Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah we're in serious, serious trouble. We'll stick with him until it's completely impossible to do anything else. This will mean another horrendous season ahead. So sad to see another write off season.

It feels like it doesn't it.

When a club has to make statements officially backing a struggling manager it's rarely a good sign for their prospects of keeping their job.
They didnt. It was from before the game. It was more of routine answer.

And even David Moyes had a goal difference of over 20.
Even long bemoaned LVG ball still netted him a GD of +58 in all comps and +39 in the league through his time here when he was sacked

Says it all about these last 2 seasons...

Of course you slowly lose defensive discipline if you aren't regularly drilling it anymore, these things don't disappear overnight. There are countless examples of new managers benefitting from what their predecessors left behind immediately, with the team slowly losing previous strengths the longer they spent with the new manager. A great example is Roberto Martinez, who was hailed as the guy we should have gotten instead of Moyes or Van Gaal, until Everton lost the defensive solidity that Moyes had built and Martinez couldn't maintain.

Potter consistently had Brighton conceding a relatively few goals. De Zerbi wasn't able to maintain that solidity when implementing his approach, and had them conceding more goals than any team that wasn't relegated. As I said, if relegation form and conceding loads of goals are acceptable qualifications for the United job in your view, then we should just stick with Ten Hag.

Provide me a source that says he wasn't drilling any defensive tactics? He played a high pressing game, went man to man both high up the pitch and in the defensive third. The changes were blatantly clear from the off. And I'm not saying he was better or worse than Potter, as I rated his work there too, but it was completely different. Potter was more cautious, liked his team to recycle the ball more and play the odds better with their passing. He also would often use 3/5 at the back.

De Zerbi played a high risk game but something much more in line with what other top coaches are doing. This high risk (drawing the press) became their undoing more when they had key players missing or sold, and the level of ability in his team dropped. He came in and unlocked Brighton in attack, and I believe with better players his football could be very good. The praise he had from the likes of Klopp and Pep is a testament to his football. But I don't look at it black and white like you. I saw a brand of football that could be something special with a better squad of players. You really, really want to ignore the injuries to try to make a daft point about his defensive issues being down to the players seemingly forgetting how to defend because of him, but you simply can't be taken seriously if you won't acknowledge it.

I'd have loved to have seen what you would have said about Jurgen Klopp after his spell at Mainz. Dortmund saw the potential and the rest was history. Even after he got them relegated and failed to get them promoted. Football isn't black and white, and sometimes managers have good ideas that are held back by players (or injuries and sale of key players, in this case). When he had his team with less injuries, he took them into Europe for the first time in their history. Everybody knew they would struggle the following season due to their depth, or lack of, but seemingly not you. This was only compounded by injury right across the team.

Besides, the story at the moment is that we did look at him but the money was an issue. So hopefully Ineos are able to recognise potential. It is seemingly beyond you, given you keep asking us to name a suitable replacement for a poor coach, and then find fault with every option. Even though there's coaches available, who are proven to be better than Ten Hag (eg Tuchel). You hide behind this facade of saying you'd be open to replacing him with the right option, but really you're just not as brave a certain other posters who are clear in their support of Ten Hag. Which I believe is actually the motivation behind your deluded posts, as you've kept this nonsense up throughout this shit show that has been the last 12 months.

Ashworth made it clear in his interview that he had no say in the ten Hag decision.

So you had no say in keeping him?

Ashworth: I didn’t start until July 1, so none whatsoever.

He's going nowhere.

Ineos are not stupid enough to bin him when the replacements are themselves a mixture of underwhelming to mediocre.

They'll have tuned into the 'player power' culture of downing tools and playing to get the manager sacked, just to take the proverbial with the new guy.

Also will accept their own culpability, not cave into knee-jerk demands from a sugar-fed, unrealistic fanbase and back their man against they and their media misinformers.

Until October, anyway.

ETH won the FA cup after getting easy draws, fluking a basketball game against Liverpool and totally changing his tactics against Man City. The pragmatic approach in the final was a refreshing change and hinted at more to come this season.

After doing so well will the false nine and more compact midfield, what on earth possessed the guy to go back to a clearly flawed system against Liverpool yesterday? He is totally out of his depth and incredibly arrogant thinking his system is ever going to work with the players he has available

Did it? I think the pragmatic approach lead to a result that we all enjoyed and celebrated, but there wasn't really anything about it as an approach that hinted at more. It was a one shot deal, playing compact defensive football and countering at speed, but nothing about it was sustainable, and nor should it be for what the club aspires to be.

The only thing that was encouraging about the approach was Ten Hag finally showing some nous in how he countered his opponent and getting such a disciplined defensive performance out of everyone. He does deserve credit for that.

But as I say, it was a one off performance in circumstances where you could understand why he took that approach. His job this season is to start building an identifiable way of playing that utilises the strengths of his players and creates a cohesive approach across the team.

For me, I was quite strongly ETH out by the end of last season, but after the decision was made to keep him I put that aside and wished for it to start coming together. As with last season I understand some of the mitigating factors coming into this season. But everything is still so chaotic and fragmented. As abject as that last game was, I'd still have not felt too negative towards him had I not seen that response to the journo in the post-match presser. A laundry list of complaints we all have, and his response isn't to try and explain what he's trying to achieve or explain how the team are working to improve, it's to act like a condescending prick. If that's his response to valid concerns about what we see on the pitch, it shatters any belief I have that he can be self-critical and question his own approach.

Ashworth made it clear in his interview that he had no say in the ten Hag decision.

Its true but even if it wasn't, can you blame him :lol:

Even if they communicated, it's not the same as being in the building and being involved in the discussions. I've said it since the decision was made, I think it would've went differently if Ashworth and Berrada were officially at the club. Ratcliffe, Brailsford and Wilcox decided to sack him then changed their minds after the search for the new coach. That indicates to me they couldn't agree on the new coach and/or didn't want to stick Ashworth with a manager he couldn't work with. I think they felt better about ten Hag after meeting him in Ibiza and felt he was open to the changes they wanted to make so decided just to stick with him.

He legally has to say that because he was on gardening leave no?

I have no doubt he was involved via whatsapp/zoom/carrier pigeons.

Quotes are from before the Pool game. Does suggest it will have to get a lot worse before a decision is made though.

Sure feels like EtH will get even more pressure now. He will not get that backing more than once imo. First nail in the coffin moment.

Sure feels like EtH will get even more pressure now. He will not get that backing more than once imo. First nail in the coffin moment.

No under fire manager gets 2 media bailouts from their bosses. I cant think of it ever happening.

What else are they going to say after two games?

Let's see how long they back him, should the rogue, fecked up style of play continue - there's no way this set up is the "game model".

Or perhaps they enjoy seeing Old Trafford half empty with 20 minutes left.

The FA Cup final aside which was a great one off win I've just reminded myself of the teams we beat to win it and how we beat some of them and the previous year's League Cup run.

I know a trophy is a trophy but compare these games to a league campaign and he has to go. It's not gonna get better folks.

I would be so happy to be proved wrong but it's never going to happen.

Probably the manager ive disliked the most and I didn't think Moyes would be beaten in that regard.

I don't think that’s the case. If they were being stingy, they wouldn’t have supported him so heavily in the transfer market. It seems to me that they felt there were too many issues last season to solely blame ETH and sack him, so they chose to keep him. Now, having given him ample support to a point where they replaced majority of the coaching staff and also revamping the medical staff, any further failures will be squarely on him. Of course, the players should also bear some responsibility for me, but ETH no longer has any excuses. He gets the team firing or he's out.

I think the whole talk of supporting him in the market is just optics. They just signed the players / profiles that they think will improve the squad (and that they definitely did). A better squad will help Ten Hag but the goal wasn't to back the manager, it was to improve the squad in a way that made sense in the medium / long term. Subtle difference IMO.

I think the squad's good enough for top four, so yeah if he doesn't deliver in the new structure, he's out.

The fact that he thought the team could sustain any attack with a front four of Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho and Zirkzee on his first start against liverpool, with Casemiro behind them, is enough to sack him in my view.

His stay of execution did not teach him anything at all.

He's going nowhere.

Ineos are not stupid enough to bin him when the replacements are themselves a mixture of underwhelming to mediocre.

They'll have tuned into the 'player power' culture of downing tools and playing to get the manager sacked, just to take the proverbial with the new guy.

Also will accept their own culpability, not cave into knee-jerk demands from a sugar-fed, unrealistic fanbase and back their man against they and their media misinformers.

Until October, anyway.
If we don't at least beat Southampton and Palace in our upcoming cluster of games it will become difficult.

Probably the manager ive disliked the most and I didn't think Moyes would be beaten in that regard.

Watched a Moyes interview the other talk where he talked about his time at United.

I've become much less sour on him. He pretty much said between the lines that the job was too big for him.

I'm not commenting on their quality or lackthereof. I'm asking who do you think identified them as targets to sign this summer if Ten Hag wasn't still steering the recruitment ship?
I have to believe that INEOS claim that they are calling the shots on transfers is true.They would be insane to let ETH do it alone as he's obviously not able to. From what I heard he did not want Ugarte and had to be convinced. He still has a transfer veto in his contract from what I hear.

I think the whole talk of supporting him in the market is just optics. They just signed the players / profiles that they think will improve the squad (and that they definitely did). A better squad will help Ten Hag but the goal wasn't to back the manager, it was to improve the squad in a way that made sense in the medium / long term. Subtle difference IMO.

I think the squad's good enough for top four, so yeah if he doesn't deliver in the new structure, he's out.
This squad is currently not good enough for top 6, that’s why we came 8th last season with 14 defeats and -1 GD, guess what 1/12th of a new season 66% loss rate and •3 GD,

Let’s be realistic here City, Liverpool, Arsenal , Chelsea, Newcastle, Chelsea and Villa have far better squads right now. Each of those teams has at least 2/3 players who will get you 10-15 goals in the EPL this season, we barely have 1!

It’s time to get real Watkins, Bailey and Rogers or Duran are better than what we have, Isaak, Gordon, Barnes are far superior to our front three and the other teams reserve strikers are better than our front three, We don’t score Goals and this needs to be addressed immediately or ETH must go!

When Fans were losing their s…over Zirkzee to go with Hojlund, I said then we need a top number 9, that’s what United do go spend £100m on Victor Gyrokes and do it in January , tell the other two strikers if they are not at double figure by January one of them will be replaced, that’s how United need to operate, we’ve been a joke for far too long!

Newcastle, Chelsea and Villa have far better squads right now.

None of them do, at all. "Far better" :lol: Spurs don't either. It's only Arsenal, City and Liverpool (and only because of the quartet of Alisson, van Dijk, Salah, and Trent, otherwise their squad isn't that special either)

Did it? I think the pragmatic approach lead to a result that we all enjoyed and celebrated, but there wasn't really anything about it as an approach that hinted at more. It was a one shot deal, playing compact defensive football and countering at speed, but nothing about it was sustainable, and nor should it be for what the club aspires to be.

The only thing that was encouraging about the approach was Ten Hag finally showing some nous in how he countered his opponent and getting such a disciplined defensive performance out of everyone. He does deserve credit for that.

But as I say, it was a one off performance in circumstances where you could understand why he took that approach. His job this season is to start building an identifiable way of playing that utilises the strengths of his players and creates a cohesive approach across the team.

For me, I was quite strongly ETH out by the end of last season, but after the decision was made to keep him I put that aside and wished for it to start coming together. As with last season I understand some of the mitigating factors coming into this season. But everything is still so chaotic and fragmented. As abject as that last game was, I'd still have not felt too negative towards him had I not seen that response to the journo in the post-match presser. A laundry list of complaints we all have, and his response isn't to try and explain what he's trying to achieve or explain how the team are working to improve, it's to act like a condescending prick. If that's his response to valid concerns about what we see on the pitch, it shatters any belief I have that he can be self-critical and question his own approach.
Well said. As a supporter it’s fecking annoying to see your manager wave around his cup wins like a couple of winning lottery tickets any time someone asks why his midfield is getting shredded routinely.

Also I was never really impressed with the “false 9/box midfield” thing because it was always a bit of a gimmick designed to make us tough to play against at the start of games but would lack even more fire power than we already have. Not to mention it forces Bruno even higher and closer to CB’s where he struggles in tight spaces. But either way, I was very much like you where I’ve been out on him for a quite long time but after the decision was made this summer just resigned myself to approaching this year with an open mind considering most everyone is fit now. Well that lasted 3 games.

What else are they going to say after two games?

Let's see how long they back him, should the rogue, fecked up style of play continue - there's no way this set up is the "game model".

Or perhaps they enjoy seeing Old Trafford half empty with 20 minutes left.
Being compelled to say anything at all officially just 2 matches in is definitely an alarm bell moment in and of itself...

None of them do, at all. "Far better" :lol: Spurs don't either. It's only Arsenal, City and Liverpool (and only because of the quartet of Alisson, van Dijk, Salah, and Trent, otherwise their squad isn't that special either)
We are talking about attack, Scoring goals my friend let me remind you of last year PL teams top goal scorers in order ;
1. Man City - 96 goals
2. Atsenal - 91 goals
3. Liverpool - 86 Goals
4. Newcastle - 85 Goals
5. Chelsea - 77 Goals
6. Villa. - 76 Goals
7. spurs. - 74 Goals
8. West Ham - 60 Goals
= 10th
Man Utd - 57 Goals
= 10th
Palace - 57 Gials

This suggests your argument is incredibly flawed as United under ETH or in the previous season under Ragnorak scored less than 59 goals!

90% voting sack is unexpected to say the least, I would of voted sack even before this game honestly.
We are going nowhere with this guy in charge, last season there were injuries, now it's new players needed to adjust and so on. It will never end.
We are poor all over the pitch and a mid table team.

Yeah should be 100%, know it's a terrible thing to say but wondering if winning that FA Cup has cost us crucial points at start of season

We are talking about attack, Scoring goals my friend let me remind you of last year PL teams top goal scorers in order ;
1. Man City - 96 goals
2. Atsenal - 91 goals
3. Liverpool - 86 Goals
4. Newcastle - 85 Goals
5. Chelsea - 77 Goals
6. Villa. - 76 Goals
7. spurs. - 74 Goals
8. West Ham - 60 Goals
= 10th
Man Utd - 57 Goals
= 10th
Palace - 57 Gials

This suggests your argument is incredibly flawed as United under ETH or in the previous season under Ragnorak scored less than 59 goals!

That's the result of the tactical system being shit. It's not the players who forgot how to play football overnight. We scored 121 goals under Ole in the 20/21 season, with an attack that's arguably only marginally better than our current one. There's definitely not 60 goals between our current attack and 20/21 attack anyway.