Gary Neville

He’s insufferable during Utd games, says a lot when you constantly find yourself agreeing with Jamie Carragher when it comes to Utd.
Basically.
Was throwing a strop today during commentary when Carragher was mocking him for previous comments. He spent the first Monday night football confidentially claiming United would finish above Liverpool cos of Klopp. And that Uniteds midfield is better than Liverpools but there’s performs better cos of Klopp. And seemed to be surprised Carragher came with receipts during the game. Stop predicting stupid nonsensical baseless shit and maybe you won’t get ribbed

Who comes in if that happens ? United couldn'y find a better fit in 4 months, what are they going to do now in the middle of the season ? Potter ?
Next games should be easy enough, i think he will last until January.

Tuchel or Southgate.

For this Man. United playing Palace away is not easy at all and then it's Spurs at home and Villa away.

Basically.
Was throwing a strop today during commentary when Carragher was mocking him for previous comments. He spent the first Monday night football confidentially claiming United would finish above Liverpool cos of Klopp. And that Uniteds midfield is better than Liverpools but there’s performs better cos of Klopp. And seemed to be surprised Carragher came with receipts during the game. Stop predicting stupid nonsensical baseless shit and maybe you won’t get ribbed
This is a guy who confidently said we'd win the title before Liverpool. About a year before they won one having knocked on the door the year before.

This is a guy who confidently said we'd win the title before Liverpool. About a year before they won one having knocked on the door the year before.
He’s a weird one. He’s basically a top red when not in the commentary booth. Stick him in there and he becomes overly neutral. Doing that “ooooooooh” thing anytime a United player makes a tackle that’s clearly a booking and nothing more.

De Ligt's booking. Let's out a massive 'ooooooooo' and you know what he is insinuating. It was a fecking booking and nowt more, but he does it a lot with our games for tackles and coming togethers.
Oh yeah, that long "oooo" followed by a long silence. It was a bad tackle and a yellow and that was it. I guess he was hoping for some controversy.

He also sounded genuinely disappointed when Szoboszlai didn't score towards the end of the game :lol:

Oh yeah, that long "oooo" followed by a long silence. It was a bad tackle and a yellow and that was it. I guess he was hoping for some controversy.

He also sounded genuinely disappointed when Szoboszlai didn't score towards the end of the game :lol:
It's pathetic and looking for something controversial like you say.

I love Gary but so much of what he does during and after our games does really annoy me.

The "oooo" was typical Neville, he loves looking for something that isn't there and making a meal out of it. Fortunately, he just left it at "oooo" this time.

Disagree with the second bit, he was fuming because Szobo was taking the piss thinking he was Zidane or something, not because he didn't score, and he was right to call it out. Bro is nowhere near good enough to be doing that.

I blame Fergie for putting this arrogant fool on a pedestal. Should've booted him out around 2008 when it was obvious that injuries were catching up with him and that he had become irrelevant. Between 08-11 we reached 3 out of 4 CL finals. He played next to no role in those campaigns. The one season we got knocked out early he was a mainstay at RB.

He loves rewriting history and pretending that he left the game before the game left him but the game had left him stranded several years before. He lived off the 06/07 season until he retired as a broken man ages later. I think Fergie finally came to his senses and told him he was going to be left out of the CL squad which left him with no choice but to retire if he had any self-respect. Quite different than the version he wants the world to believe.

By overstaying his welcome for so long it also meant we never got a proper replacement in because he was always occupying a place in the squad. By the time he retired, Brown and O'Shea were aging and also on their way out the door, while the twins were far too inexperienced. That position has been a mess ever since with CBs (Smalling, Jones) and wingers (Valencia, Young) being used regularly. All could've been avoided if Neville was binned around 2008/09 for a proper RB.

Love him on Overlap: humble, lucid and self depreciating. As a pundit on Utd he is the exact opposite. He talks too much and is too narrow minded. He has compromised himself by not wanting to criticise Ineos given his involvement in the new stadium.

He either isn’t smart enough to understand that he has compromised himself again (did so when Ole was manager and failed to criticise him whereas he was happy to slaughter RR very quickly) and he simply isn’t used to be called out so directly as Carra did yesterday since Souness left. Yesterday he sounded like a politician when defending ETH getting to Xmas. It is a terrible look for him as he has zero self awareness.

Whether we like it or not, Ineos ultimately caved in to fan pressure and kept ETH in part to have a ‘useful idiot’ if team performances didn’t match expectations. Never has a manager been backed as heavily as ETH has and he simply refuses to accept any responsibility for when things go wrong and as a result is becoming a figure of fun and mockery as PM Truss did. The tactical mistakes ETH is making are so basic yet he seems to be too stubborn to admit and address them. Any half decent coach would have Utd much harder to beat.

I blame Fergie for putting this arrogant fool on a pedestal. Should've booted him out around 2008 when it was obvious that injuries were catching up with him and that he had become irrelevant. Between 08-11 we reached 3 out of 4 CL finals. He played next to no role in those campaigns. The one season we got knocked out early he was a mainstay at RB.

He loves rewriting history and pretending that he left the game before the game left him but the game had left him stranded several years before. He lived off the 06/07 season until he retired as a broken man ages later. I think Fergie finally came to his senses and told him he was going to be left out of the CL squad which left him with no choice but to retire if he had any self-respect. Quite different than the version he wants the world to believe.

By overstaying his welcome for so long it also meant we never got a proper replacement in because he was always occupying a place in the squad. By the time he retired, Brown and O'Shea were aging and also on their way out the door, while the twins were far too inexperienced. That position has been a mess ever since with CBs (Smalling, Jones) and wingers (Valencia, Young) being used regularly. All could've been avoided if Neville was binned around 2008/09 for a proper RB.
Christ. If there’s one player that personified united at their height it’s Neville. I hated him more than any other united player but respected him more than any other player. Teams are lucky to have players like him come up through the ranks. You can tell he bleeds united with every letdown in the last decade so I could never understand the disdain from united supporters. Yes he might go out of his way to look unbiased in his commentary but any true supporters know these losses kill him.

What a load of shite.

It's ridiculous that so many have convinced themselves that there's virtue in - or TopRed points available for - insisting in perservering with a failing manager. If Ten Hag got us relegated 4 times and we were sat bottom of the conference league, Neville would still be falling short of calling for him to go because of fears it's not the 'United way'

:lol:

He is compromised in so many ways. Doesn’t criticize England players he worked with, doesn’t criticize managers, doesn’t criticize City etc…

He is more worried about his investments than his punditry and that makes him useless as a pundit. The conversation with Carragher was tiresome yesterday. He ties himself in knots with ludicrous arguments and you can sense carragher is baffled and frustrated even though he is a friend.

He talks absolute nonsense and loves the sound of his own voice. He has his fingers in too many pies and that means he can’t just give an opinion.

Wow. I'm not a Neville fan at all, but that is a bunch of nonsense.

What's more annoying with Neville is he dichotomy of his behaviour. When watching United games, he's almost repulsed at what he sees. At the same time, he still talks about how much money has been spent constantly despite how bad the football being witnessed on the pitch is. Yet whenever he's faced with a question on whether to sack the manager, he always folds. He doesn't seem to understand that because United is a hard job, doesn't mean you can accept a rubbish manager.

We seem to be the only team in the world that actually follows this idea of giving managers time, and we've always struggled as a result. We're constantly throwing seasons away, yet acting like we aren't giving managers time. Moyes was horrible in his season here. An ambitious club would have sacked him in November, as there was still a chance to get back in the race for top 4 or even the title and compete in Europe. Instead, we kept him until April, destroying any chance of recovering the season. Then we had LVG. We allowed him to waste his first few months destroying the squad and employing a 352 formation that wasn't working. He kept at this till the end of December 2014. He then had a 433 that marginally worked, scrapped it, went on to destroy our squads for another summer, and adopt one of the most boring 4231's you will ever see. By December, after already being kicked out of Europe, it was clear his time was up. We had a chance to be rid of him and maybe secure top 4, but instead, we persisted with him providing terrible football until the end of the season. We then had Mourinho, who truly wasn't supported the way he should have been. However, he started 2018/2019 horribly and it was obvious that he wanted the sack. It took us until December to make that decision, again completely destroying our League campaign. We persisted with Ole, even though it was clear he was a bit of a novice, and instead of relieving him at the end of 18/19, used sentiment to give him a full time contract when other managers were available. At the time, we knew Ole did not have the experience or tactical nous to compete with Pep and Klopp, but kept him on. Now we're here with Ten Hag. He had the worst season I've seen a big club have in recent memory, yet because he won the FA Cup, fan sentiment kept him on.

All of this shows that at United, managers have always been kept on far longer than they should have been. Yet the media narrative drawn by people like Neville has always been to give managers time, whilst not having the same line of thinking about other clubs. There is always this need to make sacking look dirty when its United, yet permissable for other clubs. This is what makes his discussions on United so annoying. It's clear he doesn't enjoy the football or think Ten Hag is good enough. Yet is holding the club to a standard of giving him time out of some weird sense of respect rather than the actual good of the club.

What a bag of shite.

It genuinely pisses me off how he’s created this narrative of how he was an average player who had the career he did due to luck and a bit of graft.
He was a fantastic defender and IMO the best right back the premier league has ever seen.
Probably because he played with genuine superstars who were absolute class.
Stood next to carragher he knows who he’s played with and what he’s won, he’s probably happy with carragher being a gob shite next to him and doesn’t need to justify anything

Cracking right back. Possibly the best the Premier League has seen.

If my memory serves me well, in the 90s on the few occasions he played CB, he filled in quite well. He seemed to play there quite a lot from 2000-2002 and he wasn't great.

He played there a few times towards the end of his career. I remember one game vs Villa (the Macheda game) he was constantly getting bullied by Carew.

So probably not built to be a CB but he was better served at RB. Intelligent, got forward a lot, had a fantastic cross on him, great chemistry with Beckham and adapted his game when Ronaldo came. Great professional and United through and through