Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Had a fairly even game with a manager that's just stepping into big club management and has spent a fraction of what he has.

That's progress.

Last edited:
One couldn't seriously make that argument - Welbeck's header hitting the bar was a very low percentage effort, and it's not a sure goal if it's crawling along slowly enough for Dalot to get back and clear it 2 yards off the goal line.

We were legitimately unlucky with an actually certain goal being ruled out for offside because it hit Zirkzee before crossing the line.

We had numerous great attacking opportunities today that were wasted due to poor passes or decision making, and the goals we conceded were due to awful defending. The latter is something we need to work on, no doubt, but we never deserved to lose this match and the histrionics in this thread are just silly.

Yeah its hard to make the case we were unlucky when they out shot us (both shots and shots on target). We were literally within inches of being down 3-0 at one point, so maybe we were the lucky ones.

You're just making things up now. Even when estup was fit he wasn't nailed to start. And who was the other midfielder you said was injured? Ferguson is FAR from being their nailed 9 and it's nothing to do with injuries. He's very young and very inconsistent.
And you are just trolling. They lost their star-midfield signing before the game today. Injuries have definitely hampered Ferguson's progress. And they lost their potential second-best striker to a long-term injury (only came on late today). Estupinan started pretty much every match he was fit.

I wanted him to stay. I still believe he has the qualities to be successful here, but today’s loss is squarely on him. Keep picking Maguire and Rashford and he will deserve the sack.

State of this thread again, genuinely worry about some of your wellbeing.

It’s a sport, entertainment, not life or death.

Go out, get some fresh air, enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend!

Using preseason results tells me you're either literally dumb, or bad faith

The only 3 preseasons in our PL history with negative results (more losses than wins) were 2013-14 (Moyes sacked), 2018-19 (Jose sacked) and 2024-25 (ETH sacked, hopefully).

Our fan base is bat shit crazy, but not in a good way. Many of them are trying to be objective and sensible but don't realize they're more so coming off like Liverpool fans previous to Klopp.
They are trying to prove to be top reds by trying to see things which aren’t there. Yes, we aren’t as dismal as last season, but is that good enough? We are still awful at creating chances and still have given away plenty of decent chances to both Fulham and Brighton.

I guess the bar is actually so low now that as long as we don’t get clobbered by any of the teams and finish in the top 7 limping over the line, these same people would be happy.

There have been improvements on how we played last season. Across the City, Fulham and Brighton games, we're conceding fewer chances and teams actually have to play their way into the game.

Our finishing is awful and if it were better we'd have trounced Fulham and probably beaten Brighton. I'm happy enough to persist with Ten Hag for this season to see where this tweak in formation and tactics brings us.

The big problem he has is that we were so poor last season. If we'd seen this change last year we would have no problem accepting these teething issues. There just isn't the same appetite or patience to see it through. At least amongst the online fan base. Maybe for INEOS too. But they'll probably be happy enough if we're top 6 by the New Year.

The thing is that 600m is an investment sufficient to mount a title challenge and we are still nowhere near it. Third season and we still have the vulnerabilities we had in his first season and can't see games out to save our lives.

Last season was a guarantee that United will never win the league under Eth.

Injury crisis or tactical insufficiency whatever the perspective is or the reasons a good manager doesn't allow the ground to fall beneath themselves to such an extent.

If INEOS strategic intention is to win the league at some point in the near future they should have axed the manager last season.

Handing this clown a new contract told him and the players that Manchester United have low standards.

Rashford (being retained and) walking back into the first team after the summer as if he'd somehow earned it said the exact same thing. Low standards.

We've set a very low bar for players and managers, and things will be no different this season to last season as a result.

We lost 14 games last season in the league. Seems like more than just a coin flip. We're already two games in and experienced our first loss in very similar fashion.

Yeah I'm more speaking to how the game state ends up being approached especially as the minutes wear on. Majority of the time in the 70th minute on it becomes "exciting" because it turns into end to end madness (flipping a coin and hoping you come out ahead), instead of actively applying pressure and pushing for a goal through a sustained threat (go watch Liverpool last season against Luton or many of the Arsenal/City games where they need a late goal and the difference is night and day).

The only 3 preseasons in our PL history with negative results (more losses than wins) were 2013-14 (Moyes sacked), 2018-19 (Jose sacked) and 2024-25 (ETH sacked, hopefully).

We were missing 6 important first team players due to international commitments, the results cannot by any rational measure be used to say that when we have everyone back the squad cannot compete

it's sad to say, but with Newcastle United getting saudi money, they will become the dominant club probably in the world soon, so United have no chance of catching City or NUFC soon.
These players, the coaches, the manager and even the fans all know this, so collectively the belief just isn't there.

The amount of money the club had heomorraged just to remain mediocre is the bigger problem. Spending £40-80m like it is nothing on what are clearly reserve team quality players is the problem.I can't relate to players who get paid silly money with zero accountability.

I wanted him to stay. I still believe he has the qualities to be successful here, but today’s loss is squarely on him. Keep picking Maguire and Rashford and he will deserve the sack.
What qualities do you see in him that makes you think he'll be a success?
I'm honestly curious.

Yeah its hard to make the case we were unlucky when they out shot us (both shots and shots on target). We were literally within inches of being down 3-0, so maybe we were the lucky ones.

You're being deliberately obtuse, by your own logic we were inches away from winning 2-0.

People are so unable to objectively ingest football. We played well and controlled large parts of the game, we are a very unlucky team. That’s what happened yet again today.

There are folks who are watching through the lens of wanting the manager gone, and there are plenty who overreact either way.

I agree with you, I thought we were the better team, looked in control for most of the match, and were let down by numerous individual mistakes, both going forward ruining our attacks, and at the back.

Handing this clown a new contract told him and the players that Manchester United have low standards.

Rashford (being retained and) walking back into the first team after the summer as if he'd somehow earned it said the exact same thing. Low standards.

We've set a very low bar for players and managers, and things will be no different this season to last season as a result.
He didn't get a new contract, its still the same one with the +1 year triggered.

If those players have that sort or mentally then they should be no where near the club, regardless of manager.

Prior to Ten Hag taking over we only lost 2 games in the 90th minute or later since 1993. 6 since he took over!

He needs to sort out the build up and general slow passing. It makes us so easy to play against.

Looking like we have done nothing that will solve our goalscoring problem which will be the biggest thing that'll hold us back.

Hope to be wrong but it's how I see it so far

The improvements that I’m seeing aren’t rrqlly enough after 2 years tbh.

The pressing structure looks much better but there are still so many problems even after 600m spent.

Can't still be holding on to small wins or 'moral' victories in year 3...

Seems like "we look better than last season" (impossible not to do so, given that it was rock bottom for us) is the emerging excuse that's going to be brought up repeatedly this season.

Can he ask Onana to stop taking so long on the ball, ffs. Especially when we are chasing game.

You're being deliberately obtuse, by your own logic we were inches away from winning 2-0.

I'm not. Just pointing out that its not accurate to say we were unlucky when Brighton matched us in all key statistical areas, and beat us in the one area that truly counts.

Its not unlucky to be outshot and basically matched in possession or to have literally zero offside calls. They were simply a well coached and better disciplined side today.

ZhlTN50.png

You watch Spurs play under their manager who is in his second season, and there’s a very clear plan and pattern to their play. You can at least understand what is it they are trying to achieve. Yet here we are after 2 seasons, still looking for excuses to keep a manager who has been instrumental in us finishing with a negative GD and our lowest ever league position
Sounds like we'll be to replace ETH coaching staff. Again. It must be it.

A lot of the individual errors and sloppy play were by players you just sort of except it from. Hopefully they get phased out or improve as the season progresses.

It was a very disheartening game to lose, when we were so close to getting somthing. It was just another avoidable defeat, but that’s the story far too often under Ten Hag.

This is all this is. Shows who can watch football and who can’t. Again, I’d have changed manager.

Do you think being condescending like this is adding value to the discussion? All this thread shows is who can debate reasonably. It seems like your ego can’t handle the fact that the stats of the game don’t back up your viewpoint. Stats aren’t everything but it’s the closest thing to objectivity that we have and you’re the one who kept lobbing the term around while completely ignoring them, so why don’t you give the superiority complex a rest.

His credit in the bank for all those that supported him staying won’t be so forgiving this season.

He better start getting consistent results or he’ll be out of a job really soon as I can see this turning toxic again.

The structure of the team still isn’t right. We still don’t have a clue if we are an attacking or defensive minded team.

This is more than just transfers..

Maybe Erik is the "Rashford of managers", with potential for brilliance, where he can outplay The Pep in a cup final, but highly inconsistent over the length of the entire season and has many games in which you wonder wtf he was thinking :)

I still hope he succeeds, for our own sake, but this season is his last chance for sure so he better get his shit together

There are folks who are watching through the lens of wanting the manager gone, and there are plenty who overreact either way.

I agree with you, I thought we were the better team, looked in control for most of the match, and were let down by numerous individual mistakes, both going forward ruining our attacks, and at the back.

There are also folk watching who want to stick by the Manager and will provide every excuse possible to ensure he isn't critised.

We were not in control in the 2nd half at all. I don't understand why people have to over exaggerate.

I'm not. Just pointing out that its not accurate to say we were unlucky when Brighton matched us in all key statistical areas, and beat us in the one area that truly counts.

See below. Its not unlucky to be outshot and basically matched in possession or to have literally zero offside calls. They were simply a well coached and better disciplined side today.

ZhlTN50.png

Brighton were nowhere near us in the first half, the second half was pretty even, but we had the ball in dangerous areas throughout the match and wasted it with poor passing. We were a few misplaced passes away from having multiple easy chances.

By your logic perhaps taking some potshots to get the shot count up would have made us the better team, but I disagree with your interpretation of the stats.

What qualities do you see in him that makes you think he'll be a success?
I'm honestly curious.

Honestly, i think the way he has handled a number of issues with players such as Ronaldo and Sancho has been good. He also has the fact that even in a dysfunctional structure he won silverware in consecutive seasons. The players he has signed/brought through have been great overall (Antony excluded) and overall i see definite improvements in style of play.

We looked the better team for most of the game today and we lost due to two weak links in the team that the manager chose to put there:

1. No striker;
2. Rashford;
3. Maguire.

Obviously everything that is good set out above is pointless if he regularly gets decisions wrong that costs us games so I’m worried about his future here after today!