Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
We were an decent team under Ole. It became evident that he couldn't take the next step.

We hired one of the most sought after head coaches in Europe with the idea that he would take that step. The plan felt pretty clearly outlined that he would have a free year, then some progress then he would be expected to at least challenge for the title.

He has been backed in a manner that any manager would dream of, in nearly every way. He produced the worst league campaign in modern history.

So when he has never ever for a moment said "part of last season was my tactics being wrong, I'll fix it" or taken any responsibility and then just says that as if we are silly to expect otherwise. Then yes it's annoying.
Did people genuinely think in year 2 we would challenge for the title?

I don’t particularly care if ETH is the one to make us good again or it is someone after him but he has constantly said ‘we need to improve etc.’ And blamed injuries when we had a lot of injuries. Not sure what more you’d expect there, it sounds more like you don’t like his personality. I’m intrigued to see this season, he needs to deliver and it will be fascinating to see the same manager pre and post Ineos.

The quote people reacted to is a fact though, we are undeniably a team in transition. New ownership, new style of recruiting younger players, shipping out many of the names who were big signings and regular players for us. People need to start reading things and not just reacting to what they want them to mean.

So after this transfer window the entirety of our squad is composed of players which fall into the following categories:
- Signed under EtH
- Given new long-term contracts/captain armband under EtH
- Promoted by EtH into the first team

The only exceptions being Maguire and Lindelof (who are 4th/5th choices in the position where we signed 3 players under EtH). And maybe you could argue that Amad already was in the first team under Ole.

Plus 9 players in the squad signed under EtH either played under him or played in the Dutch league before.

Surely at least “it’s the players” excuse should be dead and buried now? Of course he did not get all his first choices but no manager does. He repeatedly indicated himself that it is important for him to have a significant say and veto over transfers. I think there are very few managers who at the start of the third season were given an opportunity to reshape a squad to such an extent and had such a backing in the transfer market.

It is his squad now and he has to deliver. Plus the backroom staff was also reshaped. A significantly improved performances and top-4 is a must. He has mitigating circumstances but honestly we have to have some standards. He maybe can be excused for not challenging for the title but say 5th in the league and only a mild/moderate improvements in performance and he must be out.

Oh Ten Hag, our philosopher. Three years in and we're still in transition. Can't be blamed if we finish 8th again, eeh? We're in transition, so just be patient. I was expecting a new standards speech, but it looks like standards are in transition as well.
Delusional stuff.
We've spent around 200m this summer while Liverpool have only signed one injury prone winger for 13m and yet they are still arguably favourites to win on Sunday. Says it all about our manager.

Did people genuinely think in year 2 we would challenge for the title?

I don’t particularly care if ETH is the one to make us good again or it is someone after him but he has constantly said ‘we need to improve etc.’ And blamed injuries when we had a lot of injuries. Not sure what more you’d expect there, it sounds more like you don’t like his personality. I’m intrigued to see this season, he needs to deliver and it will be fascinating to see the same manager pre and post Ineos.

The quote people reacted to is a fact though, we are undeniably a team in transition. New ownership, new style of recruiting younger players, shipping out many of the names who were big signings and regular players for us. People need to start reading things and not just reacting to what they want them to mean.

It has to be ETH. If we're consistent, it'd be unfair to expect the next manager to make us title contenders or make the later stages of the CL with ETH's players. We'll have to give the new guy a minimum of 3 more years and a lot of money before the team is really his.

A fair result for the first season would have been 5th or 6th according to most pundits, instead we were third and won efl.

The second season was a write off due to the injuries particularly in defence. Maybe with more cowardly tactics we could have finished a bit higher. We still managed to have two young players break through and won the FA cup.

Your expectations are a lot higher than those of the average fan. The PL is a lot stronger than five years ago.

I don't think too much bravery was the issue last season.

Discuss...

Compare this, with the team that he fields with all the new signings of the past 2 season. Where should we be and what else needs to be done...

Probably, we need to shift all the players pre-2022 to have a meaningful and imposing team.

What happened to Lindelof then?

Ten Hag needs to stop messing about now

3rd season. Been backed heavily in the market - again. Been allowed to bring fresh staff. Still playing his own odd brand of football.

If the top 4 is looking an uphill battle come November then patience is surely going to run out

I don't think too much bravery was the issue last season.
We could have abandoned the high press to accommodate our back line. Ten Hag said he didn‘t want to change his strategy for the season because it would set back the progress.

You could argue the backline wasn‘t brave enough to step up.

A fair result for the first season would have been 5th or 6th according to most pundits, instead we were third and won efl.

The second season was a write off due to the injuries particularly in defence. Maybe with more cowardly tactics we could have finished a bit higher. We still managed to have two young players break through and won the FA cup.

Your expectations are a lot higher than those of the average fan. The PL is a lot stronger than five years ago.
Nice propaganda, the outcome for the first season was good but in reality we only played well for about 3 months and ten hag had to abandon has game plan after getting hammered in the first two games. We also finished third in a pretty weak league where Liverpool had a terrible season, spurs imploded and villa had Gerrard as manager. We also got absolutely battered in a number of games

Last season the league got stronger and we got worse. The injuries were a factor but ten hags bizarre tactics were apparent from the first game and made the impact of the injuries worse.

There is no discernable approach we are going to build upon to improve the team, i am not really sure anyone knows what ten hag is trying to achieve but when he tries to move away from the pragmatic tactics deployed in most of his first season he clearly struggles.

It's interesting to compare to us to emerys villa who had a clearly defined approach within weeks of him taking over

Nice propaganda, the outcome for the first season was good but in reality we only played well for about 3 months and ten hag had to abandon has game plan after getting hammered in the first two games. We also finished third in a pretty weak league where Liverpool had a terrible season, spurs imploded and villa had Gerrard as manager. We also got absolutely battered in a number of games

Last season the league got stronger and we got worse. The injuries were a factor but ten hags bizarre tactics were apparent from the first game and made the impact of the injuries worse.

There is no discernable approach we are going to build upon to improve the team, i am not really sure anyone knows what ten hag is trying to achieve but when he tries to move away from the pragmatic tactics deployed in most of his first season he clearly struggles.

It's interesting to compare to us to emerys villa who had a clearly defined approach within weeks of him taking over
If you can‘t see what we are trying to do, that‘s on you. I think first half against Brighton and part of the first half against Fulham are where we want to be (minus missing chances).

The goal is domination all over the pitch. High press, win the second balls, artificial transitions when playing out the back.

Probably, we need to shift all the players pre-2022 to have a meaningful and imposing team.
I’m personally not judging ten Hag critically until he’s given de Jong (first choice target) and Tagliafico (will unlock chemistry between Licha, De Ligt, Onana, and Mazraoui).

If you can‘t see what we are trying to do, that‘s on you. I think first half against Brighton and part of the first half against Fulham are where we want to be (minus missing chances).

The goal is domination all over the pitch. High press, win the second balls, artificial transitions when playing out the back.
Oh yeah domination all over the pitch that clearly defined tactical plan. I can see we are trying to press and win the ball back high up the pitch but there has to be more than that. What is our plan in possession?

Playing with a midfield isn't cowardly. We literally played a high press with a low block. To spin this on anything other than tactical suicide is giving the guy a get out of jail free card.

Oh yeah domination all over the pitch that clearly defined tactical plan. I can see we are trying to press and win the ball back high up the pitch but there has to be more than that. What is our plan in possession?
Indeed :lol:

With regards to the possession part, there's a few patterns of play, but nothing outstanding and frankly I've seen better from managers lower down the league. We still avoid our midfield far too often and are far too open on the defensive transition.

With regards to the possession part, there's a few patterns of play, but nothing outstanding and frankly I've seen better from managers lower down the league. We still avoid our midfield far too often and are far too open on the defensive transition.
Yeah I see teams with new managers in place with more of a plan in possession

Patterns
1 Our wingers excel at making runs in behind and we have players who can play the passes into those channels.
2 Overloading one side to create room in the center and other side.

I‘m sure there are more that I haven‘t picked up on. If we scored more from our chances created, we would not be having this discussion.

The defensive transitions were better than last season, but we did revert in the latter parts of the first two games. We need to make progress in managing the game on the field, when fatigue sets in.

I think there is plenty room for improvement, but I can see where we want to go.

Patterns
1 Our wingers excel at making runs in behind and we have players who can play the passes into those channels.
2 Overloading one side to create room in the center and other side.

I‘m sure there are more that I haven‘t picked up on. If we scored more from our chances created, we would not be having this discussion.

The defensive transitions were better than last season, but we did revert in the latter parts of the first two games. We need to make progress in managing the game on the field, when fatigue sets in.

I think there is plenty room for improvement, but I can see where we want to go.
The big problem I can see from this is how ridiculously dependent our high press is on Mason Mount. I have my reservations on Mount but won't indulge them on here, however it really shouldn't be the case that we feel wide open as soon as he goes off.

Brighton were probably good value for the win by the way, we just played less shit than we did last season.

In our third season the bar for progress is way too low.

Press to get the ball and give it back again, rinse and repeat.

The big problem I can see from this is how ridiculously dependent our high press is on Mason Mount. I have my reservations on Mount but won't indulge them on here, however it really shouldn't be the case that we feel wide open as soon as he goes off.

Brighton were probably good value for the win by the way, we just played less shit than we did last season.

In our third season the bar for progress is way too low.
Agree on Mount, he is an intelligent presser. When he comes off, the press is not as good: we need to work on that.

I think the level we are trying to get to is set very high. To get there and be consistent will take time.

No wonder you're still classed as a new member three years in if this is type of shite you come out with. Trophies are literally the aim of the game.
Only to win the FA-Cup and League Cup in the next years will surely make happy the board.

I do somewhat agree that his first season didn't see much great football but hitting 75 points was a good start in the league regardless so we can't be too harsh. His first season was a success.
To win the League, 3rd place in the league and to reach the FA-Cup final was surely positive.

But i wanna see a clear playing-style and this is still not the case.......especially Rashford has saved Ten Hag in his first season (Of course Rashford is part of the team).

So yeah " we didn't see much great football" in the first season...........last season was awful.

Ten Hag is now in his third season and he was surely involved in most transfers.........we must see a control/dominant playing-style.

No wonder you're still classed as a new member three years in if this is type of shite you come out with. Trophies are literally the aim of the game.
Fa cup and League Cup but nowhere near competing for big boy trophies and still unsure whether the style of play he's going for will work or justifiable. He's got more of a point than you think.

United need to at some point consistently play well. If he's not doing well by December we should get rid.

It has to be ETH. If we're consistent, it'd be unfair to expect the next manager to make us title contenders or make the later stages of the CL with ETH's players. We'll have to give the new guy a minimum of 3 more years and a lot of money before the team is really his.
Under the previous shit show, that was true, because we had Moyes (wanted us to play like Everton), LVG (high possession), Mou (counter) and Ole (counter) so, apart from Ole who didn’t really change too much tactically, we’ve been lurching through 2-3 year period where we’ve been signing players who just don’t fit the managers system. Even Ole who had some continuity had to deal with having all the Mou signings and even some legacy LVG.

Now if ETH is sacked, it doesn’t really affect recruitment because Ineos have a style of play in mind and will keep recruiting for it. So, let’s say a new manager comes in tomorrow, we should expect to see things much quicker. Half the battle for LVG, Mou, Ole and ETH was trying to win things whilst managing a dressing room full of players on big money who didn’t fit the system at all. That’s slowly changing now with Ineos.

Agree on Mount, he is an intelligent presser. When he comes off, the press is not as good: we need to work on that.

I think the level we are trying to get to is set very high. To get there and be consistent will take time.
I'd say three years is enough time, I've seen managers do it in one year. Let's see if he gets it this year.

Its a big issue for me that the system works based on one player, like I said I won't give my opinions on the player but it's a poor reflection on Ten Hag however you want to spin it.

Oh Ten Hag, our philosopher. Three years in and we're still in transition. Can't be blamed if we finish 8th again, eeh? We're in transition, so just be patient. I was expecting a new standards speech, but it looks like standards are in transition as well.
Delusional stuff.
Sorting this shite show of a club out will take much much much longer than 3 years. Sorry there isn’t a magic wand that can be waved where we suddenly compete with a peak Man City and Real Madrid.. but it’s going to take a long time.

The club has been at one of its worst spots in its history, run into the ground and it’s been progressively getting worse and worse behind the scenes for long before fergie left.

ETH has had to deal with more than any manager I can remember in recent history. He’s over every back page this morning for a comment he made.. managing man united is pressure! Managing a struggling man united is beyond pressure. It’s a bloody difficult job that everyone thinks they can do better. They can’t, they haven’t yet, have they? (since fergie) he’s won two trophies. He’s working on it.

Saying that, he has to do much much better this season. We have to be in the mix for longer, we have to be competitive, play some nice football and be a champions league side by the end of the season. These should be the realistic measures.

this club won’t be winning major honours for a while yet, regardless of the manager.

I'd say three years is enough time, I've seen managers do it in one year. Let's see if he gets it this year.

Its a big issue for me that the system works based on one player, like I said I won't give my opinions on the player but it's a poor reflection on Ten Hag however you want to spin it.
No manager could fix MU in one year, that‘s delusional.

Let‘s see how we press without Mount, he‘s injured. No, the pressing system isn‘t based on one player, it takes 11 to make it work.

No manager could fix MU in one year, that‘s delusional.

Let‘s see how we press without Mount, he‘s injured. No, the pressing system isn‘t based on one player, it takes 11 to make it work.
Absolutely, which is why the fact it falls apart when one player comes off is concerning.

With regards to the first season, I think he did a good job. He was adaptable and pragmatic, but the second season really soured things for me. The Coventry game was something of a tipping point for me.

Absolutely, which is why the fact it falls apart when one player comes off is concerning.

With regards to the first season, I think he did a good job. He was adaptable and pragmatic, but the second season really soured things for me. The Coventry game was something of a tipping point for me.
I lost it after the Brentford game: I think that was our most dismal performance. A complete lack of effort and not following instructions.

The Coventry game collapse was weird; we have seen it several times though, like against Chelsea.

I lost it after the Brentford game: I think that was our most dismal performance. A complete lack of effort and not following instructions.

The Coventry game collapse was weird; we have seen it several times though, like against Chelsea.
Yep. Brentford for me. Think that was the worst Utd performance I’d ever seen.

Yes I've said he did well in his first season. I don't think the football was particularly good but not horrendous. I was still on board then.

You paint an incredibly generous perspective of last season. It was a complete disaster unlike anything we have seen in the league. He had injuries but so did other teams. The injuries may have stopped us having a good season, it was his insistence in vacating midfield and letting the defence get pushed deep that made it a catastrophic season to watch.

My expectations are what he was brought here to do or at least clear signs of progress towards it rather than looking further away than ever despite him being given everything a manager could dream of.

He's on extremely thin ice and

The job of a Manchester United manager, first and foremost, is to win trophies; which he has done.

Not league cups it isn't. The goal always has to be either competing for the biggest honours or progressing towards the next time we will in the best way possible.

Ten Hag job isn't to fix United, there's an executive team for that. His job is to get us playing football to an appropriate level, and in that aspect he isn't doing a good job.

Not league cups it isn't. The goal always has to be either competing for the biggest honours or progressing towards the next time we will in the best way possible.

League Cup is a classic 'springboard' trophy. It's not on the same level as the other trophies but when you are building a squad it is a good one to get your mojo pumping

Have we all collectively scrubbed our brains of getting beat 7-0 by Liverpool?

It was a terrible result and the second half display was depressing, but let's be honest it was a completely freak game where we could have run away with it first half and then everything went in for them in the second

There have been worse overall performances