Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
If this is the case why is there such an aggressive pushback in this thread by some at people dissatisfied?
Because it was a strong performance.
You can get on the wrong end of a result despite playing very well. Just like you can play terribly and get a jammy result. This isn't a new phenomenon.

Aye. Very much seems to be the case. Too many have picked a side, and are incapable of budging. It's black or white. No shades of gray. Like if someone says they don't like potential managerial candidate to replace our current one, automatically jumped on for being a blind Ten Hag "cultist" :lol:

Or you get dog with a bone posters who will happily argue over something tiny for far too long, unable to just....let it go and move on, especially when it's two clearly entrenched posters, neither are going to change each others views, yet we've got to witness never ending dull echanges.

Imagine just having a range of different feelings and being able to adapt your opinions and views as things develop :nervous:

We're in a scenario whereby there's some rabid posters who will never take to him, no matter what he does. These are the posters who actually try to dismiss the fact that he's won two trophies, made it to 3 finals, got 3rd place in his first season and has the second highest points in the league out of all our post-Fergie managers. There's actually posters who will claim he's "worse than Moyes". When you have an agenda on the internet, you gotta stand by it at all costs.

However, while I can acknowledge that he has done some good, there's also been a-lot of bad. Last season was an absolute shambles barring an excellent FA Cup win. The problem is that we were so bad last season, that slight improvements won't be hard to find. The question is whether you think these improvements will be enough for us to turn into a genuinely good side who will do well this season? For me, it's still a no. The first 45 against Palace was a good watch and we should have been ahead. The problem was that lots of issues of the past raised their heads in the second half.

If we can put together some performances like the first half against Palace for a longer period and actually rack some wins up, then great, I'm open to him changing my mind. However, right now, I really just don't see him getting us enough goals/wins. The defence looks so much better with De Ligt, and we have definitely tightned up. So there are some positives, but lots of issues still remain.

Didn't catch the game, but looks like we created enough chances to score, and kept it fairly tight at the back? If so, it seems harsh to go after him for this game in particular, even though the result is not what we needed. Hopefully we can continue to string together good performances, and results will come, but it seems clear that we will have to keep many clean sheets to get wins consistently. We are simply not clinical upfront.

We're in a scenario whereby there's some rabid posters who will never take to him, no matter what he does. These are the posters who actually try to dismiss the fact that he's won two trophies, made it to 3 finals, got 3rd place in his first season and has the second highest points in the league out of all our post-Fergie managers. There's actually posters who will claim he's "worse than Moyes". When you have an agenda on the internet, you gotta stand by it at all costs.

However, while I can acknowledge that he has done some good, there's also been a-lot of bad. Last season was an absolute shambles barring an excellent FA Cup win. The problem is that we were so bad last season, that slight improvements won't be hard to find. The question is whether you think these improvements will be enough for us to turn into a genuinely good side who will do well this season? For me, it's still a no. The first 45 against Palace was a good watch and we should have been ahead. The problem was that lots of issues of the past raised their heads in the second half.

If we can put together some performances like the first half against Palace for a longer period and actually rack some wins up, then great, I'm open to him changing my mind. However, right now, I really just don't see him getting us enough goals/wins. The defence looks so much better with De Ligt, and we have definitely tightned up. So there are some positives, but lots of issues still remain.
I will use one of my 3 post a day to say that this is one of the best post on this site for many years.. And I agree with everything in this post

Didn't catch the game, but looks like we created enough chances to score, and kept it fairly tight at the back? If so, it seems harsh to go after him for this game in particular, even though the result is not what we needed. Hopefully we can continue to string together good performances, and results will come, but it seems clear that we will have to keep many clean sheets to get wins consistently. We are simply not clinical upfront.

They didn't offer much but had 3 huge chances. We passed around at the back a lot, created 3 good chances ourselves in the first half and not a lot, if anything in the second half.

This is a brilliant post, very well said. Really balanced analysis and exactly where I stand with him too.

Here's some more for added context:

Crystal Palace supporters are satisfied with the result because of their current form, and they created some solid chances and could've bagged the win on another day.

Man Utd supporters are satisfied with the result because they dominated the game for 60 mins, and created some solid chances and could've bagged the win on another day.

Can you see any difference in the standards and ambitions in either sets of supporters? Me neither.
Way to completely misrepresent something to make your point. Did anyone actually say they were satisfied with the result? All I see are people saying the performance was good and not the result. Disappointing result, encouraging performance.

You can’t logically argue that the means are more important than the ends simply because the means have a chance of getting us to the ends. That just doesn’t make any sense.
On a small sample size, it makes sense.

Let’s put it like this: if you massively outperform your xG in five games but are playing like shit, eventually you will start dropping points and get closer to your true level.

We have underperformed compared to our xG: there is nothing we can do about it now except practice finishing, gain confidence and get an experienced goalscorer in if needed in January.

We actually saw ten Hag's vision in action for the majority of the first half in action yesterday, and I was impressed. I don't care too much about the fact that we couldn't convert our chances as we will ultimately start to score goals as long as we keep on creating chances.

However, my concern is ten Hag's in game management as his substitutions made us progressively worse. There was no need to take off Zirkzee to play Rashford/Hojlund through the middle as either of them can't take care of the ball to save their lives. He followed this up with replacing Amad, instead of a visibly tiring Garnacho, and we then had a front three which kept giving the ball away and we reverted to last year's team. Didn't help that he kept Bruno who kept on turning over possession as well.

The problem with this scenario is that if we even continue to grow as a team and become capable to title challenges and deep European runs, this type of in game management is going to cost us in the crucial games that decide these trophies.
This is one of my biggest gripes with him and why I fear he's not an elite manager.

How many times did SAF turnaround a game with a substitution?

EtH, to be fair, is also a master at changing games with his subs. The problem is he usually makes us much worse.

His substitutions vs Brighton were very poor and ended up costing us and I feel he intervened again in a negative way vs Palace. They couldn't handle Zirkee and his link-up play...as you said, when he came off and we bought on Rashford and Hojlund it was the same old issues...not able to hold the ball, not able to keep possession.

When we get relegated we can proudly say that we went down playing ‘our way’.
How does that make sense? Based on stats we should be in top four right now.
We would have to be unlucky every game or players would have to deliberately miss chances all season.

Even the loss against Pool was avoidable if we hadn’t made those big individual errors and put some of our big chances away.

This is one of my biggest gripes with him and why I fear he's not an elite manager.

How many times did SAF turnaround a game with a substitution?

EtH, to be fair, is also a master at changing games with his subs. The problem is he usually makes us much worse.

His substitutions vs Brighton were very poor and ended up costing us and I feel he intervened again in a negative way vs Palace. They couldn't handle Zirkee and his link-up play...as you said, when he came off and we bought on Rashford and Hojlund it was the same old issues...not able to hold the ball, not able to keep possession.

This is spot on. You have to question if he really knows what he's doing in these cases. Making the right subs, at the right time is a big part of what makes a manager elite, or average.

I don't think that's actually true, at all. A convincing win on Saturday would have brought a smidgen of hope back to many posters, I reckon. However the same issues continue to crop up, despite some improvement.

By Christmas (which is what I always thought he should get) we’ll have a very good understanding of whether Zirkzee and Hojlund will be capable of scoring the goals we need. That’s also enough time to give us a fair assessment of what Ugarte brings to the team. I think he needs those 3 to have all cemented their place as first teamers, be in the top 6 with a realistic chance of top 4. Then he gets to the end of the season for me.We won’t be top 6 if those 3 ain’t performing well. And we can just add them to Antony and Mount as bad buys..

I don't think that's actually true, at all. A convincing win on Saturday would have brought a smidgen of hope back to many posters, I reckon. However the same issues continue to crop up, despite some improvement.

I'm not talking about rational posters with doubts. I'm talking about the handful of agenda driven melts in here.

The rest of your post basically summarised some of what I said in the rest of my post that you cut off in your quote.

Bruno plays every PL game, how would we know? Barnsley isn't an objective game to determine we're more fluid without him

Well if you want a fair comparison then despite the two assists we looked a lot less fluid against Barnsley when he came on.

That's him all over really, he puts up the numbers but the overall team game suffers.

I'm not talking about rational posters with doubts. I'm talking about the handful of agenda driven melts in here.

The rest of your post basically summarised some of what I said in the rest of my post that you cut off in your quote.

To play devil's advocate though, it can appear that there's more agenda driven melts, than there actually are in reality, and you'll find if/when ETH manages to deliver consistency in results and performances, they'll almost disappear.