Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Seems like "we look better than last season" (impossible not to do so, given that it was rock bottom for us) is the emerging excuse that's going to be brought up repeatedly this season.

It's an unbelievable rhetoric almost attempting to anaesthetize how deficient last season really was in reality by protracting it to be a benchmark for the team to springboard from this present campaign.

Hypothetically It's like saving up for years to purchase a car outright only then to find the owner has purchased the Diesel variant of the exact same year, model and mileage from the petrol one they had previously citing they're getting 10mpg better for in town driving.

All in all United are still not performing was well as they were during Eth's initial first season where the team had the ingredients of Solskjaer, Ragnick and himself rolled into one. Even then it's not a standout season given the team lost 9 games but it serves as a better outlier for measuring the progression of the team having amassed 75 points previously.

There are also folk watching who want to stick by the Manager and will provide every excuse possible to ensure he isn't critised.

We were not in control in the 2nd half at all. I don't understand why people have to over exaggerate.
There are indeed, and I think he does deserve some criticism, my biggest one today is that I thought the Maguire/De Ligt switch was a bad idea, it costs us some cohesion at the back, just start one and stick with it.

However, we were in almost total control in the first half, and while the second half was more even we had lots of opportunities, were terribly unlucky with the offside goal, and wasted lots more promising attacks.

Honestly, i think the way he has handled a number of issues with players such as Ronaldo and Sancho has been good. He also has the fact that even in a dysfunctional structure he won silverware in consecutive seasons. The players he has signed/brought through have been great overall (Antony excluded) and overall i see definite improvements in style of play.

We looked the better team for most of the game today and we lost due to two weak links in the team that the manager chose to put there:

1. No striker;
2. Rashford;
3. Maguire.

Obviously everything that is good set out above is pointless if he regularly gets decisions wrong that costs us games so I’m worried about his future here after today!

Left back injuries too.

Brighton were nowhere near us in the first half, the second half was pretty even, but we had the ball in dangerous areas throughout the match and wasted it with poor passing. We were a few misplaced passes away from having multiple easy chances.

By your logic perhaps taking some potshots to get the shot count up would have made us the better team, but I disagree with your interpretation of the stats.
What kind of logic is that? You can be one imaginary pass from scoring a goal all game. That is not a positive.

They outperformed us on xG quite significantly as well if you're referring to stats.

The thing that stuck out for me is very very sloppy play from the usual suspects. We were set up well, and should've gone into the 2nd half in front. Amad, Rashford, and Bruno were terrible in the first half.

Second half was much more even, and it was sloppy turnovers and terrible defending thay cost us. The one thing I'd out on ETH is that we looked ragged again at the end of the game, which we see far too often

Do you think being condescending like this is adding value to the discussion? All this thread shows is who can debate reasonably. It seems like your ego can’t handle the fact that the stats of the game don’t back up your viewpoint. Stats aren’t everything but it’s the closest thing to objectivity that we have and you’re the one who kept lobbing the term around while completely ignoring them, so why don’t you give the superiority complex a rest.
It isn’t that serious, relax. I’m sure most people feel confident in their ability to watch football and come to objective conclusions. The stats show the game was incredibly tight, but I’ll maintain it is unlucky to lose that game based on how we played and the goal we should have had. The end part of the game was poor though 100%.

So missed the game as it coincided with our league match kick off - second week in a row ffs.

Can someone do an objective tl;dr? Who dominated? Most chances? Deserved to win or lucky it was only 2-1?

I don't know if we've ever been easier to beat than we are now under ETH.

You don't even have to play well to have a good chance of victory against us. Just stay in the game and you'll always get chances to beat us.

We’ve scored 2 goals in 2 games. Brighton have 5.

Did Steele have to make many saves at all? Our standards must be pretty low if we think that performance was very good.

fecking annoying watching other teams score freely while we're still going around in circles.

Liverpool game will be telling. At home, against a new manager who has received absolutely no support this window. Not a single pathetic excuse not to win it. I'd be pretty okay with releasing him in case of a loss.

I thought we deserved to win today, or at least a well earned draw. Ten hags biggest mistake at the moment is persisting with rashford, but we look far less vulnerable. Brighton away will be a tough game for most teams, and by seasons end a draw would have been decent. It was a freak offside really, but the set piece defending and ability to see a game out has seemingly not been worked on.

I will also criticse the subs. Maguire off at that stage seems like needlessly upsetting a defence in a tight game, and fernandes off was very strange. we created nothing after it.

So im trying to take this game in the context of this season, not last, and in that regard it was a tough loss we have to take on the chin. But if rashford continues to start we have real problems.

We also need a number 9. even danny bloody welbeck would give us another option, its crazy to have either hojlund fit, or have a false 9 situation

There are indeed, and I think he does deserve some criticism, my biggest one today is that I thought the Maguire/De Ligt switch was a bad idea, it costs us some cohesion at the back, just start one and stick with it.

However, we were in almost total control in the first half, and while the second half was more even we had lots of opportunities, were terribly unlucky with the offside goal, and wasted lots more promising attacks.

Brighton also wasted chances... we also wasted lots of promising attacks last season. It's not a new, promising sign. Far from it, it's a sign that nothing has actually changed in our offensive play.

What was better is Maz looked solid at RB, he looks so far a decent signing that will improve us. We also look better (no shit) with Casemiro in some form. Those are the two positives from me today along with the obvious Mainoo. But i'm not going to sit here clapping my hands like a seal when we have yet again lost under ETH. The same inconsistency that has riddled his time at United has again surfaced immediately this season. I'm also fed up with people spouting bullshit excuses for the Manager. This is year three with a horrendous amount of money spent, if he can't make us consistent this season then he has no business being here. My patience is out. Lose to Liverpool and there is going to be genuine anger from many fans.

So missed the game as it coincided with our league match kick off - second week in a row ffs.

Can someone do an objective tl;dr? Who dominated? Most chances? Deserved to win or lucky it was only 2-1?

Draw probably a fair result.

That being said Utd dominated for a good chunk of the first half. Their goal was very much against the run of play.

Second half, ETH decimated the midfield by bringing off Mount and Bruno and shoving Zirkzee and McTominay in there. Became very much end to end with Utd just looking for counters, now if players could fecking stay onside it might have been a different story. Zirkzee disallowed goal to make it 2-1 was a 1 in a million offside that was just pure bad luck.

Utd lost this game because of two shit defensive errors and the midfield battle was lost following subs which allowed Brighton to dictate the flow of the last 15-20 mins.

Also Pawson is a cnut, he point blank refused to book Brighton players for deliberate cynical fouls. But went through a phase of giving them every free going and booked 3 or 4 Utd players for nothing. If he dishes out those yellow cards as deserved they can't continue the shithousery they got away with and it changes some of the counters and breaks.

Brighton matched us in all key statistical areas, and beat us in the one area that truly counts.

Its not unlucky to be outshot and basically matched in possession or to have literally zero offside calls. They were simply a well coached and better disciplined side today.

ZhlTN50.png

As shown relatively even basis and a game consistent of two halfs.

Poor game management from Erik lost the game on that basis alone again odd substitutions.

It still feels like we are relying on luck rather than good team play.

First half, united controlled the football- really well set up and the press was on point, unlucky to be behind - Maguire should done better, Welbeck tapped it in. Amad had missed a decent chance after a Dalot cross. Passing out of the back was decent, final ball not so for the most part

Second half Brighton were better, they pushed their defence higher up the pitch and had more success counterpressing - United dangerous on the break, but bad timing and quality of final ball. Amad scored after a decent break, deflected finish. Garnacho (I suppose technically Zirkzee) had a goal ruled out from a break where Zirkzee was sliding towards goal and the ball hits his knee while offside and the ball was going in. It is what it is, no goal.

Brighton then start being more and more dominant in the last 10 and extra time as legs were going - they then score after left side of defence goes missing inexplicably

Overall, draw probably the fair result looking at the 90, but the defensive errors were so bad that I can't begrudge Brighton the win really.

Nothing I've seen from ETH since he's arrived gives me any confidence that he is the right manager to lead Manchester United.

(and he was easily my #1 choice to hire at the time)

• We started well, put Brighton under pressure.
  • From 20mins onwards Brighton grew into the game a bit.
  • They scored with their first genuine chance.
  • We had more control in the first half, wasted chances and Brighton were clinical. Mount was substitued at HT (injury?).
  • Brighton played far better in the second half, wasted many chances themselves at the start of the 2nd half and we were on the ropes.
  • We then scored against the run of play, it was a nice move, finished by a deflection.
  • We then controlled the game for the next 10mins, we had a goal scored but ruled off for offside (this was very bad luck, you'll find videos im sure).
  • ETH then changed the team with some subs and made us worse, all control was lost.
  • Brighton finished the stronger again and put us under real pressure in the final 10mins, we conceded with bad defending in the final few mins.
Positives: Maz, Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount(ish)
Negatives: Our forwards, defending set pieces (so bad).

i dont think a single one of our players put in an 8/10 performance, which is worrying considering its only our 2nd game. to me that reflects badly on ETH as he doesnt seem to inspire the players at all, which is a big part of his brief.

Neither team dominated. It was a tight game, in the first half Utd's shape was more effective, neutralized Brighton for long periods, looked difficult to play against without creating much and giving away a soft goal. Brighton were better in the second but their wide players were generally well contained despite having a lot more opportunities, while Utd retained a threat on the break.

It is an improvement on last season but we have to contextualize that, last season was just about the most inept and amateurish performance from a major club I have ever seen, it was horrific. This season there are flaws but at least they are normal flaws and the team looks like a professional outfit.

Brighton also wasted chances... we also wasted lots of promising attacks last season. It's not a new, promising sign. Far from it, it's a sign that nothing has actually changed in our offensive play.

What was better is Maz looked solid at RB, he looks so far a decent signing that will improve us. We also look better (no shit) with Casemiro in some form. Those are the two positives from me today along with the obvious Mainoo. But i'm not going to sit here clapping my hands like a seal when we have yet again lost under ETH. The same inconsistency that has riddled his time at United has again surfaced immediately this season. I'm also fed up with people spouting bullshit excuses for the Manager. This is year three with a horrendous amount of money spent, if he can't make us consistent this season then he has no business being here. My patience is out. Lose to Liverpool and there is going to be genuine anger from many fans.

There's a lot of hyperbole in this post. Ten Hag isn't the one spending money, that's been explained so often now that anyone parroting that tired trope is wilfully ignorant.

The were lots of positives from today, among them that we were the better team and looked in control for large periods, played through the Brighton press repeatedly, have more depth, etc.

There were downsides too, you make a good point about our attack still being a bit incoherent (hopefully Ruud can do something about that), and we lost concentration in defence which handed Brighton their goals.

Nope. It's why I wanted Barkely or Rabiot or someone in on the cheap. Kid is still a teenager being asked to basically every minute of every game, if he ever needs a rest or gets injured we'll be fecked.

What I'd do is take Mainoo off and play Casemiro/Ugarte/Collyer with Eriksen ahead instead of Bruno.

We played well in periods but we are still the same team that shat the bed last season.... Make of that what you will.

Did you win?

Why hasn't he prioritized a right side attacker?

Is the plan to go with Amad and Antony and sometimes shunting out mount and Bruno?

In what world is that good enough for top 4?
Amad was more than decent.

Why hasn't he prioritized a right side attacker?

Is the plan to go with Amad and Antony and sometimes shunting out mount and Bruno?

In what world is that good enough for top 4?

Maybe its on the cards if we shift Sancho

I'm not. Just pointing out that its not accurate to say we were unlucky when Brighton matched us in all key statistical areas, and beat us in the one area that truly counts.

Its not unlucky to be outshot and basically matched in possession or to have literally zero offside calls. They were simply a well coached and better disciplined side today.

ZhlTN50.png
These stats suggest a draw was reflecting the balance of the sides. With Brighton snatching it at the last. Essentially that's what happened, I think they deserve it for the sake of carving out their opportunity and putting it away. Though I do feel we were terribly unfortunate with the offside. It doesn't matter anyway, we lost and it was a fine margins game. Matinee kick off with one of our longest travels in heavy rain, it was going to be a bit of a slog.

I know you have the normal ten Hag in and ten Hag out amongst Utd fans. It is telling when accounts that have been supporting him are starting to become critical.

What kind of logic is that? You can be one imaginary pass from scoring a goal all game. That is not a positive.

They outperformed us on xG quite significantly as well if you're referring to stats.

It's fairly simple, we wasted a lot of really dangerous opportunities and overloads with poor passing and decision making. Get a couple of those right, and the result is different.

As for xG, that's what happens when you shoot more, we got 0xG for Garnacho's tap in because it goes down as a pass to Zirkzee.

I know you have the normal ten Hag in and ten Hag out amongst Utd fans. It is telling when accounts that have been supporting him are starting to become critical.

He's toast, and has been since last season. Anyone who thought that Ineos' decision to retain him was little more than a stay of execution is delusional.

Brighton beat us in nearly every stat. Goals, shots off and on target, xg. Possession was 48:52 for us. Lets say it was equal game where we created whole sum of 3 clear chances in 90 minutes.

Their manager is there 3 months and started the game without any new player.
Our manager had 2,5 years to implement his style and spent 600 mil euros on new players.
And some of you are still talking about "positives" and "how we didn't look bad".

What the hell is going on here?

The Liverpool match is, fairly on unfairly, going to determine the narrative and direction of the season early on

Already a massive game for the team and manager.

He can probably get away with a draw but heading into the international break on back to back losses would 100% have the effect of creating a circus and casting a massive dark cloud for discussions surrounding the club

There's a lot of hyperbole in this post. Ten Hag isn't the one spending money, that's been explained so often now that anyone parroting that tired trope is wilfully ignorant.

The were lots of positives from today, among them that we were the better team and looked in control for large periods, played through the Brighton press repeatedly, have more depth, etc.

There were downsides too, you make a good point about our attack still being a bit incoherent (hopefully Ruud can do something about that), and we lost concentration in defence which handed Brighton their goals.

We weren't in control for large periods. That's just a lie. We had a good first 20mins and a good 10mins in the 2nd half.

Yet plenty of people critised our previous Managers for the money they spent. Money that strengthens the squad, these are players ETH has worked with previously and should know how to get the most out of and he just can't do it. It's utterly bizarre the defense this Manager gets. It's weird.