Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Could be sacked after the next 3 games. Can't see us getting anything really from them

Let's say we beat Spurs - because they are terrible - and lose to Porto and Villa, then it's the perfect time to sack him. We'll be going into an international break with a record of 4 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats.

I just hope we don't make the same mistakes as we did with Ole/Jose and give him until November/December when the season is totally gone. The fact of the matter is, he should have been sacked last season, so to say he's on borrowed time is an understatement.

I am not surprised by the result last night or the knee jerk reactions this morning.

He got it wrong last night, he should have rotated and given the chance to some of the fringe players to impress but he picked most of the starters in what was a meaningless game tbh.

Its no surprised they put in such a performance, most of them were probably thinking they were going to be rested for the weekend.

ETH really does not help himself at times, but its early in the season and he knows his job is on the line and there are no excuses so i would expect us to improve.

There are grounds for optimism though, we are creating chances in the league but are not putting them away, i think we are way clear in the big chances missed this season so its up to the players to start putting them away.

We should have a better idea after the Spurs and Villa games.
The reactions are anything but knee-jerk; there’s a very steady and certain build up of disillusionment and discontent. Sadly, it will turn to contempt for many if this continues.

He shouldn’t last that long. Sack him today and move on.
I agree but that's not the point, we have some big games coming up, we probably don't want to put Ruud on that horse yet because he isn't expected to do well.

If Ten Hag somehow survives the next 3 games then he has it until Christmas imo.

His subs are getting on my nerves to be honest.

I know hindsight is great and everything but all those times he kept Rashford on when he was terrible last season and then when he actually looks like he’s the player most likely to do something he gets taken off, while Bruno is kept on to play on the right after having a poor game.

Keep players on that are playing well. Take them off if they aren’t. It’s not rocket science.

Get rid of him ASAP and there's a chance this season won't be a complete write off. As it stands, we're going nowhere anytime soon. We're closer to Southampton than we are to City.
Sounds like a replica of last season. No other club aspiring to be back at the top table would put up with his performances in the last 18 months. He’s diabolical.

There is no progress with him. This is it.
We’re constantly being sold reasons why we Are still playing poorly and the results Are terrible
“We need better defenders”
“We need a nr 6”
“we have a lot of injuries”
“We need ugarte”
Etc

Now we just need Bruno to come back to form..
Yeah, like we’re always just one tweek away from being a strong side

We will always chase this false hope one last fix with ten hag in charge

Let's say we beat Spurs - because they are terrible - and lose to Porto and Villa, then it's the perfect time to sack him. We'll be going into an international break with a record of 4 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats.

I just hope we don't make the same mistakes as we did with Ole/Jose and give him until November/December when the season is totally gone. The fact of the matter is, he should have been sacked last season, so to say he's on borrowed time is an understatement.
What’s mad about that is it still looks awful and yet it’s one of the best case scenarios. :(

We’re constantly being sold reasons why we Are still playing poorly and the results Are terrible
“We need a nr 6”
“We need ugarte”
Etc

Another one that will start coming up soon is how he was right in not wanting Ugarte and how INEOS have let him down by bringing a player against his wishes. You just know 100% this will come.

“We need a nr 6”
“We need ugarte”
Etc

Nail on head.

It's just a never ending exercise in finding new excuses.

The knee jerk reaction was the jubilation that followed tonking a couple of shit teams and a good hour against Palace.
The reaction to Palace game was hilarious. We drew against a team that has been struggling and is yet to win a game this season, a week after they nearly lost to Leicester (who scored 2 as opposed to 0) at home, and by just looking at people's reactions you'd have thought we just thumped Arsenal 3-0 at Emirates.

It's not that simple. We sacked Moyes within 10 months, and LvG as soon as things started to turn, despite an FA cup win. Mourinho too, arguably, after winning a couple of trophies the season before.

Being ruthless hasn't worked.
Being patient hasn't worked. We're in this predicament because, more often than not, we've hired the wrong people and signed the wrong players.

The new execs seem to have started turning around the latter, but we'll have to wait and see if they have better luck appointing a manager.

:lol:

You think that's being ruthless?

It’s mildly amusing think back on Di Matteo. Caretaker wins a CL with Chelsea largely on the back of the players carrying on with their Mourinho era tactics. Quickly fired the next season because he was clearly not up to it.

Imagine if that happened with us. You would have our fanbase clamoring for him to stay, saying he’s won a champions league, how can we fire him? He clearly has something about him to be able to win that, and even if he doesn’t, he’s won more European trophies since he’s been here than every other manager.

That’s the exact same line of thinking people have been using with ETH and his tinpot cup wins

A fluke like that would be an existential threat to this club. Said manager would be allowed to relegate us down into the Championship - no questions asked.

I think among people who are happy with him to stay there are only two groups remaining. People who have invested so much of their personal stock in him, on this forum and elsewhere, that they feel as if they are somehow obliged to stand by him (even if it appears to defy common sense), and the second group which are people who are hinging on that tiny little chance that he turns things around (how unlikely it may seem) and it will make them look like geniuses and proper top fans for standing by their manager in times of adversity (it's basically a 100/1 bet at this point, but one that would grant you ultimate bragging rights should things unravel the right way). Both these groups are never going to turn around and stop supporting him.

Everyone else seems to have already moved to 'Sack' part of the floor, even those who stood by him last year citing 'unprecedented historical injury crisis' as the only reason for our underperformance.

The reaction to Palace game was hilarious. We drew against a team that has been struggling and is yet to win a game this season, a week after they nearly lost to Leicester (who scored 2 as opposed to 0) at home, and by just looking at people's reactions you'd have thought we just thumped Arsenal 3-0 at Emirates.

My favourite one is “at least we’re not conceding 25 shots per game this season.” In to his third season and having spent hundreds of millions of pounds and the best thing people can say as a measure of progress is that we’re no longer almost getting smashed every game.

I don’t see the ping in persisting with him for another game. He’s beyond useless and incapable of coaching a consistent winning team. He lacks class and is far too cautious for a team that wish to finish top 4.
I don’t see how Wilcos, Ashworth and Co are looking at this and see anything that looks acceptable.

I think among people who are happy with him to stay there are only two groups remaining. People who have invested so much of their personal stock in him, on this forum and elsewhere, that they feel as if they are somehow obliged to stand by him (even if it appears to defy common sense), and the second group which are people who are hinging on that tiny little chance that he turns things around (how unlikely it may seem) and it will make them look like geniuses and proper top fans for standing by their manager in times of adversity (it's basically a 100/1 bet at this point, but one that would grant you ultimate bragging rights should things unravel the right way). Both these groups are never going to turn around and stop supporting him.

Everyone else seems to have already moved to 'Sack' part of the floor, even those who stood by him last year citing 'unprecedented historical injury crisis' as the only reason for our underperformance.
This. The worst part though is that I think a new group is starting to grow. The group that just accept things and think "it is was it is".

It's not that simple. We sacked Moyes within 10 months, and LvG as soon as things started to turn, despite an FA cup win. Mourinho too, arguably, after winning a couple of trophies the season before.

Being ruthless hasn't worked. Being patient hasn't worked. We're in this predicament because, more often than not, we've hired the wrong people and signed the wrong players.

The new execs seem to have started turning around the latter, but we'll have to wait and see if they have better luck appointing a manager.
We haven't been ruthless. Barring Moyes, who shouldn't have been hired in the first place, we have given managers far too much time and wasted the potential of the players we've had in the squad. We need to clear out managers much faster, you can't expect players to give up 3 years of their careers because you don't want to be perceived as a sacking club.

Exactly. I would be amazed if any other top side (well we were under the great man) would have tolerated anything approaching the dire performances under Ten Hag. And I just can't see the justification.
Yes this year he has bought some semi decent players.

I don't believe he is going to be saked quite yet. But in my view he is on very thin ice.
Not sure this years recruit can be attributed to him, but regardless he can't set up a team to score goals. And makes diabolical changes every week. I think we are wasting time with him.

I am not surprised by the result last night or the knee jerk reactions this morning.

He got it wrong last night, he should have rotated and given the chance to some of the fringe players to impress but he picked most of the starters in what was a meaningless game tbh.

Its no surprised they put in such a performance, most of them were probably thinking they were going to be rested for the weekend.

ETH really does not help himself at times, but its early in the season and he knows his job is on the line and there are no excuses so i would expect us to improve.

There are grounds for optimism though, we are creating chances in the league but are not putting them away, i think we are way clear in the big chances missed this season so its up to the players to start putting them away.

We should have a better idea after the Spurs and Villa games.
Knee jerk? Seriously?

Knee jerk is getting excited because of three decent performances against Southampton (one of the worst teams in the league), Barnsley (a League One team) and Palace (who have started the season terribly). Those three games along with this match against Twente is almost certainly the easiest four game stretch we'll have all season, and we still managed to only win two of them. While there was some improvement there and I was curious whether it would continue, at the moment those three games were the exception so it's the exact opposite of being knee jerk to hold Ten Hag at fault when things go bad again.

The biggest reason we need to get the next manager right next summer is because we have the chance to properly sort out our midfield.

Eriksen and Casemiro will almost certainly be gone next season. There’s an outside chance maybe Fernandes too if he continues to stink up the entire year.

Give the keys to someone who will prioritise some proper central midfielders.

Please do not forget the OP of this thread. Incitement and/or derision of the “other side” will not be tolerated. If you have the urge to taunt your fellow United supporter, rein it in. Warnings and threadbans will be issued for goading or purposeful WUMing.

The biggest reason we need to get the next manager right next summer is because we have the chance to properly sort out our midfield.

Eriksen and Casemiro will almost certainly be gone next season. There’s an outside chance maybe Fernandes too if he continues to stink up the entire year.

Give the keys to someone who will prioritise some proper central midfielders.
Agree, but Mainoo, Ugarte, Mount isn't an awful midfield.
Bruno will get ETH the sack and hopefully the new manager gets rid of him.

Knee jerk? Seriously?

Knee jerk is getting excited because of three decent performances against Southampton (one of the worst teams in the league), Barnsley (a League One team) and Palace (who have started the season terribly). Those three games along with this match against Twente is almost certainly the easiest four game stretch we'll have all season, and we still managed to only win two of them. While there was some improvement there and I was curious whether it would continue, at the moment those three games were the exception so it's the exact opposite of being knee jerk to hold Ten Hag at fault when things go bad again.
How about 'on xG we should have drawn to Liverpool' and 'we almost drew at Brighton' trophies?

He's lost the dressing room hasn't he. Explains all our miserable second half performances of late and how the subs make things worse.

Not to defend the result but losing at OT to them was much much worse. We’ve had some real lows these last few years.
The 3-0 and 5-0 at OT, and 7-0 and 4-0 at Anfield were all basically equally bad in my view. The 3-0 this year could have easily been a 5-0 if they cared, and 5-0 could have been a 10-0 if they cared.

Not to defend the result but losing at OT to them was much much worse. We’ve had some real lows these last few years.
Sure, but nowadays I don't feel that surprised. The 7-0 was when I still had hopes. A couple of weeks ago we all already did know what was coming.

His subs are getting on my nerves to be honest.

I know hindsight is great and everything but all those times he kept Rashford on when he was terrible last season and then when he actually looks like he’s the player most likely to do something he gets taken off, while Bruno is kept on to play on the right after having a poor game.

Keep players on that are playing well. Take them off if they aren’t. It’s not rocket science.
Yeah I completely agree with this. In the first half Rashford had their full back and being honest everyone else in their side on toast, they couldn't handle him. So what did we do? Sent everything down the middle, for Bruno to dangerously lose possession over and over again.

There was a point second half when Rashford was standing on the touchline watching us play the same (uncontested) triangle on the centre circle. After a full minute -I- was furious so god only knows what he was thinking. We seemed to ignore our wide players as much as possible and be allergic to getting it into the box. Fair enough if that's your orders but our players actually looked sharp last night, if they were instructed to play quicker and get to the byline more often to get it in there we could easily have smashed Twente, they didn't look comfortable at all.

The 3-0 and 5-0 at OT, and 7-0 and 4-0 at Anfield were all basically equally bad in my view. The 3-0 this year could have easily been a 5-0 if they cared, and 5-0 could have been a 10-0 if they cared.
My eyes bleeds and cries at the same time reading those results...

He's lost the dressing room hasn't he. Explains all our miserable second half performances of late and how the subs make things worse.
I don't think he's lost the dressing room at all. Second half performances are largely due to him being completely incapable of impacting the game in a positive way, all he can do is either sit idle or make changes that make us worse. In the meantime most other managers at this level are typically quite good at reading the game and reacting to what's going on the pitch, which is the reason why we pretty much always look worse as the game goes (was also the case last year where we conceded a massive number of late goals, which all his fans simply attributed to bad luck - it wasn't).

Last weekend, we were all over them in the first half, Glasner makes two HT subs, then makes further tweaks in the second half and they were actually the ones closer to winning it in the last 30. It happens virtually every game. Happened last night as well, come the end of the game it was Twente that looked closer to creating something (while still not really getting close to scoring).

It's like he's not watching the game or not paying attention.