F1 2024 Season

x5UhIlk.png

Jesus this angle at the start. I know they give extra latitude on the first lap, but that's to avoid punishing mistakes in the heat of wheel to wheel when there's chaos and a tiny error can have huge consequences. Taking this line into a corner is not the intent of that.

Second practice in Mexico extended to 90 minutes​

This weekend’s race takes place at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City, with the teams set to use the C3, C4 and C5 compounds as Pirelli is bringing a step softer compounds for this year’s race.

But, with an eye looking ahead to F1 2025, the opening day of practice will see the teams set loose on the Autodromo for a longer 90-minute second practice session, with FP2 being dedicated to validating the new soft compounds in Pirelli’s range.

These will be the C4, C5, and C6 compounds, which will be utilised throughout the “in-competition test”.

This sees the practice session become a dedicated test with all the drivers required to follow a specific programme outlined by Pirelli engineers, rather than the teams.

Aside from the usual tyre allocation of 12 sets for the Grand Prix weekend, each driver will be given two additional sets of tyres – one an additional compound from the existing range as a baseline reference, and another being from the F1 2025 prototype range – differing in construction and compound from its 2024 counterpart.
These two sets will be identifiable as they will run without the usual sidewall markings.

Pirelli has confirmed the programme will consist of a performance run and a long run, and every team will run the same number of laps with equal levels of fuel onboard.

However, an added complication is that several teams are running with junior drivers in FP1 in order to conform with the FIA’s requirement that each team hands over two sessions throughout the year to a rookie.

With Mexico being one of the final opportunities of the year, several teams are doing so and, as a result, the regular race drivers climbing back into their cars for the FP2 test will be allowed to break away from Pirelli testing after 60 minutes in order to resume their usual data gathering. These drivers will be given an additional set of medium compound tyres for this 30-minute portion.

x5UhIlk.png

Jesus this angle at the start. I know they give extra latitude on the first lap, but that's to avoid punishing mistakes in the heat of wheel to wheel when there's chaos and a tiny error can have huge consequences. Taking this line into a corner is not the intent of that.
Max always aims to cover the entire track by being ahead at the apex and then shutting the other one out wide. Going next to the track is the logical next step. I don't blame him, he plays to the rules, and the FIA have made it abundantly clear that Max is allowed to do this.

OK so the discussion about gravel has made me think the question "is f1 now almost too sterile?"

Obviously disclaimer we do NOT want people to die!!

But Austin was the first time we had an sc in something like 9 races

They were a regular thing in the 90s

Are the drivers way better? The cars easier to drive? Too many sterile tracks with run offs not gravel? Something else?

Again I don't want people to die before anyone thinks that!!
Yes, with the caveat that it’s the same for every sport. I almost never sit down to watch a non-United game anymore, I find football tedious and boring at higher levels. Rugby can be ruined with one slightly mistimed tackle, rending the whole game pointless. I’m sure there’s lot of examples in other sports.

Max always aims to cover the entire track by being ahead at the apex and then shutting the other one out wide. Going next to the track is the logical next step. I don't blame him, he plays to the rules, and the FIA have made it abundantly clear that Max is allowed to do this.
shame because it just makes him look like a limited driver. contrast how he defends by just braking too late and blocking off the track to someone like alonso.

shame because it just makes him look like a limited driver. contrast how he defends by just braking too late and blocking off the track to someone like alonso.
It is a shame because it's a waste of a talented generation. This is one of the few ways to overtake now (if the marshals let you), DRS being the other (usually used along side it). Normal racing overtakes, hanging on to it on the outside, switching up on a set of corners, faking outside then going inside, have been designed out of formula 1 at this point (long list of reasons but too large cars and no refueling are the culprits I blame most).

Max is a great driver. Norris, Charles and now Piastri have shown they may have the ability to go toe to toe with him. F1 is swimming in cash and is attracting some of the best engineering. We should have great racing. What we do get is turd.

I don't blame Max at all for any of it, he's racing to the ruleset, the FIA made a rod for their own back when they didn't appropriately adjust the ruleset. He might be the most hypocritical driver I have ever seen when it comes to these things but he's going to be a 4 time WDC soon, it works.

Do I like that type of racing? Absolutely not, we have a new generation of drivers coming through that will ultimately lower the quality of racing simply because the rules have forced them to race in a certain way to achieve results. It's no longer about being last of the late brakers, it's about having mastery of the radio and politics in the background. Red Bull are absolute masters of gaming the system too, be interesting to see how they evolve once Helmut and Horner aren't there.

I don't blame Max at all for any of it, he's racing to the ruleset, the FIA made a rod for their own back when they didn't appropriately adjust the ruleset. He might be the most hypocritical driver I have ever seen when it comes to these things but he's going to be a 4 time WDC soon, it works.

Do I like that type of racing? Absolutely not, we have a new generation of drivers coming through that will ultimately lower the quality of racing simply because the rules have forced them to race in a certain way to achieve results. It's no longer about being last of the late brakers, it's about having mastery of the radio and politics in the background. Red Bull are absolute masters of gaming the system too, be interesting to see how they evolve once Helmut and Horner aren't there.
Thing is, they're not. Nothing they do is particularly clever, they follow a very simple playbook, which is very similar to the Republican/Trump way: say what fits the current situation, ignore/retcon things you've said before that contradicts what you're saying now and if all else fails just make something up and stick to it (e.g. "any doesn't mean all"). Their fans lap it up and their detractors pull their hair out. Its not genius.

Thing is, they're not. Nothing they do is particularly clever, they follow a very simple playbook, which is very similar to the Republican/Trump way: say what fits the current situation, ignore/retcon things you've said before that contradicts what you're saying now and if all else fails just make something up and stick to it (e.g. "any doesn't mean all"). Their fans lap it up and their detractors pull their hair out. Its not genius.
Eh? :lol:

I think you just proved it is.

I think you just proved it is.
Sorry, if you think one weekend saying "You have to leave space" then the weekend after saying "You don't have to leave space" is genius then I can't really help. It works on their fans it doesn't mean its genius. There's a huge difference.

Sorry, if you think one weekend saying "You have to leave space" then the weekend after saying "You don't have to leave space" is genius then I can't really help. It works on their fans it doesn't mean its genius. There's a huge difference.
Your "leave the space" argument is everything to do with the rules. You act like it's clear when you have to leave space when there's a 1000 variables to it. Tiny variances can be the difference between getting a penalty or not. Oh your wheel is 1 cm further back than the other at the apex? Penalty. Oh it's 1 cm in front? That's fine then. You're the one overtaking and not leaving space? Penalty. You're the one defending and not leaving space? Carry on. To add to it, it varies from steward to steward as well. It's infuriating. Plus, all teams defend their drivers and try to influence the stewards with their politics on the radio and in interviews. Let's not pretend that it's only Red Bull that try to portray situations in their favour. I can't think of any team that don't. So you can portray Red Bull like they're the devil and that the other teams are holy but I think that's bollocks :)

It works on the FIA, that's the important bit.

Your "leave the space" argument is everything to do with the rules. You act like it's clear when you have to leave space when there's a 1000 variables to it. Tiny variances can be the difference between getting a penalty or not. Oh your wheel is 1 cm further back than the other at the apex? Penalty. Oh it's 1 cm in front? That's fine then. You're the one overtaking and not leaving space? Penalty. You're the one defending and not leaving space? Carry on. To add to it, it varies from steward to steward as well. It's infuriating. Plus, all teams defend their drivers and try to influence the stewards with their politics on the radio and in interviews. Let's not pretend that it's only Red Bull that try to portray situations in their favour. I can't think of any team that don't. So you can portray Red Bull like they're the devil and that the other teams are holy but I think that's bollocks :)
What are you talking about? I'm not debating the intricacies of every decision, I'm saying Red Bull demonstrably change their position based on what happens on the day. Remember when Christian Horner was the biggest advocate of "let them race" because being aggressive suited Max in the battle against Lewis, but then any time someone is aggressive on Max he's the first on the radio asking for penalties. I'm not saying other teams don't do it, I'm saying Red Bull and Max are the worst at changing their position race to race to suit. My original point was this isn't "genius", anyone can say whatever they want on the day if they don't care about contradicting themselves. What Red Bull are the masters at is being shameless.

Also, I replying to a post disagreeing with the statement "Red Bull are absolute masters of gaming the system", so appologies that I didn't bring every other team in when arguing a position against a single team.

f1 quiz question. if one of these cars ends up getting a penalty, which one?

IMG-1816.jpg

What are you talking about? I'm not debating the intricacies of every decision, I'm saying Red Bull demonstrably change their position based on what happens on the day. Remember when Christian Horner was the biggest advocate of "let them race" because being aggressive suited Max in the battle against Lewis, but then any time someone is aggressive on Max he's the first on the radio asking for penalties. I'm not saying other teams don't do it, I'm saying Red Bull and Max are the worst at changing their position race to race to suit. My original point was this isn't "genius", anyone can say whatever they want on the day if they don't care about contradicting themselves. What Red Bull are the masters at is being shameless.

Also, I replying to a post disagreeing with the statement "Red Bull are absolute masters of gaming the system", so appologies that I didn't bring every other team in when arguing a position against a single team.

They probably are fans of let them race but the FIA stewards and the ruleset are clearly not. So what do you expect them to do? Not ask for a penalty even though that's the rules just because you disagree with the rules? That only works if everyone does it and nobody does. Is that shameless?

I have no idea if this anything other than wold rumour, but it would make for a spectacular one off event.
https://scuderiafans.com/2025-f1-car-launch-a-revolution-approaching-for-official-presentation/
Its been reported elsewhere before and it seems like something right up their alley. At the same time, we ll probably be even less likely to see anything unique about the designs of the cars and it will truly he just a livery presentation. Or alternatively teams will present something completely outrageous for PR alone instead of anything remotely realistic. They seem to truly want to drive away the drivers who are only in it for the racing and go full WWE. Just look at the media machine around Colapinto right now.

If Liberty could clone drivers of the past they d be more likely to want to clone a James Hunt than a Nikki Lauda.

Its been reported elsewhere before and it seems like something right up their alley. At the same time, we ll probably be even less likely to see anything unique about the designs of the cars and it will truly he just a livery presentation. Or alternatively teams will present something completely outrageous for PR alone instead of anything remotely realistic. They seem to truly want to drive away the drivers who are only in it for the racing and go full WWE. Just look at the media machine around Colapinto right now.

If Liberty could clone drivers of the past they d be more likely to want to clone a James Hunt than a Nikki Lauda.
Now that would be something to see, both in their prime driving todays cars WOW

So Norris now needs to beat Max by 11 points per remaining race weekend to win the title by one point.

And obviously any weekend he fails to do this that number increases.

So if he gains 8 points in Max this weekend he would then need around 12 points per weekend.

Going to be a big ask and basic requires Norris and McLaren to be perfect and Ferrari and Merc to then beat Max.

Not impossible but getting less likely for sure.

If Max beats Norris in another 2 of the remaining 5 weekends then that's it over i would guess

So Norris now needs to beat Max by 11 points per remaining race weekend to win the title by one point.

And obviously any weekend he fails to do this that number increases.

So if he gains 8 points in Max this weekend he would then need around 12 points per weekend.

Going to be a big ask and basic requires Norris and McLaren to be perfect and Ferrari and Merc to then beat Max.

Not impossible but getting less likely for sure.

If Max beats Norris in another 2 of the remaining 5 weekends then that's it over i would guess
Are people still deluded enough to think Norris has any chance at all? Max could go to the beach for the next two GP, come back, still be in the lead of the WDC, not win a race again this season and become champion by a country mile.

Norris has not really had a realistic chance all season. No one has ever overcome the points advantage max had after the first five races over him. He's never been favourite for the wdc.

The hope is that the second half of this season continues into next year and we get a genuine title battle because it's been wdc dominance for three years now.

Are people still deluded enough to think Norris has any chance at all? Max could go to the beach for the next two GP, come back, still be in the lead of the WDC, not win a race again this season and become champion by a country mile.

There's a chance but it's extremely small at this point and requires too much to go Norris's way

Norris has not really had a realistic chance all season. No one has ever overcome the points advantage max had after the first five races over him. He's never been favourite for the wdc.

The hope is that the second half of this season continues into next year and we get a genuine title battle because it's been wdc dominance for three years now.

Another driver in that car like Max or Lewis would have been ahead by now imo

Norris has not really had a realistic chance all season. No one has ever overcome the points advantage max had after the first five races over him.
This. There has been no chance at all with him.

Norris’ point swing that he needed would have been the second biggest in F1 history second to Raikonnen 17 years ago. Raikonnen was the last and that was as a result of McLaren infighting.

This. There has been no chance at all with him.

Norris’ point swing that he needed would have been the second biggest in F1 history second to Raikonnen 17 years ago. Raikonnen was the last and that was as a result of McLaren infighting.

feck me that was 17 years ago :o

McLaren trying to appeal Norris' penalty. Seems the spotlight and pressure is already crushing Brown and Stella's brains. Between that and Stella crying about psychological warfare because Ferrari and RB dared to complain about their clearly illegal rear wing.

I dont know what new evidence they think they're going to produce that the stewards didnt already have access to. They already noted Max went off the track and reduced Norris' penalty accordingly.