Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think you might need to read the post again, or, to make it easier I'll explain here:
Kinda condescending. I read the post just fine, it just didn't make much sense.

1) We had 5 players back in the box - i.e. we weren't tactically open
This wasn't a quick counter attack - where else would your defenders be? When I said...

" "It's not "a frankly bizzare take to blame tactics on a goal that had 5 players in the box needing to mark 3 Brighton attackers", unless your idea of defensive tactics extends only as far as having a lot people at the back."

...I didn't realise that having people back truly is the extent of your idea defensive tactics.

2) We had a player in a good position to deal with a standard cut-back, who failed to deal with it as part of his bread and butter job. I.E there wasn't a structural issue with how we were set out to defend.
If this was an isolated instance I would agree with you. But United dealt abysmally from very similar scenarios time after time last season. A repeated pattern of defensive failures is the very definition of a tactical issue.

but for some reason you've peddled a narrative that we havent defensively solved for anything.
Rather than inventing a narrative for me, why don't you engage with the argument I'm explicitly making? I've never said United "haven't defensively solved for anything." In fact, I've literally said United are more solid this season. It's just that the bar was set pretty low because ETH has somehow managed to significantly lower expectations at one of, if not the, biggest club in the world.

Moving goalposts somewhat. I'm not here to talk about whether Ten Hag has done a good job or not.
How am I moving the goalposts? You responded to my post about how well Eric ten Hag has tactically coached United in the Eric ten Hag thread. I'll ask a third time, just for giggles...

How much time is needed before conclusions can be drawn? Or does the timer conveniently reset each season?

Kinda condescending. I read the post just fine, it just didn't make much sense.

This wasn't a quick counter attack - where else would your defenders be? When I said...

" "It's not "a frankly bizzare take to blame tactics on a goal that had 5 players in the box needing to mark 3 Brighton attackers", unless your idea of defensive tactics extends only as far as having a lot people at the back."

...I didn't realise that having people back truly is the extent of your idea defensive tactics.

If this was an isolated instance I would agree with you. But United dealt abysmally from very similar scenarios time after time last season. A repeated pattern of defensive failures is the very definition of a tactical issue.

Rather than inventing a narrative for me, why don't you engage with the argument I'm explicitly making? I've never said United "haven't defensively solved for anything." In fact, I've literally said United are more solid this season. It's just that the bar was set pretty low because ETH has somehow managed to significantly lower expectations at one of, if not the, biggest club in the world.

How am I moving the goalposts? You responded to my post about how well Eric ten Hag has tactically coached United in the Eric ten Hag thread. I'll ask a third time, just for giggles...

How much time is needed before conclusions can be drawn? Or does the timer conveniently reset each season?
I never got an answer to your last question either. It does seem to reset quite easily for some.

I suspect he'll revert back to full Oleball against Liverpool, we'll have a decent game (because this is a good counter attacking team) and the cycle will repeat.

One good game/ result (coin flip heads)
One bad game/result (coin flip tails)
Unexpected good result that buys him more time
repeat

I don't think Fulham and Brighton games were particularly bad. But I also think this team has much more potential that it's showing now, so the real test will come after Liverpool game. No more excuses, even if the results are not great, the football must be much much better than last season.

This is 100% true. The people thinking that beating Liverpool will mean we're about to go on any kind of winning run, are being gravely naive. It's the fixtures after that I'll be analyzing more so. Of course Liverpool could do us over 0-3 all the same on Sunday, would be horrible but not surprising.

I just want to know why so many fans have such low standards for this club?

Do those people live in a bubble and not pay attention to what's happening outside of Man Utd? Do they not watch other top teams such as Liverpool, Arsenal and City and see how they dominate each and every match by controlling the game through possession?

Do you not aspire that for us?

ETH has ZERO interest in us controlling games that way even though that's the way all the top teams play. We look technically inept every single game. It's like whiplash watching other teams play.

You still have people making excuses for this guy after two whole seasons and hundreds of millions of pounds worth of signings... People really delude themselves into thinking adding one or two more players to the first XI will have us playing tiki taka. It doesn't take this long to have a team playing the way you want and if THIS is the way Ten Hag wants us to play then Jesus Christ. His whole game plan seems to revolve around pressing and nothing else. You can control games easier through keeping the ball than by pressing. The ball moves faster than any player.

My prediction is there won't be much change this season from last. Only we probably won't have a trophy to show for it at the end.

I don't know when but one day we'll hire a manager who will get us playing "modern football" where we're actually good on the ball and can keep possession and a lot of you will be shocked at how quickly a good competent manager can achieve this...

I don't get it. I honestly don't.

I want the best for Manchester United and ETH is nowhere near the best that we can get. He's not going to ever get us competing with City, Arsenal, Liverpool, and people seem to be ok with that?

Like taking some moral high ground "we don't sack out managers round here after a couple losses r kid".

Last season was horrific and somehow he managed to cling on. Worse teams than us were making better decisions about their managers.

But no, it's cool. Just give him one more season this time with the vaunted "structure" and we'll see. Everyone will see!!

Sigh

Do those people live in a bubble and not pay attention to what's happening outside of Man Utd? Do they not watch other top teams such as Liverpool, Arsenal and City and see how they dominate each and every match by controlling the game through possession?

ETH has ZERO interest in us controlling games that way even though that's the way all the top teams play. We look technically inept every single game. It's like whiplash watching other teams play.

You still have people making excuses for this guy after two whole seasons and hundreds of millions of pounds worth of signings... People really delude themselves into thinking adding one or two more players to the first XI will have us playing tiki taka. It doesn't take this long to have a team playing the way you want and if THIS is the way Ten Hag wants us to play then Jesus Christ. His whole game plan seems to revolve around pressing and nothing else. You can control games easier through keeping the ball than by pressing. The ball moves faster than any player.

My prediction is there won't be much change this season from last. Only we probably won't have a trophy to show for it at the end.

I don't know when but one day we'll hire a manager who will get us playing "modern football" where we're actually good on the ball and can keep possession and a lot of you will be shocked at how quickly a good competent manager can achieve this...

Nailed it.

On a positive note, the squad profile seems to be improving so just have to patiently wait until Ten Hag's incompetence finally costs him his job and a different manager can come in and hopefully elevate the performances to a much improved level.

I don't get it. I honestly don't.

I want the best for Manchester United and ETH is nowhere near the best that we can get. He's not going to ever get us competing with City, Arsenal, Liverpool, and people seem to be ok with that?

Like taking some moral high ground "we don't sack out managers round here after a couple losses r kid".

Last season was horrific and somehow he managed to cling on. Worse teams than us were making better decisions about their managers.

But no, it's cool. Just give him one more season this time with the vaunted "structure" and we'll see. Everyone will see!!

Sigh

Totally agree with this. Bizarre decision, surely only driven by not being sure about potential replacements.

We’re resourced enough for both league and cup.

Solskjaer, unlike EtH, failed at both.

Nobody is asking you to be ‘not bothered about the league’ or to prioritise cups in favour of one or the other.

The argument is curious. The league is more important because we can finish top-four and therefore qualify for, hello, another cup?

Anyway, whatever your opinion, Ole clearly failed, bless him, and those claiming he was somehow brilliant despite winning nothing are setting a dangerous precedent going forward. The fact he has not been able to secure employment since his removal speaks volumes.

EtH’s various acolytes may also be, but they at least have their arguments in tune with winning trophies.

It’s not curious - it’s common sense. CL qualification has a huge impact on the club’s finances and is therefore integral to our ability to invest in and improve the squad. That’s just a reality of the modern game and that’s why it’s seen as so important. And that’s aside from the fact that it’s seen as a far more prestigious trophy than any of the domestic cups nowadays.

And I haven’t seen anyone claim that Ole was brilliant. I’ve seen people claim our football and our league performances were better under him than under Ten Hag, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to claim when you actually look at their records.

Agreed, and this ping pong football really makes me wonder if all the injuries are just bad luck, or actually exacerbated by his tactical approach (or lack thereof, depending how harsh you want to be).

'Fixing' Rashford suggests his normal level is much higher, it's not. 22/23 was an outlier where 10 of his goals came in a 10 game spell.
A lot of people seem to confuse Rashford's high goal scoring seasons with him playing well or being elite, meanwhile in those seasons he's same player with a terrible touch, weak defensively, hit and miss passing and positional awareness who just happens to get on the end of things more.

It's understandable with fans I guess but the fact EtH seems to subscribe to the same view, given how much leeway he gives him, is the worrying part.

Fixing Rashford just means waiting until his luck in front of goal turns, but that won't solve our disjointed issues in attack or defense transition.

Ok, tell me how do you coach players forgetting how to play near the end of games? Thats a mental thing.

This squad as shown to be mentally weak in more ways than one in the past 5 years. Turning on managers, leaking stuff to press, not showing up in big games, it’s the spine of the team. Thankfully we’re getting rid of a lot of those guys but I think we still have quite a few mentally weak guys in the team.

Definitely a coaching thing.

My team was having a bad season in my country and was 4th from last. New coach in the summer, same weak players and 5 wins in a row later we are 1 point from ECL qualification. Yes, in Sweden we have spring-autumn seasons.

A lot of people seem to confuse Rashford's high goal scoring seasons with him playing well or being elite, meanwhile in those seasons he's same player with a terrible touch, weak defensively, hit and miss passing and positional awareness who just happens to get on the end of things more.

It's understandable with fans I guess but the fact EtH seems to subscribe to the same view, given how much leeway he gives him, is the worrying part.

Fixing Rashford just means waiting until his luck in front of goal turns, but that won't solve our disjointed issues in attack or defense transition.
This. He has never played well. He has had bouts where his runs behind the back and his finishing was good. That's it.
He's an extremely limited footballer. His only decent attributes are pace and finishing, and even those two are extremely prone to form.

And like you said, the fact that Ten Hag hasn't been able to figure this out is damning.

RkSquadMPWDLGFGAGDPtsxG
xGA
4Liverpool220040+465.10.8
1Manchester City220061+564.11.2
10Manchester Utd210122033.92.5
9West Ham210132+133.73.3
5Tottenham211051+443.62.0
7Nott'ham Forest211021+143.61.3
2Brighton220051+463.51.9
14Bournemouth202022023.52.9
12Aston Villa210123-133.23.2
8Chelsea210164+232.62.7
17Crystal Palace200214-302.52.9
19Wolves200228-602.42.9
11Fulham210122032.23.0
3Arsenal220040+462.11.7
6Newcastle Utd211021+141.94.0
13Brentford210123-131.93.7
16Southampton200202-201.92.5
15Leicester City201123-111.62.9
20Everton200207-701.43.8
18Ipswich Town200216-500.75.9

I know it's a very small sample size of 2 games, but it's clear to me that we have made imrpovements in creating chances. However, our main issue lies in our forwards' inability to convert these opportunities into goals. Rashford, Bruno, Amad, Garnacho, and Mount have all been guilty of missing several good chances so far. This team still seems to be suffering from a lack of confidence to me.

The high expected goals against (xGA) is partly due to the clear-cut chances we conceded, particularly against Brighton. For instance, if Maguire had cleared the initial cross—something he was well-positioned to do—we might have easily avoided their first goal.

While some may argue that Fulham could have recorded a higher xG against us due to Andreas' missed 2v1 situation, the same argument applies to us. Amad's messing up in a 3v2 situation against Brighton was a similar missed chance for us.

This pattern of missed chances has also been evident in pre-season games, like against Liverpool, and in the Community Shield match against City, where we created multiple good opportunities but struggled with finishing. While there is a call for a world-class striker, it's important that our current forwards should still be able to capitalize on their chances, as not every chance will fall to that striker. Teams like Liverpool and Arsenal benefit from contributions across their squad—Jota and Diaz for Liverpool, and Saka, Odegaard, and Trossard for Arsenal to name a few.

The result against Brighton was particularly hard to take because we performed reasonably well but lost due to lapses in concentration from our defense. In my view, ETH's job depends significantly getting these players to finish their chances. Both he and the new coaching staff have a huge task on their hands in that regard.

This is way too objective and rationale, but agree on this take.

United just do not have a consistent goal threat across the forward line and it's been the case since Cavani left the club. That's unacceptable but that's where we are. Developing or buying young but talented players on the up like Garnacho, Amad, Hojlund, Zirkzee, and to an extent Antony and Sancho is a calculated gamble that has so far missed because we need more time to develop them and get them to a place where they are consistent threats that can be relied upon majority of the time.

Rashford is on a time share again like he was in the days with Martial when Mourinho first came. He's been unlucky the first couple of matches, but unfortunately yet rightfully, he's the wild card. If he is assisting or scoring at a consistent clip - once every 3 matches at minimum - things will start to click again one would think.

I think it was only two seasons ago we had Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood and Martial. Who are all far better finishers than what we have right now. Plus all of them had great decision making, which aids in goal scoring opportunities. I was looking at the Diaz counter goal, and all i could think was the ball carrying ability of Jota and then the pass to Diaz, specially the timing was most critical. None of our wingers/forwards could play that pass with that precision and weight and that's the difference at that level.

We have Garnacho and Amad who are both very talented but their decision making is very abysmal at this stage, they are still learning when to shoot, when to cross and when to take on players. Then we have Rashford and Hojlund who are good finishers but are patchy. They quickly go from 5 in 5 to 1 in 6 goals, which is not something you need from your source goal getters and consistency is not there.

Bruno's numbers have also dried up from earlier seasons which also had a considerable impact in our goal scoring, he has lost that composure and calmness and tries to sometimes hit it too hard. Hopefully with Ruud back, the decision making improves otherwise we are in for a tough season and the other team will always remain in the game.

This is way too objective and rationale, but agree on this take.

United just do not have a consistent goal threat across the forward line and it's been the case since Cavani left the club. That's unacceptable but that's where we are. Developing or buying young but talented players on the up like Garnacho, Amad, Hojlund, Zirkzee, and to an extent Antony and Sancho is a calculated gamble that has so far missed because we need more time to develop them and get them to a place where they are consistent threats that can be relied upon majority of the time.

Rashford is on a time share again like he was in the days with Martial when Mourinho first came. He's been unlucky the first couple of matches, but unfortunately yet rightfully, he's the wild card. If he is assisting or scoring at a consistent clip - once every 3 matches at minimum - things will start to click again one would think.
It seems like we're relying heavily on Rashford to recapture his form from a couple of seasons ago, but Bruno has also been inconsistent himself lately. As our main attackers, they should be hitting their prime, but instead they're just as inconsistent as younger players who still need to develop.

If we could start converting our chances more regularly, we wouldn't be left pushing until the final moments of matches to secure a win, which often leaves us vulnerable to late goals. Scoring earlier would also reduce the incentive for opponents to keep attacking us as the game might be lost by that time already, allowing us to take the foot off the gas. This is definitely an area where the coaching team needs to focus their efforts in my opinion. They're doing well in getting the team into good goal-scoring positions so far, but now it’s crucial that we start capitalizing on those opportunities.

This is 100% true. The people thinking that beating Liverpool will mean we're about to go on any kind of winning run, are being gravely naive. It's the fixtures after that I'll be analyzing more so. Of course Liverpool could do us over 0-3 all the same on Sunday, would be horrible but not surprising.
Would be horrible for a while, but long term those few results don't matter. Like I said before, what comes after Liverpool is important.
The run of games until City game will decide his future, and imo that'll not be something he'll enjoy in Manchester.

It seems like we're relying heavily on Rashford to recapture his form from a couple of seasons ago, but Bruno has also been inconsistent himself lately. As our main attackers, they should be hitting their prime, but instead they're just as inconsistent as younger players who still need to develop.

If we could start converting our chances more regularly, we wouldn't be left pushing until the final moments of matches to secure a win, which often leaves us vulnerable to late goals. Scoring earlier would also reduce the incentive for opponents to keep attacking us as the game might be lost by that time already, allowing us to take the foot off the gas. This is definitely an area where the coaching team needs to focus their efforts in my opinion. They're doing well in getting the team into good goal-scoring positions so far, but now it’s crucial that we start capitalizing on those opportunities.

I'm not too worried about Bruno compared to Marcus. But it's really a lack of talent and consistency from said players like Marcus, I don't think it's as much coaching. Benni McCarthy and EtH got the best out of Marcus and it's always said that good players make good coaches.

Having clinical players and making the goalkeepers work (i.e. getting shot on target) has been such as weak point and I think just not developing or getting good enough players has been troublesome in recent years. I'm not afraid to bring it up, but this squad would be totally different and better if Greenwood would be around but rightfully is not around due to his undoing (obviously).

Definitely a coaching thing.

My team was having a bad season in my country and was 4th from last. New coach in the summer, same weak players and 5 wins in a row later we are 1 point from ECL qualification. Yes, in Sweden we have spring-autumn seasons.
Sorry but your anecdotal example isn’t evidence of it being a coaching problem.

You can see at Juventus that you don't need months or years to improve the team.
Motta has a clear idea.

I'm not too worried about Bruno compared to Marcus. But it's really a lack of talent and consistency from said players like Marcus, I don't think it's as much coaching. Benni McCarthy and EtH got the best out of Marcus and it's always said that good players make good coaches.

Having clinical players and making the goalkeepers work (i.e. getting shot on target) has been such as weak point and I think just not developing or getting good enough players has been troublesome in recent years. I'm not afraid to bring it up, but this squad would be totally different and better if Greenwood would be around but rightfully is not around due to his undoing (obviously).
I really hope it clicks soon as I've seen some encouraging signs so far which has been let down by the finishing. And as people hope, maybe Ruud can really teach some tricks to this lot to make them more clinical.

Our fans are the worst, we lack any understanding of football, largely emotional and lack common sense

I disagree with most of the posts here, the problem isn’t with our players as we are keeping over performing the xg in goals and more importantly in points. The main problem is we have The worst manager in the league, it is so depressing to see average/half decent new managers at Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc etc implement their style from the first game while our manager still waiting for reinforcements after 600m pounds and the biggest (or 2nd biggest) wage bill in world football, but here we are

Last edited:
I think it was only two seasons ago we had Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood and Martial.

Ronaldo was past it but a good finisher on his day

Cavani couldn't have been less interested in being a United player at that point

Greenwood was going great until his true self was revealed

Martial was on the treatment table for the 800th time

Our fans are the worst, we lack any understanding of football, largely emotional and lack common sense
Everyone was laughing at our renewed optimism for this season and rightfully so. Everyone can see Ten Hag for the sub-par manager he is apart from our blinkered fans.

He starts to come under huge pressure if he loses on Sunday I think.

Losing to two newly appointed managers isn’t a good look.

Not getting a result over the weekend has really skewed this thought of EtH not being able to implement this style and tactics, when it has been implemented and it should continue to evolve as the players get match fit and come back. Whether people agree with the style/tactics is one thing, but it's wrong to say this squad over the past 2 seasons and 2 matches hasn't shown a completely different way of trying to play compared to the previous managers of Rangnick, Ole, and Mourinho.

Losing to Brighton was harsh and thought it was a really good tactical match throughout which gave United their best chance to beat Brighton compared to previous years where United didn't perform well and got played off the park too many times.

What style?

The limited success in the first season was playing the same system as under Ole, but with Casemiro and Martinez upgrades, and Rashford having a 3 month purple patch.

Then we had a season of chaosball, with no discernible style of play except being tumescent on the ball and dominated in almost every match.

Then for the last couple of games of last season, and first couple this season, we've emulated the exact system Rangnick tried to implement. 4-2-2-2 with high press. Except with no strikers and even less coherent forward play than last season.

Playing the ball out more from the back and getting the CBs involved more when not in a transition phase. There's more combination passing going into the final third before looking to release someone into space which stretches the defensive lines and gets the defenders going backwards. The press and counter pressing. FBs playing more inside/inverted when team is in possession to provide an option and better shape when they lose the ball. Zirkzee is a new wrinkle and he's going to be a good addition.

I have my doubts still about the squad and EtH effectively creating chances and putting them away when an opposing team is sat back or under the cosh. Quality of final balls, decision making, and clinical finishing is a mix of coaching and quality of players.

Spent the evening watching Juve win 3-0 away from home and it was hard to believe that this was Motta’a 2nd game in charge of the team.

This is his 3rd season and he STILL can’t set up a team properly. Just look at the graphic. Look how lopsided we are. Look at what a mess we are. Now compare that to Brighton who have a manager managing his 2nd game with the club. It’s absolutely scandalous. How anyone can still defend this man is beyond me.

This is his 3rd season and he STILL can’t set up a team properly. Just look at the graphic. Look how lopsided we are. Look at what a mess we are. Now compare that to Brighton who have a manager managing his 2nd game with the club. It’s absolutely scandalous. How anyone can still defend this man is beyond me.
What am I looking at?

I am a neutral fan and I think you should stick with him till Christmas at least. (I am not a supporter of Liverpool or Man City as well lol). Sometimes patience pays off. The team is playing well just being unlucky. The fact he beat Man City in that final means he is better than 95% of options out there. I doubt someone like Maresca Slot Roberto could have done that. The only viable option right now is Tuchel and I dont think he is that good either.

The thing about football is that it is a zero sum game. If you win someone else has to lose. And the probability of winning is very very low. There is only 1 team winning at the end. Maybe 2-3 are happy with the result. Last season perhaps Man City and Aston Villa can say they are satisfied. Many people here compare football to their daily lives job. That is not a fair comparison. In your daily life you can have a win win situation.

What am I looking at?
It looks like we were pinned back, and either intentionally or unintentionally reverted to Oleball and going long to Amad

That xG stuff you posted was great but came mostly from individual brilliance, not well drilled sequences

Last edited:
It looks like we were pinned back, and either intentionally or unintentionally reverted to Oleball and going long to Amad

That xG stuff you posted was great but came mostly from individual brilliance, not well drilled sequences
YDwA5V9.png

This is from Opta. Certainly doesn't look as lopsided as that other one. Pinned back? I dunno. I'd say they were trying to exploit Brighton's high line but unfortunately both our wingers kept getting caught offside.

YDwA5V9.png

This is from Opta. Certainly doesn't look as lopsided as that other one. Pinned back? I dunno. I'd say they were trying to exploit Brighton's high line but unfortunately both our wingers kept getting caught offside.
I was just interpreting the map, this one looks more balanced. Agree about the offsides, they were there for the taking and we could've done them like Ange's spurs last season, and really implode them

Christmas is coming and Sean Dyche will be available then.

I don't think I agree. What individual brilliance are you referring to? I remember us getting those chances through good interplay at the edge of the opponent box and through pressing. The two Bruno chances in the Fulham game are examples of that. We also had brilliant interplay against City but I don't think it count towards xG as there was no shot at the end of Amad's cutback. Not to mention Rashfords' two chances that he fluffed in that game. Also, the chance against Fulham at the end of the game that Garnacho fluffed. I'm not sure which one of those you think came because of individual brilliance?

I disagree with most of the posts here, the problem isn’t with our players as we are keeping over performing the xg in goals and more importantly in points. The main problem is we have The worst manager in the league, it is so depressing to see average/half decent new managers at Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc etc implement their style from the first game while our manager still waiting for reinforcements after 600m pounds and the biggest (or 2nd biggest) wage bill in world football, but here we are
But I think what we are seeing is his style. If not after 2 years we would see something different. This is his style.