• UK resident but not voting

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Spoiled my ballot

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for the freeports. This will be an utterly mental episode of disaster.
I've met with policy teams up here in Scotland that are having to act fast to replicate because any disparity would kill imports north of the border. Despite the fact everyone knows it's wank.

Did you read that thread link I posted for you? It's some of my best work, I feel.
Your best work was when you disappeared for a couple of years and the entire mood of the forum lifted.

I've met with policy teams up here in Scotland that are having to act fast to replicate because any disparity would kill imports north of the border. Despite the fact everyone knows it's wank.

If they continue with this crazy policy it's going to be hell for imports, exports, workers rights , investment elsewhere. It's probably one of the worst policies currently.

It still blows my mind that people in boats is still the main talking point when public services is on its knees.

You'd have thought after COVID that the NHS would be the main talking point. But no. The plebs want to continue to talk about immigration the fecking planks.

The plebs are not leading that discussion in any country.

If they continue with this crazy policy it's going to be hell for imports, exports, workers rights , investment elsewhere. It's probably one of the worst policies currently.
Thank Brexit and Neoliberalism. Also it's too far down the line to change course much. Not that Labour would anyway.

Yes. But this will do considerable damage to the UK. Amateurs running the show.

In the case of freeports, they aren't so much running the show, as handing it over to some of the most corrupt companies in the world.

The end game is for these places to have seperate legal responsibilities to the country, where things like employment rights are controlled not by goivernment, but by the owners of the freeport.

And its not just the port part, the one proposed on the south coast stretches across half of devon and dorset.

In the case of freeports, they aren't so much running the show, as handing it over to some of the most corrupt companies in the world.

The end game is for these places to have seperate legal responsibilities to the country, where things like employment rights are controlled not by goivernment, but by the owners of the freeport.

And its not just the port part, the one proposed on the south coast stretches across half of devon and dorset.

Yes. Agreed.

Which in turn means imports into the country will have to pass through these legal separated areas and exports will be non-viable for anything produced in these areas as they will be having unfair advantages regarding rights, tax, wages etc and won't be able to sell anything other than to corrupt nations.

And goods produced to be sold in the rest of the UK within these areas will have to be taxed on entry as they will have unfair advantages over goods produced in the rest of the UK.

This would be even worse than Brexit itself. Truly insane policy.

This would be even worse than Brexit itself. Truly insane policy.

Insane for some, not for others. I'e had a bit of experience of free trade zones in the US, and its a license to con people. Over there, the 'made on America' tag is exploited by businesses who use these places. They have soenthing like a leather bag made for them in Singapore or wherever, then imported into the port zone where they have a warehouse.
Then, in the warehouse, before anything leaves the port zone, they will have people fixing the handles onto the bags or making some kind of small alteration. This allows them to then legally declare the bag as 'made in America'.

Suddenly, a $10 bag becomes a $50 bag. Expect to see that here soon enough.

Last edited:
I was looking at the stats from here:

UK Population:
2000: 58,850,043
2010: 62,760,039

Increase = 6.64%

2010: 62,760,039
2020: 67,059,474

Increase = 6.85%

Fair enough, using these figures, I should have rounded up to 7%, but the difference between the two figures isn't enough to cause the catastrophic destruction of our public services under the Tories.

Been posted some pages back but we have grown public service investment at a similar rate to European peers but our population has grown significantly more quickly. That's why the public services have suffered. It's not immigration or underinvestment in isolation.

I’m removed myself from the political circus news stream this past 6 months or so outside the odd bit here or there. Are we still looking likely for a Labour landslide here?

When should I be turning on BBC? I see they have a live stream that I can access from Norway on their site.

Polls close at 10pm UK time (BST), won't be anything worth watching until then, they are not allowed to discuss actual votes while people can still vote. The exit polls normally come just after voting ends.

This would be even worse than Brexit itself.

;) No, surely Paul, nothing can be that bad, you have been telling us for ages, Brexit is the abyss the end of the world (trading world that is!), now you are saying there is something worse than the abyss it's called FREE PORT ! :lol:

Tory obliteration but the rise of Reform then?
One of the benefits of FPTP is that it makes it very difficult for Reform to gain many seats.

Or at least that’s what people are optimistically saying.

When should I be turning on BBC? I see they have a live stream that I can access from Norway on their site.

Exit polls are announced at 10pm UK time, that's the biggest indicator, a few early seats will come in between 10 and 1am so snooze then, then from 2-6am is t when all the results start piling in

In vote share reform is probably going to be close to the lib dems. In seats, they are probably going to be somewhere close to the greens.

But with farage in parliament, the media will platform him even more, and I sispect that it is the next election where that problem will turn into something dangerous.

Hopefully no more than a handful of seats, so they have bugger all power but just enough rope to hang themselves with courtesy of their natural instinct to get in front of a camera and say racist things.

Good people of Britain: happy election day. Democracy in action, beautiful stuff.

And remember, your job now is to stand by your Prime Minister.

Status
Not open for further replies.