• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The downside of the Tories being annihilated tonight is that Farage will take over the party and have a real shot at becoming PM in 10 years.

What are the chances of a hung parliament for Labour, and they need to ask reform to make the numbers up? We could end up with Nigel Farage as deputy pm.
Impossible. They would speak to LD and Greens first.

What are the chances of a hung parliament for Labour, and they need to ask reform to make the numbers up? We could end up with Nigel Farage as deputy pm.
If you bet a tenner on this outcome you could buy out the Glazers

The downside of the Tories being annihilated tonight is that Farage will take over the party and have a real shot at becoming PM in 10 years.
Depends how well his party does. Ideally not too many seats.

Labour winning the highest majority in basically forever while running in a centrist framework, will ideally push Tories to the center too considering that is where the majority of voters stand.

Impossible. They would speak to LD and Greens first.
Wouldn’t the Greens be irrelevant with their 2-3 seats? Obviously, Labour will go with Lib Dems in such a hypothetical (but extremely unlikely) scenario.

What help is available to former MPs?

The taxpayer-funded Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) – which governs MPs’ expenses – supports those candidates who have lost their seat.

Winding-down payments are designed to help departing MPs close their office and manage the departure of staff. They have up to four months to carry out the necessary tasks.

How much financial support is there?

Former MPs are entitled to receive a one-off winding-up payment to help them close down their parliamentary affairs. This is the equivalent of four months of their salary, minus tax and national insurance contributions.

The basic annual salary for an MP is £91,346. The government’s tax calculator estimates this would mean take-home pay is £63,541.68 – which would suggest four months of salary is about £21,000.

Former MPs are also able to claim for certain costs during the winding-up period, including office rent.

What is the loss of office payment?

A candidate who loses their seat or stands unsuccessfully in a different seat could also be eligible to receive a loss of office payment. It is similar to a redundancy payment and is equal to double the statutory redundancy entitlement.

It will therefore vary by individual as it takes into account age as well as length of service. Ipsa guidelines state a former MP will be eligible for such a payment if they held office for a continuous period of at least two years at the point they lost their seat.

And what about ministers who lose their jobs in government as a result of the election result?

Regardless of whether an outgoing minister remains an MP or not, they are entitled to receive severance pay, as outlined in 1991 legislation. This is separate from winding-up payments and loss of office entitlement.

The severance pay amounts to 25% of the annual ministerial salary they were being paid.

When should I be turning on BBC? I see they have a live stream that I can access from Norway on their site.
The exit poll will be around 10 pm BST so you could tune in for that results don't start coming in until the early hours of the morning, about 02:00 BST

The exit poll will be around 10 pm BST so you could tune in for that results don't start coming in until the early hours of the morning, about 02:00 BST
Isn't there somewhere that always tries to get their result in first really early after the polls shut. Somewhere like Billericay or something?

Apparently redistricting means Ashton and Blythe Blythe and Ashington might declare first this year.

I still remember the euphoria of '97. This time more than anything I just feel relief that we can get rid of this wretched, wretched government. Worst I have seen by some distance, though it seems the logical conclusion of Thatcherism.

Why did they do it. Just curious. We have been Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council for years. Now we are Furness and Westmorland Council.
It's an attempt to even out the numbers of voters in each constituency as the population changes

@Sassy Colin you do realise you're not allowed to vote in the poll with your burner account as well.

No labour or lib Dem?

Labour were 2nd just behind greens, lib dems a little further back around 60%

Mines a proper mixed bag. 75% Labour, 73% Lib Dem, 70% Volt UK (who the feck are they?), 66% Tory :o

Also, annoying there's a minimum voting age question but not a maximum.

Yeah, even if you go through all the questions when it asks for more there still isn't a maximum. But that's probably to do with no party having it as a policy, I'm guessing?

Also, the results do get more accurate if you answer all the questions, rather than just the initial ones it gives you.

Wouldn’t the Greens be irrelevant with their 2-3 seats? Obviously, Labour will go with Lib Dems in such a hypothetical (but extremely unlikely) scenario.
The point is that Labour would have to go to Lib Dems first, and the Lib Dems wouldn’t entertain them sharing a coalition with Reform so it would then be the Greens, at which point there is no chance of bringing Reform into a coalition and the entire question becomes moot.

I still remember the euphoria of '97. This time more than anything I just feel relief that we can get rid of this wretched, wretched government. Worst I have seen by some distance, though it seems the logical conclusion of Thatcherism.
Yeah. Was just saying this today. There was a feeling of hope. I don't feel that way right now.

Why did they do it. Just curious. We have been Barrow-in-Furness Borough Council for years. Now we are Furness and Westmorland Council.
It happens every 10 years after the census to ensure all constituencies have the same number of electors. It isn't perfect and there are some exceptions (e.g. the Isle of Wight), but it cannot favour a party by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.