Final | Spain vs England

One or two different starters and a willingness to be positive with those changes and today would of been 2022 levels of excitement. Not saying England would have won, but the 5-10 minutes where they chased the game with Palmer and Watkins on was the best period for England, and the best period for a neutral surely.

Agree with this to some extent, but I think the change which got the goal also left us open. Middle of the pitch looked wide open as soon as we swapped Palmer for Mainoo. After all this time, still could never find the balance in midfield.

Netherlands were fecking woeful. It was a terrible side of the draw with little quality. Turkey probably should have been in the semi final

I bet the English players are still practicing penalties right before the game. You can't do that against Spain. You may be able to pull a draw against Italy because Italy is more defensive in nature but not against Spain.

In the final, you have to go all out. You cannot play for penalty shootout.

Netherlands were fecking woeful. It was a terrible side of the draw with little quality. Turkey probably should have been in the semi final

Meh I think this tournament has shown 1 thing. Most international sides in Europe are bloody terrible.

Only just caught the highlights. I had a feeling England would get it done tonight but having seen the way things panned out, the gulf between the two NTs and more importantly their respective culture of excellence is clear. It’s an obvious part of the Spanish ethos to control matches play games cohesive, intelligent and technical football, whereas England’s is built around keep it tight and hopefully the attackers produce. Until there’s a proper shift towards aiming for something better, they’ll struggle to ever be the best team on the planet. They might still win a cup if they get another Italy in a final (who they also forgoed control against).

The win / loss IMO is more about the respective national team’s footballing culture (or heritage) than just about the respective squads

Also why does it have to be that both my club side and national side play terrible football, can't keep the ball and want to desperately defend and hope for forward players to randomly perform moments of magic.

What cruel fate is this.

Its such a joy to watch Spain play. All of their players are tecnically gifted, their passes are are accurate even under pressure and their one twos near opponent penalty box are just beuautiful.

Highly doubt it. They’re quite an average side playing around another bunch of average sides tbh. They’ll be lost in the shuffle if the other teams get their act together with proper managers.
Thats a strange take.

How did they get to the final by luck? They were the better team in everyone of their knock out games, and didn’t lose a game until the final, which ended up being very close despite coming up against the best team in the tournament. The anti-English, anti-Southgate bias is just so evident in these posts. And fair enough, feel the way you want, but also be prepared to be told to go feck yourself.
It was close just cause Spain didnt take their chances earlier.

How did they get to the final by luck? They were the better team in everyone of their knock out games, and didn’t lose a game until the final, which ended up being very close despite coming up against the best team in the tournament. The anti-English, anti-Southgate bias is just so evident in these posts. And fair enough, feel the way you want, but also be prepared to be told to go feck yourself.

They scraped through against a very average Switzerland and then again against a very average Netherlands, despite having access to a number of excellent and a couple of world class players. It's not bias I'm just pointing out the obvious - he's a very poor coach and the dogs in the street know it.

And be prepared for everyone to dismiss you as thick as pigsh#t if you throw abuse around like that.

From a German perspective, I'm actually quite happy with the result. I really believe that we were at least equal to Spain. Since Nagelsmann took over the helm, some hope is slowly growing again.
Well you weren’t. As evidenced by you not playing today.

Also why does it have to be that both my club side and national side play terrible football, can't keep the ball and want to desperately defend and hope for forward players to randomly perform moments of magic.

What cruel fate is this.
England need a proper coach. Southgate has done his whole building a culture thing but with such a fantastic squad you have to move beyond this keep it tight and rely on individual moments business. He’s a safe option for tournament football but you have no culture or intention of playing great football and it’s clear why.

Rice isnt the grade. People thought i was mad for singling him out. He needs too many touches, thats why the press was so effective.

Mainoo struggled but wouldnt anyone in that situation? Think wharton and mainoo are the future not rice.

Southgate, thank you for everything but i genuinely think you've taken this team as far as you can. Lets get a manager in who can make us look like a team with the players we have available.

Southgate is the man who brings stability before the success for me.

Well you weren’t. As evidenced by you not playing today.
Either way, it was very very close, that game. Unlike the final. That was the one game Spain look like they could have lost as it ebbed and flowed and could have gone either way.

The crazy thing about this is that if only properly managed England could have actually won European trophy. The players were there, but the manager is a political coward.

Rice isnt the grade. People thought i was mad for singling him out. He needs too many touches, thats why the press was so effective.

He also leaves crazy amounts of space in the midfield - good teams don't forgive that.

Mainoo struggled but wouldnt anyone in that situation? Think wharton and mainoo are the future not rice.

Southgate, thank you for everything but i genuinely think you've taken this team as far as you can. Lets get a manager in who can make us look like a team with the players we have available.

Southgate is the man who brings stability before the success for me.

Yeah, Rice is a clogger. Infuriating player because he could do a lot better but he takes an extra touch when not needed.

They scraped through against a very average Switzerland and then again against a very average Netherlands, despite having access to a number of excellent and a couple of world class players. It's not bias I'm just pointing out the obvious - he's a very poor coach and the dogs in the street know it.

And be prepared for everyone to dismiss you as thick as pigsh#t if you throw abuse around like that.

Your post was just some bitter nonsense and it continued to be so. I’m not debating about Southgate, I’m debating about your vitriolic take on England, everyone hating them, only being there because of luck and shithousery. Which is clearly bollocks. They’ve clearly been one of the best 3 or 4 teams this tournament, just like they were in the last Euros. The better team won, and I have no problem saying that. But the vitriol from you was just unnecessary. Especially in the light of victory.

Spain or Spanish teams have been in 27 finals in the last 23 years - World Cup, Euros, Champions League, Europa League - and have won all 27.

4 were all-Spanish,
5 v ITA,
3 v GER,
2 v FRA.
Against English opposition (Liverpool x3, Man United x3, Fulham, Arsenal & Boro), Spain teams won 9/9.

I find it funny that Gareth said that Kane was not quite fit. So why make him a starter - this is doing my head in!

Your post was just some bitter nonsense and it continued to be so. I’m not debating about Southgate, I’m debating about your vitriolic take on England, everyone hating them, only being there because of luck and shithousery. Which is clearly bollocks. They’ve clearly been one of the best 3 or 4 teams this tournament, just like they were in the last Euros. The better team won, and I have no problem saying that. But the vitriol from you was just unnecessary. Especially in the light of victory.
He's right though

Pathetic throughout the whole tournament.

Scammed our way through every game playing some of the worst football in English football history.

Spain completely outclassed us and when we scored simply took the game away from us and scored an excellent goal.

Thsi team and coaching set up deserves nothing.

Ridiculously self congratulating shite ITV 2 Love Island rubbish.

I have watched that second goal over and over again and it was really bad from an England perspective. Walker is in a bad position, Stones never reads the danger.

Surely England's luck runs out next tournament and they won't have such a forgiving string of fixtures. They had no business being in the final ahead of the likes of Germany and France (even if they were quite shite).

Spain or Spanish teams have been in 27 finals in the last 23 years - World Cup, Euros, Champions League, Europa League - and have won all 27.

4 were all-Spanish,
5 v ITA,
3 v GER,
2 v FRA.
Against English opposition (Liverpool x3, Man United x3, Fulham, Arsenal & Boro), Spain teams won 9/9.
:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

Most disappointing thing is we didn't have a go at 1-1,they were definitely rocked by the goal but sat back instead of building on it. Gutting we will never know what extra time could have bought had we scored from one of those three headers.

We also need to quit with the "It's Coming Home" thing until we you know win a tournament. The media started it and there has been zero benefit to it.

Last edited:
We also need to quit with the "It's Coming Home" thing until we you know win a tournament. The media started it and there has been zero benefit to it.
This is true I think and puts big pressure on the players, when it’s already a big pressure moment.

Yeah, no.

4 were all-Spanish,
5 v ITA,
3 v GER,
2 v FRA.
That’s insane. The FA should really look into how things are getting done there.

Surely England's luck runs out next tournament and they won't have such a forgiving string of fixtures. They had no business being in the final ahead of the likes of Germany and France (even if they were quite shite).

Just maybe IF we ever have an attacking mindset then we wouldn't have so much fear of facing multiple top teams in tournaments.

4 were all-Spanish,
5 v ITA,
3 v GER,
2 v FRA.
Spain didn't win anything when De Gea was their no 1 choice. Goes to show how important a goalkeeper is.

But De Gea did win two Europas.

I agree England have hit the ceiling with Southgate. But when Southgate was appointed I don’t think any of us expected 2 successive Euro final appearances albeit with a generous slice of luck with the draws.

I think Southgate has made playing for England desirable again and he has achieved what he has set out to do. England are quite resilient despite being hamstrung by conservative tactical decisions. Southgate is a decent England manager all things considered. Now it’s time for someone else to build on that from a technical standpoint.

England, contrary to what the English think (including my wife), are in a good place.

I agree England have hit the ceiling with Southgate. But when Southgate was appointed I don’t think any of us expected 2 successive Euro final appearances albeit with a generous slice of luck with the draws.

I think Southgate has made playing for England desirable again and he has achieved what he has set out to do. England are quite resilient despite being hamstrung by conservative tactical decisions. Southgate is a decent England manager all things considered. Now it’s time for someone else to build on that from a technical standpoint.

England, contrary to what the English think (including my wife), are in a good place.

I am scared of the FA making a safe appointment, that happens then there is absolutely no chance we will ever play on the front foot