Is it just me or do Barcelona get game changing favors from refs every game?

I mean we're talking about the game yesterday mate. Not comparing when the last time we scored 6 goals to what Barca just did. I believe there's already a thread comparing us to Barcelona in some capacity, check it out I think that's the thread you wanted.
I was just highlighting scoring 5 legit goals isn't so easily done.

Btw, other two legitimate penalty claims that Barcelona had and were denied.

1. Foul by Meunier on Neymar. You could even see in the image that Meunier is not even for a second looking at the ball. Has both hands on Neymar, no intent of playing the ball, penalty for me and according to the rules.

2. Foul by Verratti on Messi. Clearly pulls his shirt. Actions starts outside of the 16m box, but continues inside as well. Acording to the FIFA rules on holding, if the holding continues inside the box, it is a penalty. This is a clear penalty and a yellow card for Verratti (could have received 3 yellow cards in the game) not given for me.

But, never mind these images, hate along. Uefalona and crap like that. Let it all out.

They're both ridiculously soft, just reminds me why i hate watching barcleona and spanish teams in general

What amazed me was after acting like he had been hit in the throat Suarez didn't a trainer on to adminster oxygen to him.

If you watch him for a few seconds after it he thought he was getting a second yellow for diving.

Good read. It's a sad indictment of a sport when its greatest ever team are also its biggest ever cheats.

100% agree mate, they play some really wonderful football at times, especially on Wednesday. But the tactics they resort to sometimes really are a stain and it's such a shame.

1. Foul by Meunier on Neymar. You could even see in the image that Meunier is not even for a second looking at the ball. Has both hands on Neymar, no intent of playing the ball, penalty for me and according to the rules.

neymar_penalty.gif

2. Foul by Verratti on Messi. Clearly pulls his shirt. Actions starts outside of the 16m box, but continues inside as well. Acording to the FIFA rules on holding, if the holding continues inside the box, it is a penalty. This is a clear penalty and a yellow card for Verratti (could have received 3 yellow cards in the game) not given for me.

gif_messi.gif

But, never mind these images, hate along. Uefalona and crap like that. Let it all out.
Ahhh, get it now. I honestly thought you were a Barca fan trying to make a point...... but you're just wumming?

Any more penalties they should have had or just the 4?

Ahhh, get it now. I honestly thought you were a Barca fan trying to make a point...... but you're just wumming?

I'm not a Barca fan and I have no problem saying that they often try to play the ref as much as their opponents, but I gotta say: both those incidents warrant penalties if you judge them by the book. In the first Meunier appears to grab Neymar's shirt, so he can't get to the through ball and in the second you can see how Messi's jersey stretches mid-turn.
It's not as obvious as a bad tackle, but both situations (try to) deliberately generate a clear advantage through unfair actions.
Stuff like that often being overlooked is probably also a reason why players get more and more theatrical when there is contact.

Last edited:

He's simply applying the same standards that are used in discussion about that tie with Chelsea, for example. Strange how anything potentially going in Barca's favour is instantly deemed irrelevant. I thought people on United forum would be smarter than that, being on the receiving end of the same kind of ludicrous accusations and irrational hate, in relatively recent times.

I'm not a Barca fan and I have no problem saying that they often try to play the ref as much as their opponents, but I gotta say: both those incidents warrant penalties if you judge them by the book. In the first Meunier appears to grab Neymar's shirt, so he can't get to the through ball and in the second you can see how Messi's jersey stretches mid-turn.
It's not as obvious as a bad tackle, but both situations (try to) deliberately generate a clear advantage through unfair actions.

The first is a penalty tbh, but when they have 5+ penalty claims most of which are them running into the nearest player and falling over you tend to get dismissive.
The playing the ref thing just makes them a chore to watch for me

Your video clips are not stonewalled penalties. If anything they highlight how easily Barsa players go down as soon as they cross the line into the penalty box. It's like their legs become rubber as soon as they feel any kind of contact on the box. Technically they may be penalties, but in reality they are dives.

neymar_penalty.gif

gif_messi.gif

Your video clips are not stonewalled penalties. If anything they highlight how easily Barsa players go down as soon as they cross the line into the penalty box. It's like their legs become rubber as soon as they feel any kind of contact on the box. Technically they may be penalties, but in reality they are dives.

neymar_penalty.gif

How could people claim that's even remotely a penalty? He's just sticking out his leg with nowhere near the ball, and then falling down. That's an example of cheating/coning.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/09/luis-suarez-dive-barcelona-cheating-psg

Good article from Ewan Murray in the Guardian regarding Barca the other night. Found myself agreeing with practically everything he has written, that most of the blatant cheating and conning of the referee on Wednesday doesn't fit the fairy tale narrative for the masses and is ignored, and the fawning over players from pundits is pathetic as they would be incandescent themselves if they were on the receiving end of those decisions.

Yeah good read that, rare you get a bit of sports journalism that doesn't follow the trend.

When he compares cheating in football to other sports it really brings home how normalised it's become. It's the biggest problem the sport has but it seems the authorities don't want to do anything about it.

Stuff like that often being overlooked is probably also a reason why players get more and more theatrical when there is contact.

Exactly. Meunier has no intention of following the ball. He is only looking to stop Neymar and is going straight at him. Neither Meunier or Verratti make any attempt to play the ball in both cases.

Barcelona could have received 3 penalties vs PSG, and everyone of them would have been according to the rules.

Technically they may be penalties, but in reality they are dives.

No, what you actually mean is that they are penalties (both are pretty clear), but because this is Barcelona, they become dives.

Now Mess is a diver too. :lol:

I understand the massive meltdown after Barca went through, but Messi never was a diver, and just because Neymar dives sometimes, doesn't mean a penalty is no longer a penalty because of Neymar's reputation. Each play has to be judged separately, and that one was a legit penalty.

Some of the arguments you guys are making are so wrong. Have nothing to do with reality. A penalty is a penalty, there is no such thing as dives that, technically, are penalties.

Last edited:

neymar_penalty.gif

gif_messi.gif

Your trying too hard to create something that's not there. Those decisions would only go to Barcelona, but under normal Football rules even Liverpool wouldn't get them or claim them. If those are pens then Mascherano's handball is clear as day and his foul on Di Maria is two pens.

Barca got blatant and obvious favoritism again. Get over it.

When 95-100% of neutrals agree with the 100% Barca haters that this was a con job you kind of have to accept that they probably did get unfair help. I think it's only Barca fans and the usual fanboys who think they are the best thing since sliced bread that are either a) trying to say they got robbed or b) glossing over it or c) both.

When 95-100% of neutrals agree with the 100% Barca haters that this was a con job you kind of have to accept that they probably did get unfair help. I think it's only Barca fans and the usual fanboys who think they are the best thing since sliced bread that are either a) trying to say they got robbed or b) glossing over it or c) both.

So, you're telling me someone pulling Messi's shirt in the box is not a penalty? Are you for real? You can see his shirt being pulled FFS. The rules are very clear.

Both those pictures that have been posted are penalties denied for Barcelona. Neymar's penalty has been recognized as such even in the live ESPN transmission I watched. But because of Neymar being recognized as a diver, that clear penalty has gone unnoticed by many.

Di Maria's is a penalty. Mascherano's is not a penalty because of 1) lack of intent, 2) short ball - hand distance, 3) ball to hand, not hand to ball movement, 4) natural position of the hand doing a sliding tackle. Most if not all conditions for a hand ball are not satisfied in that play.

So, you're telling me someone pulling Messi's shirt in the box is not a penalty? Are you for real? You can see his shirt being pulled FFS. You have the images in front of you, you see his shirt being pulled. The rules are very clear.

Both those pictures that have been posted are penalties denied for Barcelona. Neymar's penalty has been recognized as such even in the live ESPN transmission I watched.

Di Maria's is a penalty. Mascherano's is not a penalty because of 1) lack of intent, 2) short ball - hand distance, 3) ball to hand, not hand to ball movement, 4) natural position of the hand doing a sliding tackle.
It's a tiny tug outside the area. I have to question why does he not fall immediately if the tug was so forceful? His fall even starts outside the area. Only you and Stevie Wonder would possibly think it's a pen.

I don't watch Barca every week (because frankly the obvious favoritism is boring to me and I used to like them) but I guess a Barca fan has come to expect anything in the area to be a penalty. I bet if you fart in the area it's probably some kind of penalty.

@serghei you do realize that football is supposed to be a contact sport, right? It's not necessary to fall down in the penalty box any time there's a little bit of contact. I'm not in the mood to browse videos, but I bet I could find many where Barca players are pulling and fouling players in the box. It happens with almost every team when it comes to defending corners as well.

It's a tiny tug outside the area. I have to question why does he not fall immediately if the tug was so forceful?

This is too much. Now you're telling me Messi is a diver as well? The only reason why he fell there (in the box btw, check the rules on holding) is becaue he was pulled by Verratti.

When 95-100% of neutrals agree with the 100% Barca haters that this was deliberate cheating you kind of have to accept that they probably did get unfair help. I think it's only Barca fans and the usual fanboys who think they are the best thing since sliced bread that are either a) trying to say they got robbed or b) glossing over it or c) both.

Fixed.

@serghei you do realize that football is supposed to be a contact sport, right? It's not necessary to fall down in the penalty box any time there's a little bit of contact. I'm not in the mood to browse videos, but I bet I could find many where Barca players are pulling and fouling players in the box. It happens with almost every team when it comes to defending corners as well.

I happen to remember even last season a penalty given for Bayern at a corner in the semifinal. What is your point? Football allows contact between attacker and defender under certain rules only. The rules specify that shirt pulling is a foul. One of the classic fouls in football actually. Also, going straight into the attacking player and not even trying to follow the ball is also a foul according to the rules.

When you go by the rules, those situations are penalties. Both of them. When you go by whatever you feel like, you can call them dives or whatever you need.

No, what you actually mean is that they are penalties (both are pretty clear), but because this is Barcelona, they become dives.

Now Mess is a diver too. :lol:

I understand the massive meltdown after Barca went through, but Messi never was a diver, and just because Neymar dives sometimes, doesn't mean a penalty is no longer a penalty because of Neymar's reputation. Each play has to be judged separately, and that one was a legit penalty.

Some of the arguments you guys are making are so wrong. Have nothing to do with reality. A penalty is a penalty, there is no such thing as dives that, technically, are penalties.

They are dives. All you have to do is look at their legs to see how they just collapse upon minimum contact as soon as they have entered the penalty zone.

Maybe Messi is not known for diving, but neither is Barcelona known for trailing by 4 goals after a first leg champions league elimination round.

Maybe Messi is not known for diving, but neither is Barcelona known for trailing by 4 goals after a first leg champions league elimination round.

You're seriously telling me that you have watched the gif, and you arrived at the conclusion that Messi dived there? OK, I give up. I can't comprehend that, so I retreat from this discussion.

You're seriously telling me that you have watched the gif, and you arrived at the conclusion that Messi dived there? OK, I give up. I can't comprehend that, so I retreat from this discussion.

Yes, as a complete neutral, I would say Messi dived. He is looking straight down at the ball and at the line into the box, and as soon as he sees he is over the line, his whole body just gives up any kind of effort to try to remain standing. It's a dive with minimal contact.

I happen to remember even last season a penalty given for Bayern at a corner in the semifinal. What is your point? Football allows contact between attacker and defender under certain rules only. The rules specify that shirt pulling is a foul. One of the classic fouls in football actually. Also, going straight into the attacking player and not even trying to follow the ball is also a foul according to the rules.

When you go by the rules, those situations are penalties. Both of them. When you go by whatever you feel like, you can call them dives or whatever you need.

My point is that Barcelona are a team full of divers, aka cheaters. Couldn't help but deceive the ref at every opportunity to come back in the match. You can mess about with technicalities all you like to make you feel better, but a dive is a dive to people who view it realistically. There have been cases where contact was made, and would be a penalty in your world view, but the ref has given a yellow to the player for diving.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not some irrational hater of Barcelona. Their 2006 team were one of my favorite teams. And I love a good comeback, but not when it's on the back of top players doing all they can to deceive the ref. Neymar and Suarez are notorious for that, just to name a couple.

Happy to see some neutrals who know the footballers :angel:

Yeah good read that, rare you get a bit of sports journalism that doesn't follow the trend.

When he compares cheating in football to other sports it really brings home how normalised it's become. It's the biggest problem the sport has but it seems the authorities don't want to do anything about it.

Agree mate, seems to be few and far between these days which is a real shame. Ewan Murray's pieces are always an interesting read on either football or golf.

That's so true too and he hits the nail on the head. I've seen so many journalists and pundits either brushing over it completely or trying to normalise it as you say. Any other sport combats cheating quite forcefully but football constantly fails in that manner. I don't see it change any time in the near future unfortunately.

So when you go by the rules, Neymar should get a penalty for sticking his leg out in front of a running opponent? Because that's what brings him down. Meunier literally does nothing other than run (while they grapple at each other, mind), Neymar throws his right leg out, Meunier runs into it (and could literally do nothing in order to avoid doing so) and Neymar goes down. How in the world is that ever a penalty?

As for Messi: I can't, with any kind of certainty, tell whether the tug continued into the area or not, so claiming that to be a clear penalty reeks of desperation.