Federico Chiesa | Liverpool agree initial 13m (Euros) fee

Whilst Edwards and Hughes may be back in charge, there is most definitely something different now - be that budget and also the fact that Klopp is no longer there, which is a massive loss to them. Whilst powder puff signings - like the new back up goalie who isn’t joining them until next year and a pacey winger which they definitely do not need, no matter how cheap he is - may appease some of the fan base, I’d argue that Hughes and Edwards have either been hampered by budget or, if that’s not the case, negligent in not addressing LFC’s glaring issues. They need a CDM, a new LB and a CB at least. And with VVD, Salah and Trent all potentially walking on a free next summer and with this not addressed yet, I would not be happy at all if I was an LFC fan. Yes they have a great forward line but they are one injury in midfield or defence away from a very tough season. It’s not even as if they can rely on the youngsters to fill the gaps as Bajetic, Carvalho and Bobby Clarke have all been let go.

+1 good post!

The only logical reason I find with this signing is connected to Salah.
Him being on the fence for another contract might be a reason for Liverpool to be spending less this summer in total as it would tie up alot of money if he eventually decide to sign another extension.
This combined with the most likely outcome, that Salah is leaving for free in 12 months, would make a somewhat logical reason for Liverpool to gamble that Chiesa magically works out so they don't have to spend next summer.
Chiesa sounds fancy but I'm not getting my hopes up, and Salah is never injured so it's not like it's giving us much this season anyway.

Liverpool burying their head in the the sand ignoring CDM-issues after being rejected by three players doesn't make the problem go away. If Mac Allister is injured we're fecked. He's gluing the team together and I believe that Gravenberch will struggle bigtime without him.
This will come back and bite us eventually and I genuinly don't understand why "it was only Zubamendi or none" (With VvD that stance made sense, not this time around), unless Slot have given clear indications that he thinks he can make it work with Gravenberch (suicidal approach if so, in my opinion).

Robertson is said to have been playing with pain since febuary but it does not change the fact that he's been "weak" (in terms of standards needed to win the PL) for 1 year and real competition should have been considered this summer.

I also kinda agree with a backup CB but I'd argue the real problem are in other positions and don't mind waiting for another season. We've got 3 good options and Gomez function as a wildcard.

Last edited:
+1 good post!

The only logical reason I find with this signing is connected to Salah.
Him being on the fence for another contract might be a reason for Liverpool to be spending less this summer in total as it would tie up alot of money if he eventually decide to sign another extension.
This combined with the most likely outcome, that Salah is leaving for free in 12 months, would make a somewhat logical reason for Liverpool to gamble that Chiesa magically works out so they don't have to spend next summer.
Chiesa sounds fancy but I'm not getting my hopes up, and Salah is never injured so it's not like it's giving us much this season anyway.

Liverpool burying their head in the the sand ignoring CDM-issues after being rejected by three players doesn't make the problem go away. If Mac Allister is injured we're fecked. He's gluing the team together and I believe that Gravenberch will struggle bigtime without him.
This will come back and bite us eventually and I genuinly don't understand why "it was only Zubamendi or none" (With VvD that stance made sense, not this time around), unless Slot have given clear indications that he thinks he can make it work with Gravenberch (suicidal approach if so, in my opinion).

Robertson is said to have been playing with pain since febuary but it does not change the fact that he's been "weak" (in terms of standards needed to win the PL) for 1 year and real competition should have been considered this summer.

I also kinda agree with a backup CB but I'd argue the real problem are in other positions and don't mind waiting for another season. We've got 3 good options and Gomez function as a wildcard.

Agree with all that. It’s the letting go of fringe players that has surprised me too. Once the domestic cups and CL kick in then - just as it was last season for you - I can see it really causing you to tail off. And then, if Trent, VVD and Salah walk next summer - that’s when the real problems start.

A brilliant signing, i think he will surprise some people at how good he really is

I feel that this is the kind of signing United would have done under Woodward.

A past his best, injury-prone player that can still turn it on in the odd match.

I predict he will hit the ground running for them, to which they will proclaim 'we're the smartest/ best at transfers la'. Then he will succumb to the intensity of the league and we'll see him in fleeting appearances.

If they use him as a super sub, then it will probably pay off for them.

:lol:

Well no I’m not shocked. I suspected it would be that or struggling to adapt. Another Arthur type signing?
I hope not. Arthur Looked completely indifferent for us and out of his depth. Chiesa at least looks like he really wants this.

Signed on his form over 4 years ago to provide backup to the fittest player in their squad who is never injured. It was doomed from the start.

Low risk signing but disappointed for him. Seemed like he really wanted to play for us. Might get something out of him eventually but I’m not optimistic.

With his unfortunate injury record I expected us to make a move for him.
Dodged a bullet..while getting hit by 3,4 others.