Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
He's got until November/December for sure (unless results are too bad then October). Will have Ugarte and few players like Shaw and Hojlund coming back from injury. Fa Cup win saved him but no excuses left now.

United look like a very poorly coached team. Particularly defensively. Ten Hag has proven himself to be incapable of success here so it’s time to go. And waiting until December or January is not the answer, club ownership needs to act decisively.

He can't coach defense, he can't coach offense and the subs are dubious to say the best. By December, if we are still unstable like this without a strong run of form and improved awy performances he gotta go. No two ways about it.

After barely beating Fulham, just hoping he didn't thought another dodgy 1:0 will would fly again vs more concrete team like Brighton.

Bruno as CF, after 3 years of spending. Feckin hell... he and people above him need serious reality check.

Honestly, i think the way he has handled a number of issues with players such as Ronaldo and Sancho has been good. He also has the fact that even in a dysfunctional structure he won silverware in consecutive seasons. The players he has signed/brought through have been great overall (Antony excluded) and overall i see definite improvements in style of play.

We looked the better team for most of the game today and we lost due to two weak links in the team that the manager chose to put there:

1. No striker;
2. Rashford;
3. Maguire.

Obviously everything that is good set out above is pointless if he regularly gets decisions wrong that costs us games so I’m worried about his future here after today!
Thank you for your answer.
Personally think he's not good enough tactically, but lets see around Christmas time.

I found that generally quite disappointing. We can argue about the intricacies all day, but fact of the matter is we once again conceded a late goal. Countless times that happened last year. That’s speaks to a lack of concentration and organisation.

As for the rest of it, I’ve generally been indifferent to the “ETH in or out” debate because I felt there was more to fix first. But it’s getting a bit familiar feeling positive after good signings and not seeing progress. Granted the latest haven’t fully bedded in - but, it’s nonetheless frustrating.

And - some of the decisions and substitutions are also becoming increasingly annoying. McTominay for Fernandes killed us. It’s hard to really understand it.

Somewhat related note:

I offically am over the entire "inverting fullbacks and having wingers hug the line for width" gimmick. It can work if you have a bunch of Bernardo Silva esque wizards playing in those half space pockets and are constantly dominating the ball and squeezing the opposition out in their half, but it's largely just terrible for our own attackers to deal with if we aren't doing that. Rashford and Amad as a whole were poor today, but feck me it's not easy when everything they do has to come from recieving the ball on the touchline and being doubled up. If you aren't a Jeremy Doku esque take on wizard you'll largely have to try to intricately play your way into dangerous positions instead of being able to get the ball initially in spots closer to goal while a traditional fullback holds that width themselves. It' also isolates the feck out of strikers ( a huge reason why people seem to think we need ANOTHER striker when RVN himself would struggle for many touches in this system).

Just feels like managers copy the Pep JDP playbook but are unable to realize that he can do it through his personnel as well as clearly drilled patterns of final third play he has his guys make.
I fully agree with this. Our wingers get all the blame but the number of times they are isolated & have to dribble past 2-3 players doesn't help at all. Give me overlapping FB's anyday over this shit, especially as we play on the transition & don't control games on possession.

We also move the ball too slowly & make it harder for our attackers who are always going against set defenses & midfield.

When watching other clubs, the contrast in how other 'top 6' sides attack and play in comparison is something

I fully agree with this. Our wingers get all the blame but the number of times they are isolated & have to dribble past 2-3 players doesn't help at all. Give me overlapping FB's anyday over this shit, especially as we play on the transition & don't control games on possession.

We also move the ball too slowly & make it harder for our attackers who are always going against set defenses & midfield.

Yeah. It can work if the team you have has an intricate understanding of where the pockets of space are going to be and when to move into them to take advantage, but it's quite clear we aren't drilled well enough in that sense and instead it turns into players not being on the same page constantly with their movement in the final third. That is to say, I understand WHY managers ask the wingers to hold their position super wide and let the fullbacks play in that pseudo midfield role, I just think it takes an excellent coach and the ideal personell for that style to be consistently creating danger, otherwise it looks disjointed and lacking execution.

I think fullbacks are not overlapping because we already have two #10s pushing high and our wingers are no good defensively.

Last year we pushed too many bodies forward, this season that's not the case but we are still not playing cohesive in any formation. It's just a random group of players stepping up to the pitch every week. After 2 years.

Good point. But does it also work for Brighton, or only we wasted "dangerous opportunities"?

I think we've been wasting a lot of dangerous opportunities for the last 2 years and it doesn't make it feel any better.

It does go both ways, but the the level of dangerous opportunities was weighted in our direction.

There were multiple times that Amad in particular was through and was one pass away from putting someone though on goal, but they were wasted. In comparison, Brighton's only real threat for much of the game was the right winger (forgotten his name) who was well marshalled by Dalot.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence, that's one of the biggest reasonable criticisms that can be levelled at the manager. We need to do a lot more work on attacking routines so some of this stuff is more second nature, that way we're not quite so at the mercy of individual mistakes.

We look shit despite spending hundreds of millions on his former players and third season in charge. Blame the manager.

Hundreds of millions isn't his fault, he wasn't in charge of negotiating.

The fees involved was Arnold and the Glazers

Somewhat related note:

I offically am over the entire "inverting fullbacks and having wingers hug the line for width" gimmick. It can work if you have a bunch of Bernardo Silva esque wizards playing in those half space pockets and are constantly dominating the ball and squeezing the opposition out in their half, but it's largely just terrible for our own attackers to deal with if we aren't doing that. Rashford and Amad as a whole were poor today, but feck me it's not easy when everything they do has to come from recieving the ball on the touchline and being doubled up. If you aren't a Jeremy Doku esque take on wizard you'll largely have to try to intricately play your way into dangerous positions instead of being able to get the ball initially in spots closer to goal while a traditional fullback holds that width themselves. It' also isolates the feck out of strikers ( a huge reason why people seem to think we need ANOTHER striker when RVN himself would struggle for many touches in this system).

Just feels like managers copy the Pep JDP playbook but are unable to realize that he can do it through his personnel as well as clearly drilled patterns of final third play he has his guys make.
Great post. I have always felt it but you expressed it brilliantly

We look shit despite spending hundreds of millions on his former players and third season in charge. Blame the manager.
We didn't look "shit". We've been "shit" against Brighton for years, that wasn't it. We were unlucky in key moments, not good enough in others, and had an unfair referee. In a difficult away game. Boo fecking hoo.

We lost a game.

Blame the manager.
A manager that oversaw one of the worst seasons ever. The manager that should have been sacked. The manager that doesn’t appear to know what he’s doing.

Yeah ok, the fans are unjustly criticising the bald God.

We lost a game.

Blame the manager.
We didn't just lose, we got outplayed yet again by a team that cost significantly less to assemble. Danny Welbeck was let go by the club for not being good enough, yet he was far better than any of our attacking players today.

A manager that oversaw one of the worst seasons ever. The manager that should have been sacked. The manager that doesn’t appear to know what he’s doing.

Yeah ok, the fans are unjustly criticising the bald God.
Boo hoo.

Grow up.

We didn't just lose, we got outplayed yet again by a team that cost significantly less to assemble. Danny Welbeck was let go by the club for not being good enough, yet he was far better than any of our attacking players today.
No we weren't.

You people just make shit up don't you?

We look poorly managed. Whether we are poorly managed is hard to say, but there certainly is no evidence that the players are brilliantly managed.

Persevere we must until the situation is no longer tolerable. But whoever comes in will be stuck with the squad ETH built and it will take years to rebuild it.

Do we though? We’re making silly little errors. We was by far the better team first half. Our pressing as improved from last season. We had some good spells of keeping possession. Plus only 1 of his new signings his starting

I think there is practically no chance of him being the manager next season. I do like him in general, I really can't see what we are trying to do. We won't get CL this season in my opinion. Once we don't he is gone.

I just hope we start playing with a real striker instead of Bruno up top. Also hope this team finds a way to continue the second half the way they play the first. We looked wank against Fulham in the 2nd half and today we only looked good for 15 minutes in the 2nd half.

It's a shame because both games we started off quite well even though we conceded a bad goal in the first today. It happens. But I just want to see us impose our will on other teams. Turn a switch and take what's yours. Instead we give control away completely and shut off mentally even when we're down 1-0. That Amad goal changed the momentum but even then it was only for a short while.

I wanted him gone in the summer but now I won't crush him after 1 defeat. Let the window end and all the distractions are taken care off. Will judge him post the international break