French National Elections

There was nothing "brilliant" about this at all, or about anything Macron has done in ages. Ridiculous to present it otherwise?

I'm sorry, but what? The far right is getting stronger with every passing election, have grown their representation in the AN, massively won the European elections, and are more and more supported in the country with every passing election.

Just because the electoral system meant they didn't win the overwhelming majority that might have been expected, they're in a very strong position.

But a lot of what you say would have remained true if Macron had delayed to the last moment. An election had to happen at some point. My post was about whether him calling it earlier than he had to, led to a better result than if he’d waited. And I don’t see anything in your reply that relates to that question. Although quite possibly I just wasn’t very clear in what I was asking.

As expected, most Europeans are in general just too effectively vaccinated in the centrist anti-fascist tradition for a party like RN to actually take power. The reality is they just aren't, and probably won't be for the foreseeable future, popular enough to win if the centre and left gang up on them.

Even if they somehow overcome those obstacles and win a narrow absolute majority, they won't be able to effectively implement the changes they want to a satistying degree when they're operating in a system completely hostile to them. This weird new alliance will have to make an absolute mess of it for Le Pen to have any realistic chance in 2027. The fear mongering about the rise of the so called far right really is overblown and mostly used to mask the failures of the current political establishment.
Macron and the incoming government should do something on immigration and start a project to bring jobs to rural areas. If they do, she won’t have a good chance to win in 2027.

I think that Macron has the time to do something, and I also think that the name Le Pen doesn’t help either. RN is led by someone with a name that is unattractive and by a “high school graduate” as one of my French friends put it today.

Terrible to see, but in fairness, most people reacted calmly. These two ladies went too too far, but the rest were fine.

Macron and the incoming government should do something on immigration and start a project to bring jobs to rural areas. If they do, she won’t have a good chance to win in 2027.

I think that Macron has the time to do something, and I also think that the name Le Pen doesn’t help either. RN is led by someone with a name that is unattractive and by a “high school graduate” as one of my French friends put it today.
Agree. Worst thing they could do if the goal is to keep RN out of power indefinitely is to just postpone addressing these things. I'm unsure they will, though, but I'm not sure. Hopefully you're right.

10 days in and NFP can't agree on anything, well LFI disagrees with everything that the other propose. Now they are doing the media rounds and apologizing for being useless. :lol:

Worked out really well for Macron this. People are getting exasperated at the NFP and the needle hasn’t significantly moved for the far right in the second round - unless a devils bargain is made, bodes well for ren. in the presidentials

https://www.politico.eu/article/emm...ntrist-thursday-president-elections-2024-nfp/

Looks like Macron might just avoid becoming a sort of lame duck president by the centre and republican right forming a tenuous alliance, while the NFP seem unable to use their mometum.

Quite impressive after being written off as a delusional fool by all political camps and the press :lol:

The NFP, meanwhile, now looks closer to collapsing than ever before. The alliance’s bickering and infighting prevented it from rallying behind a single candidate for prime minister, and even agreeing on Chassaigne — a congenial and well-respected parliamentarian — required negotiations that lasted until the day before the vote.

fecking leftists :lol:

If you ever bet on a group of people to feck up political power, it's the whinging morons that demand perfection and selfish grandstanding over governance.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emm...ntrist-thursday-president-elections-2024-nfp/

Looks like Macron might just avoid becoming a sort of lame duck president by the centre and republican right forming a tenuous alliance, while the NFP seem unable to use their mometum.

Quite impressive after being written off as a delusional fool by all political camps and the press :lol:
The French media got the election wrong from the beginning. Even I, from the side of the Ocean, could see that RN were struggling after the first round. Talks about RN having absolute majority were insane given what we saw in the first round, yet some continued to talk about it.

The French public is probably more moderate than the media thinks.

Who is the guy they’re ignoring?

France has a tradition that the oldest member of the house chairs the first session of a new parliament and the youngest one welcomes everyone. This year's youngest was Flavien Temet of le Pen's National Rally.

Macron getting tons of criticism on Twitter. How do our French posters analyze the situation?

Macron getting tons of criticism on Twitter. How do our French posters analyze the situation?

Seems as if he's now got an impossible job.

The objective is to get a functioning government

But with Mélenchon and Le Pen hating each other they're going to block each other.

Everybody outside the LFI really hates Mélenchon (even the left) and everyone outside RN (even the right) hates Le Pen.

On top of that, all the other parties hate each other.

Who knows?

Seems as if he's now got an impossible job.

The objective is to get a functioning government

But with Mélenchon and Le Pen hating each other they're going to block each other.

Everybody outside the LFI really hates Mélenchon (even the left) and everyone outside RN (even the right) hates Le Pen.

On top of that, all the other parties hate each other.

Who knows?

So was it a smart move by him to call the snap election? Or did he have little option after the EU elections.

So was it a smart move by him to call the snap election? Or did he have little option after the EU elections.

Either way they were blocked.
He reduced Le Pen's power but Mélenchon is the other problem on the other side. Neither of these two have France's interests at heart, whatever they say.

He's probably now hoping to get an agreement with the more reasonable mid-left to mid-right parties.
I have no idea what's going to happen.

Definitely not a smart move… While he didn’t have a majority, he had a functioning government, now he has a resigning government that can’t do much… Macron gambled, he was thinking the Left was too divided to present unified lists for the snap elections. Had that been the case, Macron’s centrist parties would have found themselves facing the far right in most second rounds and the Centrist would have won a majority thanks to Left tactical votes. But the Left united quickly in a survival instinct and they surprised everyone by defeating both the Center and the far right.

I’d say the smart move now would be to nominate the Left’s candidate, she will quickly get voted down by the Parliament and afterwards it would be much easier for the social democrats and Greens to break free from Melenchon’s coalition and possibly join Macron in a more reasonable one. Left voters would understand then, not before.

Definitely not a smart move… While he didn’t have a majority, he had a functioning government, now he has a resigning government that can’t do much… Macron gambled, he was thinking the Left was too divided to present unified lists for the snap elections. Had that been the case, Macron’s centrist parties would have found themselves facing the far right in most second rounds and the Centrist would have won a majority thanks to Left tactical votes. But the Left united quickly in a survival instinct and they surprised everyone by defeating both the Center and the far right.

I’d say the smart move now would be to nominate the Left’s candidate, she will quickly get voted down by the Parliament and afterwards it would be much easier for the social democrats and Greens to break free from Melenchon’s coalition and possibly join Macron in a more reasonable one. Left voters would understand then, not before.

Thank you for this which I found very interesting. And of course thete is the elections in Germany that look to be going the other way. So the 2 main countries in Europe/EU seeing a great deal of political uncertainty, which is not good.
I know some people criticise the FPTP system in the UK. But at least it normally esults in a majority government the next day.

Thank you for this which I found very interesting. And of course thete is the elections in Germany that look to be going the other way. So the 2 main countries in Europe/EU seeing a great deal of political uncertainty, which is not good.
I know some people criticise the FPTP system in the UK. But at least it normally esults in a majority government the next day.

The FPTP system in France would have resulted in either Far right getting straight majority or a Left Coalition (led by fra Left)… In Germany’s elections the far right would have won a confortable majority in Thüringen and it would be neck and neck in Sachsen between them and the conservatives.

Majorities with a third of the popular vote may be ok in a less polarized political climate. But when the public has so many divergent priorities it is much better to be forced to build coalition and compromises.

The FPTP system in France would have resulted in either Far right getting straight majority or a Left Coalition (led by fra Left)… In Germany’s elections the far right would have won a confortable majority in Thüringen and it would be neck and neck in Sachsen between them and the conservatives.

Majorities with a third of the popular vote may be ok in a less polarized political climate. But when the public has so many divergent priorities it is much better to be forced to build coalition and compromises.

Fair point. But here in the UK, a potential coalition between the Tories and Reform doesn't bear thinking about.

It's definitely been stolen from the left and the headline here isn't about Mélenchon or Le Pen, it's about Macron's little despot routine.

How is it stolen from the left? Did they have a majority? Did Mélenchon not nominate Castets to be his mouthpiece? Macron's job is to referee to obtain a functioning government.

You seriously think that the other parties will allow a PM from LFI? or a PM from RN?

How is it stolen from the left? Did they have a majority? Did Mélenchon not nominate Castets to be his mouthpiece? Macron's job is to referee to obtain a functioning government.

You seriously think that the other parties will allow a PM from LFI? or a PM from RN?
The left won the last elections, and the president, as a guardian of the constitution, should have named a PM from the left. It's honestly that straightforward and anything else stems from watching too much BFM TV or Cnews. Anything beyond that is unimportant, whether there's a motion de censure after the first vote, whether they struggle to form a majority text by text (which is the approach the left said they would have). No idea why you're throwing in the RN, but neither Castets nor Tondelier are LFI so your point is irrelevant.

So yes, Macron stole the election from the left.

That you think the headline from today is Mélenchon or Le Pen is frankly insane.