Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Liverpool match is, fairly on unfairly, going to determine the narrative and direction of the season early on

Already a massive game for the team and manager.

He can probably get away with a draw but heading into the international break on a loss would 100% effectively the effect of creating a circus and casting a massive dark cloud for discussions surrounding the club

It's going to be very ugly for him if we start De Ligt, Mazraoui, Zirkzee and Ugarte (if he signs) and we get walloped.

I don't think people are reacting to how we looked today. I think people are reacting to watching the same movie for what feels like the 20th time in a year.
That’s the problem, isn’t it? It doesn’t really matter what happens in the game for some, only the outcome of it, and if we lose, it’s another nail in Ten Hag’s coffin, regardless.

• We started well, put Brighton under pressure.
  • From 20mins onwards Brighton grew into the game a bit.
  • They scored with their first genuine chance.
  • We had more control in the first half, wasted chances and Brighton were clinical. Mount was substitued at HT (injury?).
  • Brighton played far better in the second half, wasted many chances themselves at the start of the 2nd half and we were on the ropes.
  • We then scored against the run of play, it was a nice move, finished by a deflection.
  • We then controlled the game for the next 10mins, we had a goal scored but ruled off for offside (this was very bad luck, you'll find videos im sure).
  • ETH then changed the team with some subs and made us worse, all control was lost.
  • Brighton finished the stronger again and put us under real pressure in the final 10mins, we conceded with bad defending in the final few mins.
Positives: Maz, Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount(ish)
Negatives: Our forwards, defending set pieces (so bad).
Pretty much how i saw it. We weren't 'unlucky not to win', a draw is what we deserved and loss is a little harsh but Fulham fans would argue they deserved a draw in the last game too as they squandered many good opportunities.

I thought Casemiro and Mainoo were poor. Casemiro was ill disciplined and reckless with his constant slide tackling while Mainoo also gave away the ball plenty of times and looked gassed about 60 mins which seems typical for him.

The wingers were just god awful. Rashford is totally out of form and devoid of any confidence and I have no idea why he keeps starting. I'm a big fan of Amad but he wsa very wasteful too.

Dalot player of the match and probably the best/most consistent players in the team.

Why hasn't he prioritized a right side attacker?

Is the plan to go with Amad and Antony and sometimes shunting out mount and Bruno?

In what world is that good enough for top 4?
He should be told to get a tune out of the ones he has. People always say we need this player that player, we need a decent manager of which he isn't, at all.

• We started well, put Brighton under pressure.
  • From 20mins onwards Brighton grew into the game a bit.
  • They scored with their first genuine chance.
  • We had more control in the first half, wasted chances and Brighton were clinical. Mount was substitued at HT (injury?).
  • Brighton played far better in the second half, wasted many chances themselves at the start of the 2nd half and we were on the ropes.
  • We then scored against the run of play, it was a nice move, finished by a deflection.
  • We then controlled the game for the next 10mins, we had a goal scored but ruled off for offside (this was very bad luck, you'll find videos im sure).
  • ETH then changed the team with some subs and made us worse, all control was lost.
  • Brighton finished the stronger again and put us under real pressure in the final 10mins, we conceded with bad defending in the final few mins.
Positives: Maz, Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount(ish)
Negatives: Our forwards, defending set pieces (so bad).

I think it is a pretty good tl;dr although i would add that

[*] both Brighton goals were self inflicted. First one by a Maguire mistake and second one by leaving two players open after a corner
[*] we had some good chances to create a good chance. Amad made some really bad decisions or messed up a pass.

In my opinion Manchester United didnt really deserve to lose based on the whole game. When you struggle to score and give away goals, it is very likely that you will lose though. Like todays game showed.

Brighton beat us in nearly every stat. Goals, shots off and on target, xg. Possession was 48:52 for us. Lets say it was equal game where we created whole sum of 3 clear chances in 90 minutes.

Their manager is there 3 months and started the game without any new player.
Our manager had 2,5 years to implement his style and spent 600 mil euros on new players.
And some of you are still talking about "positives" and "how we didn't look bad".

What the hell is going on here?
Their manager inherited a better team

We weren't in control for large periods. That's just a lie. We had a good first 20mins and a good 10mins in the 2nd half.

Yet plenty of people critised our previous Managers for the money they spent. Money that strengthens the squad, these are players ETH has worked with previously and should know how to get the most out of and he just can't do it. It's utterly bizarre the defense this Manager gets. It's weird.

I totally disagree with your assessment of the match. I won't be so childish as to call it a lie, but I do think it's completely inaccurate.

Your logic here is that because people incorrectly criticised previous managers for spending money, that vindicates you doing the same thing now? That's really silly. Managers don't spend money, that's been done so badly by the likes of Woodward and Murtough, knowingly repeating the same obvious untruth is far more weird than any defense of the manager I've seen.

That’s the problem, isn’t it? It doesn’t really matter what happens in the game for some, only the outcome of it, and if we lose, it’s another nail in Ten Hag’s coffin, regardless.

I mean sure, but can you really blame them? We are in year 3 now, and it's not like we missed sitter after sitter today and conceded two jammy set piece goals in some shocking upset. It was largely 50/50 especially in the second half. Brighton were good value for their goals, if anything the game should have been 2-2 which still isn't good.

It was patently obvious to anyone who watched us last season that this guy didn’t have a clue. I mean, just miles off the standard required. There is nothing surprising about this result. This will happen repeatedly until he is fired.

:lol:
Remember…. We extended his contract

He's probably going to 'stumble' into a strong first 11 and then we'll have a good run of form until he runs them into the ground.

We're definitely more conservative on the ball and trying to purposefully control the game compared to the last season but it's still so hamfisted at times. Too many first time through balls, which on the 50/50 occasions that are actually collected by our players in good areas of the pitch are then killed off in its tracks by Garnacho, Amad, Rashford and Bruno. We then speed it up again unnecessarily when we've got our whole team in their half, lose it and go backtracking again.

We desperately need another midfielder to play in the pivot alongside Casemiro, which is looking likely to be Ugarte and I hate to say it but it will be for Mainoo's place. I'm not against that for practicality sake but ETH should be doing so much better with this group of players.

I can see Sir Jim appointing the first English manager in Man United's Premier League history.

The obvious choice is currently not working, just waiting for the call we all know is inevitible.
I’d rather if we appointed based on competences not passport. I’d hope sir Jim noticed that nepotism and national preferences, as presented by ten Hag et al, has nothing to do with professionalism and doesn’t bring success

I mean sure, but can you really blame them? We are in year 3 now, and it's not like we missed sitter after sitter today and conceded two jammy set piece goals in some shocking upset. It was largely 50/50 especially in the second half. Brighton were good value for their goals, if anything the game should have been 2-2 which still isn't good.
I’ve held my counsel despite doubts about this season. But this is a brand new season and whatever will materialise, it’s daft to slam it all to hell unless you have a preconceived notion and just want the guy out regardless.

But who replaces him?
Tuchel or Southgate i guess. My fear it will be Southgate.
But, ETH proved that he is more a cup manager. So i wouldn't be surprised if we will have good runs in all cups, hot and cold in PL and winning EL at the end. Which will keep him at his job.

Somewhat related note:

I offically am over the entire "inverting fullbacks and having wingers hug the line for width" gimmick. It can work if you have a bunch of Bernardo Silva esque wizards playing in those half space pockets and are constantly dominating the ball and squeezing the opposition out in their half, but it's largely just terrible for our own attackers to deal with if we aren't doing that. Rashford and Amad as a whole were poor today, but feck me it's not easy when everything they do has to come from recieving the ball on the touchline and being doubled up. If you aren't a Jeremy Doku esque take on wizard you'll largely have to try to intricately play your way into dangerous positions instead of being able to get the ball initially in spots closer to goal while a traditional fullback holds that width themselves. It' also isolates the feck out of strikers ( a huge reason why people seem to think we need ANOTHER striker when RVN himself would struggle for many touches in this system).

Just feels like managers copy the Pep JDP playbook but are unable to realize that he can do it through his personnel as well as clearly drilled patterns of final third play he has his guys make.

For a start he managed to turn an utterly useless Mateta into a clinical goalscorer. I also loved some of the football he had Palace playing. Granted they've started this season slowly so he may have been a one season wonder, we'll wait and see.

I’ve held my counsel despite doubts about this season. But this is a brand new season and whatever will materialise, it’s daft to slam it all to hell unless you have a preconceived notion and just want the guy out regardless.

I think it's a bit disengenuous to not expect people to have a shorter fuse on proceedings especially in a match like today where 60th minute on the game could have been any number of matches we watched just last season when many were shouting that those game states were just a product of injury luck.

Even in the Fulham game it turned largely end to end in the final 20 minutes, and they fecked up several counters that should have resulted in gilt edge chances but luckily didn't. It's not like we've swamped teams for 85 minutes and got some brutal luck to cause us to lose. Sure the Zirkzee incident was unavoidable and unfortunate, but on the other end they hit the bar and had another one cleared off the line.

What did he actually say to the players at halftime? When we went in 1-0 down I expected us to come out for the 2nd all guns blazing looking for a quick equalizer but instead we came out and were immeadiatly on the back foot and really slow to move the ball forward when we had it with Maguire and Martinez often opting to pass back to Onana instead of trying to play it forward.

It's fairly simple, we wasted a lot of really dangerous opportunities and overloads with poor passing and decision making. Get a couple of those right, and the result is different.

As for xG, that's what happens when you shoot more, we got 0xG for Garnacho's tap in because it goes down as a pass to Zirkzee.
Good point. But does it also work for Brighton, or only we wasted "dangerous opportunities"?

I think we've been wasting a lot of dangerous opportunities for the last 2 years and it doesn't make it feel any better.

Graham Potter?

We dont need genius for now. We just need managers with balls of titanium to drop names, starts with hungry players who plays for the shirt, get the basic right, get in top 5 consistently and maybe once our malady has been fixed, we'll move on to the top manager to push it forward.

There's no point appointing Rinus Michel if he doesnt have the balls to drop rashford and co.

It's never about the manager not being tactcually good enough, it goes deeper than that. Years of giving unconditional support when served dross has ruined the clubs culture and mentality

And then it misleads about the balance of the game.. which is the point
As an overall picture I don't think it does really.... though I've not seen the goal but just from the still images it looks like a case where if the offside player just doesn't touch it then it's a goal.

I suppose it depends whether they class the Garnacho attempt as a shot (where I suppose it would count towards xG) or a cross/pass where it wouldn't count towards xG. I'm not really sure now to be honest.

I’d rather if we appointed based on competences not passport. I’d hope sir Jim noticed that nepotism and national preferences, as presented by ten Hag et al, has nothing to do with professionalism and doesn’t bring success
He's winding people up.

What's changed?

Can't/wont control midfield. Poor subs. Defensive line too deep... Last 20 minutes was back to the end-end chaos ball.

Those who forgot the season, style/tactics based off one game and all the noise that kept him in a job... Hope you're all happy.

As an overall picture I don't think it does really.... though I've not seen the goal but just from the still images it looks like a case where if the offside player just doesn't touch it then it's a goal.

I suppose it depends whether they class the Garnacho attempt as a shot (where I suppose it would count towards xG) or a cross/pass where it wouldn't count towards xG. I'm not really sure now to be honest.

Well, if united have .7 xG knocked off for the touch when if it hadn't happened it was going in and that .7 xG is basically the difference between the two sides' xG then its material and realistically in this case xG is not telling you what actually watching the game did

There had been many ongoing feuds in the previous thread with pro and anti Ten Hag posters carrying on established threads between themselves.

This is a thread about Ten Hag, not a thread about the fanbase or your personal bickering ground. At the risk of receiving warnings and being threadbanned, leave the pettiness of last season in the now defunct thread. If you really wish to snipe at one another, use PMs.

Thanks - and let's have some real conversations! :)
What to do with the pettiness from this season?

We dont need genius for now. We just need managers with balls of titanium to drop names, starts with hungry players who plays for the shirt, get the basic right, get in top 5 consistently and maybe once our malady has been fixed, we'll move on to the top manager to push it forward.

There's no point appointing Rinus Michel if he doesnt have the balls to drop rashford and co.

It's never about the manager not being tactcually good enough, it goes deeper than that. Years of giving unconditional support when served dross has ruined the clubs culture and mentality
Just wonder who has the kudos to get their respect in the first place, but that's a bit of a cheek with some of them, but also has the nerve to drop people, but respected enough for it not to cause issues with the squad. Then tactics and organisation will need to come into it.

First goal was totally Maguire's fault, why he didn't sense any danger? He should have put the ball out for a corner. The second goal was really a bad one, there were 3 Brighton players at the back post where we have zero defenders. Where is Dalot? Where is Martinez? Everyone was ball watching. That's the problem with United. We don't score enought goals to save our own asses. If we have misfiring attackers then our defender are constantly in under pressure. United should buy an out and out striker, maybe we should put in a bid for Toney. Please start dropping Rashford, this blind faith is enough. If ETH loves Rashford so well, please buy him when you join another club. 2 for 1, Rashford and Antony for 50 million.