Gary Neville

Cucharella cost spain in a goal in the final...

I mean, Neville give his opinion on the player before the tourney. What's he supposed to do? Say feck all and sit on the fence.

Firstly, it's Cucurella. Put some respect on the man's name for the love of god!

Secondly, you can give your opinion as a pundit without being a dick.

He's got previous for this kinda thing, he's trying to be entertaining and ends up regretting it.

I like Gary Neville and this isn't a huge deal. I fully expect him to hold his hands up with a sheepish grin on his next podcast but he tries too hard sometimes.

Firstly, it's Cucurella. Put some respect on the man's name for the love of god!

He's got previous for this kinda thing, he's trying to be entertaining and ends up regretting it.

I like Gary Neville and this isn't a huge deal. I fully expect him to hold his hands up with a sheepish grin on his next podcast but he tries too hard sometimes.
Sure, but he's in the entertainment biz. He's there to give out opinions. I don't think what he said was personal about the lad. Of course, now he'll have to get stick back at him and take it on the chin. That's the nature of his job.

And you could see where he was coming from. Cucurella was out of position a lot. I'm sure that was on instruction, but there was an avenue there for teams to exploit.

It's not like he was talking trash about Maldini!

The booing by the german fans against Cucurella was ridiculous, though. Not his fault the ref didn't give a pen.

And I'm sad to say i could 100% see are fans doing something similar.

Cucharella cost spain in a goal in the final...

I mean, Neville give his opinion on the player before the tourney. What's he supposed to do? Say feck all and sit on the fence.

Neville can say what he wants. Cucurella can say what he wants. I felt they were super harsh comments but nothing crazy over the top. People have been tagging Cucurella I with that quote the entire tournament. I bet it felt good to politely tell him ‘ha feck off prick’.

Gary has become a caricature, An unchecked hyperbole machine and he plays the role well. It doesn’t matter much what he says or how ridiculous it sounds, as long as he makes us think he believes it.
It’s not just straight punditry anymore, it is an entertainment sideshow, and the more outrageous his take the more interaction, headlines, likes and clicks it will drive - he is competing with the likes of Goldbridge.

Exactly. That's what I dislike about sky's punditry now. It's trying to be hyperbolic for views and it just seems fake. It's why Keane is there to go on rants. Neville talks like he's challenging for the leadership of a party. Carragher is just trolling.

They seem to be trying to emulate football youtubers judging by how many pundits and reporters they let go last season, only to then add that Saturday social show.

Been watching some of his Stick To Football podcasts recently and I think he's a genuinely sound bloke who cares about United. Quite intelligent as well. Does have some flaws in his punditry but I'd much rather listen to his analysis than hear Micah Richards' cackle every 2 minutes.

Money wise maybe, to me him and Keane have lost some dignity in their roles with Sky in the past couple years, or I'm just getting tired of them. Neville by turning into a hot take machine and Keane by playing a caricature of himself.

Yes that is true, they are definitely 'playing to the gallery'... which itself has changed and is changing even more.

My old dad use to bemoan the loss of Saturday afternoon football, 3.00pm KO. We were season ticket holders (I still am) and he hated the sunday/monday, games the saturday night matches, etc. his favourite saying was "football was turning into a 3-ring circus" and we all use to laugh and say "that's progress Dad".... but now and again I start to think....maybe Dad was a visionary?
"It's football Jim... but not as we know it".... wait until the super league finally arrives, because it will.

Such as Gary Neville and Roy Keane are just auditioning for the new roles they will be playing as 'ring masters'

Everyone knows those are called a lot more often than not, hence why defenders usually don't block shots with their hands in the box.

Where are his arms suppose to be?

Where are his arms suppose to be?
At the side of his body like every other defender?

I don't care other than wanting to point out that calling the one player that could have cost Spain their run in their 7 games the weak point isn't entirely out of this world.

Couldn’t agree more. Has he ever gave such an edgy opinion about an English player? Would he dare say England can’t play Trent at right back because he is a liability, he can’t defend and he’ll end up costing them when it matters?

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gary...9o?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

"What Gareth has done in these last 8 years is remarkable. Not just on the pitch with back to back finals but also what he’s achieved off the pitch.

It’s so difficult to manage the politics that come with the England job, from the media to the fans and to the players, he’s removed a lot of barriers that existed. There was a rift between the players and the media and he helped to take that away, there used to be club vs country rivalries within squads and that’s gone, the fans and the team have been brought back together, these aren’t easy things to navigate but he’s done them.

He’s had the right qualities as a leader. He’s been calm, resilient and made difficult and sometimes brutal decisions at times that have been needed.

We didn’t quite make it over the line in tournaments, we all know that, but I’ve always believed how we should judge his time is on what we thought on day one, and if we’d have said that we would go on to do what we’ve done, people would have said it’s insanity.

He’s given England fans an amazing period. We didn’t win a trophy, but that’s nothing to be ashamed of because you’re up against other countries with great players and great ambition.

He’s created one of the most successful periods in English football history and England as a nation and our players now have a lot more respect around Europe and the world.

Thank you Gareth, you did a great job "

At the side of his body like every other defender?

I don't care other than wanting to point out that calling the one player that could have cost Spain their run in their 7 games the weak point isn't entirely out of this world.

They were at the side of his body hence the penalty wasn't given.

He was gutted when Martinez came out on top just then. He'd built the narrative and it crumbled.

He has literally no interesting in praising United in any form does he? Fulham "clearly" the better team.... sure pal. He does not commentate like this for anyone else either, with everything bad highlighted and silence for any decent passage of play, strange shit.

“United have been marginally better in the last 5/10 minutes”. Well done Gary, it might have taken you 30 minutes but managed to say something somewhat positive in the end.

He has literally no interesting in praising United in any form does he? Fulham "clearly" the better team.... sure pal. He does not commentate like this for anyone else either, with everything bad highlighted and silence for any decent passage of play, strange shit.
Yeah, this really wound me up too. Pretty even in terms of general play up to that point.

“United have been marginally better in the last 5/10 minutes”. Well done Gary, it might have taken you 30 minutes but managed to say something somewhat positive in the end.
"Fulham have dominated these first 4 minutes of the second half"

He is really starting to piss me off now. Fulham win a header "United are struggling to compete". I bet that Rashford will be pleased to hear that United have not go real pace in attack either.

'Fulham have been so good'
'It's a scuffed cross'
'He deflected it into the goal'
'Did it come off Bassey?'

That was Neville's genuine reaction to Zirkzee's goal.

Sounded gutted when we scored. Didn’t speak for twenty seconds then said that Zirkzee struggled to get into the game and questioned whether he even touched it. Insufferable prick.

I mean we were bad at times but he was a bit of a joke tonight

We’re small, we’re slow, De Ligt not even on the pitch can’t play a high line, acting like Fulham dominated the first 20, did I mention we were small?

Sounded genuinely gutted that we scored. Looking for any reason to discredit it. He doesn't deserve to have his name sung

Yeah, I don't want him on United matches. He's scathing, every single time.

He must be a caf poster.

'Fulham have been so good'
'It's a scuffed cross'
'He deflected it into the goal'
'Did it come off Bassey?'

That was Neville's genuine reaction to Zirkzee's goal.

Yeah it was very weird and I don't really think he's that bad usually.

He's a Utd legend and I know he's a fan but his commentary is insufferable.
I've mentally separated them into two entities now. Gary the player and Gary the Pundit. The player was a hero, loved him. Gary the pundit is turning into a complete muppet on our games, constantly playing up the bad sides and dampening down the good stuff. Even if it's about trying to be impartial he's taken it too far the other way. Sky really need to offer a commentaryless soundtrack at this point, it would be so much better.

Someone needs to tell him that it's OK to show some enthusiasim when we do something good on the pitch.
Carragher doesn't try his best to sound like he hates Liverpool, and I don't see many people critisising him for being too biased to their direction either.

Whenever he does a long enough interview with someone regarding United, it's bleeding obvious that he's a huge fan [as if it needed questioning].

Would have been much nicer if someone managed to explain to him that it's fine to be neutral about Utd during our games.

As someone just said, he’s fine and positive post game if United have been decent.
But in game, he’s insufferable.
Picks on every little detail to be, not quite anti United, but falling over the fence onto the ABU side.
I think it’s the many years of underperforming that has warped him, but I do hope he’s not beyond redemption

He’s a coward. He’s too scared to praise us thinking it would get highlighted. I refuse to believe that he’s genuinely gutted when we do something good. He’s just thinking about the flak from the rival fans if he decides to show his happiness. Absolute cowardice from him. Easy to see why Vieira targeted him.

As someone just said, he’s fine and positive post game if United have been decent.
But in game, he’s insufferable.
Picks on every little detail to be, not quite anti United, but falling over the fence onto the ABU side.
I think it’s the many years of underperforming that has warped him, but I do hope he’s not beyond redemption

Yeah he's grand as a pundit, if not as good as he used to be. He's horrific as a commentator.

I still think he’s the best pundit gong overall. However I also completely agree that he shouldn’t be commentating on Utd games. It’s a clear conflict of interest and one that he just can’t navigate whatsoever. Hes overly critical, quick to find faults and honestly doesn’t really appear to get any enjoyment out of our games. I get it, some people are like that watching the team they support, but that’s all the more reason to take him away from our games or at the very least leave him in the studio.