• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically Mordaunt would have been one of the better candidates to lead the Tories. It really is a free for all now and a chance for the right wing of the party to seize power and unite with Farage. Really struggling for any decent leadership candidates with half a brain.

You don’t think that with an ego the size of Farage’s that he’ll want another run at it at the next election to see how many more seats Reform can win? I can see Reform going even further right after this success and it making it hard to merge the two parties.

But I could be very wrong.

For now I’ll just enjoy the epic hosing the Tory cnuts just received.

Farage wants to be PM. He wants to reunite the right wing and try to seize power that way. He won’t be pissing about being a backbench MP for long.

Ummm have you seen the result?

It's looking like a 1997 result, off of the back of the 2019 result when Labour were a tarnished brand when he took over. Obviously the Tories self-immolated with Johnson and Truss but he had to steer the ship into being a viable choice for middle England
Yeah, the result that shows fewer votes for Labour in the 2024 GE than in 2019. The vote share has only increased by 1.7%

So it's fantastic that we've got the Tories out finally, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement of Starmer's Labour by the general public. It's less popular, but has double the seats due almost entirely to the capitulation of the Tories, the rise of Reform and the quirks of our electoral system.

If they want to still be in power in 2030, Starmer needs to start turning things around sharpish. Anything other than a dramatic improvement in public services and quality of life will see them back in opposition come the next election.

Labour need to make a difference to people’s lives. Just blaming Tories and maintaining the status quo isn’t going to cut it. There needs to be real visible improvement in major areas.

It's a good result but that'll definitely cause a lot of concern amongst the party. It's another election decided on external factors.

The Tories can never be as unpopular as they are right now and still the turnout was low, lots of marginal seats, and a combined reform/Tory vote will probably beat Labour next time.

Yeah, the result that shows fewer votes for Labour in the 2024 GE than in 2019. The vote share has only increased by 1.7%

So it's fantastic that we've got the Tories out finally, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement of Starmer's Labour by the general public. It's less popular, but has double the seats due almost entirely to the capitulation of the Tories, the rise of Reform and the quirks of our electoral system.

If they want to still be in power in 2030, Starmer needs to start turning things around sharpish. Anything other than a dramatic improvement in public services and quality of life will see them back in opposition come the next election.

Agreed. Will be interesting to see what labour does from here but at least the actual Tory's who've used the country as a piggy bank for 14 years are out. Like you say though, now the real work starts for labour.

Have you considered that maybe you don't understand how power is won under a FPTP electorial system?
I understand how it's won, I just think you have a very positive spin on anything Labour, and a very negative reaction to anyone questioning their tactics and trajectory over the past couple of years.

Getting the seats is great. I'm just not hopeful they'll be the leadership we need to turn things around. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong. If you come back to gloat at how off the mark I was in three or four years time, I'll take that any day.

Liz Truss lost her seat, I've heard.

Time for to move overseas and become a full-time grifter at Newsmax or something.

11847 plants from the Deepwoke Statesheep. A sad day for democracy.

Farage wants to be PM. He wants to reunite the right wing and try to seize power that way. He won’t be pissing about being a backbench MP for long.

He’d be wildly out of his depth as PM and I think he knows this. He strikes me as someone who enjoys having power over the other parties and political figures, rather than desiring the number one spot himself.

Don't feel a thing watching these results come in.

Labour have massively triumphed because of an electoral system more and more people are becoming disenfranchised with. With all the splintering to smaller parties, and with an eye on what's happening in France, it feels like an election result that's told us nothing about the future of the nation. Everything still feels up in the air. If Labour proceed to do nothing but follow a technocratic vision with measily managerial policies (i.e. austerity with a slightly different flavour, telling the electorate they're going to get another decade of pain and they deserve it) there needs to be serious organisation from outside activists or Farage 2029 seems fairly inevitable.

2025 feels like a placeholder election, and 2029 feels potentially cataclysmic.

Easier to do that from government when you can show the electorate how it works from a position of power than being in opposition telling the electorate how wrong and stupid they are so they should vote for you.

He’d be wildly out of his depth as PM and I think he knows this. He strikes me as someone who enjoys having power over the other parties and political figures, rather than desiring the number one spot himself.

But he’s seen an opportunity to seize power and a route for it. No doubt in my mind he will try to go for it.

He’s won by a landslide. A massive majority. I don’t think anyone in Labour gives a flying feck about vote share this morning. They’ve ousted the Tories and have a stranglehold in parliament, to help them start to undo the damage done by the previous government.

This is great news to wake up to. So pleased there are finally some adults in the room across the pond. You all should be chuffed too. No great surprise so many people on the caf are moaning though. That’s what we do, right?

I understand how it's won, I just think you have a very positive spin on anything Labour, and a very negative reaction to anyone questioning their tactics and trajectory over the past couple of years.

Getting the seats is great. I'm just not hopeful they'll be the leadership we need to turn things around. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong. If you come back to gloat at how off the mark I was in three or four years time, I'll take that any day.
I just think the evidence is there in the size of the lib dem result although we will need to see seat by seat how it played out to be sure.

You make it sound like a disaster, they've won 400+ seats
I know it's only a small number of seats and far from a disaster for Labour, but they are almost the only places in the country that saw Labour lose their seats against the backdrop of the opposite. I may be wrong, but I think they only lost one seat to the Cons.

And it's all down to what I consider to be an entirely unnecessary stance taken by Starmer on an international humanitarian issue. It may have only directly led to the loss a few seats, but it's also led to a lot of lost votes across the country that he'll struggle to regain in five years time. People remember stuff like this.

He’s won by a landslide. A massive majority. I don’t think anyone in Labour gives a flying feck about vote share this morning . They’ve ousted the Tories and have a stranglehold in parliament, to help them start to undo the damage done by the previous government.

This is great news to wake up to. So pleased there are finally some adults in the room across the pond. You all should be chuffed too. No great surprise so many people on the caf are moaning though. That’s what we do, right?
They should, because those figures are important. Lest we forget, the Tories won by a landslide in 2019. And look where they are now.

Overall I’m happy that the Tories have finally fecked off but I just can’t get excited about a Labour Party under Starmer. If this was Corbyn I might actually be able to get excited about real change, but as it stands I’m just feeling incredibly sceptical that anything meaningful will actually happen. It’s all abit depressing and reminds me why I’ve become so disillusioned with modern politics in this country.

Quelle surprise, Galloway loses his seat ….sack of shit didn’t even turn up for the result

Rochdale firmly voting that they do not want a Primark.

He'll rock up at the next by-election with some empty promises for the local electorate, grifters gonna grift.

My town, I'm proud of this result even though all I could do was cast my vote (this from the BBC):

Southport has a Labour MP for the first time since the constituency was created in the 1880s.

Merseyside's sole Conservative MP Damien Moore, who has represented the seaside town since 2017, was dramatically ousted by Patrick Hurley.

Labour achieved a swing of 13.2% from the Tories, whose hopes were in large part dashed by the rise of Reform UK.

Southport had only ever been represented by the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats.

It's looking like a 1997 result, off of the back of the 2019 result when Labour were a tarnished brand when he took over. Obviously the Tories self-immolated with Johnson and Truss but he had to steer the ship into being a viable choice for middle England

It's a great result in terms of seats. Superb. The dramatic fall in turnout's a bit concerning though, as is the fact that Labour's own vote seems to have fallen short even of 2019.

In all honesty it looks very much like Labour's resounding victory is the indirect result of an enormous right wing schism rather than born of any great enthusiasm for their own position.

You compare it to 1997 but Blair had 3.5million+ more votes from a much smaller electorate. Even though the headline number in Parliament is similar Starmer's majority is much more tenuous than that.

Last edited:
Just seen Ashworth lost his seat that's a surprise as he's an MP often doing the rounds. Streeting only won by circa 500 as well.

If things only get moderately better, voters will go back to the Tories?

Labour need to make a difference to people’s lives. Just blaming Tories and maintaining the status quo isn’t going to cut it. There needs to be real visible improvement in major areas.
Exactly. That's the real test. And there's a lot of work to do.

They should, because those figures are important. Lest we forget, the Tories won by a landslide in 2019. And look where they are now.

Not today they aren’t.

And the Tory reversal came due to spectacularly incompetent leadership, by letting literal idiots take the reins. Starmer has many flaws but he does seem to be a competent person. It’s unlikely he’ll score as many own goals as Truss et al.

The result for Labour, as in votes received, hasn't changed much.

1997: 43.2 % vote share, 71.3 % turnout -> 30.8 % of registered voters voted for Labour.

2019: 32.1 % vote share, 67.3 % turnout -> 21.6 % of registered voters voted for Labour.

2024, approximate numbers: 35 % vote share, 60 % turnout -> 21 % of registered voters voted for Labour.

Among those who actually voted, Starmer did a little bit better than Corbyn. Among registered voters, he did marginally worse. It's pretty clear that this Labour landslide is because of the Conservative collapse, and has very little in common with other big victories like 1997. Labour's tactic of moving to the right has either not been attractive to many potential voters, or it has but at the same time been around equally off-putting to other voters.

Labour have massively triumphed because of an electoral system more and more people are becoming disenfranchised with. With all the splintering to smaller parties, and with an eye on what's happening in France, it feels like an election result that's told us nothing about the future of the nation. Everything still feels up in the air. If Labour proceed to do nothing but follow a technocratic vision with measily managerial policies (i.e. austerity with a slightly different flavour, telling the electorate they're going to get another decade of pain and they deserve it) there needs to be serious organisation from outside activists or Farage 2029 seems fairly inevitable.

Some competent technocracy is arguably exactly what we need right now. There isn't much money to spend but there is a lot of value to be had in getting into the weeds and simplifying the broken tax system, digitising the NHS, streamlining the planning laws etc.

If we are going to restart growth as a country, it's probably going to come from making sensible, boring long-term decisions, rather than blowing a load of cash on the government's favourite pet projects.

He’s won by a landslide. A massive majority. I don’t think anyone in Labour gives a flying feck about vote share this morning. They’ve ousted the Tories and have a stranglehold in parliament, to help them start to undo the damage done by the previous government.

That a massive landslide can come from such a relatively minor change in vote share reflects the ultimate vulnerability of Labour's position though, no?
It just as easily shift the other way next time.

I don't think the veneer of looking competent and being "adults in the room" will protect their already fragile popularity if all they do over the next five years is relatively more of the same neoliberal managerialism. You've got multiple Tories on tele this morning saying the party should be receptive to making deals with Farage next time around.

But he’s seen an opportunity to seize power and a route for it. No doubt in my mind he will try to go for it.

I think he just sees it as additional leverage for him to wield. The guy makes a living masquerading as a working class hero and doing sweet feck all. That would all change as PM when he actually had to do a days work and be on the hook for something.

There's more chance of me becoming PM in 2029 than Farage.

Do you not remember Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak? It doesn't matter that we know he'll be out of his depth, these people have zero self awareness and are living examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Farage will do everything possible to get into that position.

Some competent technocracy is arguably exactly what we need right now. There isn't much money to spend but there is a lot of value to be had in getting into the weeds and simplifying the broken tax system, digitising the NHS, streamlining the planning laws etc.

If we are going to restart growth as a country, it's probably going to come from making sensible, boring long-term decisions, rather than blowing a load of cash on the government's favourite pet projects.

Possibly. I could definitely be proven wrong. But I worry that Labour basically have no vision for a political landscape that's shifting rapidly around them. And I think people are fed up of being told austerity is the sensible adult option while inequality continues to grow.

Basically it needs to be producing tangible benefits within the five years. I don't think they have the goodwill to forestall in 2029 by saying it will get better after the next election we promise.

Easier to do that from government when you can show the electorate how it works from a position of power than being in opposition telling the electorate how wrong and stupid they are so they should vote for you.
I really hope you're right. I suppose all we can do now is hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.