it serves them right that they were not given. I tell you right now that if Martial would've been instead of Neymar in the first picture, and Mata in the 2nd, most United fans in here would screem penalty for weeks.

You don't think Barca or you guys have had the benefit more than other teams? I find that hard to believe.
Maybe my memory is clouded by the Nani sending off 4 years ago but Barca certainly have something sus going on with UEFA.
They benefit more than other teams. They don't benefit more than other BIG teams. They do tend to get favoured against other big teams though, that's true

Last edited:

I still think it's soft. Wouldn't be too angry if it wasn't given. Would be far from pleased if that was given against us. Not convinced the defender needed to touch Suarez there, Marquinhos was asking for trouble by touching Suarez in the area. He gave the ref a decision to make.

Your trying too hard to create something that's not there. Those decisions would only go to Barcelona, but under normal Football rules even Liverpool wouldn't get them or claim them. If those are pens then Mascherano's handball is clear as day and his foul on Di Maria is two pens.

Barca got blatant and obvious favoritism again. Get over it.
Actually people in this thread are the ones trying to create something that's not there. Suarez penalty is the only real controversial/bad decision, the rest were either spot on decisions (like Neymar's penalty which is not even up for debate), or decisions that would not be given normally by most refs (like Mascherano's foul on Di Maria when he took the shot, or Mascherano's hand ball).

Barcelona made a tremendous comeback and won again. Get over it.

Everyone seems to have ignored Marquinhos' legs. He clumsily ran into him which tripped Suarez. The hand wasn't the foul.
Suarez is obviously a huge cheating cnut but the defender turned and ran without looking where Suarez was.

Everyone seems to have ignored Marquinhos' legs. He clumsily ran into him which tripped Suarez. The hand wasn't the foul.
Suarez is obviously a huge cheating cnut but the defender turned and ran without looking where Suarez was.
By looking at the video replay you can try to argue about the arm or the leg (which both made contact) but both were in reality more intent or 'touching' than making actual physical impact, and I'm sure if the ref had seen the replay he wouldn't have given it. However, the way the PSG defender came into Suarez and showed intent to make contact with both the arm and the leg (and even touched Suarez both with his arm and his leg) made it very difficult for the ref not to give the penalty from where he was standing, and I'm pretty sure most refs in his position would have given it as well.

1- So far this is bullsh*t.

2- Marca (Madrid's paper) is the only source that have reported about this so far.

3- This is what they actually reported (literally): Marca claim Aytekin could be demoted to lesser games and may even be sidelined from officiating all together as Uefa wait for the heat to die down."

Deniz Ayetkin, the infamous ref, won't take charge of any prominent UCL match again. . . UEFA don't really give more chances to loose cannons (AKA bad referees) like Ayetkin like they did with Overbro & Hannson.

Both were penalties imo. Sure Suarez made the most of it but if he doesn't go down he gets no penalty and is obstructed from shooting

1- So far this is bullsh*t.

2- Marca (Madrid's paper) is the only source that have reported about this so far.

3- This is what they actually reported (literally): Marca claim Aytekin could be demoted to lesser games and may even be sidelined from officiating all together as Uefa wait for the heat to die down."

Get outta here with your facts!

Your sensibility doesn't fit the narrative.

Banning Aytekin for essentially one (sort of) wrong penalty call would be ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if they take him out of the current CL season to avoid controversy, but if they would treat everyone like that they'd soon run out of refs who are still allowed to officiate.

By looking at the video replay you can try to argue about the arm or the leg (which both made contact) but both were in reality more intent or 'touching' than making actual physical impact, and I'm sure if the ref had seen the replay he wouldn't have given it. However, the way the PSG defender came into Suarez and showed intent to make contact with both the arm and the leg (and even touched Suarez both with his arm and his leg) made it very difficult for the ref not to give the penalty from where he was standing, and I'm pretty sure most refs in his position would have given it as well.

I agree, I don't think there was any intent at all. Just clumsiness. He clipped him enough to knock his knee into the other leg which tripped him. Suarez obviously makes the most of it so we'll never know if it was enough of a trip to knock him down. Unless you're making a play on the ball you can't get away with touching a player much from behind when they're right in front of the goal.

I'm not one for making football a non-contact sport. Just have little sympathy for naive defenders. Easier said than done in the heat of a game like that but that's still an attribute.

I do agree with the thread theme that Barca get the rub of the green more often than not. Madrid do as well but it doesn't make it right. unfair to the teams they play.

Banning Aytekin for essentially one (sort of) wrong penalty call would be ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if they take him out of the current CL season to avoid controversy, but if they would treat everyone like that they'd soon run out of refs who are still allowed to officiate.

Precisely and he actually gave a very composed & balanced performance compared to some of the nonsense we've seen in this season alone from other refs

I still think it's soft. Wouldn't be too angry if it wasn't given. Would be far from pleased if that was given against us. Not convinced the defender needed to touch Suarez there, Marquinhos was asking for trouble by touching Suarez in the area. He gave the ref a decision to make.

Absolutely soft but easy to see why it was given too. Like I've said earlier on, I would've been happier had the ref awarded any 1 of 2 penalties for Neymar in the 1st half that were even more reasonable to call. Moreover, the theme here is the same, you sit back and defend in numbers then penalties are more likely to occur

Rewatching the match a few times since Wednesday, still amazes the level of high pressure by Barcelona for such sustained periods of the match pinning PSG just outside their box - I'm not sure I've ever seen Barcelona pressure that well before

Deniz Ayetkin, the infamous ref, won't take charge of any prominent UCL match again. . . UEFA don't really give more chances to loose cannons (AKA bad referees) like Ayetkin like they did with Overbro & Hannson.

Cnuty Cackir's stock has only risen after his travesty of a performance against us when we played Real Madrid.

Funny enough, back in 2015 in the penultimate game of La Liga, Messi scores a goal that is ruled offside. Athletico draw that game 1-1 and win the league. So in short that decision cost Barca the title.

A lot of people forget that, in fact even Barca fans themselves kinda just accepted it.

Funny enough, back in 2015 in the penultimate game of La Liga, Messi scores a goal that is ruled offside. Athletico draw that game 1-1 and win the league. So in short that decision cost Barca the title.

A lot of people forget that, in fact even Barca fans themselves kinda just accepted it.

Some of us haven't forgotten. It was the last day of the season too but it was Lahoz as referee...so, predictable

Barca are the biggest cnuts in football. I dislike Real Madrid as well but at least they thrive on being cnuts and happily accept it.

Barca peddle this 'More than a club' myth like they're the saints of the football world.

I had huge respect for them in the 80s and 90s but hate them these days.

I don't believe in conspiracies, they won all the trophies because they were the best but the PSG game was too much for the referee
Bigger picture is that refs in Spain have been actively screwing Barca for years
The bigger picture could be that last year you got a récord of penalties ,unbroken from the 80's or only a couple of penalties against in the last 2 seasons, the paradise of Mascherano.

Last edited:
Bigger picture is that refs in Spain have been actively screwing Barca for years
Of course. You weren't in a position to be able to win the league because of the refs in the first place :rolleyes:

Also "Graziano Cesari one of the best referees in italy" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: the man's a punchline

Any notion that Barca are getting screwed in Spain is ridiculous. Nearly every game I see in Liga they get something big. Real Madrid too but didn't they even get a fair goal chalked off last season at Camp Nou (Bale)? And the offside Barca goal this season? So even Real gets screwed against them.

In Europe it's a whole different ball game. Sure there was the Nani incident but outside of that I can't recall too much.

I can't stand Real too FWIW. Just calling it as I see it.

In this thread we see a very concentrated dose of salt. I hope barca win the final via 3x non penalties so I can come and watch everyone cry like babies here :lol::lol::lol:

Same. The conspiracy nuts make me chuckle. :lol:

Neymar follows the ball in the first instance. Meunier doesn't even look at the ball goes straight to stop Neymar with both hands (you could even see he is moving away from the ball and his eyes only follow Neymar). Neymar is not grappling Meunier, he is trying to get to the pass made by Iniesta. You have both elements for what constitutes a penalty. You have no intent of playing the ball from the defender, and you have contact with the other player who is normally trying to reach the through ball provided by a teammate. That is a clear penalty for me. No matter if it is Barca, Chelsea, Bayern, Zenit or whoever.

2nd one, I stopped the frame when Verratti let's go of Messi and is also inside the box. Certainly not outside. That is also a penalty, but I agree it's harder to spot in normal speed. However, the referee didn't even award a free kick, and the foul is out of the question. The freekick could have easily been another goal.

Bias aside, those two instances are what I would conisder legitimate penalty claims for several reasons, namely PSG players not even trying to play the ball, only going to stop the attacking player, contact exists, and the occurence is inside the box, even if it's close in Messi's case.

But it's Barca, they are cheats, so it serves them right that they were not given. I tell you right now that if Martial would've been instead of Neymar in the first picture, and Mata in the 2nd, most United fans in here would screem penalty for weeks.
If you put your bias aside, you'd be able to see that Meunier does nothing that Neymar doesn't. Neymar is the first to put his hand on Meunier's chest, and Meunier does the same back. His left hand doesn't even look to make contact with Neymar until after Neymar fells himself with the help of Meunier's leg. What you're seeing (Meunier pulling or shoving Neymar down? I don't know) simply isn't there. It's a standard shoulder to shoulder where Neymar loses out to a stronger opponent.

I agree that the second one is a foul, but I don't know whether or not the ref had a clear view of it. And you'd need a ref with superhuman vision in order to deduce whether or not it was a penalty.

Thanks for that cheap shot at the end, by the way. I guess trying to make an unbiased response to your (clearly biased) assertion that these were stonewall penalties means I'm a hater.

(also, I can guarantee you that most United fans would not be crying over one of our players falling over and another having his shirt tugged at the edge of the box, especially after a game where we won 6-1.)

Thanks for that cheap shot at the end, by the way. I guess trying to make an unbiased response to your (clearly biased) assertion that these were stonewall penalties means I'm a hater.

(also, I can guarantee you that most United fans would not be crying over one of our players falling over and another having his shirt tugged at the edge of the box, especially after a game where we won 6-1.)

Did it seem like I was crying? I was extremely happy with the outcome. Merely wanted to show several instances were Barcelona was also denies some legitimate calls, since a lot of people went to a great deal of trouble to portray this historical result as a robbery. Hardly the case. Maybe we indeed benefited more from the ref, but nowhere near in the degree some make it out to be.

Most people here use double standards when it's about Barcelona and refereeing issues. It doesn't mean you are a hater, never said that, just noticed a tendency and expressed it as such.

He's a Barca fanboy, that's why he is saying that.

Also "Graziano Cesari one of the best referees in italy" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: the man's a punchline

Of course, in comparison with you - who have refereed hundreds of football games of domestic and international level, and you are in the Italian Football Hall of Fame - this loser has no idea what he's talking about.

Back to being serious now, one of the best refs Italy had says the two supposed dives are actually clear penalties. 'Without a shadow of a doubt' even.

Last edited:
Barca are the biggest cnuts in football. I dislike Real Madrid as well but at least they thrive on being cnuts and happily accept it.

Barca peddle this 'More than a club' myth like they're the saints of the football world.

I had huge respect for them in the 80s and 90s but hate them these days.

Spot on. Totally agree.

Both were penalties imo. Sure Suarez made the most of it but if he doesn't go down he gets no penalty and is obstructed from shooting

Omfg seriously? Suarez's is 999999999999999999999999999999999% a dive and he should've been sent off

Of course, in comparison with you - who have refereed hundreds of football games of domestic and international level, and you are in the Italian Football Hall of Fame - this loser has no idea what he's talking about.
:lol::lol::lol: you're having a proper meltdown mate. Look up Graziano Cesari if you care. The man's a punchline in italy, nobody takes him seriously. And he was one of the worst referees we had back then(he retired some 15 years ago).

Back to being serious now, one of the best refs Italy had says the two supposed dives are actually clear penalties. 'Without a shadow of a doubt' even.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know what's the funnier part? The catalan barcelona fans on the caf are actually fairly good posters, objective. It's the non-catalan fans who bought into the cult and are completely bonkers :lol: