• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst the short term result has been good news for Labour - when the dust settles it’s hardly been the success story that’s being made out

despite one of the worst governments in memory, they’ve barely added any votes (1% more share) Labour can count themselves very lucky that Farage declared when he did. If he had stayed in the wilderness, we’d be looking at a hung parliament.

How Starmer has managed to barely attract the electorate given what’s happened speaks volumes really.

Labour will hope Farage stays around to split the right vote, but when he goes, Labour are back to being the opposition.

Thing is, Reform bring more balance to the voter share. The left vote has been split between two parties for ages, Labour and Lib Dem, while the Tories had the right all to themselves. Now they have to split the vote too. As much as I hate Reform, these are essentially Tory voters anyway. Now we have two significant parties on each side of the political divide, and that’s good news for having a more left leaning government in power.

I dislike this line of thinking. Not everyone is tribal and you shouldn’t be able to say time for “change”, we’re going to do everything the old lot did.

"Everything" :nervous: Crap like that is a huge issue.

Thing is, Reform bring more balance to the voter share. The left vote has been split between two parties for ages, Labour and Lib Dem, while the Tories had the right all to themselves. Now they have to split the vote too. As much as I hate Reform, these are essentially Tory voters anyway. Now we have two significant parties on each side of the political divide, and that’s good news for having a more left leaning government in power.

It's only good news until they do a deal at the next election. The good news will be when the auld cnuts stop voting for either party as they're almost all scumbags.

Whilst the short term result has been good news for Labour - when the dust settles it’s hardly been the success story that’s being made out

despite one of the worst governments in memory, they’ve barely added any votes (1% more share) Labour can count themselves very lucky that Farage declared when he did. If he had stayed in the wilderness, we’d be looking at a hung parliament.

How Starmer has managed to barely attract the electorate given what’s happened speaks volumes really.

Labour will hope Farage stays around to split the right vote, but when he goes, Labour are back to being the opposition.
170 seat majority and this is a really bad take!

Look, we don't know why labours vote share is at that (very efficient) level yet but my guess is it is down to tactical voting.

The reform vote does not break 100% to the Tories and farage also puts off the sort of moderate Tories they need to win. If he leads the Tories, they may get more.votes than now, but with a ceiling.

It's clearly a ploy by Farage.

He knew that standing against the Tories in 2019 would result in the vote being split and Labour winning, so he stood candidates down.

Now, with Brexit gone though and Tory defeat obvious and unavoidable, he stands Reform against them. At the next election, having proven his point, they'll be a united right-wing party.

Look, we don't know why labours vote share is at that (very efficient) level yet but my guess is it is down to tactical voting.

Like i said, short term very good result. But having barely moved in the % since Corbyn - Starmer hasn’t attracted anyone new to the party, he’s had an open goal and fumbled it in with a miss kick - this is a case of the tories losing the election and Labour staying where they are

The Greens weren’t even getting the coverage while they had more MPs and Councillors before the election. The media has helped propel Reform to what they are. They will now keep on doing it.

Because sadly, in a FPTP system, smaller parties are only relevant for the media in so far as how they can impact the larger parties.

Farage and Reform (and previously UKIP) showed the ability to shape both policy (Brexit, boats) and elections (standing down in 2019). You have senior tories talking seriously about merging with reform and bringing farage in.

The Greens, despite incremental and impressive gains (in the context of FPTP) are yet to show any similar ability sadly.

Reform is 2nd in 98 seats, and we have more marginals now than at any point since WW2. With Labour's vote share around 34-35%, for me that makes the next five years incredibly consequential. There is little to no margin for error.

Have you ever considered a career in the PR department at the Labour Party?

BBC: It looks as though the Conservatives and Labour Party between them will win less than 60% of all votes cast.

That would be the lowest proportion in any election since 1923, when Labour became the primary opposition.

Like i said, short term very good result. But having barely moved in the % since Corbyn - Starmer hasn’t attracted anyone new to the party, he’s had an open goal and fumbled it in with a miss kick - this is a case of the tories losing the election and Labour staying where they are
I think it's wrong to say he hasn't attracted anyone new to the party, however his gamble was obviously that the gains from the centre/right of traditional Labour voters would greatly offset the number of losses from those on the left. It's not worked at all.

He has though. He has attracted the tory switchers he needed, admittedly at the expense of some core voters he did not (who have likely gone green). In terms of winning power in our system, that is a good trade.

Because sadly, in a FPTP system, smaller parties are only relevant for the media in so far as how they can impact the larger parties.

Farage and Reform (and previously UKIP) showed the ability to shape both policy (Brexit, boats) and elections (standing down in 2019). You have senior tories talking seriously about merging with reform and bringing farage in.

The Greens, despite incremental and impressive gains (in the context of FPTP) are yet to show any similar ability sadly.

At least we already know the outcome of the GE with the FPTP voting system, instead of potentially weeks of scrabbling around trying to put together an alliance for government like in some other countries. And that is fine by me.

Liz Truss lost her seat, I've heard.

Time for to move overseas and become a full-time grifter at Newsmax or something.

You keep saying this but it’ll last 5 minutes before the Tories absorb Reform and they have a single voting choice again.

I dislike this line of thinking. The last 14 years have been abysmal, yeah labour are uninspiring but surely getting rid of the Tory's should be more than enough motivation for people to go and vote.

Seems mad to me that people would ever choose to not vote, but especially now.

What is encouraging people to vote FOR Labour?

Asking people to vote against something is a bollocks approach. Especially when the thing they’re being asked to vote for isn’t all that different in terms of policy.

I think it's wrong to say he hasn't attracted anyone new to the party, however his gamble was obviously that the gains from the centre/right of traditional Labour voters would greatly offset the number of losses from those on the left. It's not worked at all.

Ummm have you seen the result?

It's looking like a 1997 result, off of the back of the 2019 result when Labour were a tarnished brand when he took over. Obviously the Tories self-immolated with Johnson and Truss but he had to steer the ship into being a viable choice for middle England

Asking people to vote against something is a bollocks approach. Especially when the thing they’re being asked to vote for isn’t all that different in terms of policy.
Stopping to mutilate yourself helps even if it doesn't fix any damage previously done.

there are greens, lib dems, independents. one candidate will at least have some of your major issues as their major issues. you just have to vote for them. it’s happened a lot this time around, smaller parties have never had so many votes, which shows how pathetic both major parties are as prospects for the country. not voting in a binary system is the same as voting in one. if you don’t like it, do something about it with your vote.

You keep saying this but it’ll last 5 minutes before the Tories absorb Reform and they have a single voting choice again.

You don’t think that with an ego the size of Farage’s that he’ll want another run at it at the next election to see how many more seats Reform can win? I can see Reform going even further right after this success and it making it hard to merge the two parties.

But I could be very wrong.

For now I’ll just enjoy the epic hosing the Tory cnuts just received.

All that effort and lurching to the right including have a Brexit referendum which screwed us all over to stop Farage and the Tories from splitting and yet it’s happened anyway which meant we had to endure and suffer from Brexit. Feckin Tories.

Yep! Now it’s effecting the right wing suddenly a conversation around PR will happen.

Farage and Reform haven’t shown anything apart from shouting loudly and stating policies which were neither costed nor they were ever going to implement. All Farage the con man did was exploit migration for his own gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.