Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just the speed that they move the ball is night and day with us.

Its angering watching Spurs play after us.
I had to go for a walk, people say they see slight improvements in our game, but it's been 3 years. Ange changed Spurs style of play instantly, as do most managers. People with any hope are blind.

It's a weird attachment. I just want United to do well. Nobody comes before the club, nobody is bigger than the club. I just want us to be successful. A manager is just a piece of the puzzle for me, aside from SAF in my lifetime I genuinely haven't gotten attached to any of them to any serious degree. Many fans on this forum treat managers like they're royalty, no matter how bad it gets.
I don’t get it either. There’s some that attach themselves to players as well. Players come and go just like managers.

10 years ago we had a manager like Ferguson who is probably the GOAT of football managers and players like Giggs and Scholes who had extremely high levels of longevity at that level of football. Those guys are anomalies and not the norm.

If it was a simple case of ‘just give them time no matter what’ then fecking appoint Sam Allardyce to the job and he’ll be creating a dynasty of domination. It’s a disservice to Ferguson too. He wasn’t just some run of the mill Joe Average manager. He was the guy who still to this day is the last person who took the Scottish league title out of Glasgow and won a European title beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid with Aberdeen of all teams.

But it's also sad when people didn't see that the manager has form for choking at the end of games
Right. He's standing on the touchline making the players feck up in critical moments all by himself?

The moronic agenda-driven shite people post sometimes..

We were better today at times, but a lot of the negatives are the same old same. It’s early days in the season, I just want to see more to make me believe that Ten Hag is learning things. The progress is just so slow.
I would be curious to know how long the plan is. The fact we have signed two youngs strikers/forwards in the last two summers. Neither have Haaland like numbers so how long are we going to give them to mature into 20 goal a season forwards. I know Hojlund got was it 15 goals last season, but we need those numbers in the PL alone, we also need those sort of numbers from other players. I wouldn't mind if we were a swashbuckling side who outscored teams in entertaining game, but we aren't.

If the 2nd goal is down to coaching and not individual mistakes then surely it is the new set piece coach that is to blame?

Dalot was the first player closing the ball down after the corner, who was supposed to cover his position?

Right. He's standing on the touchline making the players feck up in critical moments all by himself?

Think it was just crazy defending where nobody bothered to look where their teammates were and who was marking who. Most seemed more bothered about preventing a cross and that didn't work either.

I wouldn't mind if we were a swashbuckling side who outscored teams in entertaining game, but we aren't.

We aren't good at anything consistently. It's really weird.

Even if we were a long ball, long throw shithouse team but really effective at it that would be better.

It’s clear there’s a concentration issue though? This team is nervy and panics so much, and it’s not improving. So why isn’t it being addressed? It’s on the manager and staff to work on this, we’ve seen it so often under him.

We were better today at times, but a lot of the negatives are the same old same. It’s early days in the season, I just want to see more to make me believe that Ten Hag is learning things. The progress is just so slow.

That's also my take.

also, for some reason, I felt much more negatively about Rangnick and Ole strictly as a manager. (Mourinho too but I despise him, so that's another level).
ETH doesn't elicit the same anger in me, though results and style wise, he 'should'.

Maybe it's just defiance on my end.

crappy times.

Hundreds of millions isn't his fault, he wasn't in charge of negotiating.

The fees involved was Arnold and the Glazers
You can't absolve him of some blame in that. Since he got veto right on transfers, why didn't he he stick his wise head in and say, "hey Arnold, that's a bit too much, I can get two quality players for the same amount". Surely he is part of the process, if he thought some transfers sum was bizarre he'd voice his opinion? Or are you suggesting he is kept in the dark? The media, the fans, everybody were aware of Anthonys 80 mil tag, yet somehow, Erik didn't know.

The excuses need to stop, he 100% thought the prices were fair or he should have stopped them. If he told Arnold Anthony is a player he likes but 80 mil is way too much I'm 100% sure they'd listen to him and reconsidered.

Since you blamed Arnold and the Glazers for the transfers, who's fault is it he cant get a tune out of them? Is that also Arnold or the Glazers?

Absolutely baffling the amount of excuses made for him in here.

A lot of y’all and the fan base in general went crazy over the FA cup win and will come back down to reality very quickly. ETH football philosophy is dated and that is why the team is regularly found lacking.

I didn't. It made no odds to me that he won the FA Cup, off the back of our worst ever Premier League season. He still should have gone.

But, ya know, everyone was like "let him cook", it's like a collective amnesia. So I'm at a point now where I'm beginning to not care.

He will never have us challenging for the top 4, let alone for the League itself, but standards are in the toilet now so, whatever.

Also, in this game the subs did make us worse. By the end Mainoo and Casemiro were completely spent. Add another body to help in midfield, either tell McTominay to drop deeper, or sub in Collyer to add another body in midfield and sacrifice an attacker.

I don’t get it either. There’s some that attach themselves to players as well. Players come and go just like managers.

10 years ago we had a manager like Ferguson who is probably the GOAT of football managers and players like Giggs and Scholes who had extremely high levels of longevity at that level of football. Those guys are anomalies and not the norm.

If it was a simple case of ‘just give them time no matter what’ then fecking appoint Sam Allardyce to the job and he’ll be creating a dynasty of domination. It’s a disservice to Ferguson too. He wasn’t just some run of the mill Joe Average manager. He was the guy who still to this day is the last person who took the Scottish league title out of Glasgow and won a European title beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid with Aberdeen of all teams.
People mistake SAF with Manchester United. People think giving a manager time will work for every manager, but like you said, it only worked for Sir Alex. Sir Bobby was the one who saved his job as he said he saw what he was building and his influence on the rest of the club.

People also mistake Sir Alex's style of play with Man Utd's. We don't have a style of play as a club, we play however the manager wants us to play which under SAF was attacking, wide play, and counter-attacking at times.

People think they can treat every manager like SAF and they'll become the next one. That won't happen and the fans are only hurting themselves.

Think it was just crazy defending where nobody bothered to look where their teammates were and who was marking who. Most seemed more bothered about preventing a cross and that didn't work either.
That snapshot is going to get memed. It looks like our whole team is looking to challenge the cross.

We aren't good at anything consistently. It's really weird.

Even if we were a long ball, long throw shithouse team but really effective at it that would be better.
Yeah. We play chaos ball but don't create much, but concede too many chances. We don't have any control in games, but we love having Onana and the 2 CBs pass the ball between each other all game. We aren't good at set pieces, despite having guys like Maguire, Casemiro, McTominay pretty often out there.

It's literally the outcome you get when you collect a group of individuals and don't coach them properly. Take away all the background noise last season and you still had a really poorly coached team.

Are people genuinely surprised? It's going to be a long season. How many people naively think things are going to change that much after one good game in the final.

Under Ten Hag, we've constantly been found lacking concentration until the end of games and it's seemed more frequent than I remembered it under previous managers. This stat from Opta seems to suggest that it might not have been an illusion....

The huge reason for this is we treat the game as a game of basketball. No control and keep the game 50-50 so this is bound to happen. We will win some but we will lose some as well.

It's sad how a lot of people clearly don't understand that it's possible to lose a game without it necessarily being the manager's fault.

It's also sad how a lot of people absolve someone who has been performing way below expectations for a very long time. As if it never happened.

I'm sure if we get unpleasant results in the coming weeks, we could blame anyone, but God forbid we put the blame at Ten Hag's feet. The misunderstood genius can do no wrong.

The huge reason for this is we treat the game as a game of basketball. No control and keep the game 50-50 so this is bound to happen. We will win some but we will lose some as well.
Pretty much. The lack of effort to gain prolonged control is bizarre, and judging by our signings and how the manager is setting us up, it’s not really something he’s bothered by.

It’s clear there’s a concentration issue though? This team is nervy and panics so much, and it’s not improving. So why isn’t it being addressed? It’s on the manager and staff to work on this, we’ve seen it so often under him.
How do you know it's not being addressed? The manager and the staff aren't playing the games.

We were very unlucky today, in a difficult away game. It happens.

Pretty much. The lack of effort to gain prolonged control is bizarre, and judging by our signings and how the manager is setting us up, it’s not really something he’s bothered by.

I see people getting eaten alive in the Ugarte thread for saying they would prefer a midfielder who can offer a bit more control of games and get their foot on the ball and dictate the tempo with their passing.

The argument is "Well clearly Ten Hag doesn't want to do that". Not wanting to control games when that is basically a pre requisite to consistently winning football matches is insane to me.

We were so good we went in 1-0 down at half time.
Anyone can go in at 1-0 down at HT. don’t think some people understand how football works. You could have 10 shots to their 1 in the first half and still be losing 1-0.

It's also sad how a lot of people absolve someone who has been performing way below expectations for a very long time. As if it never happened.

I'm sure if we get unpleasant results in the coming weeks, we could blame anyone, but God forbid we put the blame at Ten Hag's feet. The misunderstood genius can do no wrong.
I'm sure you're the perfect person to judge that. You should apply for a DoF job dude.

We need to get rid of Rashford & Antony. It's obviously a huge issue. Play Mount on the RW instead and start Zirk and use McTominay as backup until Hojlund is fit.

Garnacho is better and we need to just have 2 young prospects behind him and Amad.

Defensively as long as Shaw, Yoro, and De Ligt come back we should be okay.

Still subpar decisions from manager. But what fills me with confidence is we are improving squad and getting the right talent in/out. Just the pace is frustrating of rebuilding the squad.

I made a point about this with his Ajax team and how they lost to Spurs. It might be one of his weak spots, but then again, how do you train this?

Coffee?

In one of the recent Sky Sports / Overlap segments, Scholes made a point that I thought was relevant -- that we seem to treat every possession of the ball as an opportunity to score a goal (rather than to control the pace of the game), which often leads us to making rash decisions / over-optimistic forward passes. It means that we're never in control of the tempo of the game & often caught out of position in transitions. It's a huge tactical issue with how we set up, in my opinion.

United needs a GREAT manager, not a good manager. I think ETH is a good manager, but not a great manager. It is what it is. If you want to consistently win titles, you need players of a better caliber and a manager of a better caliber.

I'm not expecting much this season, just hoping to be pleasantly surprised if United can backdoor their way into 4th place.

I had to go for a walk, people say they see slight improvements in our game, but it's been 3 years. Ange changed Spurs style of play instantly, as do most managers. People with any hope are blind.
Look at what Emery achieved following Gerrard

This post is 100% bs. One of the reasons we have a DoF is to stop that from happening.

To be fair it seems we're still signing Ten Hags targets. We've signed 4 players, 3 of them born and raised in Holland, 2 of them former Ten Hag players at Ajax.

In one of the recent Sky Sports / Overlap segments, Scholes made a point that I thought was relevant -- that we seem to treat every possession of the ball as an opportunity to score a goal (rather than to control the pace of the game), which often leads us to making rash decisions / over-optimistic forward passes. It means that we're never in control of the tempo of the game & often caught out of position in transitions. It's a huge tactical issue with how we set up, in my opinion.
And I don't think it's going to change anytime soon under ETH.

How do you know it's not being addressed? The manager and the staff aren't playing the games.

We were very unlucky today, in a difficult away game. It happens.

We weren't unlucky. Not speaking to you specifically but we must realise the path we're going down here, becoming this echo chamber of ''unlucky, Brighton underserved'' posts. It's exactly what we used to mock the RAWK forums for back in the day. Brighton could have actually been 2-3 goals up at one point, hitting the crossbar, and their stats trump ours in nearly every metric. The second half started poorly and wasn't a good performance at all. Are you just going to say ''it happens'' if we continue to produce this for the next month?