Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m talking about tonight’s game unless you missed it

I don't care. It's the same usual crap, we play ok for a half, then we play crap for the second. There is no consistency. We have no consistency, we've never once had consistency since he took charge. Theres always an excuse for the Manager. Every single time.

OK, so you think today's performance was a classic ten hag performance from last season.
Tbh, the whole starting off with good intensity and then not doing much in the second half rings a bell.

The realists that thought ten hag had to go after the fa cup are being proved right. We are watching another season being thrown away. City will be 8 points clear of us if they win tomorrow with only 5 games played.

For me, this is the problem. Performances are fine, but how many seasons do we have to waste hopelessly plodding through. Things don't have to be at rock bottom to make a change. I think we have good players now. It's clear we can press and play intricate football. We've already wasted another season where we won't sniff the title. For us to move forward, we actually have to move forward. I don't think we can afford to just think of challenging these teams, we actually have to do it.

It’s going to be a longggggggg season if this thread is going to be like this irrespective of performance.

Performances aren’t the only thing that matter. Results matter too. So if the results continue to disappoint like today, then yes, it’s going to be a very long season.

Saw this coming after beating a team not good enough for the PL and a bad League One team. People really need to take into account the opposition before getting carried away.
But we did play good today. I won't call it a false dawn type performance

I mean, if only relegation is disaster, then sure. In fact, I'm quite confident that we'll never be relegated under ETH.
As I mentioned 7 points from 5 games isnt ideal but any sensible United fan knows we are not going to challenge for the title (if thats what you are expecting) with the current squad and we wont be relegated either whether under Ten Hag or not. We were the better team and should have won against Man City, Brighton and today. Thats what I call progress and the results will follow.

I don't care. It's the same usual crap, we play ok for a half, then we play crap for the second. There is no consistency. We have no consistency, we've never once had consistency since he took charge. Theres always an excuse for the Manager. Every single time.
I think if you don’t see any difference this season in the style of play you’re a bit daft. And I know you’re not daft so you’re just intrenched in wanting him gone. That’s fine but literally no point discussing the performance as it doesn’t matter to you as you said.

Significant difference when compared to performances last season. Really surprised by some of the criticism. Just one of those days where the ball won’t go in.

Seems some fans don’t want to give the manager credit even when the team performs well.

Really surprised by the criticism? we are 11th in table.

I swear when did our fanbase become so accepting of mediocrity? Horrible goal difference, struggling to stay mid table being constantly outplayed and yes even today we were awful after 35 minutes and Palace had the better chances.

Yet everything is just peachy with our fans.

I think if you don’t see any difference this season in the style of play you’re a bit daft. And I know you’re not daft so you’re just intrenched in wanting him gone. That’s fine but literally no point discussing the performance as it doesn’t matter to you as you said.
Its clear he's burrying his head in the sand.

It's the same inconsistency. Tell me I'm wrong.

It's not though. We actually had control for a large part of the game, which isn't anything like things under Ten Hag most of the time.

One of our major issues is, we rely on Eriksen, and have no one else who can do his job. For it to live and die on him is a death sentence for the manager, and again points to a poorly constructed squad.

1st year: Won the Carabao Cup (first trophy in 5 years), reached the FA Cup final and finished 3rd in the league.
2nd year: Won the FA Cup despite facing one of the worst injury crises.
3rd year: 7 points from 5 games isnt ideal but its not a disaster either. My point is, we are improving bit by bit. Performance wise we were dominant and the goals will come eventually. Today we were simply unlucky.
In his second season we also finished 8th in the league and dropped out of the CL group stage from what should've been an easy group. It also been shown that other teams had worse injury problems than us last year.

I dunno, mate. We're still seeing the same issues that started to crop up eighteen months ago. Ten Hag seems incapable of fixing them. Ole was sacked after getting 17 points from a possible 32 in his third season, and he managed 3rd and 2nd place finishes. We need to have standards above "we were simply unlucky". We've been "unlucky" for a while now, and I don't see how more time will solve that. I haven't personally seen much from Ten Hag to suggest he'll suddenly make everything work. We might be playing a little better but we still can't score!

We had a good half, but the opposition made changes and adjusted, and we had no answer. Our changes basically killed the games for us.

I swear when did our fanbase become so accepting of mediocrity? Horrible goal difference, struggling to stay mid table being constantly outplayed and yes even today we were awful after 35 minutes and Palace had the better chances.

Weird post. No one is saying the result was acceptable. It's clearly a post that's saying our performances are much improved. They tend to be a leading indicator of where wel head, rather than crying about the first 5 games.

But we did play good today. I won't call it a false dawn type performance
We did! And that's great but there's no subsistence to our performances. So far our season consists of smashing a League One side and a great 60 minutes against Palace in a game we didn't win. We're hardly going places.

Do you think Garnacho deserved to get benched after Burnley?

It's not about that, it's about knowing how to get a reaction out of your players. Dropping a player, who you played relentlessly through a patch of horrendous form after a couple of decent games, just makes zero sense.

Sack him.

5 games into the season and United is already out of title race.

But this small minded bald guy probably thinks all is good as long as United win Carling cup or FA cup.

Criticism of the performance today. I didn’t refer to the league position.

United dominated the game today and were extremely unlucky not to get a comfortable away win.

We don’t have to be hysterical all the time.

In his second season we also finished 8th in the league and dropped out of the CL group stage from what should've been an easy group. It also been shown that other teams had worse injury problems than us last year.

I dunno, mate. We're still seeing the same issues that started to crop up eighteen months ago. Ten Hag seems incapable of fixing them. Ole was sacked after getting 17 points from a possible 32 in his third season, and he managed 3rd and 2nd place finishes. We need to have standards above "we were simply unlucky". We've been "unlucky" for a while now, and I don't see how more time will solve that. I haven't personally seen much from Ten Hag to suggest he'll suddenly make everything work. We might be playing a little better but we still can't score!
I don't think we were unlucky in many of our games last year. On balance we probably overperformed the underlying data despite finishing 8th.

Thats not exactly the same as dominating games better and creating a lot of good chances this season though.

We did! And that's great but there's no subsistence to our performances. So far our season consists of smashing a League One side and a great 60 minutes against Palace in a game we didn't win. We're hardly going places.
Not saying we are going places. Performance wise we looked really good in the first half. Probably our best performance in ages in PL. Now next two PL games become must win so let us see if beating Barnsley was actually a false dawn or we are slowly becoming something decent.

I don't hate Ten Hag, don't make this personal. I hate the fact we're wasting another season because people don't want to see the patterns that are consistent under his managerial stint.
If thats not the case, you cant genuinely argue that there are no signs of improvement. Be honest and acknowledge that there has been progress in our performance and style of play. We were actually dominant today and could have easily won.

No way :lol: you are lying to yourself if you think that was easier to convert than Eze pretty much having all time in the world to choose the corner to put the ball in.

We'll if we're stooping to laughing smilies, then :lol::lol:.

I do think that, and the xG models agree with me.

Palace were woeful in the first half and then very average in the second half. We were just very average throughout the game.

That was very much a clash of two average midtable sides of I'm being honest.

Our defensive structure and control have improved from last season, but we still don't really make a huge amount of quality chances and that is very much a theme for the ten hag era, which I think is what will probably see his end eventually.

Yeah our finishing was poor I agree. The first half performance and approach was much better from Ten Hag. But the second half also showed why we should move on from him. 0-0 in the 60th minute, him and his team seemed happy to play for a draw.

This is the problem with Ten Hag. For every good thing he does, he cancels it out with a bad thing. He's not taking us anywhere we need to go.

Suffice to say I disagree for the time being, but this is reasonable enough that I'm happy to agree to disagree.

I don't think we were playing for a draw though, rather that the likes of Eriksen ran out of gas, and a lot of our forwards got impatient.

It’s more worrying what I’m reading here tbh.

Plenty to dig Ten Hag out over the past two season but he can only do so much. Everything was pretty much spot on tonight but we didn’t score a few goals before half time. That’s the players. We should of been out of sight by half time.

In any game of football if you don’t take your chances the longer the game goes on the more likely the other team might nick something and frustrations set in. Its just basics really.

This is just not necessarily true. Certainly not for the better, well drilled teams who have more talent on the bench. Often in tough games breakthroughs won’t come till later when the opposition tires and they can start turning the screw, making impactful subs and finding the breakthrough. The opposite happened under Ten Hag today, despite us having options off the bench.

Right now we’re 11th in the league averaging 1.4 points a game. That’s actually a regression, not an improvement.
Well obviously our improvement this season should be measured in various ways not just by the number of points accumulated over 5 games.

It really doesn’t. Goals and wins and points count in this league, and it seems beyond Ten Hag to lead this team to find king any of those things consistently. We’ve also won our fair share of games when the luck has been on our side and we haven’t deserved it (like the Fulham game).

There are valid criticisms claims to be made regarding our finishing today. But there are equally valid criticisms to be made about Ten Hag’s game management in the second half.

There are valid criticisms about game management in the second half, but the context is that this was still a game we were easily the better team, dominated the first half, and still controlled large portions of the second.

If thats not the case, you cant genuinely argue that there are no signs of improvement. Be honest and acknowledge that there has been progress in our performance and style of play. We were actually dominant today and could have easily won.
I would love to see improvements in our performances but all I see is us playing with intensity for a set period of the game, the opposition weathering the storm, and then us retreating into our shell while the manager can't adapt to the changes the opposition make while we almost, or actually do, lose the game. Today we were good for 60 minutes, against Brighton we were good for 20 minutes, against Spurs? Who knows! Could be 15 minutes, could be 80, but I promise you, it will be more of the same and you'll be in here banging the same drum ruing missed chances and whatever else.

When we are consistently, and that's the key word here, playing like this full for games and winning the ones we should, I will be delighted for Ten Hag to stay.

I would love to see improvements in our performances but all I see is us playing with intensity for a set period of the game, the opposition weathering the storm, and then us retreating into our shell while the manager can't adapt to the changes the opposition make while we almost, or actually do, lose the game. Today we were good for 60 minutes, against Brighton we were good for 20 minutes, against Spurs? Who knows! Could be 15 minutes, could be 80, but I promise you, it will be more of the same and you'll be in here banging the same drum ruing missed chances and whatever else.

When we are consistently, and that's the key word here, playing like this full for games and winning the ones we should, I will be delighted for Ten Hag to stay.
Which clubs have sustained intensity this season in their games?

Shows your how flawed and subjective your xG model gods are then, doesn't it?

Or alternatively, it shows how people will see what they want, and folks that want Ten Hag gone, especially the kind that use loaded words like "gods" and "cultists" to try to discredit dissenters, will see Palace having better chances as it fits their agenda.

Suffice to say I disagree for the time being, but this is reasonable enough that I'm happy to agree to disagree.

I don't think we were playing for a draw though, rather that the likes of Eriksen ran out of gas, and a lot of our forwards got impatient.
I also think this time right now is not ready to maintain and play high level football for 90 mins. That is why it is even more important to take the chances and build momentum. I hope this draw doesn't take the sting away from our performance in last 3 games. And hope we get a good win against Twente.