French National Elections

As I said a week ago, RN has some ceiling in France. I talked about 1/3 or so of the vote. According to BFMTV, the maximum number of seats for them will be 150/577, roughly 1/4. Lower than I even expected.

In Presidential elections, RN can get 40%, of course, because the second round is 1 on 1. Can RN get 50.1% in 2027? Possible, but not very likely.

Last edited:
The crazy thing about this is that while people don't realise it yet, Ensemble won. Both RN( with LR) and NFP are made of people that have very different political ideas and don't like each others. They won't be together in 2025. Also the country is now literally ungovernable.

Ensemble may have won but most of their reforms will now be ditched

History is calling again

maxresdefault.jpg

Will anyone be able to govern with such a split though?
No and no one will fancy the job in such a divided setup. Though Mélenchon says the left will take a crack at it if the results hold true.

Ensemble or even the old (the chunk that didn't do a deal with Le Pen) centre right party Les Republicains will probably try doing the voice of reason thing. It'll be interesting what Macron comes up with

No and no one will fancy the job in such a divided setup. Though Mélenchon says the left will take a crack at it if the results hold true.

Ensemble or even the old (the chunk that didn't do a deal with Le Pen) centre right party Les Republicains will probably try doing the voice of reason thing. It'll be interesting what Macron comes up with

Mélenchon just wants to be PM. nothing else matters.

The crazy thing about this is that while people don't realise it yet, Ensemble won. Both RN( with LR) and NFP are made of people that have very different political ideas and don't like each others. They won't be together in 2025. Also the country is now literally ungovernable.
JLM wants to be prime minister. Macron can give him that job.

To me, France won today, and the French will manage the situation until 2027 well enough.

Jordan Bardilla is like a cry baby, complaining about the results. People voted, and these are the votes.

Ici, c’est la France, pas la Russie.

Macron the absolute goat once again, I wonder where are all the gullible idiots who were certain RN wins this :lol:. Third largest party :lol:

Macron the absolute goat once again, I wonder where are all the gullible idiots who were certain RN wins this :lol:. Third largest party :lol:
Some thought that RN will have absolute majority. I don’t know if those people were even looking at numbers or not.

Ensemble may have won but most of their reforms will now be ditched

Not really. There isn't actually any reform to ditch, the only "consequence" is that the parliament couldn't pass anything before these elections and they still won't.

Jordan Bardilla is like a cry baby, complaining about the results. People voted, and these are the votes.

Ici, c’est la France, pas la Russie.

But we won the first round!

JLM wants to be prime minister. Macron can give him that job.

To me, France won today, and the French will manage the situation until 2027 well enough.

That's a poisoned chalice for whoever get it. :lol:

Is it great? It just kicks the can further down the road.

I would rather a situation in Austria where the far right get into power, show the country what inept buffoons they are and are exorcised quickly.

Is it great? It just kicks the can further down the road.

I would rather a situation in Austria where the far right get into power, show the country what inept buffoons they are and are exorcised quickly.

I don't want to see the Far Right get into power in any country.

Brilliant!

A week ago I was starting to panic about where the world was going but hopefully this means that we can keep trundling along for a few more years before the inevitable extinction of our species.

Brilliant!

A week ago I was starting to panic about where the world was going but hopefully this means that we can keep trundling along for a few more years before the inevitable extinction of our species.

If your species keep shitting in front of my bedroom window, you won't have few years.

Well, that was a flash in the pan! If Macron can now get the coalition he wants then he's done pretty damn well from such a dire situation.

If your species keep shitting in front of my bedroom window, you won't have few years.
We prefer "Scotsman" if you don't mind, and you don't seem to appreciate how difficult it is climbing up seven floors wearing full battle dress.

Those who have followed this more closely/know more about the French system, what happens next? Presumably negotiations between parties to reach the number of seats with Macron's party playing kingmaker?

Whilst the tactical voting method has worked to keep National Front out (phew!), I imagine there will be many feeling aggrieved at what they inevitably end up with?

I don't want to see the Far Right get into power in any country.

They definitely will get into power in more and more countries.

Only a UBI system will prevent this but you don't see politicians talking about it.

If the people running the countries want to keep forcing people into shitty paid jobs to be able to make it to month's end, the writing is on the wall.