F1 2024 Season

KGobGxwl.jpg

Can someone please explain how AM Flexi-wing was illegal?
There's nothing official out there, but it looks like their wing failed the load tests. Even looking at videos of Monza for McLaren and Mercedes compared to Bahrain last year, the AM flex is considerable under load.

No idea how much truth is in this. Max Verstappen reportedly ‘wants to leave Red Bull’ with drastic action not ruled out – rumours:

- Max Verstappen is rumored to want to leave Red Bull as soon as possible, with some reports suggesting he may even take a sabbatical to explore his future options. Despite his dominant run since 2021, Verstappen’s frustration with Red Bull’s recent struggles has fueled speculation about his next move.

- While Verstappen holds a 62-point lead over Lando Norris in the Drivers' standings, he is experiencing his longest victory drought since 2020, with no wins in the last six races. This mid-season slump has intensified rumors about his future, despite his contract with Red Bull lasting until 2028.

- A report from Swiss-German newspaper Blick claims Verstappen's relationship with team principal Christian Horner has deteriorated. Their bond reportedly weakened after the departure of key figures like Adrian Newey and Jonathan Wheatley. Verstappen’s camp has already agreed that he will not complete the contract, looking for an exit sooner.

- Concerns about Red Bull’s 2026 in-house engine project, which has "many question marks," are also contributing to Verstappen’s uncertainty. It is speculated that the Dutch driver is keen to leave, but with limited top-tier options available, a sabbatical may be a serious consideration.

- Mercedes had been linked with Verstappen following Lewis Hamilton’s move to Ferrari for 2025, but the recent promotion of Andrea Kimi Antonelli and George Russell’s contract until the end of 2025 could complicate Verstappen’s chances of joining the Silver Arrows.

- Verstappen has previously expressed a desire to retire young due to the intense demands of the F1 schedule. If Red Bull's struggles persist, Verstappen might choose to walk away sooner than expected, either temporarily or permanently

VIA: [PLANET F1: https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-verstappen-wants-leave-red-bull-action]

Don't believe it for a second but the idea of verstappen rage quitting because he hasn't won in six races after two and a half years of an insanely dominant car would be hilarious.

Can imagine life at Red Bull isn't great with how things are going both on track and off. So many top people have left because of it it's no wonder Max is considering his future. I would if I were him. But these rumours seem like they are just speculation based on this plus the fact that he's said he doesn't see himself racing in F1 forever and he has other things he wants to do like endurance racing. We'll see if there's anything to it soon enough.

Don't believe it for a second but the idea of verstappen rage quitting because he hasn't won in six races after two and a half years of an insanely dominant car would be hilarious.

It would, and yet it's also the only way he'd get a chance to reflect on himself and his life and stand a fighting chance of becoming a decent person. Horner is a cancer, albeit not the only one at Red Bull - when you see what a great person Vettel became after leaving I would wish the same for Verstappen.

It would, and yet it's also the only way he'd get a chance to reflect on himself and his life and stand a fighting chance of becoming a decent person. Horner is a cancer, albeit not the only one at Red Bull - when you see what a great person Vettel became after leaving I would wish the same for Verstappen.

Horner + Helmut = Toxic Environment

I think he will become more likeable at a team like Mercedes.

Imagine throwing your toys out of the pram because you haven't won in six races (while actually leading the WDC). I know it's Max and everything but still is total BS.

Last edited:
Imagine throwing your toys out of the pram because you haven't one in six races (while actually leading the WDC). I know it's Max and everything but still is total BS.
That’s just all we can observe, not necessarily the whole story.

I might be good at my job, the company might be doing well but I still might not like my colleagues, management, atmosphere etc.

That’s just all we can observe, not necessarily the whole story.

I might be good at my job, the company might be doing well but I still might not like my colleagues, management, atmosphere etc.
While that might be true for the other team members in F1, but from the drivers POV it is not similar to a corporate position.

Hitech GP, whose bid to join the F1 grid in 2026 was rejected in the first phase, has initiated legal action, claiming the exclusion was unfair. The team's founder, Oliver Oakes, stated that Hitech turned to exclusion lawyers in response to the decision.
The FIA is facing potential financial repercussions as Hitech challenges the decision. The exclusion, reportedly for financial reasons, is argued by Hitech to be beyond the FIA’s authority, as commercial decisions fall under Liberty Media's responsibility.
The FIA has opted for arbitration rather than traditional litigation. A "third" arbitrator has reportedly sided with Hitech, and a further assessment of damages is set for September 16.
Oakes, who took control of Hitech after Dmitry Mazepin's exit following EU sanctions, has argued that his offer was superior to Andretti's. However, Andretti's bid made it to the second phase, where it was ultimately rejected by Liberty Media.

Nothing bizarre about it, quite logical if anything. Honda engine from 2026, Fallows and Alessi already part of the team there, new factory and investment in technology. Local to his current base.
He also collaborated with them when they were name sponsor for Red Bull on the Valkyrie. If I recall correctly there were a few articles about him wanting to do more projects like that (which lead to the RB17 hypercar) around the same time the articles about him being less hands on for Red Bull F1 designs. That collaboration might've given Aston Martin a favourable position, especially when Ferrari talks ended.

But as you allude, Aston Martin sending every possible signal that they have ambitions in F1 must've been a big factor.

Newey to AM , is a massive statement by AM that they want a world title, the question is can they win one ?
It cant have been just for the money, AM must have given him something that he saw and though yeah this is the place for me.
2026 is going to be a big year for them, a Newey car and a Honda engine, but who will be driving for them, Stroll will never ever be in a position to win one , no matter what car he is in, but with daddy bankroling the team, he is going nowhere.
I have read that in 2026, one from either Carlos Sainz, Yuki Tsunoda and Lando Norris could be driving for them.
There is Alosno , coud be still be there ? In 2018, working with a Honda power unit was enough to push Alonso into an early retirement with the Spaniard famously calling it a “GP2 engine”

Adrian Newey apparently going from 9m per year at Red Bull, to 30m per year at Aston Martin.
Completely bonkers. Based on some comments from other team bosses like Fred though it implies most teams didn't want to give him completely full reign. Which is reasonable. Newey may be a legend but to upset your entire team structure for it is another. It takes a certain level of desperation which AM clearly must have by now. I feel almost nothing for AM as a team with the Strolls there, though I can appreciate they revived a legendary name.

I have read that in 2026, one from either Carlos Sainz, Yuki Tsunoda and Lando Norris could be driving for them.
There is Alosno , coud be still be there ? In 2018, working with a Honda power unit was enough to push Alonso into an early retirement with the Spaniard famously calling it a “GP2 engine”
Sainz has a contract for Williams in 2026, so that door is closed. Norris won't leave McLaren, nor do I think Aston Martin want him as a driver given past history. Tsunoda and Honda appears the most likely tie up if a seat becomes spare alongside Alonso.

I only follow F1 very casually but I was under the impression Hamilton was going to Ferrari because Newey was likely joining him there (god knows when this info came from, possibly March/April?)

Is that completely bogus information or was he possibly going there until Aston Martin pulled out silly bugger money?

I only follow F1 very casually but I was under the impression Hamilton was going to Ferrari because Newey was likely joining him there (god knows when this info came from, possibly March/April?)

Is that completely bogus information or was he possibly going there until Aston Martin pulled out silly bugger money?

Rumour has it that Newey wanted near full control and wasnt willing to move full time to Italy. Ferrari werent willing to cede full control and its not a job that be done remotely apparentaly.

Rumour has it that Newey wanted near full control and wasnt willing to move full time to Italy. Ferrari werent willing to cede full control and its not a job that be done remotely apparentaly.
And the chance Hamilton made his decision on that assumption?

Unlikely he based it on that. Probably based more on a lack of faith at Mercs considering their design issues in recent years and the rumour that Ferrari are supposed to have a rocket engine for 2026. Allure of Ferrari and contract probably played a bigger part.

Would have been a pretty huge risk for him to join Ferrari based on the (at the time) remote possibilty Newey only may join.

I know he was grinning etc when the stories about it circulated making it seem like that was something he looked forward to. At the same time I like to think someone would have made it clear that there are zero guarantees. Ferrari clearly was talking to Newey as well. Surely even he himself has been around long enough to know though that could collapse.

Sainz has a contract for Williams in 2026, so that door is closed. Norris won't leave McLaren, nor do I think Aston Martin want him as a driver given past history. Tsunoda and Honda appears the most likely tie up if a seat becomes spare alongside Alonso.
There is only going to be one seat, lets be honest Stroll Jnr is going nowhere.

There is only going to be one seat, lets be honest Stroll Jnr is going nowhere.
I agree, I don’t see Alonso/Stroll changing until 2027 at the earliest. Outside of the family connection, I just don’t think Aston will spare in the budget cap. The likeliest change would be driven from Honda who would financially support that, with Tsnoda as the prime candidate.

Reportedly most of their signings of senior staff has come with reduced salary and more stock options to ease the impact on the budget cap.

Listening to the conference it does sound like this is a move which was planning for both him designing but also when he retires from that process.

"..Managing Technical Partner..." Interesting position nomenclature.

Its amazing that Newey at 65 is going all in on a new project, and you gotta have faith in him. I think he'll be able to pull it off.
Also, its an amazing vote of confidence from Lawrence to make him a shareholder.

He'll be starting to lose his faculties by now, so probably a nothing appointment. A nice retirement bonus.

"..Managing Technical Partner..." Interesting position nomenclature.

Its amazing that Newey at 65 is going all in on a new project, and you gotta have faith in him. I think he'll be able to pull it off.
Also, its an amazing vote of confidence from Lawrence to make him a shareholder.
Managing partner just reflects his share holder position, which I've mentioned in a previous post is to get around some of the cost cap issues his salary will provide.

He'll be starting to lose his faculties by now, so probably a nothing appointment. A nice retirement bonus.
They've been saying that about Newey for the last decade and he still finds the success, the guy will get Aston Martin to the front.

It's exceedingly more likely Alonso goes than Stroll.

Though Newey is supposedly a big fan, it might be a too late for Alonso this. Should have made that move to Red Bull all those years back.

Though Newey is supposedly a big fan, it might be a too late for Alonso this. Should have made that move to Red Bull all those years back.

He would have fallen out with his reflection in a can of Red Bull by the 3rd race of the season.

If the dude was in his 80s id buy that but i know plenty of 60 and even 70 year olds these days who are sharper than their much younger coworkers. Obviously not everyone is that lucky, but I doubt he's missing much of a beat.

Really hope Alonso sticks around for Newey to deliver him a potential WDC winning car. He deserves another drivers title or two.

If they have real aspirations of being a top team then they will have to get rid of him. He is a worse driver than Perez and would hold them back massively.