Federico Chiesa | Liverpool agree initial 13m (Euros) fee

Really liked him in the 2021 Euros. Good player. Knowing Liverpool he’ll probably never have an injury problem again.

He must have fallen out with Juve fans if he's willing to join Liverpool.

It's a good signing for them, if, and it's a big if, he can stay consistently fit.

Lose your best manager in modern history. Lose out on your first choice manager and settle for another.
Turn down by fancy name targets.
Look decent in pre-season.
Start the season well too.
Panic and sign Fellaini on deadline day because we hadn't signed anyone else in a position we didn't really truly need.
Wrote this 7 years ago about the hubristic nature of succession.

It’s up to Liverpool to see the folly of chasing success with no plan but lots of self-confidence.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/united-1990s-liverpool-re-enacted.428685/

He's been available all summer. If they were actually that keen on him then they would have at least put an offer in earlier in the window.

Decent cheap squad option, but I doubt he'll end up playing that much. Not sure he has the physicality to make much of an impact in the PL either.

possibly but as far as backup goal scoring wingers go that’s a good deal with more upside than down. If he even just occasionally shows glimpses of his best stuff it’ll be money well spent.

It's' obvious how this will go. He'll flop and be sold to Bournemouth for 30 mil.

An Italian player to be leaving Juve for such little money in what should be the prime of their career is surely not a great sign. Saying that, from the limited times I have seen him play he is the type of fast, direct player that should thrive in the pl.

The Belgium winger Juve got looks pretty good, can understand them moving Chiesa on but that fee is extremely low. He's not as explosive anymore but still a decent player.

Who is better - this guy or Sterling? I recall Chiesa being quite highly rated here at one point. In the clips he always just looked quick and dogged but not genuinely excellent.

Remember watching him against England in the euro final and thought he looked a star in the making. I don't follow Italian football, so presumably in the 4 years since he's not been very good, or they'd not be letting him go for peanuts

Remember watching him against England in the euro final and thought he looked a star in the making. I don't follow Italian football, so presumably in the 4 years since he's not been very good, or they'd not be letting him go for peanuts
Ruined by injuries.

If he can be 70% of the player he was 4 years ago, it's a steal. We're now fully covered on the flanks and can play Jota more centrally for the majority of the season, if everyone remains fit!
I'd have loved us to have bought a top class CDM but we seem to be very narrow in our requirements of who falls into that category, hopefully Gravenberch is the unexpected answer...

The money is very good, however I don't think he's anywhere near the level he used to be. He's lost a lot of his acceleration

I don't know why I still get annoyed that Liverpool's incoming transfers are always reported as an "initial [cheap] fee with add-ons" while ours get the full package and sometimes wages and signing bonuses thrown in for good measure.

For all we know, they could be committing €40m for the signing of a crock.
Like the €50m+10m reports for Ugarte, you mean?

This is such a weird opinion to have.

Wtf. Why so cheap? Always rated him and didn't know about his alleged decline.

I don't know why I still get annoyed that Liverpool's incoming transfers are always reported as an "initial [cheap] fee with add-ons" while ours get the full package and sometimes wages and signing bonuses thrown in for good measure.

For all we know, they could be committing €40m for the signing of a crock.
We get the euro fee reported as pounds too at times.

Very good player before his injury, decent player currently. It is not really a gamble at the price, they can sell him for double the amount in a year or two. If he finds his old form back, he will be a good player for them. You cant fault his effort on the pitch.

Now why didn’t we put some kind of swap deal in place with juventus for this guy? I’d rather a bit of cash and chiesa for sancho over Sterling any day.

Good age and price. Questionable injury record. Hopefully he turns out to be another Arthur Melo for them.

Hopefully will allow Juve to buy Sancho from us and put the Sterling swap rumours to bed.

A bafflingly brazen attempt by FSG to act like they have done something this window, signing a clearly past-it name that adds very little to their team.

If that’s it for Liverpool, it’s almost insulting to spend so little money at the end to try and placate supporters.

Klopp had been covering over the cracks for them for a long time, they will have to hope that Slot does the same now.