Gary Neville

+
Great as a pundit, brilliant in the studio, excellent on the podcast, horrendous on United match comms. Weird.
100%. Co-comms really does feels like an area where Sky have failed to evolve/innovate. Souness was stood down from post match analysis yet Alan Smith did the co-comms for the game last night! Andy Gray’s knowledge and passion has never been properly replaced.

It’s hilarious how everything he says triggers fans of one club or the other, there are a lot of decent teams in the league and so whoever he doesn’t pick in his predictions feels that he is biased against them. Liverpool situation is very strange this season, GNev is banking on the fact that Slot isn’t a world beater. If Slot is really good then Nev will end with egg on his face but that’s kind of normal for predictions

I am triggered because unlike Carragher he will happily put the boot to team he "supports" just to make himself look unbiased

To be fair this might be as much as not rating Liverpool's midfield either.

But having said that he does overrate United's midfield a lot.

I posted this in the Overlap thread.

In the latest overlap episode he basically advocated for us to switch to a 442 diamond or something just so we can fit Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount and Bruno in the same team, with 2 strikers up front. With absolutely no thought as to where that leaves Garnacho. Or Amad. Or whether it would actually benefit the team having absolutely no width in the side.

Carragher was baffled listening to him.

This was similar to England in the summer where Neville was insistent that Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden has to play even if it meant putting Foden wide left where he either had zero effect on the game or drifted away and rendered our left side non-existent. He's completely unwilling to ever see a player benched for the balance of a team and is obsessed with trying to fit as many stars into the same 11 as possible.
The bold bit is so true. I'd often listen to some of his head-scratching takes and wonder how he's so confident in the tripe he says.

He's basically a moron down the pub that comes up with weird narratives and believes them like gospel, has had some media training and can express himself half decently, and has a national platform. He takes himself way too seriously.

Carragher is just as bad. He has a bit more historical knowledge of football but he's too biased to be interesting.

You can see Gary is too busy with all is projects to do any research now so his punditry has dropped in quality loads. Just speaks in cliches, clearly doesn't get to watch as much football as before. Carragher often has the better of him now.

You can see Gary is too busy with all is projects to do any research now so his punditry has dropped in quality loads. Just speaks in cliches, clearly doesn't get to watch as much football as before. Carragher often has the better of him now.
Either that or the bloke who was feeding him lines through his earpiece isn't at Sky anymore.

Agree.

Whenever he speaks about a club he'll say something like "you know I watched them at the Emirates earlier in the season and..." because he did commentary on that game, but it seems quite likely to me that he's referring to that game because it's literally the last time he watched them, he's not bothered to watch any of their games since.

Man United's official podcast did an interview with Gary Neville in May, and he's very insightful on the allegations he's too hard on United.

Basically said coming from how he was brought up in the club he finds it hard to to judge them by the standards of a team going for top 4. He said WHEN we are back on top you'll see the difference. Also says go back to 2013 when he was on the pitch interviewing the players when we won the league. In short he says to him United are the top club in England and any less than that he cant hold back on criticisms. Its the same with Keane. They'd be working for MUTV if they were yes men.

He also said go back and look at Carragher when they bottled the league in 2014. He was fuming and critical of Rodgers and the Liverpool side. Nev said its easy to be a homer when you play like Klopp has since 2017.

Im
Surprised he picked us to finish 3rd
He has been stupid in picking his picks in the past and Carra has been usually more accurate.

My top 4 this year: Arsenal, City, United and Pool.

I don't think spurs will get in and I don't think Chelsea will either. Villas will be impacted by CL football.

Man United's official podcast did an interview with Gary Neville in May, and he's very insightful on the allegations he's too hard on United.

Basically said coming from how he was brought up in the club he finds it hard to to judge them by the standards of a team going for top 4. He said WHEN we are back on top you'll see the difference. Also says go back to 2013 when he was on the pitch interviewing the players when we won the league. In short he says to him United are the top club in England and any less than that he cant hold back on criticisms. Its the same with Keane. They'd be working for MUTV if they were yes men.

He also said go back and look at Carragher when they bottled the league in 2014. He was fuming and critical of Rodgers and the Liverpool side. Nev said its easy to be a homer when you play like Klopp has since 2017.
If he's insightful and aware of it, it's even more damning to be honest.

The Caf is a collection of individuals, none of which (as far as I know) are paid to perform a job where they have a national platform and where they're held to certain standards. The parallel with Neville is non-existent.
This is a willfully daft thing to say. Neville loves the club, slags the club off. This site is full of people who love the club, yet slag the club off. It’s just undeniable. To say it’s non-existent is silly, I’ve spelled the parallel out for you.

To pretend there is standards in football punditry is even more daft! And yet Neville is still one of the better ones, which is a bit scary.

This is a willfully daft thing to say. Neville loves the club, slags the club off. This site is full of people who love the club, yet slag the club off. It’s just undeniable. To say it’s non-existent is silly, I’ve spelled the parallel out for you.

To pretend there is standards in football punditry is even more daft! And yet Neville is still one of the better ones, which is a bit scary.
There are some pundits and journalists who work with standards and ethics.

As for your parallel, I maintain it's a ridiculous one to make. He's bad for a variety of reasons, his bias with regards to Utd (in a negative way) being one of them.

I just will always laugh at people getting annoyed at his negativity and spewing venom at the Bloke in one thread, then moving to another to do the exact same thing.

Since his own and (rather more importantly) SAF's retirement the club surely has deserved plenty of slagging off though!? Be it by us or by former players...

I find him tedious to listen to for long periods but I generally think he is more hit than miss when talking about united (discount the Ole time maybe).

I was listening to him and Carragher after MNF and wasn't really impressed with him.

Tottenham drew their match and he kind of just casually took them out of his top 4 prediction. Bizarrely, he put Chelsea in and then also couldn't explain it. Then he was asked why Liverpool won't get in and his answer was a bit half-arsed.

He often does seem to make bold predictions and then not be able to properly elaborate on his thought process, like his predictions and bold statements come before he decides how he can justify them.

Still love him though. Always will.

I was listening to him and Carragher after MNF and wasn't really impressed with him.

Tottenham drew their match and he kind of just casually took them out of his top 4 prediction. Bizarrely, he put Chelsea in and then also couldn't explain it. Then he was asked why Liverpool won't get in and his answer was a bit half-arsed.

He often does seem to make bold predictions and then not be able to properly elaborate on his thought process, like his predictions and bold statements come before he decides how he can justify them.

That whole segment was appalling honestly. Carragher and his disappearing Newcastle side for example. To be fair predictions being so deeply analyzed feels oddly pointless. It’s just educated guesswork.

That prediction segment was horrible. Gary looked confused and Carra was bombastic without being convincing.

Gary is so docile too in these exchanges. Carra would go, "....but you tell me every season that United would finish above Liverpool", and Gary wouldn't reply back. When in fact for the entirety of Klopp's tenure they finished above us just one more time than we finished above them. It's only 5-4 in favor of Liverpool.

That prediction segment was horrible. Gary looked confused and Carra was bombastic without being convincing.

Gary is so docile too in these exchanges. Carra would go, "....but you tell me every season that United would finish above Liverpool", and Gary wouldn't reply back. When in fact for the entirety of Klopp's tenure they finished above us just one more time than we finished above them. It's only 5-4 in favor of Liverpool.
In fairness Neville probably couldn't understand what he was saying and has to wipe the spit from his eyes to see what's going on

I’ve no issue with him or any other ex-United player criticising the club or players on podcasts or during interviews.
But his constant negativity is absolutely infuriating when he’s on commentary, especially when you hear how over the top he is with praise for almost every other team.

Except it's only Gary. The other ex United pundits aren't as harsh and don't get criticised as much as Gary. To be honest it's mostly his commentating. He just shouldn't do commentary, especially not United games.
And Scholes

I find it bizarre the slagging off of Neville. I don't know a single United fan who doesn't find fault after fault in our performance when we're drawing 0-0 at HT. He's just honest? And does well to take off his rose tinted United glasses when assesing other teams. I like him.

I find it bizarre the slagging off of Neville. I don't know a single United fan who doesn't find fault after fault in our performance when we're drawing 0-0 at HT. He's just honest? And does well to take off his rose tinted United glasses when assesing other teams. I like him.

He's not a moaning fan. Well at least that's not what I expect to see/hear from a pundit/commentator.

They're supposed to be more objective than emotional involved fans ranting in the match day thread.

skysports-gary-neville-football_6129280.jpg

Now adding Arsenal to teams he waxes lyrical over

Well Arsenal have just had a bang average first half, made an impactful change, and taken Villa to task after they scored. All at a ground that’s one of the toughest away days in the season.

Why wouldn’t he blow sunshine up their skirt?