Federico Chiesa | Liverpool agree initial 13m (Euros) fee

I thought the same. Strange really.

Chiesa will do something nice here and there but that's about it.
I'd take that. At that fee, if he can come in and get a few assist and goals it'll be money well spent. Agree on the positional thing...though I can see Salah moving more infield as his pace is on the wane, meaning we'll need more cover on the wings.

In isolation, it's a good deal for our sixth choice forward.

In context, it does little to remedy the total negligence with which Hughes and FSG have handled this window. We're always playing catch up to where we need to be.
Bit of a strange deal to do if he’s 6th choice. Surely there’s a young player within the squad/academy for a role like that? Appreciate Carvalho had to go.

Bit of a strange deal to do if he’s 6th choice. Surely there’s a young player within the squad/academy for a role like that? Appreciate Carvalho had to go.
I think Ben Doak is next in line but he's nowhere near good enough to be playing for the first team imo. Guessing Chiesa is going to be on the RW.

We're so short in midfield. A Mac Allister injury will be painful if it happens.

I think Ben Doak is next in line but he's nowhere near good enough to be playing for the first team imo. Guessing Chiesa is going to be on the RW.

We're so short in midfield. A Mac Allister injury will be painful if it happens.
Yeah it seems a DM or 6 of sorts was really important. The Zubamendi thing was a bit of a shit show however I’d of thought you’d have had at least one other target in that area lined up.

I think he will struggle in the PL but at that price he’s well worth the punt, feels like a bit of a no lose situation for them tbh. You’ll recover that fee even if he is an absolute flop. Very surprised nobody else is coming in at that price.

Can't really go wrong with this one if it costs us less than what we sold Van den Berg for. Low risk, high reward move if it goes through.

Can't say I've watched him play after Euro 2020 when he was great imo, but if he gets anywhere close to that level he can provide a spark in the last quarter of our games I guess.
For the price paid it’s zero risk. Unless there’s some add ons that I’m not aware of.

Interesting low price gamble by Liverpool. Normally with ACL tears it can take 18-24 months after the player returns to action before they can get back to their pre injury form even then, there's something that has been lost in acceleration.

We saw this with falcao when he came to us then Chelsea. It was only when he went to Monaco 2-3 years later that he managed to find his form. Though he's was older than Chiesa.

An interesting gamble this is, curious to see how it pans out.

Yeah it seems a DM or 6 of sorts was really important. The Zubamendi thing was a bit of a shit show however I’d of thought you’d have had at least one other target in that area lined up.
I think he gave the impression he wanted to make the move and simply changed his mind. I'm disappointed we're waiting to make a move on anyone else until the end of the window. I've always felt that clubs who do their business at the end have had a poor summer.

Juventus getting the sort of fee for one of their players that we get.

Wonder will he manage to be as shite as Shaqiri.
If he gives us what Shaqiri did, I’d be more than happy. Shaqiri may have been just a squad option, and injured a bit too often, but he played some vital moments at times during our CL and PL seasons.

No idea about them. Alisson commented that he wants to stay for a long period still but the Mamardashvilli signing is a bit weird in ligt thereof. I think Salah VVD and TAA need new contracts but not sure what'll happen with that. I wouldn't fault TAA for wanting to move to Madrid and try something new after winning everything there is to win with his boyhood club.

This doesn't move the needle for the club indeed but that's not a slight on Chiesa nor does it make this a bad transfer in itself. We need starting XI quality players at CB and CDM (which we went for and failed because a player changed his mind last-minute), but doesn't look like it'll be happening. I'd rather we keep our money, identify new targets and buy the right players rather than just spunk it on whoever is still available this late into the transfer window. It's not like we are expected to challenge for the league immediately under Slot this season (or at least that's not my expecatation), so we'll see how far we can go in the competitions this season and then further assess what we need and where.

Would I have liked 4 additional players who could've made us compete for the league? Sure, but that's not happening so no point in being depressed about it.

I see. I just believe Liverpool didn't make the best use of this summer window, but rather wasted it. If you signed Zubimendi and 2-3 other players of a similar level, I think this could've been potentially one of, if not the last season, where that core of TAA-Alisson-VVD-Salah could've dragged you to the title, or at least close to it, with a few quality additions. But it feels like FSG are settling for a top 4 challenge and are fine with wasting another season of those 4. It's especially weird when their futures are in apparently doubt, and in the case of van Dijk and Salah, they're not getting any younger. I can see Liverpool struggle massively when they start declining or if they decide to leave. Not sure how you could replace any of the 4 adequately, but I'm in the minority on here who rates them actually really highly.

He needs to pass his medicals first, a couple of Italian players coming from knee injuries were rejected in the recent past (Castrovilli, the latest one), let’s see how it goes.

If he gives us what Shaqiri did, I’d be more than happy. Shaqiri may have been just a squad option, and injured a bit too often, but he played some vital moments at times during our CL and PL seasons.

And yet, he was still fairly wank.

Imagine being forced out of the country you’ve lived in all your life and the only available destination is Liverpool. You can’t help but feel sorry for the poor chap.

I don't know why I still get annoyed that Liverpool's incoming transfers are always reported as an "initial [cheap] fee with add-ons" while ours get the full package and sometimes wages and signing bonuses thrown in for good measure.

For all we know, they could be committing €40m for the signing of a crock.
That might just be a you issue rather than any conspiracy against United. I have followed everything this summer and all the fees were reported correctly contrary to what you are suggesting.

- Zirkzee fees has been mentioned as EUR 42.5m, 2.5m above the release clause as we agreed on a 3 year payment plan.
- Yoro initially was reported less, EUR 52m + 10m, but later on was corrected to EUR 62m+8m.
- de Ligt has been reported as EUR 45+5m
- Mazraoui has been reported as EUR 15m+5m
- And now Ugarte is being reported as EUR50m+10m.

I don't think you are getting your news from the right places. As those fees were reported as is every place I have come across.

That undoubtedly was the case in the past, not now.
Michael Edwards and Julian Ward are back at the club since this year, both were also on board when we did our best transfer business in the early Klopp days.

Michael Edwards and Julian Ward are back at the club since this year, both were also on board when we did our best transfer business in the early Klopp days.

Yeah and they’ve done a sterling job this window, well done them.

Yeah and they’ve done a sterling job this window, well done them.
So it was the case in the past, but now that the same people of that past are back, it's still not true anymore because of one summer? Doesn't make sense mate - I was just pointing out that it's in fact the same people still in charge.

That might just be a you issue rather than any conspiracy against United. I have followed everything this summer and all the fees were reported correctly contrary to what you are suggesting.

- Zirkzee fees has been mentioned as EUR 42.5m, 2.5m above the release clause as we agreed on a 3 year payment plan.
- Yoro initially was reported less, EUR 52m + 10m, but later on was corrected to EUR 62m+8m.
- de Ligt has been reported as EUR 45+5m
- Mazraoui has been reported as EUR 15m+5m
- And now Ugarte is being reported as EUR50m+10m.

I don't think you are getting your news from the right places. As those fees were reported as is every place I have come across.
Might be more a historic thing, because those are indeed the fees I've read this summer. Like I said, I don't know why it still annoys me.

There's a bit of arrogance to how Liverpool are conducting their transfer business this year. A goalkeeper they don't immediately need and a low cost winger. It's almost as if they're saying, "our squad is great and we don't need to add". Kinda odd for a team that finished 3rd last year, 9 points behind the winners.

There's a bit of arrogance to how Liverpool are conducting their transfer business this year. A goalkeeper they don't immediately need and a low cost winger. It's almost as if they're saying, "our squad is great and we don't need to add". Kinda odd for a team that finished 3rd last year, 9 points behind the winners.

FSG always think they are the smartest people in the room. And they love a faux intellectual "this may be controversial but... Our current players are actually really good".

Impossible to foresee of course that we'd need more than three centerbacks in 2020 (after all, only two of them were massively injury prone) or that our midfield needed rejuvenation already 2022.

They are always fixing problems only after it's become beyond obvious it needed attention.

Current issues: No succession plan for Robertson. That will only happen when he is genuinely finished. Same for Van Dijk. Same for Salah.

They even had the fecking gall to brief after Zubimendi fell through that we can't prioritise that position too much this season since there is a good chance TAA, VVD and Salah could leave next summer. Without having offered any of them a new contract.

They are a frustrating mix of analytical and methodical people who have arrogance aplenty and no sense of footballing urgency. They are fine to leave it to Klopp to make up the deficiencies of their own negligence. And if that means no titlre challenge? Oh well, there is always next year and the year after that, etc. And now, Slot is being asked the same.

Imagine being new to the league taking over from the best manager in the world, who finished 3rd with this team, and getting no reinforcements. What the feck are they expecting?

Last edited:
So it was the case in the past, but now that the same people of that past are back, it's still not true anymore because of one summer? Doesn't make sense mate - I was just pointing out that it's in fact the same people still in charge.
It may be, but as an outsider it looks like your budget has changed. For whatever reason

Don’t mind him as we could do with someone to relieve Salah and the fee is good.

But to get get a new manager and leave the transfer window signing just a keeper going out on loan and a back up forward seems negligent - with a net spend of around zero because they also decided to sell a couple of youngsters.

All while we've got two glaring holes in the squad at cdm and cb.

But FSG will FSG.

But to get get a new manager and leave the transfer window signing just a keeper going out on loan and a back up forward seems negligent - with a net spend of around zero because they also decided to sell a couple of youngsters.
i think we can only assume it’s because you have been cheating with regards to psr and should be booted out of the league pyramid altogether, along with city, in september.

Don’t mind him as we could do with someone to relieve Salah and the fee is good.

But FSG will FSG.
Is Salah unable to relieve himself?

But FSG will FSG.
Presently a net profit of 20m, including the chiesa deal. With Matip and Thiago left on free transfers. And Bajcetic and Morton out on loan.

There will be briefs from Hughes on the footballing benefits of an ultra lean squad in early september I'm sure.

It may be, but as an outsider it looks like your budget has changed. For whatever reason
Indeed, but if that's the case then that's not a reflection on the ability of our football director/exec, which the poster I replied to was referring to ("better in the past but not anymore").

Whilst Edwards and Hughes may be back in charge, there is most definitely something different now - be that budget and also the fact that Klopp is no longer there, which is a massive loss to them. Whilst powder puff signings - like the new back up goalie who isn’t joining them until next year and a pacey winger which they definitely do not need, no matter how cheap he is - may appease some of the fan base, I’d argue that Hughes and Edwards have either been hampered by budget or, if that’s not the case, negligent in not addressing LFC’s glaring issues. They need a CDM, a new LB and a CB at least. And with VVD, Salah and Trent all potentially walking on a free next summer and with this not addressed yet, I would not be happy at all if I was an LFC fan. Yes they have a great forward line but they are one injury in midfield or defence away from a very tough season. It’s not even as if they can rely on the youngsters to fill the gaps as Bajetic, Carvalho and Bobby Clarke have all been let go.

Whilst Edwards and Hughes may be back in charge, there is most definitely something different now - be that budget and also the fact that Klopp is no longer there, which is a massive loss to them. Whilst powder puff signings - like the new back up goalie who isn’t joining them until next year and a pacey winger which they definitely do not need, no matter how cheap he is - may appease some of the fan base, I’d argue that Hughes and Edwards have either been hampered by budget or, if that’s not the case, negligent in not addressing LFC’s glaring issues. They need a CDM, a new LB and a CB at least. And with VVD, Salah and Trent all potentially walking on a free next summer and with this not addressed yet, I would not be happy at all if I was an LFC fan. Yes they have a great forward line but they are one injury in midfield or defence away from a very tough season. It’s not even as if they can rely on the youngsters to fill the gaps as Bajetic, Carvalho and Bobby Clarke have all been let go.
Personally I think they have been limited by the budget for this summer (what budget? you could argue)
They’ve been not afraid of spending it in the past on Nunez, Alisson etc