F1 2023 Season

Based on not much more than a hunch I don’t think Norris would suit the Red Bull car.

It's hard to say. The McLaren is hard to drive and even he says he doesn't like it but adapts, so he may prefer the red bulls characteristics. He may be so used to McLaren that he would struggle to adapt to something else but I think he's so talented that he would be fine in one.

It's hard to say. The McLaren is hard to drive and even he says he doesn't like it but adapts, so he may prefer the red bulls characteristics. He may be so used to McLaren that he would struggle to adapt to something else but I think he's so talented that he would be fine in one.
Yeah I was thinking it could just come down to how adaptable a driver is but he always looked more comfortable than Ricciardo in the McLaren if my memory is right which it probably isn’t. Ricciardo obviously looked great in the Red Bull so just went with the simplest explanation in that their styles aren’t the same. I’m sure these things are studied to the absolute extreme by teams when picking drivers though… I hope :lol:

Yeah I was thinking it could just come down to how adaptable a driver is but he always looked more comfortable than Ricciardo in the McLaren if my memory is right which it probably isn’t. Ricciardo obviously looked great in the Red Bull so just went with the simplest explanation in that their styles aren’t the same. I’m sure these things are studied to the absolute extreme by teams when picking drivers though… I hope :lol:

Sainz also said the McLaren was a nightmare. And yeah ricciardo had a disaster and was comprehensively beaten by Norris. I just think Norris is extremely talented and will adapt to any car, much like Alonso has throughout his career. For me Norris is in the top five drivers on the grid with max, Lewis, Alonso and leclerc.

Sainz also said the McLaren was a nightmare. And yeah ricciardo had a disaster and was comprehensively beaten by Norris. I just think Norris is extremely talented and will adapt to any car, much like Alonso has throughout his career. For me Norris is in the top five drivers on the grid with max, Lewis, Alonso and leclerc.
You could be right. Would definitely be intriguing.

Can someone explain to me what Russell was complaining about when he was behind Hamilton and lost the DRS? If you're in the same car and have DRS while your teammate ahead doesn't, shouldn't you be faster than him and thus the one responsible for ensuring you stay in touch at whatever the right time interval is between the cars? Or is the car in front supposed to slow down when the DRS traps come around to ensure you stay in touch or something but then pull further away to stop your tyres degrading elsewhere?

Can someone explain to me what Russell was complaining about when he was behind Hamilton and lost the DRS? If you're in the same car and have DRS while your teammate ahead doesn't, shouldn't you be faster than him and thus the one responsible for ensuring you stay in touch at whatever the right time interval is between the cars? Or is the car in front supposed to slow down when the DRS traps come around to ensure you stay in touch or something but then pull further away to stop your tyres degrading elsewhere?
Just Russell things.

I think it was just in the moment stuff. Helping each other with DRS to fend off cars behind can help on tight tracks like Singapore or to salvage the end of a race but not at this track or even at the stage of the GP. Russell dropped a mile off not long after being on the radio and both were sitting ducks with bad tyre wear and aero drag, DRS or letting Russell by was not an option. In reviewing the race with the team he'll know it was fruitless suggestions

Result of US Grand Prix maybe in doubt.

Red Bull Racing, Aston Martin, Williams and Haas must all report to FIA stewards. This is all to do with the right of review that Haas' Formula 1 team is invoking. The outcome of the US Grand Prix could change as a result.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/247739/red-bull-and-other-f1-teams-taken-to-task-by-fia.html
17 times off the track

At Alpine you could tell during the race that something was wrong with turn 6. An employee followed the race from the perspective of Pierre Gasly's cockpit camera and observed that Sergio Perez, who was driving in front of Gasly, regularly shortened the curve and was clearly visible beyond the white line. 21 times in total.

Not just Perez. Other drivers also optimized their ideal line several times because there was never a warning from the race management. So they thought they were on the safe side. Including Albon. Word of the case quickly spread in the paddock. In the following team manager meeting before the Mexican GP, the FIA representatives were asked why the violations went unpunished.

They received the answer from race director Niels Wittich that the quality of the track camera in Turn 6 was not sufficient to clearly convict drivers of exceeding the limits. Sports director Steve Nielsen admitted that the inspectors did not have the relevant recordings from all on-board cameras at the time.

Right to review based on new evidence
Haas team manager Peter Crolla was not satisfied with the explanation. The US racing team obtained all the videos from the on-board cameras of all drivers and studied those of Albon himself and the respective pilots behind the Thai. A total of 17 violations were counted in Turn 6, which can be clearly proven by the photos of the following cars.

Haas is now taking this as an opportunity to reopen the case. The team requested its right to review in a letter on November 3rd. This will only be permitted if there is new evidence. Since the FIA said it did not have access to the on-board cameras during the race, but these are now freely accessible, new evidence has emerged, according to Haas. The FIA lawyers want to examine the case for approval in the next few days. There is no time limit.

HAAS seeking following penalties

- Perez 18x 5s

- Stroll 16x 5s

- Albon 15x 5s

- Sargeant 3x 5s

Apparently prices for Las Vegas have dropped massively, you can buy them much cheaper then they were when they came out. Mind you, the prices are still too expensive to be fair.

They were right they just cant conclusively prove it with onboards.

Just bad camera placement at some corners.

Would have taken a point off Williams and given 2 points to Haas. If Haas outscore Alfa Romeo by 3 points over the last 2 races it'll sting
We're good about bad camera placement in this country tbf.
#Epsteindidntkillhimself :devil:

reading stuff about Las Vegas, track layout and expected cold weather, this race could be an utter shit show.
Temp is forecast to be 4 degress, it's looking like it's going to be the coldest race in the history of F1, cold weather and lengthy stretches without turns could see Formula 1 cars resemble Bambi on ice if precautions aren't taken.
The pit lane exit is raising some concerns

Track layout
OIF.mUwVnyv0dZhE7cg8Mry81g

reading stuff about Las Vegas, track layout and expected cold weather, this race could be an utter shit show.
Temp is forecast to be 4 degress, it's looking like it's going to be the coldest race in the history of F1, cold weather and lengthy stretches without turns could see Formula 1 cars resemble Bambi on ice if precautions aren't taken.
The pit lane exit is raising some concerns

Track layout
OIF.mUwVnyv0dZhE7cg8Mry81g

Onboard lap from F1 2023 game. Overtaking could be tough.

Apparently Verstappen's been playing the game and crashing into the walls.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...-max-verstappen-on-las-vegas-track-in-f1-game

Interested to see if overtaking can be done on those two long arching straights, could be an unexpected exciting track.

Interested to see if overtaking can be done on those two long arching straights, could be an unexpected exciting track.

Overtakes on long straights are so boring anyway.

Alonso could potentially beat Max over a season. Likewise Max beating Alonso. Its almost impossible to know without them being in the same car. Max maybe in his prime, but Alonso is wily as the wily-est of foxes. Regardless it would a incredible watch.

Alonso along with Hamilton is the greatest driver of his generation. He should have more WDC's but joins the wrong team at the wrong time. I want alonso to win another title.
I think Fernando is almost a complete racer on his own. He has amazing spacecraft, speed, great defensive skills, and experience. No doubt that Fernando can challenge Max for sure even in a full season( not only in some situations), but I also think Fernando is past his best time, and although he hasn’t shown some serious decline like Vettel has before, I still think he lost some of his raw speed that we’ve seen this from him in his prime(2006-2014).

Regardless it would be incredible to watch for sure. However, I think Fernando at this stage will be beaten by Max in the qualifying sessions in a lot of grand prix. Max's raw pace is superior to Fernando's, and Fernando’s raw pace despite I won’t count as his weakness isn’t his strongest strength since he has been here( his stint in Mclaren vs Lewis in 2007 had already shown it).

This has all the makings of a really bad weekend.
Weather is looking, lets say less than good.
Saturday, Nov 18: Expect temperatures from 12°C (54°F) at night to 17°C (63°F) during the day, with light winds. High chance of rain, especially in the evening.
Sunday, Nov 19: Cooler at night around 11°C (52°F), warming to 19°C (66°F). Similar light winds, with a continued possibility of rain.
This forecast indicates a cooler and potentially wet weekend.

This has all the makings of a really bad weekend.
Weather is looking, lets say less than good.
Saturday, Nov 18: Expect temperatures from 12°C (54°F) at night to 17°C (63°F) during the day, with light winds. High chance of rain, especially in the evening.
Sunday, Nov 19: Cooler at night around 11°C (52°F), warming to 19°C (66°F). Similar light winds, with a continued possibility of rain.
This forecast indicates a cooler and potentially wet weekend.
Less grip can lead to better racing in my opinion. It might lead to unexpected results, and I'd welcome that.

Yes correct, just thinking wet and cold, could be a recipe for disaster.
If the air temp is going to be as low as they say, condition will be challenging.
Hang on, thats what we want challenging conditions, BRING IT ON
Ssssooo more desert races in even more challenging conditions? ;)

But yeah, I feel conflicted. Changing conditions in particular though showed what it can do when you look at Zandvoort of all places setting an overtaking record this year.

Yes correct, just thinking wet and cold, could be a recipe for disaster.
If the air temp is going to be as low as they say, condition will be challenging.
Hang on, thats what we want challenging conditions, BRING IT ON
It could mean more close up racing as well as the heat coming off the car in front would be welcomed to keep tires at temperature for this race

Alonso's burning desire: why age isn't slowing the 42-year-old F1 champion.

Great read

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...e=emailCampaign&dm_i=4DIP,1KSGS,75DNUM,7DVUF,1

It's commonly accepted that F1 drivers get slower as age withers their reactions. But Fernando Alonso is proving that wrong. Mark Hughes explains how the Aston Martin driver's competitive fire dwarfs the effect of his 42 years

As Fernando Alonso answered questions in the Sao Paulo Grand Prix press conference, having staged that remarkable defence of third place against Sergio Perez’s much faster Red Bull, he was asked how this compared to his defensive drive against Michael Schumacher to win at Imola in 2005. “That was easier,” he replied, “because it was non-DRS. Now with the DRS, it seems a little bit different and you have to play things a little bit differently. And tyre management is also very different than back then, where you could maybe push the tyre all the way.”

Before providing his answer, he turned to the winner of the race, Max Verstappen, and asked how old he had been that day. Max replied five (he was actually seven). Which just underlines the remarkable durability of Alonso as a performer from the very top drawer. It isn’t physical deterioration which slows a driver, not at the relatively young age of 42 anyway. Being quick is not about reactions, but feel. Quick reactions are great, and certainly no hindrance, but they don’t buy you lap time. Michael Schumacher, one of the greatest there’s ever been, had his reactions measured when at his peak at Ferrari. They were pretty awful, “About the same as mine,” as his boss Ross Brawn said. In any start-line measurements in testing, Schumacher’s reactions were always slower than those of Rubens Barrichello. Yet back in 1991 British F3, when Barrichello was losing races to poor starts from pole, his team boss Dick Bennetts took him and his other driver Jordi Gene to Santa Pod drag strip to practice starts – and Barrichello’s reactions were consistently slower than Gene’s. Slower than Gene’s but faster than Michael’s which were about the same as Brawn’s… Being quick in the car isn’t about reacting to what it does, it’s about feeling what it’s about to do. If you only reacted to what it did, you’d crash.

Otherwise, what slows a driver is not usually age, but simply the desire, the wish to keep putting it on the line, to go wheel-to-wheel with fearless and ambitious young chargers, amid the constant grind, the years of flight-hotel-track-flight-hotel-track, media work, sponsor greeting etc. All the while trying to find ways of improving yourself, of helping the team progress.

That desire in Alonso has always marked him out. Yes, he’s super-fast, very smart and has a sixth sense of how to place his car in battle. But he’s never been the absolute fastest over a single lap, never the absolute best wet weather driver. His peaks are quite rounded ones, but are wider than anyone else’s – and he has so many of them. Desire is the outstanding quality, and it’s been there from the start.