F1 2024 Season

I think he might , yes a win is a win but even Lewis won’t want a win like this
I don't doubt there will be a lot of insincere lamenting from Hamilton about exactly that. "I feel for George, not how I wanted it do go down, etc.". But in reality he will be thrilled.

I don't follow F1 much these days but why don't they weigh the cars before the formation lap?

As far as I know there is no refueling anymore and if nobody has replaced a wing or something like that why do it at the end?

It's hard to understand how he finished under weight when he spent half of the race in tyre management mode saying fuel too. If it's the case then it's possible they knew and wanted to cheat their way to the best place.

Car needs to be drained and there’s no in lap at Spa, so can’t pick up rubber. I think Mercedes didn’t think George would be on the podium, played fast and loose with their calcs and now have been pinged because he won.

I need to find out more but I noticed when Lewis/Leclerc got pinged for plank wear at Austin a while back, not all the cars are scrutineered to the same extent post race.
This is the most logical reason i can see due to the lack of in lap. Pretty amateurish by Mercedes.

DQ confirmed. Gutting for Russell who did a hell of a stint, poor by Mercedes who didn’t do their calcs right.

Awful news for George but you simply can't run a car underweight and win a race. Heads should roll at Mercedes after this. Embarrassing.

Well done Lewis

he shouldn’t have been up until 3am having his software upgraded.

DQ confirmed. Gutting for Russell who did a hell of a stint, poor by Mercedes who didn’t do their calcs right.
It’s not really gutting when you remember he’s a pompous twat though is it?

You know what’s bizarre, Merc letting their drivers race at the end. If they knew George was underweight and say both drivers clashed or George backed Hamilton into Piastri, they would have gladly cost Lewis the win for absolutely no benefit.

Don't get the Russell hate, seems like a good lad to me. Disappointed for him.

Luckily I like Lewis more though, so ...

George and Mercedes costing me the lead, useless awful cheating bastard team.

Technical delegate's report

"After the Race, car number 63 [Russell] was weighed and its weight was 798.0 kg, which is the minimum weight required by TR Article 4.1.

"After this, fuel was drained out of the car and 2.8 litres of fuel were removed. The car was not fully drained according to the draining procedure submitted by the team in their legality documents as TR Article 6.5.2 is fulfilled.

"The car was weighed again on the FIA inside and outside scales and the weight was 796.5 kg.

"The calibration of the outside and inside scales was confirmed and witnessed by the competitor. As this is 1.5 kg below the minimum weight requested in TR Article 4.1, which also has to be respected at all times during the Competition, I am referring this matter to the Stewards for their consideration."
That failure to drain the fuel properly sounds like Mercedes knew in advance the car would come in underweight, so it sounds to me like @ArmchairCritic is right - in that Mercedes were trying a trick here, on the assumption that Russell wouldn't be in a position where his care would be weighed.

Still funny though. What's the difference with Hamilton's car? Don't they drive largely the same setups?

That failure to drain the fuel properly sounds like Mercedes knew in advance the car would come in underweight, so it sounds to me like @ArmchairCritic is right - in that Mercedes were trying a trick here, on the assumption that Russell wouldn't be in a position where his care would be weighed.

Still funny though. What's the difference with Hamilton's car? Don't they drive largely the same setups?

Reminds me of the time years ago when a team was found to have a secret second fuel tank so when the car was “drained” it left an amount of fuel in there to trick the weight regs.

Think Button was part of it?

Or…it’s simply that the extra wear on the tyres from just one stop together with the lack of an in-lap to pick up rubber has made the crucial difference.

Or…it’s simply that the extra wear on the tyres from just one stop together with the lack of an in-lap to pick up rubber has made the crucial difference.

Yes, but it seems to have been two issues. The car was underweight but when initially presented it exactly matched the required weight because some fuel hadn’t been correctly drained. On the face of it, that seems a surprising coincidence of errors.

Reminds me of the time years ago when a team was found to have a secret second fuel tank so when the car was “drained” it left an amount of fuel in there to trick the weight regs.

Think Button was part of it?

BAR yeah they got chucked out for 2 races I seem to remember, 2005.

This does sound a bit dodgy from Mercedes.

Which they surely would have known, they check the wear rate after stops - they would have seen Lewis’ first set of hards and been able to calculate how much George’s tyres would wear by and if he could make it to the end - they’d want to calculate this to ensure his tyre wouldn’t give up. They know there’s no in lap for Spa too so they knew exactly how much weight they’d lose with no marbles. The fact they passed the first weight check right on the money because they didn’t drain the fuel as per the procedure and then the fact they stuck their hands up and said fair enough to the stewards straight after suggests they knew all along too.

I need more information from Mercedes because I’m making assumptions and from what I can see it suggests prior knowledge and makes the whole thing very odd. Especially when you factor in they were happy to let both their cars race at the end and risk a double DNF or their 2nd car getting jumped and ultimately lose the win. They very nearly compounded one massive error with another one.

Last edited:
BAR yeah they got chucked out for 2 races I seem to remember, 2005.

This does sound a bit dodgy from Mercedes.
It's also stupid though; such a small difference. But I suppose it could mean the difference between, say, 5th and 4th, if they anyway expected to end up outside the podium with Russell. But in that case, are they doing this regularly? Are all teams doing it? (Please tell me Haas aren't; I'd hate to think their results would be worse the past years if they hadn't been cheating.)

Just caught up with the race and the new of Russell's disqualification. Hahahaha.

Lando fecked up the start again. I don't think he will genuinely challenge max for the title. Him and the team in general just too many mistakes.

Honestly surprised RedBull ran such a huge rear wing on both cars.

Agree re Lando keep bodging the start, which then draws him back into positions he shouldn't be in

Wonder if Oscar is the potential future world title winner out of the 2

Don't get the Russell hate, seems like a good lad to me. Disappointed for him.

Luckily I like Lewis more though, so ...

Only Brits hate him from what I can see, nowhere on the internet I saw this kind of hate for him.

Lando acts like a twat far more, but no one seems to hate him, which is weird considering he comes from the same country. But we all know the real reason.

Just caught up with the race and the new of Russell's disqualification. Hahahaha.

Lando fecked up the start again. I don't think he will genuinely challenge max for the title. Him and the team in general just too many mistakes.

Honestly surprised RedBull ran such a huge rear wing on both cars.
Why are you laughing at his disqualification?

Just watched the highlights on C4, first time watching it on there, amazing race, great to see it so close up the front.

On another note C4 ad breaks towards the end of the race are really annoying, 3 of them in the last 12 - 15 laps or something like that.

Also I don't understand why sky wait until 7.25am the next day to show the full race replay, and at such a stupid time too.

Only Brits hate him from what I can see, nowhere on the internet I saw this kind of hate for him.

Lando acts like a twat far more, but no one seems to hate him, which is weird considering he comes from the same country. But we all know the real reason.

Whats the real reason?

Does anybody really hate Russell? Compare how people respond to him vs Verstappen for example. The stuff you see on Facebook is just mad. It's beyond compare really. With Russell it's just that he isn't very likeable. Hasn't got anything about him that really stands out. Not particularly nice or funny or anything really. I used to think he seemed a nice guy but then he joined Mercedes and instantly developed their special traits (like trying to feck other drivers over by whining about anything and everything, track limits in particular and usually when they're the ones actually doing it) and that was that really. Now I'm pretty indifferent about him.