Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Two away games at Southampton and Palace coming up. I don't expect us to win either. Same with Spurs and Villa after. We could easily be looking at 3-5 points after 7 games.

The signs were already so obvious that our team was on autopilot mode with next to no coaching. I don't get it how long it took something so obvious, so long for many to see

To me it would have been too early but December 2023 is when things became annoying because you don't have the excuse of not knowing the players or needing time to implement the bases of an efficient structure. Also our issues were obvious during preseason and he made no adjustment until late April.

I agree but I don't think they'll make that move for a couple of months at least. But ETH has lost all his excuses and no longer has an incompetent board to hide behind. Buck stops with him now.
Fair enough.

If INEOS are indeed serious about winning the big trophies (PL/CL) as they said and they weren’t just paying lip service, they ought to have been looking for a new manager behind the scenes long before today.

Injury excuse is also out of the window as well.

I still believe his first season wasn't even that great minus a brief positive run. It was basically his peak, which really is pitiful after all this time to be looking back that far for his "best" football.
His first season was built on a bit of squad unity after Ronaldo called them all shite, squeezing out the bit of footballer left in Casemiro, followed by an insane Rashford purple patch. Oh and, no matter what anyone says, De Gea saving us all the time to win 1-0. The ending to that season was abysmal.

Two away games at Southampton and Palace coming up. I don't expect us to win either. Same with Spurs and Villa after. We could easily be looking at 3-5 points after 7 games.

If last season is anything to go by we'll win one, lose one and draw one of the next 3. It's not quite bad enough to sack him but still leaves his future hanging in the balance and we'll be having the exact same "let's see how he gets on next week" conversation.

What's even more infuriating is that he is acting as if winning those two trophies put the club on the map of world football. Like we were some tinpot, underdog football club who won both trophies against the odds and he should be revered for it.

What a clown.

This is the bit you don't get - United fans above any other stakeholder at the club, wanted to keep him. The support for him after the FA cup final was overwhelming.

Yeah, don't quite get that part. I can understand being very excited about winning a cup against your rivals but not to the extent of overriding the whole season. Any manager here would have been sacked after bombing such an easy group in the UCL so kudos for sticking with him and beaing City in the final but I would had decided to cut my losses there regardless of the win.

Even if that disastrous season was a fluke for him and he can actually play good football he's a in a really complicated position now. He is going to have a lot of pressure whenever the team goes through this spells of bad form. Perhaps that's the reason he wasn't sacked as he will become the default scapegoat while the owners asses a more suitable replacement in the meantime.

I think this has probably been the lowest level in the last decade, previously when we got to this level it was clear that the manager was going to go in a game or two while now it’s hard to see a change considering it’s only been 3 games.

I can’t believe that the people running the club saw our performances last season & looked at the underlying numbers and decided to keep him. I believe that at this club we should have a baseline level where regardless of the injuries or bad luck if you are below that then you can’t continue and last season was well below that level

Having kept him on now I don’t think it makes sense to even consider sacking him at this point. We will have to see a couple of months and assess where we are. It’s not what I want but as a club I don’t want overnight change of minds either way.

At the risk of exposing the fact that I may be an asshole. Every single fan that actually backed him at the end of last season need to be quiet for a while. You can't ignore 2 seasons of BS from the manager just to have enough after three games in the third season. Especially when many of us made that point at the time and it wasn't received at all.

Tbh I have always appreciated your style. Carry on :angel: :drool:

We will be outplayed in all 4 games but will probably win against one of Soton/Palace and draw the other (in a similar manner to Bournemouth away last year), and will fluke a win against one of Villa or Spurs, which will be enough to proclaim it as a turnaround and a new dawn.

One has to remember we got a lot more points than we deserved last year, and that earned us 8th place.

No away wins in 6. Less wins at home than Everton who are lucky to even still be in the league.

The scary thing is, we hugely outperformed our XG last season. I think we should’ve finished about 15th, but Hojlund finished 1 in every 2 shots.
We didn't. We scored exactly the amount of goals as the xG suggested. I think only Hojlund outperformed his xG.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/2023-2024/2023-2024-Premier-League-Stats

World class players will always outperform their xG as they don't always need clear cut chances to score goals. You can see that from Arsenal and City who outperform their xG by atleast 10 goals but last year we weren't even creating chances. 56.5 is pathetically low for a team trying for top 4. Even if we say we had world class players (which we do not) who can outperform their xG, its still scoring like 67 goals over the year, give or take. Based on very small sample of 3 games, we atleast seem to create a bit more this year but are useless at converting them. Its still early days though, it might peter out in due course.

Fair enough.

If INEOS are indeed serious about winning the big trophies (PL/CL) as they said and they weren’t just paying lip service, they ought to have been looking for a new manager behind the scenes long before today.

Injury excuse is also out of the window as well.

It was pretty public that they were looking at other options earlier in the summer. Issue was they clearly couldn't identify an obvious improvement. I imagine that view may change in the coming months.

We will be outplayed in all 4 games but will probably win against one of Soton/Palace and draw the other (in a similar manner to Bournemouth away last year), and will fluke a win against one of Villa or Spurs, which will be enough to proclaim it as a turnaround and a new dawn.
Probably. We’ll probably gain no more than 9 points (and that’s being optimistic) from our next 6 games.

I still believe his first season wasn't even that great minus a brief positive run. It was basically his peak, which really is pitiful after all this time to be looking back that far for his "best" football.

I agree but why’s there been such a huge drop off since his first season in terms of the team set up? There was ups and downs in that first season but we largely looked like a competent football team that was structurally sound. After that the wheels have fallen off completely and we look an absolute shambles with gaps all over the place. That first season couldn’t just have been down to the fact Rashford had the season of his life and Casemiro still had a bit left in the tank surely?

Fingers crossed, now that his lucky charm has left, there won't be anymore fluke points gained.

To me it would have been too early but December 2023 is when things became annoying because you don't have the excuse of not knowing the players or needing time to implement the bases of an efficient structure. Also our issues were obvious during preseason and he made no adjustment until late April.

I would've sacked him after Brighton(1-3 H), then after Palace (0-1 H), then after Galatasaray (2-3 H) & then after Man City (0-3 H) and then Copenhagen (3-4 A).

I actually didn't have much against him as a bloke, up until the last few months, where he's rapidly becoming pretty unlikeable with some of the utter guff he's chatting. It's all a bit sad to watch, in many ways.

I agree but why’s there been such a huge drop off since his first season in terms of the team set up? There was ups and downs in that first season but we largely looked like a competent football team that was structurally sound. After that the wheels have fallen off completely and we look an absolute shambles with gaps all over the place. That first season couldn’t just have been down to the fact Rashford had the season of his life and Casemiro still had a bit left in the tank surely?
You summed it up well at the end. The quality of coaching shines through time, we have gotten worse

Last edited:
I voted Sack, but I would give him until december if he is not top 4, then sack.

Whoever comes i do hope that "backing the manager" on transfer market is finished. Just hire a coach.
Look at team which Solskjaer left and this team (650 mil later) and tell me that inherited team couldn't have these results and performances.
They could and they did. Better even.

We should have known where this was heading when he bought and insisted on playing fecking Weghorst

INEOS made a huge mistake in keeping him in the summer, it's better to sake now, swallow a bit of pride and get a proper professional in to rescue the season. Ten Hag is an amateur otherwise he wouldn't be so bone headed with tactics, system and players that have let us down over the past two years - Casemiro and Rashford.

There is no harm in admitting, internally that you got it wrong, correcting the error and moving on. I agree with posters that have said forget about winning the title, for now, but just look for a coach who can better utilise what is clearly a talented squad with five fresh additions. Even under a sensible manager the likes of Casemiro don't exposed as much as they are being right now.

We can't wait till Christmas because doing so will allow him to feck up another European campaign, and we might need the EL to qualify for the CL and the next Club World Cup. If we don't start performing we are now at a big risk of getting left behind financially and in terms of prestige, City and Madrid look light years ahead of us already.

It was pretty public that they were looking at other options earlier in the summer. Issue was they clearly couldn't identify an obvious improvement. I imagine that view may change in the coming months.

He's so bad Roy fecking Hodgson would be an improvement.

We’re a weird bunch. Lend us Amorim please.
Don't know if he is able to turn the things around, only next season, and hopefully before that someone will come to replace the current one. If not it will be a complete waste of money.

We didn't. We scored exactly the amount of goals as the xG suggested. I think only Hojlund outperformed his xG.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/2023-2024/2023-2024-Premier-League-Stats

World class players will always outperform their xG as they don't always need clear cut chances to score goals. You can see that from Arsenal and City who outperform their xG by atleast 10 goals but last year we weren't even creating chances. 56.5 is pathetically low for a team trying for top 4. Even if we say we had world class players (which we do not) who can outperform their xG, its still scoring like 67 goals over the year, give or take. Based on very small sample of 3 games, we atleast seem to create a bit more this year but are useless at converting them. Its still early days though, it might peter out in due course.
We conceded 11 less than our xGA though. We got very lucky with a number of narrow wins. Otherwise we'd have been bottom half.

If these were performances and results worth sticking with, it would have been better to stick with Ole. At least our players showed balls and an ability to score goals. He would have been fine once he got rid of Ronaldo.

Everyone just kept turning backwards when there was yards of open space in front of them. We are a bunch of cowards under ETH.

INEOS made a huge mistake in keeping him in the summer, it's better to sake now, swallow a bit of pride and get a proper professional in to rescue the season. Ten Hag is an amateur otherwise he wouldn't be so bone headed with tactics, system and players that have let us down over the past two years - Casemiro and Rashford.

There is no harm in admitting, internally that you got it wrong, correcting the error and moving on. I agree with posters that have said forget about winning the title, for now, but just look for a coach who can better utilise what is clearly a talented squad with five fresh additions. Even under a sensible manager the likes of Casemiro don't exposed as much as they are being right now.

We can't wait till Christmas because doing so will allow him to feck up another European campaign, and we might need the EL to qualify for the CL and the next Club World Cup. If we don't start performing we are now at a big risk of getting left behind financially and in terms of prestige, City and Madrid look light years ahead of us already.

I really want Ten Hag to succeed, but he is making it more difficult to back him.

I see more progess with other teams and other new managers in just 6-7matches than we have with Ten Hag.

Maybe im harsh, i dont know..

It’s better to fail fast, than risk continuing with a flawed process.

If Ineos sacked him tomorrow and basically admit they got it wrong keeping him, I could respect that.

Main issue is who to replace him with. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons INEOS didn’t sack him. They will hopefully bide their time until the right option becomes available.