Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
His selling point for staying was to carry on and build in the spirit of the FA cup final, so any assessment should start from that… Juventus had a very similar issue, they won Italian cup as well with a strong display, yet the manager AND almost all the starting eleven has been sacked. My point is: a different manager will need an entire restock of the squad, which is going to cost a fortune and one half if you do not have a very very able sporting director.

Edit: there is the FFP constraint as well: if current players cannot be sold, new players cannot be added… that being the case, keeping the current manager is the obvious/only path forward.

What’s best for the club is to support the players and the manager. You aren’t doing that by doom mongering.

How am I doom mongering? All I did was dispute your point that it's mental that the manager couldn't be sacked before December. I'm just being realistic based on the situation he's found himself in.

How am I doom mongering? All I did was dispute your point that it's mental that the manager couldn't be sacked before December. I'm just being realistic based on the situation he's found himself in.
You are speculating on the manager getting sacked before Xmas after two games, where we didn’t look anything like last season. Why even go there? What you are doing is mental as I have said.

Jeez at least wait until there is a bad run of games and we look poor.

You are speculating on the manager getting sacked before Xmas after two games, where we didn’t look anything like last season. Why even go there? What you are doing is mental as I have said.

Jeez at least wait until there is a bad run of games and we look poor.
Not just after 2 games but after 2 season and 2 games. The issue is not the bad 2 games we had but those games came just after a Horrid season with the worse Utd finish in the epl. Dont mention the FA as we all knwo Var saved us vs Coventry and a cup run cant be compared by league position.

When will he decide to fall out with one of the summer signigns and leave them out of the squad until February?

Not just after 2 games but after 2 season and 2 games. The issue is not the bad 2 games we had but those games came just after a Horrid season with the worse Utd finish in the epl. Dont mention the FA as we all knwo Var saved us vs Coventry and a cup run cant be compared by league position.

Last year was last year, why harp on it. Injuries, lack of goal scoring threats, bad individual play, and poor play style cost United far too many points...yet they "only" 8 points from 4th and 6 from 5th.

United have played better against Fulham and Brighton compared to lots of their league matches from last year, yet still have a significant amount of room to improve individually and as a team once they get up to speed.

We bossed Coventry and conceded some ridiculous goals. Beat City and Liverpool to win a trophy.

Still complaining.

We have a neutral goal difference already and did not look good in anynof the games. Not sure you find many positives
I’d say we’ve looked better in the first 2 games of this season than we did last year. Wolves demolished us last season at home at the start of the season even though we won. We dominated Brighton in the first half at their ground and limited them to no chances. That’s improvement but we’re not at the stage yet where we can dominate teams for 90 mins. I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Liverpool on Sunday.

Last year was last year, why harp on it. Injuries, lack of goal scoring threats, bad individual play, and poor play style cost United far too many points...yet they "only" 8 points from 4th and 6 from 5th.

United have played better against Fulham and Brighton compared to lots of their league matches from last year, yet still have a significant amount of room to improve individually and as a team once they get up to speed.

Last season ended merely months ago. We've seen signs of the same crippling on field issues the team faced last season in the opening two matches and in preseason

I can't see how so many can hold these two games up to represent some kind of vast improvement on last season. We actually had a few games last season with better performances.

Ten Hag is on the backfoot already and he's still in the desperate timeline of where he needs results before performance and style to keep the heat off him. We should be in an advanced stage of his on field philosophy at this stage, a point many newer managers have managed to get their squads to in a much shorter time.

I don't think there's much more to Ten Hag beyond what we're seeing

I agree with this. I’m a bit bemused by all the giddiness about Ruud being our manager by Christmas. Love the Bloke, but massively under qualified and it would be a very questionable move.
We have been making only questionable moves with regards to managerial hiring/firing decisions since more than a decade now. So it would fit right in.

What’s best for the club is to support the players and the manager. You aren’t doing that by doom mongering.
What's best for the club is not to accept mediocrity. Some here have dropped the standards so low that a defeat against Brighton is seen as progress just because we conceded less shots than last time.

Last season ended merely months ago. We've seen signs of the same crippling on field issues the team faced last season in the opening two matches and in preseason

I can't see how so many can hold these two games up to represent some kind of vast improvement on last season. We actually had a few games last season with better performances.

Ten Hag is on the backfoot already and he's still in the desperate timeline of where he needs results before performance and style to keep the heat off him. We should be in an advanced stage of his on field philosophy at this stage, a point many newer managers have managed to get their squads to in a much shorter time.

I don't think there's much more to Ten Hag beyond what we're seeing
The bolded bit is the crux of the matter. Do we see Eth as someone who will drastically improve us suddenly after 2 seasons here where he has shown to be average?

:lol:

Re Ruud though, I seriously hope not. Ruud shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list. Hell the stories were that he wasn't even wanting to be a head coach at the moment. No way he's suddenly ready to manage United within a few months and with little experience. It'd just be another poor decision by the club with no logic to it. We turned our noses up at much better coaches this summer.

I meant he’ll be in place as an interim for a few weeks until a permanent is appointed.

How much time though?
I thought he was gone after the cup final. We turned up in that game. The first two this season were better than last season, shouldn't have lost to Brighton but that happens .

I think he knows he's on a sticky wicket and every bad game or results could get him the sack, even this weekend coming he could get it or people call for it.
Time is needed to get these new signatures to gell, until then imo he won't go. And if he does RVN will take over imo. That could well have been what ineos intended when he was brought in..

I thought he was gone after the cup final. We turned up in that game. The first two this season were better than last season, shouldn't have lost to Brighton but that happens .

I think he knows he's on a sticky wicket and every bad game or results could get him the sack, even this weekend coming he could get it or people call for it.
Time is needed to get these new signatures to gell, until then imo he won't go. And if he does RVN will take over imo. That could well have been what ineos intended when he was brought in..

That's not saying much to be fair.

He won't be getting sacked in the next few games or months. But I feel if we're still going through the motions and off the pace by November he should go.

Meanwhile, they basically knocked us out if not for that very debatable var decision on the 121st minute!, a fecking championship side ffs. Bossed them..
Yes, we did. They equalised with two exceptionally fortunate goals and a contentious penalty. As for offside, he's offside.

Like Zirkzee at the weekend.

No United fan wants to lose against Liverpool. Stop talking nonsense.
Kind of.

I've spoken to a twenty-year Stretford Ender this week who said though they hope we win, losing win't be so bad as it may help heave EtH. A few approving nods accompanied the suggestion.

Needless to say, this person thought Coventry dominated us.

He won't be getting sacked in the next few games or months. But I feel if we're still going through the motions and off the pace by November he should go.
Personally, don't think Ineos will replace him until they can either justify their guy or some great manager appears willing.

The former fills me with dread.

Last edited:

Last year's poor style was caused by who? Injuries do hamper your team but most injuries were muscular that leads to things not right on the training pitch, and who is responsible for that? We were moslty outplayed by most teams and ETH himself and the ETH ''inners' brought every excuse they could find to try to justify us having our worst epl season ever!! Any top and serious club would have let that shitshow going and keep a subpar manager at the helm!!

We ''played better'' then 2 teams that finished bottome half! One match we lost and the other we scrapped through. Brighton had bloody Milner and Gilmour that bossed the midfield!
We bossed Coventry and conceded some ridiculous goals. Beat City and Liverpool to win a trophy.

Still complaining.
No we did not dont be delusional !! We beat city because we went away from his ridiculious style and satand counter (and city making a blunder)! Liverpool were the better team, much better actually but thank god we beat them. You cant compare a cup run with the league. Also, what happened in the CL? Finished last in an easy group !!
exactly. The delusion here is incredible

No we did not dont be delusional !! We beat city because we went away from his ridiculious style and satand counter (and city making a blunder)! Liverpool were the better team, much better actually but thank god we beat them. You cant compare a cup run with the league. Also, what happened in the CL? Finished last in an easy group !!

Going away from EtH's style shows the tactical flexibility hitherto denied, and as much as 'Liverpool were the better team', United still found a way to beat them.

Agree about the CL, and haven't compared the (injury hit) league campaign to a cup run.

Who is it you want to replace ten Hag, anyway? Give us a name.

For United.

I don't see how you can disqualify their experience playing at Ajax under the same manager. You're making it seem like they are strangers who played together for the first time and need patience to gel.

On the other hand you have multitudes of posts expressing the opinion that these players should adjust seamlessly at united since they already know each other and the manager

Last year's poor style was caused by who? Injuries do hamper your team but most injuries were muscular that leads to things not right on the training pitch, and who is responsible for that? We were moslty outplayed by most teams and ETH himself and the ETH ''inners' brought every excuse they could find to try to justify us having our worst epl season ever!! Any top and serious club would have let that shitshow going and keep a subpar manager at the helm!!
I'm not sure you can blame the manager alone for injuries, outside of players being over played due to the unavailability of others (and that is a possible factor in the season before last). Things like substandard training facilities and medical support have a big impact. Plus over taxing pre seasons. There's a systemic issue here, that was identified by INEOS and is being addressed, by all accounts.

We ''played better'' then 2 teams that finished bottome half! One match we lost and the other we scrapped through. Brighton had bloody Milner and Gilmour that bossed the midfield!

There's no delusion. We have been substandard in a number of areas, many of which are outside the control of the manager, many of which affect the performance of players, and were to do with how the overall club was run. All those things matter and all those things helped sink all our previous past Fergie managers, and all those things are being addressed. No point in being unfairly judgemental of ETH before those things have been fixed.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can disqualify their experience playing at Ajax under the same manager. You're making it seem like they are strangers who played together for the first time and need patience to gel.

On the other hand you have multitudes of posts expressing the opinion that these players should adjust seamlessly at united since they already know each other and the manager
Time passed, new country, different expectations, lack of training time, different surroundings all matter.

Maybe their familiarity with each other might help them mesh more quickly, but I don't see why it's an immediate shortcut. They have to be trained as a unit to play for United, not Ajax.

ETH needs to secure champions league football either by being top 4 or winning Europa League as a minimum. He also needs to bring on the highly promising youngsters.

In his first season, he overplayed too many starters and there was a massive fall off post the Carbao Cup win. The league and FA cup’s should be used to blood youngsters in the early rounds and give starts to squad players. If he uses the same players across the board he deserves to be sacked as he is putting his own selfish and short term interests ahead of the clubs.

Time passed, new country, different expectations, lack of training time, different surroundings all matter.

Maybe their familiarity with each other might help them mesh more quickly, but I don't see why it's an immediate shortcut. They have to be trained as a unit to play for United, not Ajax.

I agree to a certain degree with this added context but that's not how you framed the original post I responded to at all

Maybe . I lost a lot of confidence in him last season OK loads of injuries didn't help.
If the results are poor or objective displays as well , I'm sure he will go sooner rather than later, until that happens I hope they don't mind you , he's here . Imo RVN will take over if he does go.

With Mount’s injury setback will we look to change the shape when pressing? It seems like when Mount isn’t on the pitch we struggled to maintain the 4 upfront.

Maybe . I lost a lot of confidence in him last season OK loads of injuries didn't help.
If the results are poor or objective displays as well , I'm sure he will go sooner rather than later, until that happens I hope they don't mind you , he's here . Imo RVN will take over if he does go.

Injuries or not what happened last season (results and especially performances) can't be allowed to happen again. If we're struggling around November then a change should be made. We can't keep writing seasons off in the hope someone turns it around, we didn't last season.

The overall talent and depth improved from last year, however there are still player quality issues across the front line when it comes to goal scoring.

If EtH cannot improve this current team in performance and mostly getting full results by at least 8 to 12 points from last year, which would be challenging for at least 4th and possibly 3rd, then he should be sacked. I don't have a problem with him leaving anymore because the football ops side is highly competent and only getting better moving forward. The squad is getting younger with quality yet experienced players.

The team shape and solidity of the backline and midfield has been better through the first two games with Ugarte to still come in. However, the quality of goal scoring across the front line - Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund, Zirkzee, Amad, Antony - is currently midtable. The potential is there, but that will take more coaching, experience, and time specifically for everyone except for Rashford.

Thinking RVN is some kind of insurance policy is a reach. I'd rather focus on the positives though, which is: there is now a better base to be building a campaign from than ETH has had previously, he's a decent manager so there's no reason to think he can't do well. I''d rather think about that than to calculate the % chance of ETH losing his job, while licking my lips.

Can't see him staying here for long, still think he's a top 5 Ajax manager of all time and did great work here.

Managers seem to tend not to throw the towel in themselves easily, the club will have to be strict and remove him when top 4 isn't reached.

Though it reaches the same outcome, 5th or lower (without serious improvement in control, chances created, goals scored, attractive football) and EL should result in a sack. It will just likely mean that next season we are out of top 4 again, and will play EL again in the season after that.

Wonder what's next for him, stint with Dutch NT? Bayern if Kompany fails? Back to Ajax/PSV?

If things go badly and Ten Hag leaves, RvN 100% does not take over. Perhaps a few games with Haake as caretakers.

He was brought in to upgrade the coaching staff, not as backup manager.

Can't see him staying here for long, still think he's a top 5 Ajax manager of all time and did great work here.

Managers seem to tend not to throw the towel in themselves easily, the club will have to be strict and remove him when top 4 isn't reached.

Though it reaches the same outcome, 5th or lower (without serious improvement in control, chances created, goals scored, attractive football) and EL should result in a sack. It will just likely mean that next season we are out of top 4 again, and will play EL again in the season after that.

Wonder what's next for him, stint with Dutch NT? Bayern if Kompany fails? Back to Ajax/PSV?
I'd have thought top 10 maybe? You certainly know a lot more about Ajax than me, but whose place would he take out of Michels, Kovacs, Crujff, LvG, Koeman, De Boer, plus others I might not know about?

Last edited:
I'd have thought top 10 maybe? You certainly know a lot more about Ajax than me, but whose place would he take out of Kovacs, Crujff, LvG, Koeman, De Boer, plus others I might not know about?
LvG, Rinus Michels and Kovacs are the clear top 3. Erik ten Hag over Koeman and de Boer for sure, and in terms as for Ajax maybe just Erik Ten Hag on par with Cruyff.

Cruyff never won the league with Ajax, did win the cup twice and won the Europacup II which might give him the edge.

Erik ten Hag finished 1st, four times in four full seasons, with a few cup victories and beautiful football, made Ajax competitive in Europe again. It is all context based though, as Ajax was really crap in the years before Ten Hag, especially in Europe.

However, I don't know exactly how strong PSV was in their time before Cruyff.

Jack Reynolds is also there, too long ago to form a meaningful opinion on my side. Someone more knowledgeable might give more context.

But I'm pretty sure most Ajax fans would have EtH ahead of de Boer and Koeman.

Feels like his job is already under pressure again and we've barely begun the season. Especially more so if we don't get a result this weekend.

Ruud is waiting in the wings.

Good for sticking one in.

Not so smart to tell the world that you don't agree with the hierarchy.