• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he use his mandate to tackle the most important issue which is going after City and their dubious financial cheating?

The speech Starmer just gave was decent just because it was about wanting positive changes. Quite refreshing after a decade of the leading party only talking about how bad the opposition is and how everything is the fault of other people.

Well at the very least they’re evidently credible opposition. Taking Tories to task for their terrible record in charge. An open goal that Labour have missed in the past.
Not sure it was that open of a goal in the past considering the country's rabid obsession with Brexit, not to mention preceding the sheer corruption and mishandling of the country in the post-covid calamity era of Johnson, Truss and Sunak. They also didn't have the benefit of Reform siphoning away Tory votes in the millions.

Don't be daft. It was 'efficient', apparently.

It was. The Tories have spent the last 14 years gerrymandering, and yet Labour won by 170 seats with what is a low % for a Labour government so it's by definition efficient.

Obviously the Tories splitting their vote with Reform was pivotal, but tactical voting and targeting the right seats and voters has assisted in an incredible result

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you become prime minister this quickly… with no transition period whatsoever? Sure, there are shadows secretaries and so on, but doesn’t the new PM need at least few days to get briefing and conversations with the outgoing PM?

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you become prime minister this quickly… with no transition period whatsoever? Sure, there are shadows secretaries and so on, but doesn’t the new PM need at least few days to get briefing and conversations with the outgoing PM?

There's meant to be a process but apparently Starmer just did this and all the red tape was instantly bypassed.

loyd-move.gif

This was a kick out the Tories vote.

My guess (at this point, obviously it's too early to know).

In those seats where Labour was best placed to win, Labour picked up Tory votes.
In those seats where Labour could not win, Labour votes went to the Lib dems.
In hardcore Tory seats, the anti Tory vote went to Reform or Lib dems.

Just a guess though.
Funny that this decline in votes for Labour is given a free pass as part of a 'Tories Out' election, but the 2019 result where Labour got more votes gets talked about as a disaster caused by Corbyn's leadership rather than it being dominated by the 'Get Brexit Done' rhetoric of the time.

Was the photo ID requirement a factor at all?

There's stories about people getting turned away and of people with valid commonwealth passports having the names not exactly matching. There's probably also a percentage who didn't have any.

It's what I love about our system. No fecking about whatsoever.

There's meant to be a process but apparently Starmer just did this and all the red tape was instantly bypassed.

loyd-move.gif
The redtape bypassed? What does that even mean?

I mean the guy was a candidate YESTERDAY, and he’s now the Prime Minister? Not even 24 hours.

Funny that this decline in votes for Labour is given a free pass as part of a 'Tories Out' election, but the 2019 result where Labour got more votes gets talked about as a disaster caused by Corbyn's leadership rather than it being dominated by the 'Get Brexit Done' rhetoric of the time.
Er, because Labour won? And they won, despite a decline in votes, because they had the right strategy? Which was not the case in 2019?

Winning is the whole point. Not "enthusiasm". Power vs Activism.

It's what I love about our system. No fecking about whatsoever.
Not even one week for a transition?! That’s not a good system, sorry. The transition in the U.S. is too long (like 10 weeks). Don’t take 10 weeks— but few days at least.

Any way, glad that the Conservatives have lost.

I just cannot subscribe to the argument that Labour have somehow been tactically brilliant here by winning the election by a landslide with 36% of the vote at the same time as relying on the public to vote tactically when in reality it’s the Reform vote which has benefited them enormously.

There is just zero logic to it if you give it even the slightest interrogation. Labour are not popular, Starmer is not popular and they’re just huge beneficiaries of the context of this election.

The redtape bypassed? What does that even mean?

I mean the guy was a candidate YESTERDAY, and he’s now the Prime Minister? Not even 24 hours.
Doesn't he have to go to the King and ask for permission to set up a new government? Or has he done that already?

Not even one week for a transition?! That’s not a good system, sorry. The transition in the U.S. is too long (like 10 weeks). Don’t take 10 weeks— but few days at least.

The opposition party has months of behind-the-scenes transition talks with the civil service in the run up to an (expected) general election.

I think it's going to be interesting to see why turnout was so low. And Reform+Tories=majority is way, way too simplistic.
How so? It's basically what they did in 2019 when Farage stood down all his Brexit Party candidates in Tory seats. All they've done is rebadge and show the Tories what could happen when they don't stand down.

The transition, such as it is, happens before the election. But we also have the civil service which is there to provide continuity.

There's not much to transition as parliament hasn't been open so no parliamentary business is ongoing.

Besides the civil servants who really run most of the country are still place.

The Civil service remains in place to keep things ticking over. As head of opposition Starmer would have been receiving ongoing briefings before the election.

In the first few days the PM gets some key additional briefings on defence etc, including writing a letter to all submarine commanders to open in the event of Nuclear war breaking out....not sure if Liz Truss ever got round to that one!

I just cannot subscribe to the argument that Labour have somehow been tactically brilliant here by winning the election by a landslide with 36% of the vote at the same time as relying on the public to vote tactically when in reality it’s the Reform vote which has benefited them enormously.

There is just zero logic to it if you give it even the slightest interrogation. Labour are not popular, Starmer is not popular and they’re just huge beneficiaries of the context of this election.
Looking at the vote shares and margins if Farage stood down his candidates like he did in 2019 it would have been a lot closer and Labour wouldn't have won as many seats.

The Civil service remains in place to keep things ticking over. As head of opposition Starmer would have been receiving ongoing briefings before the election.

In the first few days the PM gets some key additional briefings on defence etc, including writing a letter to all submarine commanders to open in the event of Nuclear war breaking out....not sure if Liz Truss ever got round to that one!

Well, what is left of the civil service after 14 years of the Tories abusing it

Looking at the vote shares and margins if Farage stood down his candidates like he did in 2019 it would have been a lot closer and Labour wouldn't have won as many seats.

That's assuming all the votes for Reform would be Conservative usually, which probably isn't the case.

Reform got a huge boost when Farage became leader, and Labour were well ahead in polls before then though.

How so? It's basically what they did in 2019 when Farage stood down all his Brexit Party candidates in Tory seats. All they've done is rebadge and show the Tories what could happen when they don't stand down.
Because (a) Labour gets to set the agenda now and they will do all they can to box the tories in - much as Blair did - and (b) because Farage puts off the sort moderate voters the Tories need to get a majority. And (c) if Reform vanished tomorrow, you would not see 100% of their vote break to the Tories. In short, Reform+ Tories is bigger than the current Tories... but such a very right wing Tory party has a ceiling. IMO of course.

That assumes that all reform votes would have gone tory which is a big reach
That's assuming all the votes for Reform would be Conservative usually, which probably isn't the case.
They turned up in their thousands, i really don't see them voting Labour, so where else would they feel at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.