Gary Neville

As someone just said, he’s fine and positive post game if United have been decent.
But in game, he’s insufferable.
Picks on every little detail to be, not quite anti United, but falling over the fence onto the ABU side.
I think it’s the many years of underperforming that has warped him, but I do hope he’s not beyond redemption
Yeah, I think he's just a pessimistic fan compounded by years of suffering

As someone just said, he’s fine and positive post game if United have been decent.
But in game, he’s insufferable.
Picks on every little detail to be, not quite anti United, but falling over the fence onto the ABU side.
I think it’s the many years of underperforming that has warped him, but I do hope he’s not beyond redemption

It's somewhat understandable a player who is highly capped in the club's most competitive era in history decorated in accolades, witnessing a United team that in the last ten years has fallen to deplorable standards.

You could only look at the club in disdain from such a position if your holding United to it's former status.

The issue with Neville however is when the team has done well in isolation he's obtuse in being objective.

Outside of the matchday experience he's certainly well nuanced across the board and out of most pundits is always been the one who's slower to throw the manager under the bus.

Posted today that he has joined NBC for the 24/25 PL season. Must just be for Saturday games.
Atleast our American fans can get a dose of his positivity towards United

Posted today that he has joined NBC for the 24/25 PL season. Must just be for Saturday games.
Atleast our American fans can get a dose of his positivity towards United

Yeah he can stay on that channel if I keep hearing him kissing City's cheating arse constantly on Sky

It felt like he couldn’t even give United 5 mins of the new season before the negativity started. It was tiresome.

It felt like he couldn’t even give United 5 mins of the new season before the negativity started. It was tiresome.

Yeah stay on the business side of the club and get off Sky we don't need to hear your negativity

He still definitely does because of his service as a player, and unless he goes on to manage Liverpool or City, we'll keep on singing his name.

If we were to win the league, I think you'll see how genuinely happy he is.
Sir Alexander Matthew Busby played for both those teams.

I love Nev but he brings to mind a kid at high school joining in with the bullies (Carragher etc) making jokes about his own mum (United, his own playing career) so they won't beat him up.

Can someone make a girlfriend /partner analogy. It's all this thread is missing.

He was incredibly negative last night which was very annoying. If you just listened to him without watching the game you’d think Fulham played us off the park. I guarantee he’ll be fecking gushing over Liverpool and City though. It’s frustrating because whether you think he chats a load of bollocks or not he sets a narrative around the club depending on how he reacts to our games, people listen to the guy.

Weird. When I saw this thread bump I thought it would be about his nauseating salivating over Man City yesterday. Didn’t expect it to be that he was supposedly negative about us on Friday. Can’t say I noticed too much. He seemed to be patting himself on the back if anything. Spoke about how the change in structure has seen a change in transfer policy etc and how he’d gone on about it for years . Can’t see why he’d have been that positive about us either considering we weren’t that good.

Weird. When I saw this thread bump I thought it would be about his nauseating salivating over Man City yesterday. Didn’t expect it to be that he was supposedly negative about us on Friday. Can’t say I noticed too much. He seemed to be patting himself on the back if anything. Spoke about how the change in structure has seen a change in transfer policy etc and how he’d gone on about it for years . Can’t see why he’d have been that positive about us either considering we weren’t that good.

He is beyond nauseating with City and already started bigging up Slot as well which is sickening. Stop taking the Sky money and go back to just being a businessman because your views are unwatchable

He is beyond nauseating with City and already started bigging up Slot as well which is sickening. Stop taking the Sky money and go back to just being a businessman because your views are unwatchable
Yeah it’s really really nauseating. Like for their first goal he was like “it’s brilliant from city”.. a misplaced pass from Doku and mis controlled ball from Bernardo. He’s becoming tiresome on stick to football too. As someone who’s defended his punditry I’ve deffo grown tired of his “act”. Glad he’s said he won’t be doing this long term. Much prefer Carragher as a pundit.

Yeah it’s really really nauseating. Like for their first goal he was like “it’s brilliant from city”.. a misplaced pass from Doku and mis controlled ball from Bernardo. He’s becoming tiresome on stick to football too. As someone who’s defended his punditry I’ve deffo grown tired of his “act”. Glad he’s said he won’t be doing this long term. Much prefer Carragher as a pundit.

Yeah I do because he wouldn't big up Utd, knows he is a scouser through and through

What was it?
Asked him if he preferred the squad he had at Forest when they went up or the Leicester one he has now.

He handled it really well while saying respectfully twice to Neville but it isn't anything to do with him it's about his current job and players.

God, he really is a nauseating individual isn’t he? Just seen his review of the PL weekend and he’s already fawning over Liverpool as if they’re the second coming of Barca circa 2012.

Of course, he has to twist the knife in with United even though Liverpool were no less convincing at times - and played inferior opposition.

If it was a United player he’d have fecking crucified him.
Unless that United player was someone he coached for the national team. He has a track record for this with always sticking up for Kane, even when he refused to play for Spurs vs City on the opening day to force a transfer.

Apparently he said United will finish 3rd and that we have a better midfield than Liverpool right now

"He must be seeing stuff he doesn't like"

Yeah, Gary, what he's seeing is that Chelsea have signed 400 players for the left wing and he was left out of the match day squad for the first game of the season, so he's had a piss and moan about it.

Apparently he said United will finish 3rd and that we have a better midfield than Liverpool right now

Not bothered if he said that whatsoever, sick of that constant fawning over City and scousers every time he's on. Thanks for the service as a player but can't stand your views now

He's right - even though Carragher tried to dispute that. Bruno and Mainoo are better than Szoboszlai and Mac Allister. Neither of us have a good DM however we're still in talks with our main target who hasn't rejected us.

He basically said Liverpool are better than United but United will finish higher because reasons

He basically said Liverpool are better than United but United will finish higher because reasons
Well, United presumably had a better team than Everton after Ferguson left but it didn't stop Moyes finishing below them.

Both Ole and Ten Hag have finished above Klopp's Liverpool recently, and I assume Carragher wouldn't say United had a better side than Liverpool in that time period.

League position isn't just determined by first 11, but by the entire squad. And it's also determined by mood and motivation within the squad and how the players feel about the manager. We've seen through history that when the long term popular manager leaves it can cause a downturn in results when the new manager comes in.

Neville has some weird opinions, but I don't think predicting Liverpool dropping off after Klopp left is particularly weird. He's probably hoping it happens as much as he's predicting it, but it's also got a fair chance of being true.

Having said that, I have no faith in United and we're still probably 3 signings away from being confident in the side. City/Arsenal will be top 2 but I think the others all have the potential to be anywhere from 3rd-8th. Liverpool are favourites for 3rd in my book but it wouldn't be a shock if they finished outside top 4.

To be fair this might be as much as not rating Liverpool's midfield either.

But having said that he does overrate United's midfield a lot.

I posted this in the Overlap thread.

In the latest overlap episode he basically advocated for us to switch to a 442 diamond or something just so we can fit Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount and Bruno in the same team, with 2 strikers up front. With absolutely no thought as to where that leaves Garnacho. Or Amad. Or whether it would actually benefit the team having absolutely no width in the side.

Carragher was baffled listening to him.

This was similar to England in the summer where Neville was insistent that Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden has to play even if it meant putting Foden wide left where he either had zero effect on the game or drifted away and rendered our left side non-existent. He's completely unwilling to ever see a player benched for the balance of a team and is obsessed with trying to fit as many stars into the same 11 as possible.

It’s hilarious how everything he says triggers fans of one club or the other, there are a lot of decent teams in the league and so whoever he doesn’t pick in his predictions feels that he is biased against them. Liverpool situation is very strange this season, GNev is banking on the fact that Slot isn’t a world beater. If Slot is really good then Nev will end with egg on his face but that’s kind of normal for predictions

Well, United presumably had a better team than Everton after Ferguson left but it didn't stop Moyes finishing below them.

Both Ole and Ten Hag have finished above Klopp's Liverpool recently, and I assume Carragher wouldn't say United had a better side than Liverpool in that time period.

League position isn't just determined by first 11, but by the entire squad. And it's also determined by mood and motivation within the squad and how the players feel about the manager. We've seen through history that when the long term popular manager leaves it can cause a downturn in results when the new manager comes in.

Neville has some weird opinions, but I don't think predicting Liverpool dropping off after Klopp left is particularly weird. He's probably hoping it happens as much as he's predicting it, but it's also got a fair chance of being true.

Having said that, I have no faith in United and we're still probably 3 signings away from being confident in the side. City/Arsenal will be top 2 but I think the others all have the potential to be anywhere from 3rd-8th. Liverpool are favourites for 3rd in my book but it wouldn't be a shock if they finished outside top 4.

Which 3 positions do we still need to address (let's say we get deal done for Ugarte)