• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even one week for a transition?! That’s not a good system, sorry. The transition in the U.S. is too long (like 10 weeks). Don’t take 10 weeks— but few days at least.

Any way, glad that the Conservatives have lost.

It's actually a great system (in terms of time/handover, if not in terms of all the royals and prats in poncy costumes being involved). If you want to stitch everything up before you go you have to do it before Parliament is dissolved more or less.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you become prime minister this quickly… with no transition period whatsoever? Sure, there are shadows secretaries and so on, but doesn’t the new PM need at least few days to get briefing and conversations with the outgoing PM?

Labour already were granted access to certain documents months ago as part of arrangements I believe. There is always some sort of handover but it’s mainly done by Civil servants who will remain in post and brief new secretaries.

Well aren't they still paying them off or suffering from the debt? A lot of young support of Gaza was just right-on, fashionable campus politics that won't be a factor in the next election.
I think that's just a lazy trope. People with morals and principles don't completely abandon them between the ages of 21 and 26.

I think a lot of people also just want to go back to a simpler time, like 20 years ago where you could be Danny Dyer and star in Football Factory and Mean Machine. Truly anything was possible.

it was an age of acceptance. you want to walk around, pretending you’re a geezer? sure. away you go. and here’s a load of money for you whilst you do it.

I think that's just a lazy trope. People with morals and principles don't completely abandon them between the ages of 21 and 26.
But they do often get presented with a wider set of considerations as they get older.

It was. The Tories have spent the last 14 years gerrymandering, and yet Labour won by 170 seats with what is a low % for a Labour government so it's by definition efficient.

Obviously the Tories splitting their vote with Reform was pivotal, but tactical voting and targeting the right seats and voters has assisted in an incredible result

I haven't checked but I would assume that the UK has many more marginal constituencies (winning margin of less than 5%) after last night than was previously the case (50-75 is the norm), which, if correct, would support the assertion that the Labour victory is on more of a knife edge than is indicated by their enormous majority. Labour's victory is still very impressive (especially coming just five years after their worst performance in a GE since 1935) and they clearly ran a very smart, disciplined campaign, but I think we can expect a lot of volatility in politics in the years ahead. Certainly, this doesn't feel like a 10-year mandate in the way that Blair's victory in '97 did.

Well aren't they still paying them off or suffering from the debt? A lot of young support of Gaza was just right-on, fashionable campus politics that won't be a factor in the next election.
What in the boomer are you on about?

Er, because Labour won? And they won, despite a decline in votes, because they had the right strategy? Which was not the case in 2019?

Winning is the whole point. Not "enthusiasm". Power vs Activism.
Well that's one interpretation of it. But no more valid an interpretation than the alternative: that Labour won this election on the back of the collapse in support for the Tories with the Reform Party splitting their vote and despite Labour attracting fewer voters than they did in the previous two general elections due to their strategy.

Last edited:
eb76d0e7-b039-4e8c-8ae0-4e068573219e.png

Interesting graph (although doesn't include 2024). The really big change, post 2010, is the LD dying on their arse. Looks as though the Tories hoovered up a lot of their voters initially but maybe lost a big chunk of them over the last five years?

Side note, it also puts some of the more hysterical takes about Labour's share of vote into context. Over the last 40 years anything above 40%, from either party, is really exceptional so if Labour get 35% plus this time round that's a solid enough showing. 418 seats is the most ever held by any one party. Labour currently have 412.

Last edited:
I haven't checked but I would assume that the UK has more marginal constituencies (winning margin of less than 5%) after last night than was previously the case (50-75 is the norm), which, if correct, would support the assertion the Labour victory is on more of a knife edge than is indicated by their enormous majority. Labour's victory is still very impressive (especially coming just five years after their worst performance in a GE since 1935), but I think we can expect a lot of volatility in politics in the years ahead. Certainly, this doesn't feel like a 10-year mandate in the way that Blair's victory in '97 did.
Politics is without doubt much less tribal and more volatile, these sorts of wild swings are unusual. But the coalition government didn't feel like the start of a 14 year mandate either (admittedly on a worse performance) but the Tories played their hand well to bed themselves in (tactically if not strategically).

Remember, Labour get to make the moves now - I just hope they are politically savvy enough to do so - eg they need to hang the mess Britain is in, around the Tory necks as definitively as Tories did to Labour over the financial crisis. They do that right and that's half the work for the next election done already.

@Pexbo could you clarify?

I’ve predicted she will leave soon enough for “a new challenge” and it will coincidentally be working either directly for the Tories or for a Tory donor.

Not even one week for a transition?! That’s not a good system, sorry. The transition in the U.S. is too long (like 10 weeks). Don’t take 10 weeks— but few days at least.

Any way, glad that the Conservatives have lost.
Yeah, we should be giving them those couple of months to transition. How could Sunak and his supporters possibly orchestrate a violent march on the Palace of Westminster with only a morning's notice?

Er, because Labour won? And they won, despite a decline in votes, because they had the right strategy? Which was not the case in 2019?

Winning is the whole point. Not "enthusiasm". Power vs Activism.

By this logic Southgate is doing a fantastic job as England manager.

The Civil service remains in place to keep things ticking over. As head of opposition Starmer would have been receiving ongoing briefings before the election.

In the first few days the PM gets some key additional briefings on defence etc, including writing a letter to all submarine commanders to open in the event of Nuclear war breaking out....not sure if Liz Truss ever got round to that one!
Yes, but surely there are important foreign policy, national security, intelligence issues that are known only to the highest levels of governments (like the PM) and the new PM should hear about them from his predecessor before taking over. This is a nuclear country after all.

Same. I can imagine them getting in their heads about not being re-elected if they go too far left, despite just getting in and having 4 years to do whatever they want.
People need to feel economically securer and see development happening around them. If you can manage that, you can be as left or right or up/down as you like - nobody cares.

But they do often get presented with a wider set of considerations as they get older.
Maybe weak-minded people without strong morals do, but people who actually care not to see innocent people in other countries carpet-bombed into oblivion are unlikely to stop doing so because they've got a job in the city and moved into a small but expensive flat five years later.

Maybe weak-minded people without strong morals do, but people who actually care not to see innocent people in other countries carpet-bombed into oblivion are unlikely to stop doing so because they've got a job in the city and moved into a small but expensive flat five years later.

If the conflict is long over then yes

Well that's one interpretation of it. But no more valid an interpretation than the alternative: that Labour won this election on the back of the collapse in support for the Tories with the Reform Party splitting their vote and desipite Labour attracting fewer voters than they did in the previous two general elections due to their strategy.
I am sure that Labour's majority would have been lower if Reform had not split the Tory vote. But that is not the same thing as saying Labour won only because Reform split the Tory vote. Labour was going to win because they did what winning parties always do, and the polls have been consistent about that even before Reform's significance improved. The size of the victory is unprecedented because of the collapse of the Tories.

Yeah, we should be giving them those couple of months to transition. How could Sunak and his supporters possibly orchestrate a violent march on the Palace of Westminster with only a morning's notice?
I didn’t say two months. I said just few days.

I believe that the transition period in the U.S. is way too long, but there has to be some period of transferring power. Like a week.

Nope. Takes at least another 15 years, in my experience.
Well, obviously I can't speak for others, but I'm in my mid 40s and have not yet decided to just accept the injustices I felt strongly about in my 20s just because I've got a mortgage, white hairs, a developing beer gut and a bit of disposible income now.

All politics is local. You'll learn.

eb76d0e7-b039-4e8c-8ae0-4e068573219e.png

Interesting graph (although doesn't include 2024). The really big change, post 2010, is the LD dying on their arse. Looks as though the Tories hoovered up a lot of their voters initially but maybe lost a big chunk of them over the last five years?

Side note, it also puts some of the more hysterical takes about Labour's share of vote into context. Over the last 40 years anything above 40%, from either party, is really exceptional so if Labour get 35% plus this time round that's a solid enough showing. 418 seats is the most ever held by any one party. Labour currently have 412.
They lost a lot of support from the left after the coalition in 2010, but without a doubt some went back to the Tory’s. I certainly voted green in the following election as a protest vote. All that did was allow a Tory majority so I’ve had to vote Lib Dem again ever since.

Well, obviously I can't speak for others, but I'm in my mid 40s and have not yet decided to just accept the injustices I felt strongly about in my 20s just because I've got a mortgage, white hairs, a developing beer gut and a bit of disposible income now.

I'm being glib, of course. Although you definitely get a bit more perspective as you age. Bit of a waste of a life if you don't. Some stuff that you cared desperately about when you were younger matters less, other stuff seems more important. I definitely disagree with the notion that people who are upset about Gaza now won't give a shit at the next general election but there could well be a whole load of other things that seem much more important to them by then.

The redtape bypassed? What does that even mean?

I mean the guy was a candidate YESTERDAY, and he’s now the Prime Minister? Not even 24 hours.

I mean I don't know what to say, the gif was conclusive.

If the conflict is long over then yes
True. Nobody ever mentions the Gulf War or the War on Terror, or any of the other conflicts from the last 30 years and their present-day ramifications as a regular part of political discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.