F1 2024 Season

A race without Ferrari feck up. What sorcery is this?

Now watch them having below minimum fuel or smth.

Meh, don't know about that penalty. Probably correct looking at the rulebook but Max defended hard as well. Could see them appealing this.

That’s a bullshit call from the stewards there.
Did you not see the crap penalty for Russell earlier? It's a F1 problem they have had for a long time. Different stewards, different calls on penalties.

That was some great racing by Max and Norris.

That penalty though. By the rule book, I guess it is. But what is Norris meant to do there? It just means the guy on the inside can push the person off and not give them space and the person on the outside has to go behind.

But perhaps that’s where the apex thing comes in.

I dunno, it’s a funny one.

Definitely Norris should have given it back and he would have been able to get past you feel in the next 3 laps. No need to risk it really.

That was some great racing by Max and Norris.

That penalty though. By the rule book, I guess it is. But what is Norris meant to do there? It just means the guy on the inside can push the person off and not give them space and the person on the outside has to go behind.

But perhaps that’s where the apex thing comes in.

I dunno, it’s a funny one.
max keeps the car in the track limits then it’s a no brainer, the fact he didn’t makes it a lot more grey.

Verstappen was definitely off the track too. Don't know how it's fair to penalize Norris for that

That was the best defending Max has done since Brazil 2021. Norris should have made easy work of that pass.

Real story is the Ferrari have the fastest car on a proper race track and might win the constructors.
This is true. Absolute masterclass in defending from Max but still Norris had such a huge advantage it was really poor driving for him not to capitalize on it.

That penalty really just sets a tone that you're allowed to go off the track to defend, but I guess we already realised that with Brazil 2021 anyway.
Had Max stayed on the track, then fair play, but he did not.

Bin Sulayem having to grab Leclerc just so he can get his airtime and feel like he’s important with a handshake.

Enjoyed that, good track, good racing.

Lewis sounded so dejected. At least he's got Melbourne to look forward to.

Not try to hang on round the outside, do a switchback. Get the better exit. Get alongside Max or past him through the next section.
I think the thing that makes it slightly grey here is that Norris would have been ahead at the apex, had Max not slammed his breaks late and run wide himself. And if Norris was ahead at the apex then I believe he wouldn’t have gotten a penalty.

It’s just a weird one. But either way still think Norris could have easily just given it back and got past him cleanly later. He had such a pace advantage.

If Lando didn't go off the track, he would have crashed into Max, who until then had defended brilliantly. Shame he always does something like that that takes away from what was excellent driving

So in the end Max kept the position running wide, 5 seconds for gaining an advantage ?

Definitely Norris should have given it back and he would have been able to get past you feel in the next 3 laps. No need to risk it really.
Team didn’t help with the “ahead at the apex” comment, personally if it’s 50/50 I would tell him to give it back and have another crack.

Ferrari 1-2! Get in.

As for the Lando penalty I guess it's correct by the book but still sad to see it go that way after so many laps of brilliant driving from them both.

The Swedish commentators were spot on though when they asked why they haven't added a gravel pit on the outside of corner 12. It's worked so well at other tracks and they know those incidents happens multiple times per race here yet they still keep it this way.

Perhaps we need more gravel traps so people are properly punished for exceeding track limits?

Austin is a great track but what would make it even better is smoothing out the apex of turn 12 and putting some gravel on the outside to stop any more of that 'two cars running wide' while fighting business.
Gravel after the fastest and top speed straight and a deep braking zone? One lock up and there will be problems. It’s that type of set up as to why they moved to run off areas.

The stewards just need to police this issue better where cars are forcing cars out wide for no reason. They apparently did so with Russell but that was the only one they saw an issue with, not even the lap one incident at 12.

A masterclass in defending by Max, top quality racing. Ferrari one-two was great to see also. The sprint race was great as well. Overall a brilliant race weekend. Formula 1 did itself proud this weekend

Team didn’t help with the “ahead at the apex” comment, personally if it’s 50/50 I would tell him to give it back and have another crack.
As a team they make a lot of mistakes. You only have to look at the daftness of Russell's penalty to know, today the stewards are not going to be lenient and allow racers to race. Therefore that move should have been immediately, given the place back. Go again at him, you have a few more laps.

Also McLaren deciding not to bring the floor upgrade to this GP was a big mistake. It's as if they want the constructors title, but don't want lando to be their WDC, they would prefer Piastri.

Lando doesn't help himself, too many mistakes.

Derek Warwick was one of the stewards today, he's fecking awful as a steward. Explains the bizarre decisions.