F1 2024 Season

Because he has always done it and it has made no difference.

It's obviously a PR call to say he wont race that late again, nothing to do with performance. Just to save us all hearing idiots like Crofty bring it up a few dozen times every race from now on.

it’s not a pr call. they would have come out and defended him if they were happy with it. it’s basic, common courtesy that you expect from your employees. if you had surgery booked at 2pm, you wouldn’t be happy to discover your surgeon was up gaming until 3am. especially if he was cranky throughout the operation and ended up chopping off the wrong leg.

Nothing reckless about what Schumacher and Senna did. They were calculated moves. Max does it because he loses his cool.

So when Schumacher and Senna turn into other cars to deliberately take them out of the race, that's fine because they meant to.

When Max drives Lewis off the track in Brazil or tries to squeeze Lando in Austria, that's not calculated and so the bad type of aggression?

Clearly staying up late the night before a race is not a great look when you don’t win, if he was up till 3am gaming he won’t have slept till 4am I’d say which would surely have a negative impact on his racing, not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. Strange thing to allow him to do in the first place as everything Red Bull racing are doing is on his shoulders.
In the same interview Marko said it's normal for Max, he has a different rhythm, and he got his sleep quotum that night. He's stayed up even longer before and won. Horner also said after the race it wasn't and hasn't been an issue and Max was completely alert and focused during the pre race briefing as well. So yes, it's a narrative being pushed by Crofty and co. and yes all the shite those knobs have managed to stir up with these stories has likely led to a conversation where they've asked Max to lay low for a while on that front as to not add fuel to the fire.

The FIA were never turning a blind eye to him,

In the same interview Marko said it's normal for Max, he has a different rhythm, and he got his sleep quotum that night. He's stayed up even longer before and won. Horner also said after the race it wasn't and hasn't been an issue and Max was completely alert and focused during the pre race briefing as well. So yes, it's a narrative being pushed by Crofty and co. and yes all the shite those knobs have managed to stir up with these stories has likely led to a conversation where they've asked Max to lay low for a while on that front as to not add fuel to the fire.
It’s not a narrative being pushed. It was something that had happened.

Just as you speak of Horner and Marko it can be easily said that they’re not going to publicly throw max under the bus and say he was too tired to drive and it caused issues. Surely you see that, they’d never do that to their number 1 golden driver. , so using what they’ve said is just suiting a narrative you want to push

Pundits and fans are going to have to adjust to this new breed of racing driver anyway.

Antonelli has been on iracing since he was like 13. Half the F2/F3 grids are big on sim racing.

Pundits and fans are going to have to adjust to this new breed of racing driver anyway.

Antonelli has been on iracing since he was like 13. Half the F2/F3 grids are big on sim racing.
I’d love enough money to have racing set up like these guys have

Nothing reckless about what Schumacher and Senna did. They were calculated moves. Max does it because he loses his cool.

Yeah, I am not really sure you followed enough of both with that comment.

No way, imagine if Rashford or Bruno did this, we’d be rightfully asking how is it allowed. It’s not been as issue before cause he’s won easily over the last few years. I don’t have any negative agenda against him, I just think it has to have an impact when he starts to get all cranky and argumentative when things are unraveling.

No way, imagine if Rashford or Bruno did this, we’d be rightfully asking how is it allowed. It’s not been as issue before cause he’s won easily over the last few years. I don’t have any negative agenda against him, I just think it has to have an impact when he starts to get all cranky and argumentative when things are unraveling.
Sancho basically did it and got vilified for it as he should

Ex
Exactly, I just think professional sports people getting paid ridiculous money should do everything they can to win. Gaming to the early hours isn’t that. You can get away with it when it’s all smelling of roses but doesn’t take long for it to turn sour.

It’s not a narrative being pushed. It was something that had happened.

Just as you speak of Horner and Marko it can be easily said that they’re not going to publicly throw max under the bus and say he was too tired to drive and it caused issues. Surely you see that, they’d never do that to their number 1 golden driver. , so using what they’ve said is just suiting a narrative you want to push
No it's not, Crofty was going on about a lack of sleep (and repeating that 100 times in his commentary, blaming his frustration and anger and everything else he could think of on it as well) which by all accounts is not what happened.

Footballers get stick for playing games like FIFA or Call of Duty or going clubbing untill late at night. They don't usually get stick for basically training too much do they?

Are you really going to act like what Sancho did is the same? My god. You're comparing competing in a professional event in a racing simulator untill 3 AM, getting enough sleep and showing up focussed and on time for the pre race briefing to playing games like FIFA untill 3 AM and turning up late to training multiple times. :lol:

fifa is literally football simulator… feck sake.

You let the agenda creep in there. I haven't mentioned Lewis once, but if you want to bring him up then he's overall had the better of all his teammates.

Reference the greats. Senna, Schumacher, Clark. When not on retirement tours or fighting the FIA they all had the better of their teammates, every single season. Fangio did too except for not finishing too many races in his very first season. Hamilton hasn't and that goes against him, but Verstappen has already missed that mark too.

This is a strange point, Senna didn't really get the better of Prost, they both had a championship apiece as teammates and Prost got more points overall. It's almost like top drivers in similar cars sometimes get the best of each other even if one is a bit better than the other normally.

It depends on the team too - if they favour one driver over another then it also doesn't make it a fair fight - it's why Sainz' record at Ferrari has been quite impressive for example. Pretty sure Schumacher and Vettel benefited from that at times. Most top drivers probably have at some point. The Rosberg Vs Hamilton seasons were a bit of a luxury Mercedes had because they had by far the best car, if it were tight they'd have been on team orders a lot more.

Hope you're not serious :lol:
if you think sim racing is even 5% like driving on an actual track in a man actual car, you’re mental. it’s as close to racing as fifa is to football. you can basically learn the track layouts and maybe some braking points. stuff he knows inside out already. there’s feck all else to be gained from it.

if you think sim racing is even 5% like driving on an actual track in a man actual car, you’re mental. it’s as close to racing as fifa is to football. you can basically learn the track layouts and maybe some braking points. stuff he knows inside out already. there’s feck all else to be gained from it.

Spoken like a true grandpa

Spoken like a true grandpa
the hard part of racing is the conditions, the g-force and the actual risk of binning the car or crashing. that is completely gone in sim racing. does he lose kilos of weight from sweating during the sim racing? does he piss himself in his seat if he has to? is it unbearably hot? if he was up until 3 in the morning in the actual simulator, i would have a tiny bit more sympathy. i would still think it’s irresponsible the night before a race, but there’s a tiny bit more merit to it.

you’re basically a fighter pilot staying up until 3am on flight simulator is good prep for bombing kids on gaza the next day.

Mate he's got a sim racing setup worth over 50 grand. He's racing in professional events. F1 teams actually use similar (though obviously with custom software and the like) setups to train, to establish a base setup for the race, etc., and have done so for years. They employ people specifically to do this. And you're ignoring my other points. If you can't see how what Max does is different from a footballer sitting on his couch with a fecking PlayStation controller in his hands playing FIFA and subsequently showing up to actual training late, I don't know what to tell you..

Mate he's got a sim racing setup worth over 50 grand. He's racing in professional events. F1 teams actually use similar (though obviously with custom software and the like) setups to train, to establish a base setup for the race, etc., and have done so for years. They employ people specifically to do this. And you're ignoring my other points. If you can't see how what Max does is different from a footballer sitting on his couch with a fecking PlayStation controller in his hands playing FIFA and subsequently showing up to actual training late, I don't know what to tell you..
it is still an incredibly poor replica of actual racing conditions, regardless of how much he’s spent. there’s a reason the fia don’t give a feck about how much time the teams use it but limit actual running time on tracks. you can’t learn that much from it. it’s all built from limited runs on actual circuits. they cannot fully replicate the driving, let alone the toll on the driver.

the argument has shifted from “he still had 8 hours sleep, probably,” to “he does it to relax,” to “he’s practicing.” it’s the usual defend max at all costs, which ruins any actual points you may make. max was poor on sunday. just like sancho turning up late. i will admit sim racing has more value than fifa, but nowhere near enough to justify max staying up until 3am doing it before a race day. maybe if he felt that, he might become a better version of himself. but seeing as he and all his fanboys think he was perfect from the age of 18, i’m not holding my breath.

the hard part of racing is the conditions, the g-force and the actual risk of binning the car or crashing. that is completely gone in sim racing. does he lose kilos of weight from sweating during the sim racing? does he piss himself in his seat if he has to? is it unbearably hot? if he was up until 3 in the morning in the actual simulator, i would have a tiny bit more sympathy. i would still think it’s irresponsible the night before a race, but there’s a tiny bit more merit to it.

you’re basically a fighter pilot staying up until 3am on flight simulator is good prep for bombing kids on gaza the next day.

Just comparing sim racing to Singapore. Every other track is physically a piece of cake for the level of athlete F1 drivers are. The physicality and the risk dont even register for them.

The most difficult part of racing is the racing.

Just comparing sim racing to Singapore. Every other track is physically a piece of cake for the level of athlete F1 drivers are. The physicality and the risk dont even register for them.

The most difficult part of racing is the racing.

then why aren’t the best sim racers dominating all actual race events?

then why aren’t the best sim racers dominating all actual race events?

Because there's a miniscule number of available seats in the top tiers of motorsport. Most people dont get the huge financial backing from age 5 needed to get there.

And like I said, half of the F2, F3, F4 grids are all keen sim racers. DTM drivers, Touring drivers, WEC drivers, Nascar drivers, the best two drivers on the F1 grid in Max and Lando... why would they all get so invested in sim racing if it's such a poor imitation of the real thing?

Don't care what he was doing or weather it affects him or not. Live streaming just how few fecks you give the night before a race while the rest of the team is working their arse off round the clock for you, is going to get on the wrong side of someone at some point.

Because there's a miniscule number of available seats in the top tiers of motorsport. Most people dont get the huge financial backing from aged 5 needed to get there.

And like I said, half of the F2, F3, F4 grids are all keen sim racers. DTM drivers, Touring drivers, WEC drivers, Nascar drivers, the best two drivers on the F1 grid in Max and Lando... why would they all get so invested in sim racing if it's such a poor imitation of the real thing?
because they’re all racing nerds and would have grown up playing gran turismo and the likes. max sim races because he enjoys it. that’s fine. i was about to say he’s a grown man, but we’ll go with him being an adult. he can do what he wants. but staying up until 3am doing it on the eve of a race is not for his job. it’s selfish and it’s irresponsible to the entire team. i doubt any of them are fine with it. i would wager that’s why his race engineer was so shitty with him. he’s about to have a month off. maybe that would be the time to do it instead.

in any case, i hope max carries on sim racing until stupid o’clock before every race, because it will make great viewing on race days now that he’s not in a rocket ship that’s a second a lap quicker than everyone else’s car.

Yeah, not sure how staying up until 3am the night before a race isn't considered unprofessional.

Yeah, not sure how staying up until 3am the night before a race isn't considered unprofessional.

aye. the only time it would be slightly acceptable is if you were a rookie reserve driver, and for some reason, you’re thrust into a main seat on the eve of free practice, on a new track layout. getting to grips with the corners and braking points would have some benefit before free practice. but still not until 3am and in place of sleeping and fecking up your body clock beforehand.

Max Verstappen will take a 10 place grid penalty in Belgium after taking a new ICE.
In 2022 Verstappen came from 14th to win the race, and in 2023 he came from 6th to win, so this doesn’t count him out completely.
A potential HUGE opportunity for McLaren to score big points on Red Bull in the constructors championship.

Max Verstappen will take a 10 place grid penalty in Belgium after taking a new ICE.
In 2022 Verstappen came from 14th to win the race, and in 2023 he came from 6th to win, so this doesn’t count him out completely.
A potential HUGE opportunity for McLaren to score big points on Red Bull in the constructors championship.

no issue for him. he’ll just do 500 laps of spa on iracing and it’ll mean he gets all 10 positions back by turn 3.

staying up until 3am doing it on the eve of a race is not for his job. it’s selfish and it’s irresponsible to the entire team. i doubt any of them are fine with it. i would wager that’s why his race engineer was so shitty with him.

Just as well his engineers aren't a bunch of Karens and Crofties.

I think too much is made of this sim racing dealio except for one thing that is just part of being a human: once you pass the age of 25 or so staying up all hours of the night and not feeling it the next day gets harder for most of us. I can imagine that Max has a hard time coming to grips with that. It might even explain why he was so (even by his standards) very irritable the past weekend.

Sure he's a top driver in peak physical condition - but we have but a reasonably tiny window in our lives when we can basically eat, drink and sleep whatever and whenever we want.

No it's not, Crofty was going on about a lack of sleep (and repeating that 100 times in his commentary, blaming his frustration and anger and everything else he could think of on it as well) which by all accounts is not what happened.

Footballers get stick for playing games like FIFA or Call of Duty or going clubbing untill late at night. They don't usually get stick for basically training too much do they?

Are you really going to act like what Sancho did is the same? My god. You're comparing competing in a professional event in a racing simulator untill 3 AM, getting enough sleep and showing up focussed and on time for the pre race briefing to playing games like FIFA untill 3 AM and turning up late to training multiple times. :lol:
Let’s agree to disagree then. If one of my Project Managers was playing Project Manager Extreme all night and messed up a huge presentation to millions of people I’d not be happy! But each to their own.

I think too much is made of this sim racing dealio except for one thing that is just part of being a human: once you pass the age of 25 or so staying up all hours of the night and not feeling it the next day gets harder for most of us. I can imagine that Max has a hard time coming to grips with that. It might even explain why he was so (even by his standards) very irritable the past weekend.

Sure he's a top driver in peak physical condition - but we have but a reasonably tiny window in our lives when we can basically eat, drink and sleep whatever and whenever we want.
It really is the devils work that this coincides with the time you develop your adult habits :lol:.

I don't think Sim racing is half the problem. Racing is his obsession and I'm sure any F1 team would prefer him doing so at 0 km/h in his free time, given the other options money could buy. He's a great racer, but he isn't perfect (same as other great racers really). Anytime one of those imperfections shows both his detractors and his fanboys need to look for reasons.

Him racing so hard and the others having caught on to the fact that they can either not yield or made to look stupid will mean he will be in a lot more crashes regardless of his sleeping patterns.

I also posted this news yesterday but it got lost in the stupid max sim racing nonsense.

Be very interesting to see what happens if Piastri is leading the race with 20 laps to go and Lando is in 2nd place....

I also posted this news yesterday but it got lost in the stupid max sim racing nonsense.

Be very interesting to see what happens if Piastri is leading the race with 20 laps to go and Lando is in 2nd place....
Red Bull probably see an advantage for a fresh engine at Spa for Verstappen, combine that with their DRS and the Kemmel Straight should be a hive of overtaking activity for them.

I think Max could get away with doing so much sim racing and would win previously as he had such a rocket ship provided he got off the line well he basically had an empty track so didn't have to be as sharp to the nth degree (obviously still huge amounts of skill needed)

Now he's having to race wheel to wheel and fight for his position on track it requires even greater levels of sharpness than the huge amount you already need to drive an f1 car/tracks - is it causing him to lose even the tiniest amount of focus/millisecond?

Also his sim races don't seem to coincide with the track his actual races are taking place at, if they were, you could definitely see it as extra training, but he's having to memorise all the breaking points and layout of 2 different tracks, his sim one and his actual one