• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree but I think that issue is bigger than the specifics of how we vote for parties every 5 or so years. The issue of representation is bigger than that, I think.
You're absolutely right, the problem goes far deeper but being able to choose outside of a giant douche and a turd sandwich would be a good start.

Limiting the influence of extremists like Farage is the exact strength of FPTP. I say we leave it well alone. if you are going to feck with the constitution at least do it holistically and carefully and not piecemeal, or we end up with more stuff like 51% non binding referenda forcing stupid results on ignorant people.
On the other hand, it is deeply anti-democratic and almost ensures that only two party matter.

The Liberal Democrats have tangible policies with a greater focus on the climate and nature crises, a desire to re-join the EU in some fashion, and support electoral reform.

There are huge differences.

I don't think those are policies that can't be jointly worked on.

A nauseating article on Farage on BBC News website yet nothing on Greens or Lib Dem’s. Fecking pathetic.
Yep. Joint 7th biggest party - and I'm sure that the media will give them the level of publicity that they warrant...

PSX-20240705-152830.jpg

Reform are the Trump-like faction. They secured something like 14% of the vote but only got 4 seats thankfully. The Tories are traditionally akin to what the GOP are in the US, whereas Labour are supposed to be ideological bedfellows of the Dems. Though its far more nuanced than that because of overton shifts. Starmer (the Labour leader and new Prime Minister) is more of a Biden than he is a Sanders, whereas Sunak (The Tory leader and outgoing Prime Minister) is akin to someone like DeSantis. They're clumsy parallels which no doubt many will disagree with here but I'm trying to paint a very simplified picture for context.
I'd say what the GOP used to be would be more accurate, pre-MAGA, the 'clumsy parallels' are pretty accurate actually

We already had a referendum on First Past The Post in 2011, and it wasn't even a close result. 63% chose to maintain the status quo. I'm sorry but you don't tell the Scots that they can't have another go, when the Independence side lost by a lesser margin, and then say it's cool to have another referendum on how we all vote purely because Nigel thinks it'll help him.

We already had a referendum on First Past The Post in 2011, and it wasn't even a close result. 63% chose to maintain the status quo. I'm sorry but you don't tell the Scots that they can't have another go, when the Independence side lost by a lesser margin, and then say it's cool to have another referendum on how we all vote purely because Nigel thinks it'll help him.
I say run them both back.

From what I remember (and I could be wrong here) but many didn't seem to really understand this vote

Unfortunately those Reform scumbags are the reason Labour lost in my constituency. They had nearly 10k votes, and worse still I know a whole bunch of those (my fiancées thick as feck family). We are left with one of the most odious and scum tories of the lot, who ironically they all hate.

Thick cnuts.

They're a double edged sword. Ideally no one would be stupid enough to vote for them, but them splitting the idiot vote does stop either of the big two parties pandering to the xenophobic racists. More specifically it stopped the tories from doing so out of desperation. Unfortunately you also get side effects like this or Farage being an MP.

This is all still just part of the fallout from the country being dumb enough to make Boris PM, and Boris subsequently filling his government with the thickest people in politics because they were the only ones without the sense to try and immediately turf him out.

Great example of a terribly uninformed and lazy post

I feel the longer Farage is exposed to the British public the more criticism and ire he will start to attract. He just doesn't have that broad appeal to offset the scandals that surround him and will start to emerge over the next few years. Over time, even the most enamoured Reform voter will turn on him.

From what I remember (and I could be wrong here) but many didn't seem to really understand this vote
I remember knowing what the systems both entailed and still being confused with how the media were describing them. It was almost as if they really didn't want it to be explained properly incase they changed people's opinions, or even showed them how important such a vote was.

Great example of a terribly uninformed and lazy post
And this is a great example of a snidey response that doesn't even attempt to engage with the original poster, written by someone who has built up a reputation as a terrible poster on this forum throughout the years

I remember knowing what the systems both entailed and still being confused with how the media were describing them. It was almost as if they really didn't want it to be explained properly incase they changed people's opinions, or even showed them how important such a vote was.

Given this I'm not sure I understand why you would be against such a referendum

And this is a great example of a snidey response that doesn't even attempt to engage with the original poster, written by someone who has built up a reputation as a terrible poster on this forum throughout the years
Happy to engage more once you've attained a modicum of understanding on the subject

On the other hand, it is deeply anti-democratic and almost ensures that only two party matter.
You say that because it is one of the only ways we have to influence politics every now and again. But that doesn't have to be the case. FPTP has a useful stabilising function. I wonder if there is a way to retain that, while increasing democracy in other ways/areas.

The Tories won’t be in his sights anymore ….Farage will aim solely at Labour
That's what he says, but I imagine he'll go for those disaffected voters that didn't bother turning out.

I feel the longer Farage is exposed to the British public the more criticism and ire he will start to attract. He just doesn't have that broad appeal to offset the scandals that surround him and will start to emerge over the next few years. Over time, even the most enamoured Reform voter will turn on him.

Hopefully, just like Johnson.

That's what he says, but I imagine he'll go for those disaffected voters that didn't bother turning out.

Would be too difficult, he would have to actually come up with some seriously good policies and give a shit about someone other than himself

It's not really a happy thread this is it given we've just smashed the Tories? Says a lot about the current landscape I feel but let's look for the positives and hope that more representation from the Lib Dems, Greens, and even Reform can be a good thing for solving the problems successive governments have created over recent decades.

So. UKIP took a big chunk out of the tories, so the Tories basically absorbed UKIP, expelled all their moderates, became a Brexity English nationalist party, and then just lost a big chunk to Reform, so the Tories are going to... absorb Reform, expel all their moderates? Become EVEN MORE of a Brexity English Nationalist party and then... what... win in 2029?

Oh, they are so screwed.
That's a very optimistic view.

The alternative is that those two parties just brought in almost 11 million votes between them. Over a million more than Labour. It's on a knife edge between them being screwed and us being screwed.

Probably and unfortunately correct. I suppose the only positive of that might be that we can expect it to throw the the Conservatives (the little of them that remains) into another existential crisis, the result of which will probably see them shifting way over to the right and electing a nutter like Braverman (or even Farage) as leader, ceding all the centre ground to Labour and likely guaranteeing them another defeat in 2029.

Edit, sorry, I see you've just made this exact same point above re UKIP (who got about the same number of votes in 2015 (3.88m) as Reform did yesterday).

Just looking at Twitter, someone made the point that if you add the 166 seats where the reform vote > tory vote, to the tory total of 121 seats, you still don't get a majority. The Tories have to find a way to heal the split on their right, in such a way that doesn't put off the labour moderates they will need to win. Good luck with that!

edit: and of course, not every reform vote would go to the Tories anyway, so even the above is a theoretical maximum.

That's a very optimistic view.

The alternative is that those two parties just brought in almost 11 million votes between them. Over a million more than Labour. It's on a knife edge between them being screwed and us being screwed.
It's not optimistic. It's in the FPTP maths - see my other post above. Reform + Tory is a limit, not a launchpad. (and you can't just add up all the votes like that, Reform aren't all Tory switchers).

Farage is a cnut. It's scary the votes reform has got.

That said during this campaign Farage and his ilk got out there and did campaigning etc.

All I saw of Ed Davey was him bungy jumping and having a bit of a party.

Was speaking to someone about that's akin to Nick the brick and the monster raving looney party levels of campaigning.

I'm gutted the recognition Farage gets from media and the populace but Ed Davey can't be a serious politician?

Regarding the voting system, last night showed that it is untenable. 34% of the vote translated into nearly two thirds of the seats. A broken system is still broken, even iif it produces the happy accident of keeping Reform at 4 seats and putting the Lib Dems on 70 with a similar vote share. The price of inaction will be increasing apathy and lower turnouts (resulting in more volatility and greater risks of cranks gaining influence). Ultimately it belongs to an age of two mass membership parties that now feels as anachronistic as rotten boroughs and Whigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.