F1 2023 Season

Sliding around not bad enough, they have to deal with manhole covers. I feel this will be not be a good weekend.

Oh dear, not the first time a drain cover has caused problems, but you would have thought first race here, thing would have been double and triple checked.
From what I gathered they were welded in and asphalted over, however the concrete around gave way. Not really sure how they can say the others are safe from here on.

Can't help but feel a little happy about this happening at the first GP F1/Liberty organised themselves ever.

Broken chassis, Broken Engine and damaged Battery? Thats alot of £££ under the cost cap.

Also one less FP session just spices it up more for qually and GP.

Brundle: Vasseur has the right to be angry
Martin Brundle on Sky Sports News reacts to Frederic Vasseur's frustration at the damage done to Carlos Sainz's car:
"He has the right to be angry. Under these cost cap regulations, we are here at a track where Ferrari fancy their chances, especially with Carlos Sainz, and they have a broken chassis, broken engine and no mileage.
"Even if we run again tonight, that Ferrari is not going to run. Vasseur is not going to be very keen to hear how good the event is."

If they dont run in FP2, Carlos will be massively underprepared with just FP3 to get a feel for the track.

He owns part of the Merc team so has a huge interest in the US expansion working.
I know that, I was not criticising him, I actually agree with him.
Like this race or not, there has been a massive effort to get the race in place, yeah the manhole cover is a shitshow, but by the sounds of it, they did all the could before FP1 and the problem only came to surface after cars passed over.

Practice Two start officially delayed
The start of Practice Two, which was scheduled for 8am UK time, has now been delayed until some point after that while these track repairs continue.
This is what Sky are reporting.
So no idea when FP2 will start, its 11.30pm there now, how long will they hang on before calling it a night ?

Like this race or not, there has been a massive effort to get the race in place, yeah the manhole cover is a shitshow, but by the sounds of it, they did all the could before FP1 and the problem only came to surface after cars passed over.
Not a first failing manhole in F1 tracks, didn't they just have one a few years back in Baku?

I'm still undecided about the track but I do think it's very embarrassing given the marketing(I've watched them boast about gps guided steam rollers this week in their vids!). Not as embarrassing as having a race with 6 cars but one gets the feeling it's just not meant to be.

I'm still undecided about the track but I do think it's very embarrassing given the marketing(I've watched them boast about gps guided steam rollers this week in their vids!). Not as embarrassing as having a race with 6 cars but one gets the feeling it's just not meant to be.
I cant disagree on any of your points, the cringe fest Opening Ceremony.
The 6 race GP was a farce, also last time in Vegas was no great shakes, track on a car park !

under the circumstances , that damage should be excluded from the cost cap.
What about potential penalties for the changes, will the FIA enforce them ?
i agree it should be excluded if it isnt driver / team error.

Good question about penalties.

The offending manhole cover, I wonder how many more there is.
OIF.IAFriARe7eVZ2DFdr3yl9w

i agree it should be excluded if it isnt driver / team error.

Good question about penalties.
This was just on Sky F1
Sainz, Ocon car damage reffered to stewards
A note from the FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer to the stewards in Vegas regarding the damage sustained to Sainz and Ocon's cars as a result of that manhole cover.
Significant changes have been required to both cars, some of which under normal circumstances would trigger a penalty or at least work towards one, so it seems the stewards may be able to give dispensation here given the circumstances. That's certainly what Ferrari and Alpine will be hoping for and, probably, expecting.
"Due to the impact with a foreign object on the race track, the following cars have to change the below listed components, which are restricted by the 2023 Formula One Sporting Regulations:
"Car 55 (driver Carlos Sainz): Survival cell Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) Energy Store (ES) and directly associated Control Electronics (CE)
"Car 31 (driver Esteban Ocon): Survival cell
"I am referring this to the Stewards for their consideration."

I can’t see them fixing that safely in the time frames they have. This could get messy.

FP2 might get cancelled. They dont have long before the roads that make up the circuit need to be opened up for commuter traffic.

Sky Sports F1's Simon Lazenby:

"We are still waiting a decision as to whether FP2 will take place at all.

"We are hearing rumours potentially of 2.30am (10.30am UK) local time.

"Some of the roads here used for the circuit have to open at 4am. So we are time limited here. But it's been a very strange and I suppose slightly embarrassing start to this weekend given all the money and effort that has gone into this."

just make the cars practice around the traffic. seeing perez overtaken by a honda jazz would be the final nail in his coffin.

just make the cars practice around the traffic. seeing perez overtaken by a honda jazz would be the final nail in his coffin.
Just give them all F150s for practice and no one will even notice!

Sky Sports F1's Simon Lazenby:

"We are still waiting a decision as to whether FP2 will take place at all.

"We are hearing rumours potentially of 2.30am (10.30am UK) local time.

"Some of the roads here used for the circuit have to open at 4am. So we are time limited here. But it's been a very strange and I suppose slightly embarrassing start to this weekend given all the money and effort that has gone into this."
Im hoping FP2 is cancelled and we only get a standard FP3. Makes the weekend more russian roulette, which is apt for the location.