Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t think he understands why things aren’t working during games. I’m sure he can see it, but he can’t grasp why and then he makes some subs just guessing/hoping they will work rather than knowing they will.
Palace game is a good example where he was out managed during the game and we finished the game the worst team.
Our general set up this season is clearly better but that’s about it and it was already a very low bar to improve on that from last season.

Here in Oz the Brisbane Broncos, one of the biggest clubs in rugby league which is by far the biggest sport just sacked their coach who got the team intothe Grand Final in 2023, but failed to get in the top 8 this season with the biggest revenues etc . So here’s Man Utd persevering with ETH after how many seasons of spending money for little improve,ent, how does such a big club behave in such a small club manner.

Bite the bullet, find someone to push the players and basically make a difference to the tumescent displays we have seen for the majority of the time ETH has been in charge. Surely it can’t go on much longer.

He's quite obviously going to get sacked at some point. Until that time we're just in a holding pattern and it kinda renders everything, well, pointless.

He's tried his best, let's thank him for that. It just doesn't work in this club. Seems his tactics doesn't work with the type of players required to play in the prem. His tactics have pretty much never made it exciting to watch. I zone out of our games all the time now and end up staring at my phone instead after 20mins.

Best of luck elsewhere.

Frank De Boer lasted 5 games at Palace despite amassing a lot of trophies at Ajax. Our fans have zero idea what being ruthless with managers actually looks like. Pretty much every post-Fergie manager has gotten far too much time.
Yeah, there are a lot of (mostly negative) words to describe us - ruthless is definitely not one of them. Not by a long shot. For both players and managers. We've been very patient. Hoping that changes with Ineos now.

At this very moment, my only concern would be who's available - not that I'm advocating keeping EtH - he needs to go. Will be interesting to see who they go for. Nagelsmann would be my pick if we can lure him away from the German NT - assuming Alonso wouldn't be interested, that is.

How is he still at the club ?
Do we see making an unbeaten run with him ? -- NO
WILL we get top 4 if he is the manager ? --- NO
Is his team boring to watch-- Yes
Has he developed players -- No
Will we get CL football via Europa -- No
The slow passing, probing is no use .. if we cannot create chances..
We need to sack him and take our chances..

Yeah, there are a lot of (mostly negative) words to describe us - ruthless is definitely not one of them. Not by a long shot. For both players and managers. We've been very patient. Hoping that changes with Ineos now.

At this very moment, my only concern would be who's available - not that I'm advocating keeping EtH - he needs to go. Will be interesting to see who they go for. Nagelsmann would be my pick if we can lure him away from the German NT - assuming Alonso wouldn't be interested, that is.
Yup. I maintain that this is an unintended consequence of having Fergie so long. I’m also not enthused by any of the potential available replacements either.

He's tried his best, let's thank him for that. It just doesn't work in this club. Seems his tactics doesn't work with the type of players required to play in the prem. His tactics have pretty much never made it exciting to watch. I zone out of our games all the time now and end up staring at my phone instead after 20mins.

Best of luck elsewhere.
I stopped caring.. I am pretty sure a lot of our fans are in the same bracket ..
I know the script how our game goes .. I don't even have to watch..
If the other team score first, it will be 1-0 or 2-0 loss
If we score first , it will be 1-1 and they will hammer us the last few mins and maybe make it 2-1
Against big teams -- we get hammered

Yup. I maintain that this is an unintended consequence of having Fergie so long. I’m also not enthused by any of the potential available replacements either.

Chelsea and Liverpool went for names that wouldn't have enthused us, yet they're doing well. Same with Brighton.

There are managers out there, that don't have huge reputations, that are capable of making us much better.

Take a chance on a manager that prioritises controlling the game and less chaotic football that exposes the team, and we will immediately be better off for it. I also think Nagelsmann could be tempted if we were to provide him the backing he did not receive from Bayern.

I just cannot see how EtH is to blame for their goal last night.

That Twente player literally ran through 5 of ours.
- Rashford did nothing to press
- Eriksen was too slow at first and then totally fumbled the recovery
- Maguire was the biggest culprit, his attempted tackle was pathetic... £80m.. world's most expensive defender.

- Maguire was the biggest culprit, his attempted tackle was pathetic... £80m.. world's most expensive defender.
I'm not sure much, if any, of the criticism has to do with just this particular game, or even the result/goal we conceded.

That's true, and I wouldn't put too much pressure on EtH for conceding this goal after that freak chain of mistakes and stupidity.

But it is absolutely damning that this was all Twente needed to get a draw at Old Trafford. United should have a coherent and well-functioning attack so that this match ends 4-1 and not 1-1. That's on EtH.

I don’t think he understands why things aren’t working during games. I’m sure he can see it, but he can’t grasp why and then he makes some subs just guessing/hoping they will work rather than knowing they will.
Palace game is a good example where he was out managed during the game and we finished the game the worst team.
Our general set up this season is clearly better but that’s about it and it was already a very low bar to improve on that from last season.
Yep, all I'm seeing different is that the pressing is a little more organised, we're actually winning the ball back further up the field and winning quite a lot more 50/50s and physical duels, last season it seemed we pressed but didn't win it back much for the amount of energy we spent trying it, and barely ever won individual battles.

I'm not sure if stats say otherwise but I feel like that's the improvement I'm seeing, and we're controlling the possession more instead of just hitting diagonals (at least for the first half of games).

Still feels like there's too much focus on this press and inverting the fullbacks as not much else about us has improved. We've gotten a bit better at the complicated stuff but the basics are no further forward unfortunately. Still can't finish, passing gets sloppy (even easy short passes are often mis-kicked), lack of urgency, lack of concentration, lack of ideas....

It almost looks as though he has one idea/process and when it doesn't work at all, or another team adjust how they are playing, that's us pretty much goosed. As you say, he'll occasionally throw on subs and it might work out (no McT to crash the box now though), but more often it doesn't because there's no real thought or change of plan/shape apparent. It's normally a like for like sub, or a player coming off for the sake of it that had more chance of doing something positive than the player replacing them.

Grim.

Guess you can't blame a manager for anything really. Unless they're a player manager and play themselves. In which case tbf how could you blame the guy playing the role of a manager for the what the same guy in the role of a player did?

Because our whole team had been playing with a malaise for the the previous 10/15 minutes and he did nothing to change in it/give us a kick?

Here in Oz the Brisbane Broncos, one of the biggest clubs in rugby league which is by far the biggest sport just sacked their coach who got the team intothe Grand Final in 2023, but failed to get in the top 8 this season with the biggest revenues etc . So here’s Man Utd persevering with ETH after how many seasons of spending money for little improve,ent, how does such a big club behave in such a small club manner.

Bite the bullet, find someone to push the players and basically make a difference to the tumescent displays we have seen for the majority of the time ETH has been in charge. Surely it can’t go on much longer.

EtH did originally push the players and he's been signing professionals/warriors in Martinez, Urgarte, Ohnana, De Ligt

He pushed Sancho after coddling him... look how that turned out
If he pushes Rashford, the same thing will happen
If he pushes Maguire, he's stuck with him as the dope won't leave

I don't think it's as simple as someone new comes in and pushes the players. Jose did exactly that and had all sorts of drama.

I think the solution is already in process..
- keep evolving the squad with an aligned vision and specific character profile
- keep bringing in the youngsters to form a new culture of hungry talent

Which manager could enter this mess and produce instant and consistent results that appease the fans? Honestly, I can't think of one.

I love how some just choose to brush off last night's result, and our generally shite results to-date this season.
It was an one off game. These results don't matter as we will progress.

Same for the league, losing games is meaningless as long as we achieve our goal (whatever that goal is).

Which manager could get us better than 6 wins in 19 league games? I think most of the other managers in the Premiership would do better than him at getting results, and most of them would not give continuous excuses for not being able to do so.

Ok. Who's your recommendation that would produce instant and consistent results?

What does 'instant and consistent results' even mean?

Just about any manager who has been linked with us would produce better results and performances than ETH has in the last 1.5 years. Including the worst ones like Southgate and Potter.

This was true before Ineos showed their hand and undermined him. Now that ETH and the players know for a fact he's on very borrowed time, the above is even more true.

In what sense was it meaningless. We’re already out of title race and way off the pace for top 4. So I think we’d be mad to not take winning the Europa league as a route to the Champions League seriously.
Its meaningless because the top 24 out of 36 teams go through to the knock out stages, Getting a top 8 finish just gets you one less round of games.

I think its more important right now to give the fringe players a chance to impress and rest the first team players for a tough schedule coming up.

Another concern is he’s doing the same thing with Eriksen that he did in his first season, which is overplay him to the point we all know he’ll be spent by November, just like last time if he persists.

4 games on the trot is not managing or optimising your asset, especially when it shows you have learned nothing from doing the same thing before, with a younger version of the same player.

Squad management really is not a wheelhouse for Ten Hag and it’s another thing to contend with alongside all the other things he hasn’t got a handle on in all the time he’s been here.

For us to pour faith into any manager, they have to have world class aspects to their makeup; some spikes or trends that really make sticking with them worthwhile. Ten Hag has no positive attributes at the level we aspire to be at and it’s really improbable that ever will trend stellar when he can’t even go from a D grade to a C in any positive category.

This feels like a charade now that ultimately is inert as it leads back to the same conclusion over and over again. The statistical odds of someone failing so badly at so many things turning it around have to be minuscule; even if we are in the doldrums, a manager who has potential to go on to greater things would be showing something you could look at and see a massive upward trend being possible in.

I don’t know how many times I have said this, but the measure of the best managers is getting their team to perform at a level that is greater than the sum of its parts, no matter what those parts might be. For me, that is the most damning aspect of all for our guy, as we have performed within that sphere maybe a handful of times in his entire tenure; at other clubs, it is a game-by-game, or every other game occurrence, not once blood moon.

I really cannot tell who is WUMing anymore, I just have to assume everyone making excuses for ETH must be, anything else is just too hard to believe

Blame players for the occasional match but after a procession of players, costing hundreds of millions over 3 seasons consistently underperform then there is only the coach to hold to account.

Its meaningless because the top 24 out of 36 teams go through to the knock out stages, Getting a top 8 finish just gets you one less round of games.

I think its more important right now to give the fringe players a chance to impress and rest the first team players for a tough schedule coming up.
Porto and Fehnerbace away.
Saloniki and Bodö/Glimt at home
Pilsen away, Glasgow at home and finally Bukarest away.

It doesn't get much easier than playing Twente at home, when even that only results in a draw, how can you be confident to finish in the top 24? This game in itself will not decide how further matches go, but this was the perfect draw to start the EL as league leaders (or close to it) after the first match and be able to go to cruise control and lead the league from the front (as you said, finishing top 8 is good enough and being able to decide when to field what strength is great for rotation).

Instead United is now somewhere in the middle of the EL table and in danger to drop far to the bottom on the next two matchdays and having to catch up.

Next 3 games before the international break:
  • Spurs home
  • Porto away
  • Villa away
I don't see us doing well at all in any of these. Any chance he gets sacked during the international break and we can start to look forward to the rest of the season? Or are we writing off yet another season because of the wrong manager being in charge. So frustrating. We're an incompetently coached club, and the style he builds towards is so fecking shit to watch too.

Porto and Fehnerbace away.
Saloniki and Bodö/Glimt at home
Pilsen away, Glasgow at home and finally Bukarest away.

It doesn't get much easier than playing Twente at home, when even that only results in a draw, how can you be confident to finish in the top 24? This game in itself will not decide how further matches go, but this was the perfect draw to start the EL as league leaders (or close to it) after the first match and be able to go to cruise control and lead the league from the front (as you said, finishing top 8 is good enough and being able to decide when to field what strength is great for rotation).

Instead United is now somewhere in the middle of the EL table and in danger to drop far to the bottom on the next two matchdays and having to catch up.
This is what i mean by people going OTT.

If we cannot finish in the top 24 teams out of 36 bang average sides then we might as well pack up and go home.

We have drawn one game, its fine, we move on to the next one, we have bigger games to deal with right now.

I just dont get the mass hysteria that goes on here, there is no point in going bananas over something you literally have zero control over, you only thing you can control is your reaction to it and most on here fail badly at that.

Next 3 games before the international break:
  • Spurs home
  • Porto away
  • Villa away
I don't see us doing well at all in any of these. Any chance he gets sacked during the international break and we can start to look forward to the rest of the season? Or are we writing off yet another season because of the wrong manager being in charge. So frustrating. We're an incompetently coached club, and the style he builds towards is so fecking shit to watch too.
Even if we lose all 3, I think the board will look at the fixture list after the break & up to the new year and decide that they should get a good run of results.

I genuinely don't believe they will change until around the time that the stadium redevelopment/build is confirmed at the end of this calendar year. I predict the ETH sacking and the New Stadium announcements will fall in the same week.

Ask yourself the bigger question. Why is a squad that is full of players that have previously performed and had about half a billion spent on it all regressed to the point they're absolutely shit and can't beat a team ranked 120-something in the UEFA coefficient?

It is the same he can not be credited for the goal scored, a beautiful but also lucky shot out of a scrimmage that Eriksen kicked just fine, but could have gone miles over of he touched it a bit wrong.

Is that what he said?
An unhappy Ten Hag said: “You saw it was the game of their life, they fought for every yard and we didn’t and 99% is not enough; you have to give 100%, you have to kill the game, you have to finish it off. We are leading 1-0 and then there comes an atmosphere [poor approach] in the team. You have to go for the second goal and then you kill the game.”

"You have to go for the second goal and then you kill the game." If that truly is a quote from EtH and if he really ordered Garnacho to "Defend!" around that time, then there is a single responsible person for this. And that's EtH himself.

I actually want to see a line up of all etH’s signings and youth players he brought through see how they fare.

———————Onana———————-

Masroui—de light—yoro——Martinez-

—————ugarte——mainoo—————

———————-eriksen————————

-hojlund———zirkzee———-garnacho

All this proves is that stats, especially expected goals and big chances are pure bollocks
No, the current data suggests it's still too early, and the sample size is too small to draw any definitive conclusions. If the underlying metrics remain consistently high throughout the next few weeks, they could potentially signal something positive.

Performances were encouraging(results were terrible mind you), however, based on last night's showing, we haven't managed to establish any real consistency with even the performances. As things stand, I expect those metrics to decline.