F1 2023 Season

Wonder what the odds are that any of the teams tune their engine to run hotter with the colder temps and also wanting to probably give a good showing for a GP with this much expectation associated with it. Not to mention the extremely long straight and it's not like they have to save their PUs for many more races. Can imagine a team like Merc just turning it up to the max.

I didn't know there will be 0 support races the entire weekend. On fresh tarmac. This will be even more slippery than expected :D . I expect Max, Fernando and Lewis to take advantage of that and am looking forward to see what other drivers can shine in difficult conditions (and I pray Merc have found some way to regain some straight line speed although I don't think it very likely).

Wonder what the odds are that any of the teams tune their engine to run hotter with the colder temps and also wanting to probably give a good showing for a GP with this much expectation associated with it. Not to mention the extremely long straight and it's not like they have to save their PUs for many more races. Can imagine a team like Merc just turning it up to the max.
The cold temps are better for the engines. Plus you cant engine maps during a race, only have thd ERS deployment to play with.

I've rolled my eyes at pretty much every single mention of this Vegas spectacle but those temps and a completely green track could potentially create some upsets, so that's something to hope for at least.

I didn't know there will be 0 support races the entire weekend. On fresh tarmac. This will be even more slippery than expected :D . I expect Max, Fernando and Lewis to take advantage of that and am looking forward to see what other drivers can shine in difficult conditions (and I pray Merc have found some way to regain some straight line speed although I don't think it very likely).
leclerc or norris will probably beat max to pole. Only reason i think that is;

1) RB takes longer to get its front tyres up to temp due to its anti dive characteristics. Wonder if some teams will do 2 warmup laps.

2) RB might have to raise the floor height and scarifice some performance with it being a street track.

I think Mercedes might be screwed again, but to a lesser degree as its a normal race weekend to dial in the car. They need a bigger rear wing to generate more downforce for the rear of the car, to protect the rear tyres and get some grip from the rears. But it means they look like they are dragging a parachute behind them.

Going for a Norris win (obviously it will max, but someone else would be nice).

Cloud coverage should keep the ambient temperature closer to 10 degree mark. The concern isn’t the cold now but it’s rain. If it gets wet, it will stay wet. Track won’t dry out
There's a NASCAR track in Vegas isn't there, they do tend to have a fleet of track dryers could come in handy for this

Translated from Auto Hebdo

The cold in Las Vegas, this slight detail forgotten by F1 which could have serious consequences

The Las Vegas Grand Prix is expected to be held in winter temperatures not exceeding 10 degrees. Faced with this unprecedented challenge, and unforeseen by F1, the engineers are preparing as best as possible, like Pierre Waché (Red Bull).

“The only thing we didn't envisage at the start (…) is that it's very, very cold at night ,” Ross Brawn said in the TalkSport podcast . So, when the race takes place, that is to say on Saturday evening (in the United States, Sunday morning in France. Editor's note), we know that the temperature can drop to three or four degrees.
So it can get very cold and of course operating cars at these temperatures can become a challenge. »
We're definitely facing new challenges that we've never had before, but I think it's going to be a spectacular race.

The opinion of Pierre Waché, Red Bull Racing Technical Director

“The biggest challenge, in terms of temperatures, will be the tires. The temperatures will be cool, on a track where we don't put any energy into the tires, so that's a big challenge. »

Indeed, the Las Vegas circuit, 6.12 km long, is made up of 17 turns, but practically no sequence of curves. These usually allow single-seaters, in a lateral support situation, to heat up their tires more quickly.
This is what we call in technicians’ language “putting energy” into the tires.

“We do more simulation on this track than we have ever done on others. We try to put temperature in the tire without destroying the balance of the vehicle or degrading the tires, but it is very complicated, because we are a bit blind. We have little data, other than those related to the simulation. Because if we try to fully optimize the car, it will also slip and the driver will not be able to drive the way he wants. »

Pit exit, 180 degrees turn, cold tyres.. what could possibly go wrong?

F-kG2MdXwAAAnAo

seeing at least one of the drivers seriously maimed or killed will at least be something to do other than watch a max procession. good on formula one for releasing there is a huge, untapped market for the return of gladiatorial style sports.

Pit exit, 180 degrees turn, cold tyres.. what could possibly go wrong?

F-kG2MdXwAAAnAo
I hate this line of thinking.

Drive to the conditions. Race to the conditions. If you lose your car on the pit exit it's on the driver 100%. Being fast despite that is what racing is about.

Last edited:
I hate this line of thinking.

Drive to the conditions. Race to the conditions. If you lose your car on the pit exit it's on the driver 100%. Being fast despite that is what racing is about.
Used to be, now it's all about minimizing risk.

Used to be, now it's all about minimizing risk.
To be first in a superior car that is the way to go, certainly. For everyone else trying to finish better than their car is it's the same as always.

I don't know how to break it to you... but there's always a first corner! And given that tires don't warm on a straight a straight there wouldn't do anything other than increase speeds for that first corner. The bigger problem for me is that the pit exit goes through the apex of the first corner (seen on other circuits too, but I'm not a fan).

No one really has anything special to gain, so I doubt we will see many risks taken. Well, except Checo.

@ChrisMedlandF1
Red Bull just revealed its Las Vegas livery by lowering a car from the roof of Omnia nightclub #F1 #LasVegasGP

KopzKXd.jpg

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...-avoid-1-october-shooter-affiliation-2899481/

The Las Vegas Grand Prix is looking to change the name of one of its buildings to avoid affiliation with the man behind the Oct. 1 mass shooting, officials said Tuesday.

Formula One representative Stephanie Allen said race officials had recently been told of the correlation of the use of the word “paddock” on their building site with the name Stephen Paddock, the gunman who perpetrated the worst mass shooting in U.S. history during the Las Vegas Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 1, 2017.

Allen said paddock is a word used globally to describe the building that houses drivers’ garages, but told Clark County Commissioners that officials were looking at changing the name out of sensitivity to the community.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...-avoid-1-october-shooter-affiliation-2899481/

The Las Vegas Grand Prix is looking to change the name of one of its buildings to avoid affiliation with the man behind the Oct. 1 mass shooting, officials said Tuesday.

Formula One representative Stephanie Allen said race officials had recently been told of the correlation of the use of the word “paddock” on their building site with the name Stephen Paddock, the gunman who perpetrated the worst mass shooting in U.S. history during the Las Vegas Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 1, 2017.

Allen said paddock is a word used globally to describe the building that houses drivers’ garages, but told Clark County Commissioners that officials were looking at changing the name out of sensitivity to the community.
OH FFS, is this not taking it a step too far, I presume they have come up with a strange name to call it instead.

OH FFS, is this not taking it a step too far, I presume they have come up with a strange name to call it instead.
Clutching the straws. As someone pointed out in another forum

The British sticom Gavin and Stacey was (and still is) very popular and well liked in the UK, despite the writers deliberately naming the main characters after recent notorious serial killers.

Verstappen felt like “a clown” at glitzy Las Vegas F1 opening ceremony

The drivers at the opening ceremony

Along with a drone show and musical performances, the event included a section during which the drivers emerged from giant boxes on the pit straight and were introduced to the crowd.

Verstappen, who also opted to miss a later VIP event at the Wynn’s hotel complex that F1 boss Stefano Domenicali asked all the drivers to attend, made it clear that he is not enjoying the Las Vegas experience thus far.

"For me you can all skip these things," the Red Bull driver said when asked about the ceremony. "It's not about the singer, it's just standing up there, you look like a clown."

"It's 99 per cent show and one per cent sporting event. Not a lot of emotions to be honest. I mean I don't like...I just want to always focus on the performance side of things, I don't like all the things around it anyway," said Verstappen.

F_CMnPIXwAAttRj

Last edited: