• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stunned that Labour in 2024 have won 410+ seats after the horror showing of 2019 and yet people are using every thing possible to tell us that they didn’t actually win this election.

On a side note why in this world was this on a Thursday night. How am I supposed to work after this

Why are you all so sensitive :lol: If you don't want to see people looking at the detail go out and enjoy yourselves rather than reading through a politics thread.

The point is that Labour have literally only won because of the emergence of Reform. The majority they have won is indicative of how preposterous FPTP is and if you look at voting percentages around the country and compare only that, which is a much clearer indication of public sentiment and public support and they are show to be woefully lacking.

When a massive win is a loss in the eyes of some, no one remembers how you won only that you did.

As many have stated its what they do now they've won that matters if peoples lives materially improve in the next 5 years all what you have said is meaningless as they'll likely win again and possibly by more, it's basically about what happens during their term than what the voter turnout was or wasn't this time around so let's enjoy the victory for a day and then the work starts tomorrow in changing things for people for the better.

Looking at the tories that are left, its very likely braverman will be leader of the opposition, or maybe they put duncan smith in until they regroup.

BBC:

Financial markets barely moved when they opened this morning.

The pound and the stock market edged up a smidge, while government borrowing cost barely moved.

They don't like surprises and as historic as this result was - it’s one they were expecting.

A thumping majority gives a sense of stability and allows for what some have called a "dullness dividend".

From here markets will want to know whether that’s enough to get businesses to invest to stimulate the elusive growth that government needs.

I mean that turnaround isn't because of Labour.
The Tories did a fine job of making people detest them. But Labour also made itself electable once more.

The new leadership did the hard work: rebuilding trust with the Jewish community, repairing relations with business, and getting the loose cannons off the front bench. They put themselves in a position to win, and then ran a disciplined campaign which avoided all the landmines laid by the Tories and right-wing media.

Put it this way, if this was still Corbyn's Labour Party, the Tories would have stayed united, Farage wouldn't have ran against them, more right-wing voters would have turned out to vote, and they wouldn't have won.

Also worth noting how fragile this huge majority is and what it's based on.

In 2017, Labour and the Conservatives pulled in 82.3% of the vote. According the the BBC, the tally for those parties with all but 5 seats declared is 57.5%. That's a huge difference and shows how susceptible Labour are to shifts in the electorate to smaller parties or the alliance of two of their rivals.

I am stunned that Labour in 2024 have won 410+ seats after the horror showing of 2019 and yet people are using every thing possible to tell us that they didn’t actually win this election.

On a side note why in this world was this on a Thursday night. How am I supposed to work after this
It's almost always on a Thursday night?

Edit. Yep. Since 1935.

I think that is very much not proven and misses the point of which voters in which seats, so it's not been equal. This was a kick out the Tories vote. I would guess that labour won because they flipped a load of previously Tory voters in the seats they were 2nd in. Labour voters in seats labour could not win, went to the lib Dems, which explains the change to vote share. Reform hit the Tory vote in some core Tory areas. While Labour lost some of its Corbyn vote to the greens.

Anyway, we will see.

Lib Dem's performance, in vote share, is similar to 2019: 11.6 to "around 12". So, maybe a 1 % share increase, and marginally fewer total votes. If a lot of Labour voters voted Lib Dem tactically, then the Lib Dems have been hemorrhaging votes elsewhere. Or, more likely, tactical voting went both ways as always, and had a normal result which is going to give them more seats because of the Story collapse.

The comparatively strong result of the Green Party is stronger evidence, I think. It's likely that you'll find a bunch of disgruntled Labour voters there, who have been replaced by people who wouldn't vote for Corbyn in 19.

In 2017, Labour and the Conservatives pulled in 82. 3% of the vote. According the the BBC, the tally for those parties with all but 5 seats declared is 57.5%. That's a huge difference and shows how susceptible Labour are to shifts in the electorate to smaller parties or the alliance of two of their rivals.

It shows how susceptible the Tories are. Labour won the election. These trends worked in their favour. Remains to be seen what any of this means at the next election. Five years is a very long time in politics.

The point is that Labour have literally only won because of the emergence of Reform. The majority they have won is indicative of how preposterous FPTP is and if you look at voting percentages around the country and compare only that, which is a much clearer indication of public sentiment and public support and they are show to be woefully lacking.

I think the emergence of Reform reflects more on the severity of the majority and the lack of Tory seats, the polls long before Farage standing for election had Labour down as winning.

For all the talk of Labour being more of the same, people on here seem quite satisfied with the outcome :smirk:

Let's see what Labour can do. Whatever else, at least it's not the Tories!

In 2017, Labour and the Conservatives pulled in 82. 3% of the vote. According the the BBC, the tally for those parties with all but 5 seats declared is 57.5%. That's a huge difference and shows how susceptible Labour are to shifts in the electorate to smaller parties or the alliance of two of their rivals.

True - but also worth factoring the rhetoric in the build up to this election. This has been an incoming Labour landslide since Sunak called the election. The polls have never wavered, the projection hasn't shifted. Did that give space for those on the left to choose alternatives? Would they have done so if there was a real prospect of another Conservative government? Likewise on the right, if there was a chance that the Conservatives could win, would so many have defected? Of course the latter is also impacted by the failures of recent Tory governments but I think it may hold true in certain Labour cases. Also, worth noting a low turnout - that could also have been influenced in part by the certainty in the build up.

This is a pretty unique election, certainly in this century, due to the clarity it's had. I think it's hard to compare and contrast accurately with more recent ones.

It shows how susceptible the Tories are. Labour won the election. These trends worked in their favour. Remains to be seen what any of this means at the next election. Five years is a very long time in politics.
To me it shows how a Tory party has an easy route to reinventing itself and bringing back those lost voters in an allegiance with Reform.

Well we did it, but I'm not overly enthusiatic. The sheer amount of votes for the Tories (my area is still them ffs) and reform are rather predictably depressing.

What we can hope for now is boring, sensible politics from Labour and policies that show promise. The right are going to go even harder with the American style lying/smearing trash tv politics, hopefully Starmer can keep a lid on it.

However you dress it up the massive swing is primarily due to the sheer incompetence and blatant corruption of The Tories, which is quite remakeable really.

The best policy for Starmer almost was to do nothing at all because voters were being pushed to Labour anyway so why risk doing or saying anything that might deter them elsewhere. Didn't really have to worry about combating the tories attempt to halt the landslide when one of their main pitches was forcing everyone's kids to join the army.

Also suggesting reform is the reason Labour won is dumb. Firstly quite a lot of the reform voting mob (as you can easily tell by where they performed stronger) are the working class foreign hating lot. A large proportion of who would not have been voting tory because from their perspective everything since brexit has been a car crash. Secondly elections are tactical and every party would have had some idea of voting patterns. If Reform weren't there Labour would have targeted the demographic they took up. It's probably given Labour a bigger majority by splitting some of the tory vote but to suggest its why they won after the mess of the last 5 years is dumb.

Over 4 million people voted for Reform :eek:

Very worrying

True - but also worth factoring the rhetoric in the build up to this election. This has been an incoming Labour landslide since Sunak called the election. The polls have never wavered, the projection hasn't shifted. Did that give space for those on the left to choose alternatives? Would they have done so if there was a real prospect of another Conservative government? Likewise on the right, if there was a chance that the Conservatives could win, would so many have defected? Of course the latter is also impacted by the failures of recent Tory governments but I think it may hold true in certain Labour cases. Also, worth noting a low turnout - that could also have been influenced in part by the certainty in the build up.

This is a pretty unique election, certainly in this century, due to the clarity it's had. I think it's hard to compare and contrast accurately with more recent ones.
You make some really good points there. I appreciate your post, and hope you're right!

I need the full videos of Mogg and Truss losing their seats if possible :lol:

Sure, in the UK system it's good for Labour to gain some Tory voters, even if it makes a similar number of previous Labour voters stay home or vote Green. However, if Corbyn was such a disaster and Labour such a tarnished brand, then a well-run campaign shouldn't have much difficulty in actually gaining votes as well. They haven't really done that.

A huge amount of Tory voters stayed home or defected to Reform, that is what actually made Labour win in a landslide. Then you likely had some minor movement, where a low single digit percentage of right wingers turned to Labour.

No doubt Jezza had a lot of very devoted fans and his campaigns definitely had an energy within the left in the UK that I think it's fair to say isn't there for the current Labour party. As condescending as it sounds, he got a lot of young people excited about politics.

He also scared a lot of people and motivated the Tory base almost as much and turned off a lot of the traditional Labour vote from working class areas, though it's arguable they were lost anyway due to Brexit.

The Labour candidate was a leftist too. Faiza's ego just couldn't take the rejection. Labour have every right in choosing their candidates.
Then she has every right to stand on her own, Labour removed a popular candidate and she took up her right to stand as an independent.

Full recount in Basildon - Reform are leading Labour by 150 or so votes according to reports.
Is that the same area Farage has stood in the past? Presumably because there's an apparent appetite for his brand of nonsense there?

We need sensible, boring long term decisions (because we haven't had any for 14 years now) and some major undertakings. We won't solve by climate change or get green investment going by making it marginally easier for renewable energy firms to file their tax returns.

We absolutely need to do boring things like unfeck HMRC, electrify our railways (how do we still have diesel ones in such a tiny country FFS?), simplify planning laws... but we also need to actually set aside money to invest in infrastructure, public services, and support small businesses. We've spent 14 years trashing everything and meanwhile the problems have only been accelerating away from us. Just going back to where we were is not even close to enough.
Green investment in the UK actually isn't so bad. Change the planning laws to allow onshore wind, and it'll grow even further. Either way, the future of the climate largely rests in the hands of China, America and India. But we should still do our bit.

I agree that infrastructure needs additional capital spending, and should be treated differently to day-to-day government finances and public services. But there really isn't much more money available for public services, at least if you want to keep tax receipts and public borrowing in their historically normal range — it will rely on achieving higher economic growth if we want the public sector to have more money to spend.

now labor are in charge in 5 years time well all be transgender and forced to marry a aseyelam seeker

The Tories did a fine job of making people detest them. But Labour also made itself electable once more.

The new leadership did the hard work: rebuilding trust with the Jewish community, repairing relations with business, and getting the loose cannons off the front bench. They put themselves in a position to win, and then ran a disciplined campaign which avoided all the landmines laid by the Tories and right-wing media.

Put it this way, if this was still Corbyn's Labour Party, the Tories would have stayed united, Farage wouldn't have ran against them, more right-wing voters would have turned out to vote, and they wouldn't have won.

I think they did just enough, nothing more and nothing less. This election landslide is mostly down to the Tories being utterly useless and detestable. I think the other metrics indicate that too.

So the share of the vote is up only 2% on 2019 and the vote share is down. Did they get any more votes than 2019? I voted Labour but they need to look at what has happened. This is the Tory vote imploding not urning up not Labour having a massive uptick.

Status
Not open for further replies.