Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
You saying you are treating him as only been here 3 games as if he is a new manager. Same shit different season and same excuses from TH this is his team yet he can’t get a performance from them. It’s all on him.
I'm saying I'm trying to treat him as a new manager since he was backed by the club in the summer but clearly you can't completely ignore the past seasons. I don't agree that we're playing the same as we did for the majority of last season. We have a new higher up structure, new coaching staff, and a largely changed squad. How can you say it's all on EtH?

Voted Back but only because I think we should have made a change in the summer, but since the board have given him a new contract I think we need to see what happens in the next few games.

If he gets Ugarte in the team and Hojlund back but still can't get results I think it's the end of the road. Next 3-4 games could be make or break.

My main concern is who could we bring in. I pray we are not still interested in Southgate.

I’m not sure I can get behind a manager whose plan only works if he’s got his best 11 players in peak form and fitness.

It's fair to say that we've had a 0% success rate with managers post-Fergie. That's astounding.

Tbf it's not that astounding. I've raised this point before, but post Fergie we've only had 5 permanent managers. Genuinely successful clubs have had more managers than us.

To add to that, getting the right manager is a tricky process (and most clubs get it wrong more often than right) but knowing when to move on is actually relatively easy and that's when we have consistently missed the ball. Basically we handicap ourselves with the way we treat the managers role compared to other clubs.

IF he survives through the international break, which he only may because managers are rarely sacked after 3 games, next 6 fixtures are all the kind that he should win, but majority of them we can easily lose if we play like we did today.

Those 6 league fixtures
1. Southampton (A)
2. Crystal Palace (A)
3. Spurs (H)
4. Aston Villa (A)
5. Brentford (H)
6. West Ham (A)

I think, if he drops more than 3 points out of the 18 possible in these games, he is not making it

Unfortunately, I do think he will fail that test, even with Ugarte, because as big of a problem as Casemiro was, he was far from the only problem today
If we win 4, lose 1 and draw 1 that’s not a sackable offence in fact it would represent a pretty decent haul in what looks like very tricky fixtures apart from Southampton.

United are regressing and not improving. His signings are always shit.
Sack him. Even me a Madrid fan is tired of him. Sack him!!

We've made the wrong decision on every managerial appointment post Fergie and have compounded each mistake by waiting far too long to sack in every case. Nothing has changed with Ineos on this regard.

Anyone saying he should be given until Xmas, why?

There is no reason at all to give him more time.

Our last 78 league games or so, our GD is like a +2 or something.

He should be booted out during the international break. There's no point wasting another season.

I think it's silly to sack him after 3 games because he was backed in the summer by the new regime, there's a new coaching set up and new signings that haven't even played yet. I'm trying to approach it as if EtH has just been hired over the summer. Every manager deserves more than 3 games to show their worth but not forever obviously. I think Christmas time is the clichéd sacking point because it gives the new manager coming in enough time to turn things around plus a transfer window.

In modern management terms, he's had close to forever. He's been given so much time, so much money to improve things and do better.

He's not getting sacked this month, but I think he's in a very vey delicate position. The fixtures aren't kind, and his tactics, choices and management, aren't kind to himself either.

I'm saying I'm trying to treat him as a new manager since he was backed by the club in the summer but clearly you can't completely ignore the past seasons. I don't agree that we're playing the same as we did for the majority of last season. We have a new higher up structure, new coaching staff, and a largely changed squad. How can you say it's all on EtH?
He’s the manager and he trains the team, picks the tactics and the team. He keeps picking Rashford, when Amad and Garnacho have played better. He picks Onana who can’t stop a low shot. He has been backed to the hilt by Murtough/Arnold and Ineos. He has 2 managers helping him now. He has vastly changed the squad to his specifications. De Jong has said regularly he doesn’t want to leave Barca. His stupid after match comments are embarrassing. How you can think he is the right man is baffling.

On the fence. I was on the McKenna train this summer, but the other options did not appeal to me at all. I do wonder if changing managers during the season will make this malaise rub off on them too.

If we have another shite season then of course, we'll need a change. I think a new manager would be better served coming in next summer when hopefully the hierarchy gets busy with near enough completing the clear out.

Where is the poll at at the moment?
No it wouldn’t. It would be better if the new manager has sometime to work with this team and the C-suite people during the season so they can see what works and what doesn’t. They can use this season to see who we can target next summer. Bringing a new manager only next summer means the manager might not have enough say in who we go for since the targets would already have been identified.

A bad day today but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see something like a first choice team out there. If it's not meaningfully better I think he's gone by Christmas though.
Other than a midfielder that we’re not sure he wanted, who were we missing to make it a 1st choice team? I can’t believe it reading these excuses again.

Anyone saying he should be given until Xmas, why?

There is no reason at all to give him more time.

Our last 78 league games or so, our GD is like a +2 or something.

He should be booted out during the international break. There's no point wasting another season.

Not sure why so many are happy to write off another season. Get rid of the problem now.

He's not the best manager but I have to remind myself that our players are shit. Quality of the squad is not top 6 level.

If anything it shows Ole wasn’t the clueless coach some people depicted here
Issue with Ole was Carrick/McKenna ran training and Ole wanted the SAF overseer role. I also think most coaches in the PL could set us up that way and do well (without winning anything), because Mou, Ole and ETH and have all done at least 1 season using the same tactics, broadly, and Mou and ETH wins things whilst Ole came close. But we would never be more than we were and that is why there is such an issue now because we’re trying, about 10 years later than everyone else, to shift to having a 6.

:lol::lol::lol: get this man out of here ASAP.
Whatever you think about tenHag I think those questions are disrespectful. Do you think they would ask other teams manager that? Club should just stop talking to media.

Media loves when we lose. Simple.

IF he survives through the international break, which he only may because managers are rarely sacked after 3 games, next 6 fixtures are all the kind that he should win, but majority of them we can easily lose if we play like we did today.

Those 6 league fixtures
1. Southampton (A)
2. Crystal Palace (A)
3. Spurs (H)
4. Aston Villa (A)
5. Brentford (H)
6. West Ham (A)

I think, if he drops more than 3 points out of the 18 possible in these games, he is not making it

Unfortunately, I do think he will fail that test, even with Ugarte, because as big of a problem as Casemiro was, he was far from the only problem today

Absolute max of 10 points I reckon. Most probably about 6 from Southampton and Brentford and not much else from the others.

Any suggestions for a new manager then? A real name instead of ''anything is better? I dont think Klopp is willing to take the job for example.

Who do you guys think Ten Hag is? The idea that only the likes of Klopp would be improvements is comical at this point. Please rest

Not sure why so many are happy to write off another season. Get rid of the problem now.

Firing a manager and going the caretaker route is still writing off the season, so unless we have a good replacement lined up I'd rather keep him purely to avoid writing off the season already.

Firing a manager and going the caretaker route is still writing off the season, so unless we have a good replacement lined up I'd rather keep him purely to avoid writing off the season already.

I am not entirely convinced that Van Nistelrooy would do a worse job to be honest...

Voted Back but only because I think we should have made a change in the summer, but since the board have given him a new contract I think we need to see what happens in the next few games.

If he gets Ugarte in the team and Hojlund back but still can't get results I think it's the end of the road. Next 3-4 games could be make or break.

My main concern is who could we bring in. I pray we are not still interested in Southgate.
They didn’t give him a new contract. They triggered the +1 option on his existing contract.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cd17d871gj9o.amp

I do think he should at least be given time to see how the team is with Hojlund and Ugarte in the mix but he has to be on the thinnest of ice given how many players he previously worked with have come in.

Whatever you think about tenHag I think those questions are disrespectful. Do you think they would ask other teams manager that? Club should just stop talking to media.

Think It was a fair question. You can’t keep calling yourself the biggest club in the world and not expect scrutiny. It’s the players aren’t performing or your system isn’t working. ETH keeps saying the players are giving it their best so if the players aren’t the problem, then it’s his system/coaching.

Well this season is going to be as fun as last then. Wonder how many beatings we get this season :confused:

Who do you guys think Ten Hag is? The idea that only the likes of Klopp would be improvements is comical at this point. Please rest

Nobody is suggesting that though, we're asking for more depth of thought than just "sack ETH". What happens next? If we've got a good replacement lined up then I'm on board, but if there aren't any suggestions beyond "give it Ruudy 'till the end of the season" then it's just change for the sake of change.

He’s the manager and he trains the team, picks the tactics and the team. He keeps picking Rashford, when Amad and Garnacho have played better. He picks Onana who can’t stop a low shot. He has been backed to the hilt by Murtough/Arnold and Ineos. He has 2 managers helping him now. He has vastly changed the squad to his specifications. De Jong has said regularly he doesn’t want to leave Barca. His stupid after match comments are embarrassing. How you can think he is the right man is baffling.
Yeah he's the manager and team selection and the set up is on him. Do you think he's the one training the team every day? I don't think Onana is a problem like you seem to. I disagree that he was backed to the hilt by the previous regime, just because we spent lots of money doesnt mean he was backed. De Jong is a good example, clearly EtH really wanted him, the club failed in their attempt, then we signed a completely different style of midfielder in Casemrio, how does that make sense? I agree that he's not particularly charismatic and he makes some odd comments for sure. I don't think I said he's the right man for the job, I'm just willing to give it time before calling for him to be sacked.

Whatever you think about tenHag I think those questions are disrespectful. Do you think they would ask other teams manager that?

How many managers in a traditionally “big club” are on their third season, have spent north of half a billion, finished 8th with negative goal difference, and find their team already incredibly off the pace on the 1st of September - being beaten back to back by newcomers?

You’re wondering why he’s being asked these questions, seriously?

In modern management terms, he's had close to forever. He's been given so much time, so much money to improve things and do better.

He's not getting sacked this month, but I think he's in a very vey delicate position. The fixtures aren't kind, and his tactics, choices and management, aren't kind to himself either.
Yeah I mostly agree with you. I'm just trying to separate the EtH eras and give him the benefit of the doubt for now I guess. I also don't agree with the idea that he's been backed just because we spent a lot of money under Murtough. I think he's being more kind to himself in terms of tactics this season but we'll see if it's enough.

He's not the best manager but I have to remind myself that our players are shit. Quality of the squad is not top 6 level.

He signed most of them FFS and demanded the final authority before joining us.

Also refused to work with Rangnick who had a proven track record of signing hidden gems.

The question is more whether there is any manager in the league that wouldn't be an improvement

We surely can't go caretaker 3 games into a season :lol:

He should have gone after the cup final, we're stuck with him now until at least November, and we've got a squad specifically built for him which is going to cause issues going forward.
On paper it reads that way because of the familiarity of the signings, but i thought this was the whole point of having a "general manager", so when he's replaced its a seamless transition for the new manager. He's already lost 2 games, we looked shite last year, preseason we looked shite and we look shite now. All im saying is give it to Ruud. It's not like he hasn't got any top flight managerial experience, and he's well respected. It honestly can't be any worse then what we're seeing.

Those 6 league fixtures
1. Southampton (A)
2. Crystal Palace (A)
3. Spurs (H)
4. Aston Villa (A)
5. Brentford (H)
6. West Ham (A)

We also have Europe starting next month and those away games wouldn’t be difficult for us generally but with ETH we are playing like a mid table team so every away game is hard and he is got Porto away a month from now. If the sack hasn’t happened by then I can see that game being the nail in the coffin.

Yeah he's the manager and team selection and the set up is on him. Do you think he's the one training the team every day? I don't think Onana is a problem like you seem to. I disagree that he was backed to the hilt by the previous regime, just because we spent lots of money doesnt mean he was backed. De Jong is a good example, clearly EtH really wanted him, the club failed in their attempt, then we signed a completely different style of midfielder in Casemrio, how does that make sense? I agree that he's not particularly charismatic and he makes some odd comments for sure. I don't think I said he's the right man for the job, I'm just willing to give it time before calling for him to be sacked.
The de Jong example is funny because what actually happened was the ten hag appeared sure he would want to come to play under him but in reality he had no interest in it. Not sure how that was the clubs fault

Think It was a fair question. You can’t keep calling yourself the biggest club in the world and not expect scrutiny. It’s the players aren’t performing or your system isn’t working. ETH keeps saying the players are giving it their best so if the players aren’t the problem, then it’s his system/coaching.
It's both. But he can't say the players aren't performing in the press conference can he? That's putting the players under the bus and would damage whatever little confidence they have in themselves. On the other hand, he's also too prideful to admit the flaws in his system and so we get responses like that.

What a clown. He can't stand being criticised, he was so dislikable in that press conference, that reporter nailed him when he asked what mistakes.
Reporter told him you almost got knocked out by Cambridge :lol:
We've become a laughing stock again, under ETH just sack for god’s sake.
Being criticised is one thing. Being asked disrespectful questions is different. You know that reporter was only out for reaction.

How many managers in a traditionally “big club” are on their third season, have spent north of half a billion, finished 8th with negative goal difference, and find their team already incredibly off the pace on the 1st of September - being beaten back to back by newcomers?

You’re wondering why he’s being asked these questions, seriously?
Have they ever asked that kind of question to Arteta? Just example. Or Klopp in his first 3-4 years? No. There is difference how they are towards us compared to others.

Think It was a fair question. It’s either the players aren’t performing or your system isn’t working. ETH keeps saying the players are giving it their best so if the players aren’t the problem, then it’s his system/coaching.
Would they have asked same question to other managers when they lose games?

They would if a manager had the same record.

He's not being asked these questions in a vacuum

What’s all this about him not making it to Xmas? We’ll have nowt to play for if we wait that long.

What a clown. He can't stand being criticised, he was so dislikable in that press conference, that reporter nailed him when he asked what mistakes.
Reporter told him you almost got knocked out by Cambridge :lol:
We've become a laughing stock again, under ETH just sack for god’s sake.
Keeps going on about his two trophies like he is mourinho in his prime. The are second rate trophies I was very happy to win but they should only ever be a stepping stone to us and not an end goal like challenging for the big trophies