Federico Chiesa | Liverpool agree initial 13m (Euros) fee

No. We dropped the ball on Zubimendi. That should have been wrapped up early. We used to get these deals done under the radar and quickly. The team will be fine up front and in the back but like everyone knows, an injury in the midfield could derail us unless everyone else steps up. I don’t know what it is but I believe we are going to have a really good season though.

Is this a much famed Michael Edwards signing?

No. We dropped the ball on Zubimendi. That should have been wrapped up early. We used to get these deals done under the radar and quickly. The team will be fine up front and in the back but like everyone knows, an injury in the midfield could derail us unless everyone else steps up. I don’t know what it is but I believe we are going to have a really good season though.
We apparently got verbal confirmation from him that he wanted to join and when things got public right before it should've been concluded, he changed his mind. Not sure how that's on us to be honest.

You’re all massively underrating Chiesa imo. He is class.

In what way? I don't think anybody disagrees on his quality at his peak, but it seems with injuries he's far from that player anymore...

I don't see how a player who appears to have trouble staying fit as much as he does will fair moving to the most physicality demanding league in the world in a team that play with a high-energy press.

Seems destined to fail, but we'll see... worth a gamble I guess for the £11m fee, the 4-year contract less so but it seems his wages are pretty reasonable.

Financially this isn't much of a gamble for them even if he's shite/always injured, but I can guarantee this place would be having kittens about us signing a perma-crocked, Juve cast-off had we signed him.

Financially this isn't much of a gamble for them even if he's shite/always injured, but I can guarantee this place would be having kittens about us signing a perma-crocked, Juve cast-off had we signed him.
Is he rally perma-crocked though? I read yesterday that he missed like 5 games last season, and everything in the two seasons before that was related to his ACL issues if I'm not mistaken. Just seems like one injury derailed his career after that Euro 2020 breakout.

A bit of Thiago / Arthur Melo vibes this one, but we'll see I guess. Won't be the worst thing in the world if he doesn't succeed, and hopefully a new start in a new country can kickstart his career again for him personally.

Is he rally perma-crocked though? I read yesterday that he missed like 5 games last season, and everything in the two seasons before that was related to his ACL issues if I'm not mistaken. Just seems like one injury derailed his career after that Euro 2020 breakout.

A bit of Thiago / Arthur Melo vibes this one, but we'll see I guess. Won't be the worst thing in the world if he doesn't succeed, and hopefully a new start in a new country can kickstart his career again for him personally.

I meant perma-crocked in the sense that he's not recovering from the ACL back to the player he was.

I read earlier that they've let him go because he can't press properly after the injury, which makes him an odd choice for Liverpool/the Premier League in general.

I meant perma-crocked in the sense that he's not recovering from the ACL back to the player he was.

I read earlier that they've let him go because he can't press properly after the injury, which makes him an odd choice for Liverpool/the Premier League in general.
It's not unusual for a player to only get back to previous levels 2 years after an ACL, you see that a lot in the NFL as well. Not saying he will of course, but even if he lost a step he might still be a valuable addition. We'll see, no idea really what to expect.

their front line compared to ours....just disgusting the gulf in quality

mate...Diaz is better than anything we have

Diaz is a greedy ballhog who is already at his peak. Chiesa is done. Look at the fee and who is selling him. This is pulling the wool over the supports eyes and it’s working.

The only elite one is Salah and he's leaving for free next summer.
The others are all fighting for 2 positions. Nunez is a mascot.
Liverpool scored 142 goals last season in all competitions. That’s 54 more goals than United last season. Chiesa adds to this, but he’s not carrying the hopes of the side as goals aren’t the concern.

It suggests that the notion of having a frontline of genuinely ‘elite’ forwards is possibly both unlikely and unnecessary. However, I concede that Klopp was excellent in coaching sides that scored a lot of goals. That’s Slot’s challenge given the slower approach he’s showcasing so far.

With one ‘killer’ and a handful of good goalscorers Liverpool probably have better options than virtually every squad in the country. Not necessarily the very best attackers but accumulatively a strong set of options.

I think one of Ferguson’s great tricks as manager was to ensure goals were available across his attacking players. Not all elite strikers, but gathering a host of attacking options to win games even when everything wasn’t clicking.

Liverpool scored 142 goals last season in all competitions. That’s 54 more goals than United last season. Chiesa adds to this, but he’s not carrying the hopes of the side as goals aren’t the concern.

It suggests that the notion of having a frontline of genuinely ‘elite’ forwards is possibly both unlikely and unnecessary. However, I concede that Klopp was excellent in coaching sides that scored a lot of goals. That’s Slot’s challenge given the slower approach he’s showcasing so far.

With one ‘killer’ and a handful of good goalscorers Liverpool probably have better options than virtually every squad in the country. Not necessarily the very best attackers but accumulatively a strong set of options.

I think one of Ferguson’s great tricks as manager was to ensure goals were available across his attacking players. Not all elite strikers, but gathering a host of attacking options to win games even when everything wasn’t clicking.
It’s a zero sum game though, I don’t see how Chiesa “adds to” your 142 goals from last season when he scores less than every one he could take minutes from.

It’s a zero sum game though, I don’t see how Chiesa “adds to” your 142 goals from last season when he scores less than every one he could take minutes from.
The Champions League is a factor this season so rotating players in and out will be a challenge that wasn’t there last season (Europa obviously not the same rigour). Furthermore, the CL looks more burdensome this season, which I think is the key to this transfer. 8 hard CL games before Christmas guaranteed - no dead rubbers after Game 4/5.

While last season demonstrates where goals are in Liverpool’s squad, the comparison becomes less useful when comparing intensity. I’m not sure people are quite ready for the shift the CL has taken.

If they get the player from before his big injury, this is a bargain of historical proportions. That seems fairly unlikely though, so it'll be interesting to see how he slots in with the explosiveness that made him so dangerous before.

Still, this is a cheap punt with a really high potential upside, I see very little wrong with it as a signing.

If they get the player from before his big injury, this is a bargain of historical proportions. That seems fairly unlikely though, so it'll be interesting to see how he slots in with the explosiveness that made him so dangerous before.

Still, this is a cheap punt with a really high potential upside, I see very little wrong with it as a signing.
Same. Even if he fails it's still a 13m euros fee. Have to say I'd be really happy it if United bought him.

For the price, he's an absolute steal, even with the injuries. Could be the value signing of the season by some distance.

Great post and sums up what a lot of people misunderstand about football. While it's great to get one or two top level players in, it's actually far better to have a collection of players that provide different attributes. With the latter you have a far better chance of changing your approach in order to get a result from a game.

Used to watch this guy at Fiorentina. We felt he'd be a superstar but Juve have a thing of destroying people with dour football. This is a great move for him and I'm actually gutted he's gone to a club I can't support him at. Same as Mamardashvili.

He's better than Sancho and Antony and cost 13m.
He got better as the season went on last year, well worth the gamble to see if he can get back to near his best

It's not unusual for a player to only get back to previous levels 2 years after an ACL, you see that a lot in the NFL as well. Not saying he will of course, but even if he lost a step he might still be a valuable addition. We'll see, no idea really what to expect.

That's why I said it's not really a gamble.

He's dirt cheap, and relatively young so may yet re-find his form.

If he can't, then you've not really lost out on anything other than whatever minutes you give him.

Our first number 14 since Alonso left in 2009. He’s no Vegard Heggem though.

I think he’ll do well there for me to dislike him and i love watching him play for Italy. He has an excellent mentality and never stops trying even when things don’t go his way on the pitch like Eden Hazard

Do Liverpool have no money?

It just seems odd that their only signing is a cheap opportunistic one, rather than anything of substance for the future of the squad.

Great post and sums up what a lot of people misunderstand about football. While it's great to get one or two top level players in, it's actually far better to have a collection of players that provide different attributes. With the latter you have a far better chance of changing your approach in order to get a result from a game.
What is your point? Most people admit that manager is by far the single most important position in a football club.

Quality player. Great technique. He's coming to Liverpool to replace Nunez. Slot doesn't like Nunez.

If Chiesa stays fit, he’ll ball out for Pool. That guy is a proper baller.

This could easily be the deal of the summer.

Last edited: