Is it just me or do Barcelona get game changing favors from refs every game?

I understand people support Barcelona but guys have some decency.

Ref's pushed Barcelona through, 2 flimsy penalties awarded to them, 3 of the same if not more persuasive ones weren't given to PSG.

The worst of is that it's not the first time.
Basically this. Two different standards of refereeing in one game: one for Barcelona and the other one for PSG

When I was watching last night the injury time came up as 3 mins but as soon as the third min came up it switched to 5mins.

I'll look more kindly on the bitterness and referee whinging if people were prepared to acknowledge that PSG were culpable for the result too. Refs make mistakes but players also make mistakes that contribute to the outcome of a match, or in this case a two legged tie. What about Cavani failing to score when one on one with Ter Stegen? If he scores that, PSG is 6-3 ahead on aggregate and in the next round. I'm sure it annoys United fans when the accusation is that much of their success was down to referees. This is a thread this site mocks bluemoon and RAWK for.

I'll look more kindly on the bitterness and referee whinging if people were prepared to acknowledge that PSG were culpable for the result too. Refs make mistakes but players also make mistakes that contribute to the outcome of a match, or in this case a two legged tie. What about Cavani failing to score when one on one with Ter Stegen? If he scores that, PSG is 6-3 ahead on aggregate and in the next round. I'm sure it annoys United fans when the accusation is that much of their success was down to referees. This is a thread this site mocks bluemoon and RAWK for.

Dude reality check.

1:0 for Barca, ok but if penalty was given to PSG for handball they'd have a legitimate chance to equalize and game automatically changes.

On 4:1 or barca, if ref gave a penalty to PSG for Mascherano's tackle, they'd have a good chance at making it 4:2.

5 minutes of added time where it should have been 3 at best.

You can't say PSG is to blame, when ref denied them their opportunities.

Last edited:
The system is setup for controversy, and Barcelona are very well schooled in the so-called 'dark arts.' The only real surprise is that the media doesn't make a big deal of it, instead choosing to focus almost exclusively on Barcelona's admittedly impressive style of football.
I don't think it's a surprise to Nike, a lot of their promotions budget is spend on events for journalists. And it can't be all down to the dark arts of the players, there are more clubs who are good at that. It doesn't make referees whistle for a foul before the corner is taken, that has only happened in Nou Camp. Referees don't get fooled into sending a player off for shooting right after the whistle, that only happens in Nou Camp.

Yeah, I don´t buy this argument as the only really remarkable thing about the Camp Nou is the sheer size of the thing. When I switched channels over to the Barca game in the last ten minutes the question until the last Goal I kept asking myself was: "Why is the stadium so damn quiet?" There was a hell lot more noise in the 65k Westfalenstadium when there was no tension at all in the game anymore. If I think back to the Malaga game in 2013 where we were in a similar situation as Barca last night (needing multiple goals in injury time) the difference in atmosphere is freaking massive.

It is also not just the Westfalenstadium, other big stadiums also create far more heat than the Nou Camp on special occasions, be it the Allianz-Arena, Old Trafford or the Bernabeu (now that is a Spanish Stadium that can turn up if needed).

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-referees-decision-idUSN0327558320070403

A new Harvard study that looked at the results of over 5,000 English Premier League soccer matches found that crowd size and home field advantage influenced referee decisions.

My idea was just based on reading that article years ago, this in particular immediately came to mind when I typed that post you quoted:

The research also found that away teams were given more penalties, and that for every additional 10,000 fans in the audience, the home team was able to score 0.1 more goals.

But what you're saying makes sense too.

Dude reality check.

1:0 for Barca, ok but if penalty was given for PSG handball they'd have a legitimate chance to equalize and game automatically changes.

On 4:1 or barca, if ref was awarded a penalty to PSG for Mascherano's tackle, they'd have a good chance at making it 4:2.

I'll acknowledge we had calls go our way but if Cavani takes his chance at 3-1 to make it 3-2 on the night and 6-2 on aggregate the tie is finished, or is that the refs fault to that Cavani missed a one on one? Sure if Mascherano is penalised for handball, PSG get a chance to equalise. Right so they don't get a penalty you think they should have got, how about digging in and get to half time 1-0 down, still in control. 1-0 t half time, PSG is still favourite to go through and Barcelona doesn't have the belief they have at 2-0. Suppose it's the refs fault the second goal went in too? Fact is you can't control refereeing decisions that go for you or against you so how about controlling what you can control and that is your own performance. PSG defended so badly that they conceded enough goals for a Barcelona comeback to be a possibility. What about taking chances on attack? I'll repeat part of my first sentence: if Cavani takes his chance at 3-1 to make it 3-2 on the night and 6-2 on aggregate the tie is finished. Refs get things wrong, players also make mistakes that contribute how games pan out. If people are going to bitch about refereeing at least acknowledge the poor defending and missed goal scoring opportunities that decide games, something refs can't be blamed for.

It is not just United supporters, though. This site has a pretty broad representation of different club supporters. If you normally would ask me which club I would back between the two, I would go with Barca, not because I like them so much (although I´m a big admirer of Cruyff), but because I despise plastique clubs and PSG is as plastique as it gets.

That being said, no amount of dislike could make me see that this game was in any shape or form being fairly refereed by Ayketin. Now that I have seen the whole game, they have been at least five highly debateble situations (well, just four actually as the last pen was just plain wrong IMO) and every call went in favour of Barcelona.

When the favouring is that obvious, people will point that out. As I don´t assume the worst of people, I would just say that Ayketin could not handle the pressure. If I would be cynical, I would check who placed large bets on this historic comeback.

The way Barcelona play, with massive raids into the box and lightning quick deep passing, invites a much larger amount of penalties given than a team that only occassionally probes the box.

I'll acknowledge we had calls go our way but if Cavani takes his chance at 3-1 to make it 3-2 on the night and 6-2 on aggregate the tie is finished, or is that the refs fault to that Cavani missed a one on one? Sure if Mascherano is penalised for handball, PSG get a chance to equalise. Right so they don't get a penalty you think they should have got, how about digging in and get to half time 1-0 down, still in control. 1-0 t half time, PSG is still favourite to go through and Barcelona doesn't have the belief they have at 2-0. Suppose it's the refs fault the second goal went in too? Fact is you can't control refereeing decisions that go for you or against you so how about controlling what you can control and that is your own performance. PSG defended so badly that they conceded enough goals for a Barcelona comeback to be a possibility. What about taking chances on attack? I'll repeat part of my first sentence: if Cavani takes his chance at 3-1 to make it 3-2 on the night and 6-2 on aggregate the tie is finished. Refs get things wrong, players also make mistakes that contribute how games pan out. If people are going to bitch about refereeing at least acknowledge the poor defending and missed goal scoring opportunities that decide games, something refs can't be blamed for.

Dude if ref gave them a penalty they deserved on 1:0 for Barca who cares about chance that Cavani missed?

If ref gave them a penalty on 4:1 would be the same.

You can't give 2 penalties to Barcelona but choose not to make the same calls for PSG, unless you're crooked ref and helping out barca.

You can throw that "if Cavani scored, bad calls for PSG wouldn't have mattered".

If ref did his job properly regarding PSG calls than Cavani miss wouldn't have mattered.

You need to understand that Mascherano handball and Neymar's penalty came before Cavani's miss.

Ref pushed uefacelona through and there's no painting it other way.

Dayum this just about proves redcafe is chockful of the same ilk that posts on rawk and bluemoon when faced with success of a team bigger and better than ours. Unsurprising of course seeing as fans love to climb on their toy horses and believe they are better than the others whilst reality is the hypocrisy is the same in every football supporter/human.

D-dey always get deir desisions!!!! Alwayyysss! We arent ABB's look at that conspirasy goin ON, this neets invistigitinhhh!!!!

But no we of course are not the same as the bitter small club fans we laugh at, we of course truly TRULY have a point. That's exactly what Rawk and bluemoon weirdos keep telling themselves too, it's the fuel that keeps them going and truly believing in their irrational rants.

Last edited:
It is not just United supporters, though. This site has a pretty broad representation of different club supporters. If you normally would ask me which club I would back between the two, I would go with Barca, not because I like them so much (although I´m a big admirer of Cruyff), but because I despise plastique clubs and PSG is as plastique as it gets.

That being said, no amount of dislike could make me see that this game was in any shape or form being fairly refereed by Ayketin. Now that I have seen the whole game, they have been at least five highly debateble situations (well, just four actually as the last pen was just plain wrong IMO) and every call went in favour of Barcelona.

When the favouring is that obvious, people will point that out. As I don´t assume the worst of people, I would just say that Ayketin could not handle the pressure. If I would be cynical, I would check who placed large bets on this historic comeback.

That's why they always send some C rank referee's when barca needs a push.

Dude if ref gave them a penalty they deserved on 1:0 for Barca who cares about chance that Cavani missed?

If ref gave them a penalty on 4:1 would be the same.

You can't give 2 penalties to Barcelona but choose not to make the same calls for PSG, unless you're crooked ref and helping out barca.

You can throw that "if Cavani scored, bad calls for PSG wouldn't have mattered".

If ref did his job properly regarding PSG calls than Cavani miss wouldn't have mattered.

You need to understand that Mascherano handball and Neymar's penalty came before Cavani's miss.

Ref pushed uefacelona through and there's no painting it other way.

They could still bottle it. Di Maria missed even an easier chance than a peno 7 yards away from goal.

You are right that Barca got favorable decisions but that cowardly approach and the inability to convert their chances was equally bad.

PSG let 6 goals from 9 shots on target from Barca last night. Some of the defending for the goals was really awful. I can understand defending a 4 goal lead, but if you take that approach at least do it adequately.

I think Barcelona Players when going down in a ucl game plays to get penalties in the match, Its their deliberate tactics when they need goals and fails to break the opponents defense. They deliberately lob the ball over the opponents defense and beat the offside trap and fight for the ball and are always looking for slightest contact from the defenders to go down very very easily and claim a penalty and the Uefa ref's sticking to their bookish interpretation of rules awards a penalty every time as the barcelona players put pressure on them and which barcelona players make use of effectively.

Similar was the case when pep guardiola was claiming a foul on the goalkeeper in the epl game when there was slightest of contacts which was not given becuase he was trying to manaufactre a so called foul and after that he famously lost his mind and gave a bizzare interveiw.

If it was an Epl game Both incidents of yesterday's game were never going to be a penalty. Neymar ran into the defender and the second was even more ridiculous penalty awarded. Second penalty was literally a dive with so little contact. Suarez delibrately fell down with minimal contact delibrately looking for a penalty as its always their ploys to play with the penalty rules to their advantage, and would never be a penalty in normal circumstances in any league of the world.

A penalty should never be called on a bookish interpretation of rules but the intent of the defender

Last edited:
They could still bottle it. Di Maria missed even an easier chance than a peno 7 yards away from goal.

You are right that Barca got favorable decisions but that cowardly approach and the inability to convert their chances was equally bad.

PSG let 6 goals from 9 shots on target from Barca last night. Some of the defending for the goals was really awful. I can understand defending a 4 goal lead, but if you take that approach at least do it adequately.

No drama with any of that. We got some calls go our way that on another day wouldn't have but PSG contributed to their own downfall something which should also be acknowledged.

They're not more favoured than anybody. They're just good at making any advantage count, no matter how small. Look at us at the weekend?

First one looks a clear penalty.
Second looks like good'ol Suarez diving.

3xwa3yv.jpg

The way I saw the Di Maria/Mascherano gif, Di Maria already had a shot before Masch touched him. And he blew that shot.
Besides, look at 0:04. Just pass the fecking ball to Cavani you cnut.

I don't think either peno they got last night was even close to being a peno but the Neymar one looked like a defo peno initially so not easy for the ref. But it's clear Neymar was smart and dived into the defender to make it look like defender dived into him even though defender was sort of holding him back.

But Nou Camp is a very intimidating place for a ref. Every time the ball will arrive into the box then the crowd will scream for a peno. And usually by the 6th or maybe 7th time this happens then the ref gives into crowd pressure and gives a peno even if it's 40/60 against looking like a stonewall peno

Reactions: Akshay
True but how many refs would award a penalty to Suarez for that.
In PL it would not be a penalty in 10 out of 10 cases.

At the risk of going full Wenger, I haven't seen the Suarez incident.

Dude reality check.

1:0 for Barca, ok but if penalty was given to PSG for handball they'd have a legitimate chance to equalize and game automatically changes.

On 4:1 or barca, if ref gave a penalty to PSG for Mascherano's tackle, they'd have a good chance at making it 4:2.

Yeah, of course, the refereeing is one of the factors that explain the outcome.

Not the only one of course, but a decisive one. I would like to add:

- First 15 minutes: 2 yellow cards for PSG players (Draxler and Matuidi)
- Pique didn't receive a 2nd yellow card despite the obvious fault on Cavani.

Congrats to Barcelona and the referee :)

I don't think either penalty was clearly a wrong decision. PSG's players just acted incredibly stupid and Barca's players were very cynical, so they look kinda bad.
For me it all depends on the context. If those strict interpretations were consistent with Aytekins general line of officiating then I don't think you can objectively blame him, if not then he deserves a lot of criticism. Haven't seen the whole match though, so I can't comment on that.
Either way PSG should take a look at themselves first though, they were 4-5 goals up ffs!

The only real surprise is that the media doesn't make a big deal of it, instead choosing to focus almost exclusively on Barcelona's admittedly impressive style of football.

At least the biggest sport broadcasting media in Sweden broke the discourse for the first time ever, when they took turns in critisising the systematic diving, everytime Barcelona gets desperate, and how sad it is that these 'tactics' keep getting encouraged and eventually rewarded. I couldn't believe it, never thought the swedes had it in them - to dare critisising barca of systematic diving. Bah! Preposterous!:wenger::lol:

what you are missing is your glasses. stonewall penalty.

My glasses are on and my prescription is recent. Maybe it's you who needs them, the pictures show no contact, or even if there is slight it's after DiMaria fluffs the chance.

Yeah, of course, the refereeing is one of the factors that explain the outcome.

Not the only one of course, but a decisive one. I would like to add:

- First 15 minutes: 2 yellow cards for PSG players (Draxler and Matuidi)
- Pique didn't receive a 2nd yellow card despite the obvious fault on Cavani.

Congrats to Barcelona and the referee :)

Ref's pushed Barcelona through, simple as that.

And it's not the first time.

No drama with any of that. We got some calls go our way that on another day wouldn't have but PSG contributed to their own downfall something which should also be acknowledged.
No, that has nothing to do with the favours to Barca from the referee. The problem is that on another day when Barca is in trouble, something simular will happen again, just as it has happened in the past.

Ref's pushed Barcelona through, simple as that.

And it's not the first time.
Barça needed an astonishingly poor opposition goalkeeping display and the willpower and determination to score 3 more goals in the final minutes of the game. The ref can't control that. They went through with virtually the last kick of the game. If the ref wanted to put them through, he would've found a much easier way to do it, such as giving Suarez a penalty for his first dive where he produced a yellow instead. It's a ridiculous thought process.

That said he did still make mistakes. The second penalty was a terrible call but the blame is with Suarez, not necessarily the ref. The ref needs help in these situations. Video reffing can't come soon enough. The Di Maria - Mascherano incident is interesting but again, very hard to see. I've seen the replay several times and I still can't say. A video ref with access to much better images would've helped here too.

It's Suarez who is the main villain in my opinion, not the ref.

1. Mascherano handball in the penalty area in the first half.
2. Pique could have been sent off in the first half.
3. Questionable first penalty.
4. Mascherano fouling ADM when he was one on one in the 85th minute - would have been a red card and a pen.
5. The second penalty a blatant dive and Suarez should have been given a second yellow.
6. 5 mins of added time.

Yeah, it was all Barcelona and none of the referee.

I think the first penalty was fair enough, Mascherano's foul was after the ball was played, and 5 mins of added time was fine considering the amount of time PSG tried to waste.

But that second penalty was a very poor decision and a bit dodgy IMO.

Big teams usually get more decisions for many reasons. Barcelona had more of the ball which meant that they would have drawn more fouls. PSG played anti-football and camped themselves in the box and that always leads to errors and Barcelona players getting into their box meant there was a higher chance of a penalty being called.

PSG paid the price for playing football of that nature. I felt physically sick watching them.

Also: Neymar kicked the shit out of someone's ankles (in the PSG box) out of frustration, long after the ball was gone. That's a red card at least 80% of the time in most matches, but the fifth/sixth official didn't even care. Edit:/ I think he actually got a yellow? It was the foul on Marquinhos.
Zico called it as a red card. It does look a lot worse in the replay from behind.

But despite all the favours the REF did for Barca. There is no reason PSG should be losing that tie after the 4-0. There were times during last night's game where PSG were looking like a pub team who couldn't put 3 passes together.
I think they only completed 4 passes in the 7 minutes after Neymar's free-kick - 3 of them from the kick-off. Which is scandalous bottling at any level.

How badly Psg played is irrelevant, without only 1 Barca penalty, Psg are through. And that's disregarding all the other wrong calls that favored your team.

At least the biggest sport broadcasting media in Sweden broke the discourse for the first time ever, when they took turns in critisising the systematic diving, everytime Barcelona gets desperate, and how sad it is that these 'tactics' keep getting encouraged and eventually rewarded. I couldn't believe it, never thought the swedes had it in them - to dare critisising barca of systematic diving. Bah! Preposterous!:wenger::lol:
That must have been refreshing to see! Here in the UK the pundits took the easy way out with "there was minimal contact but he had every right to go down." Heck, the supposedly impartial presenters in the BT Sport studio were jumping for joy when Barcelona got the decisive goal.

Barça needed an astonishingly poor opposition goalkeeping display and the willpower and determination to score 3 more goals in the final minutes of the game. The ref can't control that. They went through with virtually the last kick of the game. If the ref wanted to put them through, he would've found a much easier way to do it, such as giving Suarez a penalty for his first dive where he produced a yellow instead. It's a ridiculous thought process.

That said he did still make mistakes. The second penalty was a terrible call but the blame is with Suarez, not necessarily the ref. The ref needs help in these situations. Video reffing can't come soon enough. The Di Maria - Mascherano incident is interesting but again, very hard to see. I've seen the replay several times and I still can't say. A video ref with access to much better images would've helped here too.

It's Suarez who is the main villain in my opinion, not the ref.
What you say does make sense, I don't think the refs plan in advance to help Barca, conspiracy theories involving Uefa helping Barca are ridiculous, just as ridiculous as believing a PL ref is a fan of a certain team like some believe a certain ref with Tottenham.

Having said that I think it is something that's influencing the refs decisions in favor of Barca though. I don't think it's a coincidence this has happened so many times in favor of Barca for it to be just bad refereeing.

I think Barca won't be having such an easy time going far in the CL anymore when video analasys post situation becomes available.

I stuck a tenner on barca before the game to qualify at 9/1 because a few of us at work were saying there's no way the ref won't do everything in his power to help them qualify. I'm not saying he did, but it's definitely a view shared by a lot of people. Saying that, had PSG not completely bottled it they would have sailed through.

There's much more to life than wanking off over a rotten club like barcelona

A club with no respect for anything but themselves, a club who routinely break transfer laws without a care in the world, a club who actively help their players commit huge tax fraud and then try and run campaigns garnering sympathy for said tax frauds....all this whilst encouraging play acting at every chance.

I hate them more than the gang of utter melts across the park

Wow.

Alternatively you could just watch a game of football without giving two shits about any of that. Care all you want about the off field stuff, but on the pitch it's 11v11, always been the same.