Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Enjoy the calling of analysis from pundits stupid, as it regularly is. Will only make these pundits double down, but they will never be in a rush to praise United anyway. Shearer by no means the worst of them.

Quietly enjoying what ETH is building under the new structure (and to be fair, from before too)

Already a lot of experience between them, and (Martinez/MDL aside) they won't even be hitting their prime for a few years.

Got to accept they'll be growing pains in the meantime and inconsistent performances at times, but even then two trophies in two years and a squad in the ascendancy.

-- Hojlund (21) ---

Garnacho (20) ----- Mainoo (19) ----- Amad (22)

Kone (18) ------ Ugarte (23)

LB ----- Martinez/MDL ----- Yoro (18) ---- RB

GK

LvG, Rinus Michels and Kovacs are the clear top 3. Erik ten Hag over Koeman and de Boer for sure, and in terms as for Ajax maybe just Erik Ten Hag on par with Cruyff.

Cruyff never won the league with Ajax, did win the cup twice and won the Europacup II which might give him the edge.

Erik ten Hag finished 1st, four times in four full seasons, with a few cup victories and beautiful football, made Ajax competitive in Europe again. It is all context based though, as Ajax was really crap in the years before Ten Hag, especially in Europe.

However, I don't know exactly how strong PSV was in their time before Cruyff.

Jack Reynolds is also there, too long ago to form a meaningful opinion on my side. Someone more knowledgeable might give more context.

But I'm pretty sure most Ajax fans would have EtH ahead of de Boer and Koeman.
Cheers mate. Interesting that you consider EtH on par with Cruyff. Like you said about being ahead of de Boer and Koeman, I wonder whether majority of Ajax fans will agree with your EtH-Cruyff appreciation.

He was certainly my favourite option over Poch and Rose to take over after Rangnick's interim. It's sad that it really hasn't worked out for him at Utd as we had hoped. Even with hindsight I still believe he was the best available manager at the time of his appointment, I don't see anyone else available at the time who would have done a better job. Yet, I don't see him doing any better than he has done so far. We will certainly be better than last season (hard to do worse with that squad) but I don't see us challenging for anything beyond 4th, and even that might be a chore to achieve.

Last edited:

And this Erik, is why you’ve had control over transfers significantly reduced.

Can’t say the man doesn’t love himself a workhorse with limited talent though. Antony, Weghorst, Mount, Amrabat, Mctominay…

His desire to die on the Rashy hill is also going to end up costing him his job.

No doubt he's been waiting to have a go at Shearer since that interview after the FA Cup final :lol:

Can’t say the man doesn’t love himself a workhorse with limited talent though. Antony, Weghorst, Mount, Amrabat, Mctominay…

His desire to die on the Rashy hill is also going to end up costing him his job.

McT issue was never that he didn't deserve to be in the squad, it was that we really needed better quality starters.

Even Sir Alex appreciated many players that were graft over talent, and if we're being honest, McT has bailed us out often. Add to the fact that he has been here 22 years, and yeah there's a host of other players I'd see gone before him.

Cheers mate. Interesting that you consider EtH on par with Cruyff. Like you said about being ahead of de Boer and Koeman, I wonder whether majority of Ajax fans will agree with your EtH-Cruyff appreciation.

He was certainly my favourite option over Poch and Rose to take over after Rangnick's interim. It's sad that it really hasn't worked out for him at Utd as we had hoped. Even with hindsight I still believe he was the best available manager at the time of his appointment, I don't see anyone else who would have done a better job at the time. Yet, I don't see him doing any better than he has done so far. We will certainly be better than last season (hard to do worse with that squad) but I don't see us challenging for anything beyond 4th, and even that might be a chore to achieve.
Another Ajax supporter that agrees. Don't forget during Cruijff's reign it was way easier to keep players and tournaments were with way less teams. In the end, trophies count but what ETH did in 2018/1019 was a bigger deal than the cups in 1987 en 1992. One could argue even 1995 was easier back then. The Bosman arrest really fecked clubs from smaller leagues.

Regarding FdB: We should all be grateful he gave Ajax 4 championships and the CL money that came along with that. The football was a snoozefest after the first 2 seasons but without that money generated Overmars could not have given ETH and Bosz the squads needed to do what we did.

Last edited:

He was certainly my favourite option over Poch and Rose to take over after Rangnick's interim. It's sad that it really hasn't worked out for him at Utd as we had hoped. Even with hindsight I still believe he was the best available manager at the time of his appointment, I don't see anyone else who would have done a better job at the time. Yet, I don't see him doing any better than he has done so far. We will certainly be better than last season (hard to do worse with that squad) but I don't see us challenging for anything beyond 4th, and even that might be a chore to achieve.
At this time, I'd never even heard of Eth. But it seemed like 90% of our fanbase thought he was 'that guy'. What was this based on?

I wanted Poch. I was impressed with how he had Spurs playing in those games vs Juve in the CL, I thought Spurs looked class. So I wanted Poch here to get us playing like that.

McT issue was never that he didn't deserve to be in the squad, it was that we really needed better quality starters.

Even Sir Alex appreciated many players that were graft over talent, and if we're being honest, McT has bailed us out often. Add to the fact that he has been here 22 years, and yeah there's a host of other players I'd see gone before him.
Fair enough, but he isn't even half the player Fletcher was. Chips in with the odd goal, but limited in every other aspect.

Another Ajax supporter that agrees. Don't forget during Cruijff's reign it was way easier to keep players and tournaments were with way less teams. In the end, trophies count but what ETH did in 2018/1019 was a bigger deal than the cups in 1987 en 1992. One could argue even 1995 was easier back then. The Bosman arrest really fecked clubs from smaller leagues.
Very true, the landscape of European football has changed a lot since that time in favour of teams from the bigger leagues. Still Cruijff is credited with implementing a transformational style of play which brought long-term success to Ajax, I don't know whether EtH can be credited similarly.

Wasn't the issue that McTominay wanted to leave because he wanted more game time than he was likely to get?

No one can say he hasn't stuck by Rashford.
He's a staunch defender of underperforming players, that's fine. But it's unfortunate, the players he 'puts an arm around' like Rashford and Sancho in the past, don't reciprocate that faith.

Enjoy the calling of analysis from pundits stupid, as it regularly is. Will only make these pundits double down, but they will never be in a rush to praise United anyway. Shearer by no means the worst of them.
Yeh, I hope there’s loads of fight and “fu.k you kind of apathy towards pundits. They were just the worst last season so he’s nothing to lose by calling them the thick rag paper narrative numpties they are.

Regarding FdB: We should all be grateful he gave Ajax 4 championships and the CL money that came along with that. The football was a snoozefest after the first 2 seasons but without that money generated Overmars could not have given ETH and Bosz the squads needed to do what we did.
I think people on here, or outside the Netherlands in general, keep forgetting or not fully realizing how important style of play is at Ajax. Someone like Mourinho, even if he won everything there is to win, could never be considered a great Ajax coach. Successful, sure, but not great; that requires entertaining, attacking football as well.

And so many on here keeping talking about De Boer as if he was considered a great coach in the Netherlands, while he actually never had that reputation.

Very true, the landscape of European football has changed a lot since that time in favour of teams from the bigger leagues. Still Cruijff is credited with implementing a transformational style of play which brought long-term success to Ajax, I don't know whether EtH can be credited similarly.
All in all Cruijff IS Ajax. Johan has done more for us than anyone else. Without Cruijff no 4 CL cups, without Cruijff not the most influential academy in the world. (LVG's win in 1995 was made possible by what Cruijff had done with our youth academy the years before) Cruijff was the one that started the velvet revolution in 2011 which was the start for 2017/2022. When we reached the semis in 2019 I looked up and said to myself: "You did it, big man. You helped us out once more."

But purely looking at what he achieved with Ajax as a trainer that was not on par as what he did as player or as the conscience of Ajax after all that.

I think people on here, or outside the Netherlands in general, keep forgetting or not fully realizing how important style of play is at Ajax. Someone like Mourinho, even if he won everything there is to win, could never be considered a great Ajax coach. Successful, sure, but not great; that requires entertaining, attacking football as well.

And so many on here keeping talking about De Boer as if he was considered a great coach in the Netherlands, while he actually never had that reputation.
I once said (I believe it was in 2013) that FdB is a great coach but not for Ajax. I still firmly stand by the latter, not so sure about the former but we should be eternally grateful for what he did for Ajax as coach.

ETH is always going to defend his players, no matter how poorly they are playing ( ie Rashford ).

After the media meltdown after the Sancho reply who can blame him ?

Does not mean you have to start him every game though.

ETH is always going to defend his players, no matter how poorly they are playing ( ie Rashford ).

After the media meltdown after the Sancho reply who can blame him ?

Does not mean you have to start him every game though.
Totally agree with this. Only a fool wouldn't see what we see but no way can he come out and say the guy is lazy and coasting through these years.

Keep the atmosphere positive and keep discussions behind doors, I've no doubt rashford knows the real thoughts.

I'm not defending Hag as I'm pretty sick of him, but most managers would do this.

You never know what is behind the words but if he really believes it is a bad idea to sell McTominay for this kind of money and Rashford should not be criticized I really question his abilities as football manager on this level.

Quite promising that Ashworth didnt care about ETH's opinion on McTominay and it seems has kept him in the dark over Sancho.

You never know what is behind the words but if he really believes it is a bad idea to sell McTominay for this kind of money and Rashford should not be criticized I really question his abilities as football manager on this level.

I watched the whole interview, when did he say it was a bad idea?

Do you honestly believe he wouldn't stick up for his players to the press? Especially Shearer? Come on.

Quite promising that Ashworth didnt care about ETH's opinion on McTominay and it seems has kept him in the dark over Sancho.

Bit of a stretch

Its astonishing that in one interview you both expect him to essentially come out and say took rashford off because he was crap, sold McT because he was shit and they are doing there best to sell Sancho because he is a waster. Get a grip, you cleary have no idea about management.

Last edited:
Bit of a stretch
Its astonishing that in one interview you both expect him to essentially come out and say took rashford off because he was crap, sold McT because he was shit and they are doing there best to sell Sancho because he is a waster. Get a grip, you cleary have no idea about management.

Who are you even talking to

Transition till when, should be the question?

Posted this a few posts up, this is the team that he is building:

For a ridiculously young team there is already experience there, and trophies. In a few years when they are hitting their prime we will be competing with the best.

In the next years there will be some good performances and some that aren't. Inconsistency is part of the growing pains with young players.

-- Hojlund (21) ---

Garnacho (20) ----- Mainoo (19) ----- Amad (22)

Kone (18) ------ Ugarte (23)

LB ----- Martinez/MDL ----- Yoro (18) ---- RB

GK

I don’t think I mentioned rashford. Or craps shits and wasters, so it just looks like a rant at the sky.

All I said was it’s nice to finally have a noticeable disconnect between the manager and someone with oversight deciding on how to build the squad.

If you read what I wrote I said you both.

Rant at the sky is a bit rich. You have no idea if Ashworth "didnt care about ETH's opinion on McTominay" or he "has kept him in the dark over Sancho."

That was my point. You are assuming this from what he said, but do you honestly expect him to say different? I.e he was glad McT went or we really want to sell Sancho? Surely not.

He can’t use any more excuses this year. He’s been backed and got every single target for the positions he wanted. No more excuses! Coach these players to play decent football and as a unit!

At this time, I'd never even heard of Eth. But it seemed like 90% of our fanbase thought he was 'that guy'. What was this based on?

I wanted Poch. I was impressed with how he had Spurs playing in those games vs Juve in the CL, I thought Spurs looked class. So I wanted Poch here to get us playing like that.
For anyone who followed his work at Ajax, it was hard not to be highly impressed: style and titles and going deep in European competitions which Ajax hadn't achieved for a while. Personally I was far more impressed by what he achieved than what Poch had done, though impressive as well. For me, Poch just gave off a feeling of "won't quite make it at a top club with title ambitions" which ten Hag didn't, subjective I guess.

For anyone who followed his work at Ajax, it was hard not to be highly impressed: style and titles and going deep in European competitions which Ajax hadn't achieved for a while. Personally I was far more impressed by what he achieved than what Poch had done, though impressive as well. For me, Poch just gave off a feeling of "won't quite make it at a top club with title ambitions" which ten Hag didn't, subjective I guess.

His European record outside Ajax's 2019 CL run and semifinal loss to Pochettino's Spurs isn't very impressive though. As time goes by its looking more like a one off and unlikely to be replicated here

His European record outside Ajax's 2019 CL run and semifinal loss to Pochettino's Spurs isn't very impressive though. As time goes by its looking more like a one off and unlikely to be replicated here
This is not completely true though. There were some disappointments in the years after, moments of naivety, sometimes fecked by referees and stuff (a lot of the stuff that caused Fergie to win the CL only twice during his time here, it is very difficult to het far in the CL consistently).

However in his last season at Ajax, he won 6 group games in the CL, something only Real Madrid/Barca/City/Bayern at their best manage to do. To do that with Ajax is just crazy, and especially the manner in which it was done.

I remember Ajax playing Chelsea completely off the park in Stamford Bridge, only to be fecked by the referee in a disastrous way. I think Ajax was leading them 4-1 at one point, and it looked like it was gojng to be a beating.

He had to rebuild the 2019 team, and it happened almost seamless.