Federico Chiesa | Liverpool agree initial 13m (Euros) fee

Interesting deal. Low risk at the price but 50/50 if he can cope with the demands of the PL.

The ACL certainly took something from him and it’s always telling that no other club seemed to want to pick him up this summer given the price and availability.

Really good technical player though. Very direct and gives them options. Wonder if Nunez really is out of favour?

Chiesa and Mamardashvili :lol:

A 27 year old injury prone winger who doesn't improve their XI, and will likely find life much more difficult in the Premier League than the Serie A. I was always of the opinion that United should steer clear of Chiesa, so now I'll get to find out if that was good judgment from my part or not. The another guy is an incredible shot-stopper, but not exactly a good technical goalkeeper as of now, who is a huge downgrade on Alisson overall, and won't even join for another 12 months.

Laughable window from them so far IMO, with clearly zero title and CL aspirations from the board. Long may it continue.

Chiesa and Mamardashvili :lol:

A 27 year old injury prone winger who doesn't improve their XI, and will likely find life much more difficult in the Premier League than the Serie A. I was always of the opinion that United should steer clear of Chiesa, so now I'll get to find out if that was good judgment from my part or not. The another guy is an incredible shot-stopper, but not exactly a good technical goalkeeper as of now, who is a huge downgrade on Alisson overall, and won't even join for another 12 months.

Laughable window from them so far IMO, with clearly zero title and CL aspirations from the board. Long may it continue.
You were of the opinion that United shouldn't sign Chiesa after his great Euro 2020 and now you want to validate that opinion 4 years and multiple injuries later? Okay then.

You were of the opinion that United shouldn't sign Chiesa after his great Euro 2020 and now you want to validate that opinion 4 years and multiple injuries later? Okay then.

I think he's a player that shouldn't have left Italy, and when his stock was the highest, the money wouldn't have been worth it anyway. I'm not debating whether he's a good player or not, but I'll be shocked if this is going to be a good signing for you.

Well last season was the first full season he played after the knee crack.
He didn't have a good season but still delivered 10goals and 3 assists.
But that was Serie A we gotta see if he adapt to EPL level

Slightly better underlying stats than that, looks like his teammates missed a few chances he set up.

Understat had him on 7.34 expected assists, Fbref on 6.2. With around 2200 minutes on the pitch it's solid if not spectactular.

Different positions but similar sort of expected output to Miranchuk and he's gone to MLS for the same kind of the price and is a similar age. Politano and De Ketelaere also with very similar kinds of figures.

I think he's a player that shouldn't have left Italy, and when his stock was the highest, the money wouldn't have been worth it anyway. I'm not debating whether he's a good player or not, but I'll be shocked if this is going to be a good signing for you.
He costs £10m, if he gets like 15 sub appearances and 2 goals it'll have been worth it. £10m doesn't even get you half a Sepp Van den Berg or Fabio Carvalho these days, while the upside of Chiesa is ten times higher.

Think he'll be a good backup. Diaz has started the season well and Salah has no chance of missing out. With Jota playing up front theres space as a backup and thats very cheap for a good player

Not a bad fee even if he will only be a backup for Luis Diaz, he doesnt seem to get many assists though so might not be the best player to have alongside Darwin Nunez.

He costs £10m, if he gets like 15 sub appearances and 2 goals it'll have been worth it. £10m doesn't even get you half a Sepp Van den Berg or Fabio Carvalho these days, while the upside of Chiesa is ten times higher.

That's fine, but does he move the needle at all for Liverpool? It's like when we signed Dan James from the Championship. The upside if he becomes a great PL player is very high, if not, which ended up being the case, well, it was still worth it, because it was a cheap punt.

Liverpool should've been bringing in 3-4 high-level players in order to try to close the gap to Arsenal and City. Instead so far it's been a back-up winger and an inferior long-term replacement for Alisson. Him, Trent, VVD and Salah are the 4 players keeping you competitive and they're pretty much irreplaceable assets for Liverpool. There's a good chance at least 1 of them leaves next summer too, if I'm not mistaken?

Interesting deal. Low risk at the price but 50/50 if he can cope with the demands of the PL.

The ACL certainly took something from him and it’s always telling that no other club seemed to want to pick him up this summer given the price and availability.

Really good technical player though. Very direct and gives them options. Wonder if Nunez really is out of favour?

The main problem with Nunez is that he's shite.

In isolation, it's a good deal for our sixth choice forward.

In context, it does little to remedy the total negligence with which Hughes and FSG have handled this window. We're always playing catch up to where we need to be.

Looked electric just a couple of years ago (pre-Euros). Not sure what’s happened to him since but seems pretty low-risk at that price.

They’re so stacked in attacking positions that I don’t think it actually greatly improved then though. Plus, isn’t he nominally a left-winger? They’re pretty covered there with Gakpo and Diaz.

I bet if we were looking to get him, it would cost 40m to us and people here would call it a bargain.

That's fine, but does he move the needle at all for Liverpool? It's like when we signed Dan James from the Championship. The upside if he becomes a great PL player is very high, if not, which ended up being the case, well, it was still worth it, because it was a cheap punt.

Liverpool should've been bringing in 3-4 high-level players in order to try to close the gap to Arsenal and City. Instead so far it's been a back-up winger and an inferior long-term replacement for Alisson. Him, Trent, VVD and Salah are the 4 players keeping you competitive and they're pretty much irreplaceable assets for Liverpool. There's a good chance at least 1 of them leaves next summer too, if I'm not mistaken?
No idea about them. Alisson commented that he wants to stay for a long period still but the Mamardashvilli signing is a bit weird in ligt thereof. I think Salah VVD and TAA need new contracts but not sure what'll happen with that. I wouldn't fault TAA for wanting to move to Madrid and try something new after winning everything there is to win with his boyhood club.

This doesn't move the needle for the club indeed but that's not a slight on Chiesa nor does it make this a bad transfer in itself. We need starting XI quality players at CB and CDM (which we went for and failed because a player changed his mind last-minute), but doesn't look like it'll be happening. I'd rather we keep our money, identify new targets and buy the right players rather than just spunk it on whoever is still available this late into the transfer window. It's not like we are expected to challenge for the league immediately under Slot this season (or at least that's not my expecatation), so we'll see how far we can go in the competitions this season and then further assess what we need and where.

Would I have liked 4 additional players who could've made us compete for the league? Sure, but that's not happening so no point in being depressed about it.

What the hell happened to this guy? Looked on course to be one of the best wide players in all of football, now he's getting sold for £10m in what should be his prime years?

What the hell happened to this guy? Looked on course to be one of the best wide players in all of football, now he's getting sold for £10m in what should be his prime years?
Injuries. He has a barely functioning knee.

In isolation, it's a good deal for our sixth choice forward.

In context, it does little to remedy the total negligence with which Hughes and FSG have handled this window. We're always playing catch up to where we need to be.
It really looks like there is not much investment happening this window. I still wonder if Klopp knew this was gonna happen and thought I’ve had enough

Didn’t even rate him when he used to be considered good

So my head says he’ll be utter shite there. But it’s Liverpool, so the opposition will probably trip over blades of grass to make him look spectacular

Decent fee, but will be 5th or 6th choice for Liverpool. Just as well as he’s not the same player he was. He was also on 175k per week at Juve and wanted a raise. He’s going to be on at least 150k plus another 30-50k in incentives at Liverpool, given the fee. It’s a lot in wages for a player that likely doesn’t move the needle much for them.

We don't have a very good record with Italian players. I hope he's not another Melo.

Low fee so not much risk.

Even if he’s yesterday’s news can guarantee if we were signing fecking Enrico Chiesa it wouldn’t be for as low as €13m

At the fees we're talking about, I'd have taken a one legged Chiesa over Sterling.

Even if he’s yesterday’s news can guarantee if we were signing fecking Enrico Chiesa it wouldn’t be for as low as €13m
I guarantee it wouldn't have been as well received either by the media and opposition fans.

If there was 2 things I didn't think Liverpool needed its a keeper and a winger.
I thought the same. Strange really.

Chiesa will do something nice here and there but that's about it.

I thought the same. Strange really.

Chiesa will do something nice here and there but that's about it.
I'm OK with that from a sixth choice forward we bought for 12m.