• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, lots of people tactically voted reform who would otherwise vote left leaning parties. Sure.
This was a kick out the Tories vote.

My guess (at this point, obviously it's too early to know).

In those seats where Labour was best placed to win, Labour picked up Tory votes.
In those seats where Labour could not win, Labour votes went to the Lib dems.
In hardcore Tory seats, the anti Tory vote went to Reform or Lib dems.

Just a guess though.

From living in different countries, my feeling is that a public-private sector is probably the best. I was ok with Germany's public-private healthcare, while it has its own problems, I think it worked quite well. I loved Switzerland's (private) but I do not think it is easy to translate the system of a small rich country to a large less rich one. I did not like the Italy's one, it is better than UK's for small things (e.g., visiting your family doctor) but I had mixed experience for more serious stuff (great first class treatment for my brother who had a life-threatening infection, but abhorrent for my father who had cancer). I hated US one, while it was great personally for me (top-tier health insurance), if you have no insurance you're literally left to die or need to go into massive debts.

I have no idea what is the best, but I am not sure if a fully public sector works, at least not without making massive concessions in other parts (lowering the budget somewhere else, or drastically increasing the income tax*). I think NHS needs a fundamental change, not patching it. I do not think fully private is a solution (at least not for many), and even if it is, it needs to be extremely regulated, unlike in the US. I am also not sure if fully public is a good solution though.

* I do not think that is also a solution cause it is already quite high. Taxing more the super rich while appealing in nature IMO does not work simply cause then they leave for Monaco. Increasing the corporate tax looks the best bet to me, I do not see much arguments against it.
You've not spoken about a single reform here. Corbyn was offering a state owned pharma company that would produce generic drugs for a fraction of the cost currently being paid. That would have massively reduced the financial burden and created thousands of jobs. If there was excess, which would have been entirely possible, that could have been sold on the international market making the entire project potentially profitable.

Yeah this argument is pickling my brain

This was a kick out the Tories vote.

My guess (at this point, obviously it's too early to know).

In those seats where Labour was best placed to win, Labour picked up Tory votes.
In those seats where Labour could not win, Labour votes went to the Lib dems.
In hardcore Tory seats, the anti Tory vote went to Reform or Lib dems.

Just a guess though.

A kick out the tories vote where we had the 2nd lowest turnout in a century or whatever it’s been. This is the point, Labour aren’t drawing voters.

Look at the votes Reform got, and add those to the Tories, recount everything and that’s likely where we are in 5 years unless something dramatic changes.

ITV putting Farage on I'm A Celebrity was so irresponsible, man. Crazy

Sorry, you've lost me. Why do you keep mentioning "volunteer healthcare professional in refugee camps in war zones"? And what has it got to do with the topic being discussed in the post you quoted?

You were clearly referring to me. Anyway, I think we already discussed it enough.

Yes but the conversation context was clearly about modern leftism, not leftism from the 1920's era which has been enshrined into the overton window as none-negotiable.
That's very naive. Nothing is non-negotiable and everything we've won must be continued to be defended.

Just look at what's been happening in America since 2016. The right will gladly take back anything that has already been given. Nothing is safe forever.

How are those leftist policies though?

Universal healthcare, basic wages, humane working hours and workers right's in Europe supercede any overton window or any political spectrum.
Wtf? Is this a joke? Feck me. I appreciate your football posts, but this is like you seriously have no concept of history.

A kick out the tories vote where we had the 2nd lowest turnout in a century or whatever it’s been. This is the point, Labour aren’t drawing voters.

Look at the votes Reform got, and add those to the Tories, recount everything and that’s likely where we are in 5 years unless something dramatic changes.
Bingo.

Starmer can shift as far right as he likes in the next 5 years and do everything to satisfy his corporate backers, Farage, Murdoch and whoever else. All that happens in the next election is they say thank you very much and the Tories and Reform work out a deal to merge and Starmer is trounced with a supermajority.

Tory fatigue will be long forgotten when they regroup, rebrand and Labour fatigue sets in.

They have to start offering reasons to vote for them instead of relying on reasons not to vote for their opposition.

The low turn out has to be taken as a problem for Labour, a huge part of the voting population are disenfranchised and considering they had plenty of viable options on the far right, it’s not difficult to infer that a lot of those staying at home are completely apathetic because they don’t believe any of the feasible potential governments are looking out for their interests.

Isn't the turnout super low due to this election being a forgone conclusion? I know loads of people that didn't bother voting because it would have made no difference whether they voted or not.

It's not something I agree with doing, as too many people doing that gives the tories and reforms of this world a chance to gain seats, but it's definitely the biggest reason I've heard for why people didn't bother to vote.

Why is the idea that the NHS system needs huge reform or even dismantling considered a controversial policy?

People seem to mistake the idea that the NHS is synonymous with Universal healthcare free at point of use.

It's not. NHS is in itself an implementation of Universal healthcare, one that met the needs of the 1940's and 50's when it was built. It is a very unique, decentralized and distributed system that is very different from almost every other developed countries universal healthcare system.

There is nothing wrong, or even controversial, to say that, "The NHS in its current state is not doing a good job at providing universal healthcare. Perhaps we need to relook at our universal healthcare model and look for inspiration from other countries in Europe that have far more successful models that offer better outcomes and value and also is free at point of use."
I think it's more to do with the assumption that the NHS is failing because of an anachronistic structure, and the facile examination of outcomes. When it was sufficiently funded the NHS was outperforming many of the alternatives currently being lauded.

Of course the NHS needs modernizing, but the same can be said of every healthcare system at every moment in its existence, per omnia saecula seculorum. If the NHS had received an additional €70b in funding per annum between 2010-2019 to keep pace with Germany, would we be currently discussing its inefficiencies in the same way? I don't think so.

This was only 13 years ago :
Using the latest data from the World Health Organisation, the paper shows that although Labour's tax-and-spend strategy for the NHS saw health spending rise to a record 9.3% of GDP, this was less than Germany with 10.7% or the US with 15%.
Not only was the UK cheaper, says the paper, it saved more lives. The NHS reduced the number of adult deaths a million of the population by 3,951 a year – far better than the nearest comparable European countries. France managed 2,779 lives a year and Germany 2,395.
This means, the paper says, that dramatic NHS improvements have led to a situation where that there are now 162,000 fewer deaths every year compared with 1980.

ITV putting Farage on I'm A Celebrity was so irresponsible, man. Crazy
ITV producers are all Tory bastards. Just look at all their flagship shows, they’re all basically Daily Mail TV.

I think it's going to be interesting to see why turnout was so low. And Reform+Tories=majority is way, way too simplistic.

A relief to wake up this morning and see that the predicted 13 seats for Reform didn't come close. Disappointing they got so many votes though.

That could largely be explained by the result being such a foregone conclusion. When the result doesn’t seem to be in the balance then people will easily find excuses to leave the actual voting to other people. The fact it was such a foregone conclusion is mainly down to the Tories imploding but clearly also down to Labour making themselves seem like a viable alternative (for the first time in a decade)

Isn't the turnout super low due to this election being a forgone conclusion? I know loads of people that didn't bother voting because it would have made no difference whether they voted or not.

It's not something I agree with doing, as too many people doing that gives the tories and reforms of this world a chance to gain seats, but it's definitely the biggest reason I've heard for why people didn't bother to vote.
I think that's likely to be part of it. Maybe even people who withheld their vote. Still quite low though.

That could largely be explained by the result being such a foregone conclusion. When the result doesn’t seem to be in the balance then people will easily find excuses to leave the actual voting to other people. The fact it was such a foregone conclusion is mainly down to the Tories imploding but clearly also down to Labour making themselves seem like a viable alternative (for the first time in a decade)

Or it could be explained by Labour offering absolutely nothing other than being a less corrupt version of the Tories.

So the Reform seat projection turned out to be completely wrong? They got lots of votes but not much to show for it.

They're just UKIP territory. Loads of people mention the 2017 vote but they forget the Kippers were not a factor in that election.

I don't like him but he's the best speaker since Cameron and probably won't fumble in the ways the others have.
He needs to be more aggressive though, and he needs more charisma. He'll need it even more when trying to pipe Farage down, that's my only worry.

all the young people, students etc. who rallied this time around will be working, paying taxes and have different priorities.
Yeah, they'll have different priorities, and hopefully the destruction of Gaza will soon be abated, but it won't be forgotten about. Look at how people who were of university age back in 2010 speak about the Lib Dems now. Their abandonment of their policy on tuition fees is still talked about 14 years later as a key reason they will not get those votes back.

Yeah, they'll have different priorities, and hopefully the destruction of Gaza will soon be abated, but it won't be forgotten about. Look at how people who were of university age back in 2010 speak about the Lib Dems now. Their abandonment of their policy on tuition fees is still talked about 14 years later as a key reason they will not get those votes back.

Well aren't they still paying them off or suffering from the debt? A lot of young support of Gaza was just right-on, fashionable campus politics that won't be a factor in the next election.

This is a a bit of a weird response really. Are the only options NHS or mad max style society with no healthcare at all?

No but that wasn't really what the guy said. Dissolving the NHS doesn't achieve anything in itself and is a strange aim.

A bit like all the people who really wanted, say, Lingard sold and would say "anyone else would be better". We watched all the anything else in our squad for years and they were all just as shite (until Lingard really gave up - how's he doing in Korea anyway?).

The thread is moving too quickly to keep up whilst at work, but all the people with the attitude of essentially “don’t look beneath the surface, enjoy the massive Labour majority and ask no questions” are an example of exactly why the left never get anywhere meaningful and the Overton Window moves ever to the right.

Labour will now spend all their time trying to appease the right, get feck all done, and wonder why they get spanked again in 5 years when Toreform have unified and taken back all the right voters to a single party.

Refusing to look at voter share and the actual reasons behind these results is just buying your head in the sand. This is a massive majority, yes, cool, but it’s not because of any movement of support towards Labour.

The best thing they could do now would be to actually try and enact meaningful change and improve people’s lives, giving them pause for thought come next election. But they won’t; they’ll talk about a lack of magic money trees and needing to make sure they don’t alienate the racist piece of shit voters who will never actually get behind them.
:+1:

there’s definitely more than a small element of that. i refuse to believe that there aren’t some fundamentally good people in among them, that have just lost their way with being fed bile by the likes of murdoch. 14% of voters feels like a lot more dickheads than the dickhead to normal ratio of people i usually meet.

You can be racist or vote for racists without thinking or realising you are being racist.

there’s definitely more than a small element of that. i refuse to believe that there aren’t some fundamentally good people in among them, that have just lost their way with being fed bile by the likes of murdoch. 14% of voters feels like a lot more dickheads than the dickhead to normal ratio of people i usually meet.

I think a lot of people also just want to go back to a simpler time, like 20 years ago where you could be Danny Dyer and star in Football Factory and Mean Machine. Truly anything was possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.